Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
We know Alastor gets along well with the cannibals, and Rosie in particular. He also is fond of Mimzy although that has a limit.

I'm extremely interested in his relationship with Nifty. Did she sell his soul to Alastor too or is he just really close to her? What makes Nifty different other than she doesn't ever talk back and is also a lunatic? Really want to see the backstory of how the two of them met and I'd also like to know what Nifty did in her human life to get sent to hell. The funny little gag of her going blank and starring at any camera pointed at her is probably going to end up not being as funny once we learn about her human life :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KORNOLOGY posted:

LarryB can you bullet point this? Plzzxxx

Tell me how to do that and sure

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Is Alastor and his persona separate entities? Then, who has the biggest D in heaven or hell?

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
It's not Adam he's lieing don't believe him

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I hope before the show is over we go to see Alastor at full power, even if it's only for like a few minutes. I want to see what that's like

Pretty sure he gave Adam everything he had. Unfortunately for him, that was also where he learned that everything he had included some hard upper limits.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

perfect Lilith would be: someone most ppl have never heard of who is in or adjacent to the current cast's musical theatre cliques

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
So bets down, what kind of serial killer was Alastar?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Darth Walrus posted:

Pretty sure he gave Adam everything he had. Unfortunately for him, that was also where he learned that everything he had included some hard upper limits.

What if, instead of whatever fuckery he was doing, he just used an angelic weapon and did a little stabbing, like Niffty did? I think it could relate to whoever has clipped his wings, but Alastor could have done things differently in that fight.

That said, his "Wait, what just happened?" moment was great, especially when Lucifer showed up and dominated his fight against Adam effortlessly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Njashi9 posted:

Interesting that when Alastor makes his deal with Charlie a bunch of stitches appear on him. Something put in place by whoever has him on a leash?

We actually see them in the second episode. He also has an "X" hovering in front of his head which is not dissimilar to the "X" in front of Vaggie's eye, make of that what you will.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The red x on Alastors forehead is where he got shot.

That's been one thing that's lasted before the show was a show.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We actually see them in the second episode. He also has an "X" hovering in front of his head which is not dissimilar to the "X" in front of Vaggie's eye, make of that what you will.

Alastor canonically was shot in the head by a hunter who mistook him for a deer. He was out burying a body in the Louisiana bayou when it happened hence the swamp in his room. Also I think him eating poo poo in his fight with Adam was pure poetry for a number of reasons. Carmilla spells it out very clearly, to kill an angel you need two things; angelic steel and the motivation of doing it out of love or protecting someone you care about. Alastor in his arrogance had neither of these things because he thought he didn't need them. He was so utterly convinced of his own superiority he disregarded the two things absolutely needed to kill an angel and got bodied for it. Lucifer came in and ate not only because he's a fallen seraphim but he was protecting his daughter the entire time. You'll note he never even killed Adam he just kicked the poo poo out of him easily. Everyone at the hotel who used angelic steel or did it out of altruism either won or in Pentious's case got redeemed straight up to heaven. The one who lost was Alastor because he just refused to lower himself to their methods.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

He didn’t kill Adam because Charlie stopped him before he could deliver the final blow. Otherwise yeah, that was the first instance where Alastor’s overconfidence bit him in the rear end (and I suspect it won’t be the last)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KORNOLOGY posted:

Almost definitely cannibalistic. Though he may have also liked eating raw deer, though that bit might be more symbolic. I've seen fanon that he was a radio host who'd taunt the authorities over the air.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

He didn’t kill Adam because Charlie stopped him before he could deliver the final blow. Otherwise yeah, that was the first instance where Alastor’s overconfidence bit him in the rear end (and I suspect it won’t be the last)

Ngl I'm genuinely curious if he could beat Adam to death with his bare hands because as an angel he technically qualifies as an angelic weapon. Or if he'd just pulverize the dude and he just wouldn't die.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Peanut Butler posted:

perfect Lilith would be: someone most ppl have never heard of who is in or adjacent to the current cast's musical theatre cliques

Kristin Chenoweth.

Really "unique" speaking voice, but a BEAUTIFUL singing voice. Also did VO work for Robot Chicken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdOOgivAYno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFnreeWgjQI (especially the evil little cackle at 3:40)

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 6, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

KORNOLOGY posted:

He is a frequent visitor to Cannibal Town. That might be a big hint.

Or maybe he likes how they smile so often, it's similar to his own.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kristin Chenoweth.

Really "unique" speaking voice, but a BEAUTIFUL singing voice. Also did VO work for Robot Chicken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdOOgivAYno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFnreeWgjQI (especially the evil little cackle at 3:40)

This is a great pick. She was recently on Schmigadoon! but that didn't get picked up for another season so, aside from some producing, she's probably available for the role too. I got to see her live in On the Twentieth Century and she was wonderful.

