Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

anyone who posts all week