On a related note, I'm wondering when they're going to be able to get Lucifer's lines recorded for season 2 with Jeremy Jordan playing Gatsby in The Great Gatsby opening on Broadway in March. It feels like he's going to be pretty busy with that for a while.

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 6, 2024

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Flopsy posted:

Carmilla spells it out very clearly, to kill an angel you need two things; angelic steel and the motivation of doing it out of love or protecting someone you care about.

All I know is that this makes me love and respect MVP Niffty even more

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Rosalind posted:

This is a great pick. She was recently on Schmigadoon! but that didn't get picked up for another season so, aside from some producing, she's probably available for the role too. I got to see her live in On the Twentieth Century and she was wonderful.

She'd probably go for it simply on the merits of it being religious but not full of itself, and also she'd get to pretend to be tall. >.>

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rosalind posted:

On a related note, I'm wondering when they're going to be able to get Lucifer's lines recorded for season 2 with Jeremy Jordan playing Gatsby in The Great Gatsby opening on Broadway in March. It feels like he's going to be pretty busy with that for a while.

Might have to get him in the studio in February then. I mean I know they've already started recording for season 2 and if the apple on the hotel is any indication Lucifer is moving in to be closer to his daughter.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Macaluso posted:

We know Alastor gets along well with the cannibals, and Rosie in particular. He also is fond of Mimzy although that has a limit.

I'm extremely interested in his relationship with Nifty. Did she sell his soul to Alastor too or is he just really close to her? What makes Nifty different other than she doesn't ever talk back and is also a lunatic? Really want to see the backstory of how the two of them met and I'd also like to know what Nifty did in her human life to get sent to hell. The funny little gag of her going blank and starring at any camera pointed at her is probably going to end up not being as funny once we learn about her human life :v:

Niffty should at the very least get a song next season, possibly played straight as a Shirley Temple, But Deranged number, or something going further afield.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

Niffty should at the very least get a song next season, possibly played straight as a Shirley Temple, But Deranged number, or something going further afield.

Kimiko's definitely got some pipes on her. I remember her "Who is She" number from Centaurworld was amazing.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Flopsy posted:

Carmilla spells it out very clearly, to kill an angel you need two things; angelic steel and the motivation of doing it out of love or protecting someone you care about. Alastor in his arrogance had neither of these things because he thought he didn't need them. He was so utterly convinced of his own superiority he disregarded the two things absolutely needed to kill an angel and got bodied for it.

His creepy shadow tentacles used angelic weapons to kill some mook exterminators around his shield. Otherwise, agreed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I finished it again with a friend who thought helluva boss was pretty good. He liked Hazbin hotel a bunch but he had two critques.

1. pacing. the pacing was very breakneck and while most of the story still worked, we think it needed 12 episodes in stead of 8. i wanted to see the friendships of the characters fleshed out more, maybe visit heaven again or have more of the vees.

2. swearing. this is less a problem with "too much swearing" and more "charlie and Alastor probably should have swore less because it doesnt fit their characters(though i think al only says gently caress like 3 times) and also sometimes the swearing ruins a good line or two"

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Alastor's cursing is his tell.

Charlie comes off to me as someone who is intentionally trying not to swear like a sailor and has gotten used to it, but will slip right back into it like a comfortable sweater any time the pressure's on without even noticing.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
12 episodes probably would've been ideal, especially if they could use at least two of them to re-do the pilot and maybe adapt those prequel comics that I didn't even know were a thing until they were just posted, then another two to spread out the existing material and let some characters and plot beats breathe. I'm terminally online so "oh, you need to read these two comics AND watch a pilot on YouTube to get the full story" isn't a huge ask overall, but any kind of ask like that will inevitably end up turning off some people who don't know or don't care and just end up feeling lost when trying to check out episode one of the Brand New Thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I still find it odd they didn’t stick the pilot up on Amazon with the rest of the series if they were going to count it as canon (though you can sort of get a sense of who everyone is and what’s going on during the first episode of the series proper)

Not sure why they removed those two prequel comics from the official site either

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I finished it again with a friend who thought helluva boss was pretty good. He liked Hazbin hotel a bunch but he had two critques.

1. pacing. the pacing was very breakneck and while most of the story still worked, we think it needed 12 episodes in stead of 8. i wanted to see the friendships of the characters fleshed out more, maybe visit heaven again or have more of the vees.

2. swearing. this is less a problem with "too much swearing" and more "charlie and Alastor probably should have swore less because it doesnt fit their characters(though i think al only says gently caress like 3 times) and also sometimes the swearing ruins a good line or two"

100% agree with these points.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Speaking of swearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awbOZC-4lD4

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Adder Moray posted:

Alastor's cursing is his tell.

Charlie comes off to me as someone who is intentionally trying not to swear like a sailor and has gotten used to it, but will slip right back into it like a comfortable sweater any time the pressure's on without even noticing.

It’s less he should never swear it’s just cut it down a bit be we agree. I think his best was the “gently caress you” toward luci and “gently caress” when he is wounded. I don’t disagree about Charlie but that’s why it should have been less. Everyone else can swear as much as they want.

Nikumatic posted:

12 episodes probably would've been ideal, especially if they could use at least two of them to re-do the pilot and maybe adapt those prequel comics that I didn't even know were a thing until they were just posted, then another two to spread out the existing material and let some characters and plot beats breathe. I'm terminally online so "oh, you need to read these two comics AND watch a pilot on YouTube to get the full story" isn't a huge ask overall, but any kind of ask like that will inevitably end up turning off some people who don't know or don't care and just end up feeling lost when trying to check out episode one of the Brand New Thing.

Also a lot of the world is sorta explained more in helluva boss to various degrees.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It’s less he should never swear it’s just cut it down a bit be we agree. I think his best was the “gently caress you” toward luci and “gently caress” when he is wounded. I don’t disagree about Charlie but that’s why it should have been less. Everyone else can swear as much as they want.

Also a lot of the world is sorta explained more in helluva boss to various degrees.

If I'm being honest I'm not a fan of excessive cursing because it takes a lot of the "Oomph" out scenes where it should have more impact. Like when Valentino called Charlie a oval office it just rolled off me like nothing because by this point the cursing had been such a continuous feature I didn't react at all. I don't mind swearing in my media but it's sort of like a spice. You add it in to make something tastier in pinches you don't dump an entire container of cinnamon into the mix and call it a day.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VAs "fill the swear jar": https://youtu.be/awbOZC-4lD4?si=Be8KcdwWhqIm2_pn

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

If I'm being honest I'm not a fan of excessive cursing because it takes a lot of the "Oomph" out scenes where it should have more impact. Like when Valentino called Charlie a oval office it just rolled off me like nothing because by this point the cursing had been such a continuous feature I didn't react at all. I don't mind swearing in my media but it's sort of like a spice. You add it in to make something tastier in pinches you don't dump an entire container of cinnamon into the mix and call it a day.

I sorta agree. I think compared to helluva boss, it’s way less sweary and I honestly think the swearing works better in that show than Hazbin. My issue is I think some characters should swear less than others and also just have better timing with it. Angel, husk, and adam and the vees I don’t mind swearing a ton because it’s in their nature but I do think it robs some jokes of a hit or a story beat. Like i think the show is mostly good writing and and i think it’s maybe a couple lines that don’t land because of it. To me the pacing was a bigger, everything connected and worked but it was very rushed at times. Can’t wait for more either way.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

The Last Call posted:

He is a frequent visitor to Cannibal Town. That might be a big hint.

Or maybe he likes how they smile so often, it's similar to his own.

Alastor's shadow is a deer demon, he's seen eating rotting deer, I maintain he has DiD due to all the plates he's spinning.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Blitzo will swear more in a single sentence than every character in Hazbin does in a whole episode, let's be serious here please

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

I am unsurprised that Stephanie Beatriz and Joel Perez won that little contest lol Hearing a little bit of Mirabel in there makes me laugh too.

Also why do I think this is a reply to people saying there's too much swearing in the show?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Blitzo will swear more in a single sentence than every character in Hazbin does in a whole episode, let's be serious here please

yeah this. I am not trying to act like it has to much swearing. just that some of the jokes could have landed better with less sometimes.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

KORNOLOGY posted:

Alastor's shadow is a deer demon, he's seen eating rotting deer, I maintain he has DiD due to all the plates he's spinning.

Alastors big demon form is often referred to his wendigo form by many people. Not thats releated to anything I'm sure, certainly nothing to do with eating meat.

Alastors mic staff, is not a random object. It's literally a piece of him. That's been stated by the voice of God herself. Same goes for Sir Pentious hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

No arguments here I definitely notice the difference.

The Last Call posted:

Alastors big demon form is often referred to his wendigo form by many people. Not thats releated to anything I'm sure, certainly nothing to do with eating meat.

Alastors mic staff, is not a random object. It's literally a piece of him. That's been stated by the voice of God herself. Same goes for Sir Pentious hat.

I wonder if this means when Adam broke the Mike he "cut" Alastor's throat in a way. Or damaged his voice box seeing as the Mike is such a large part of him.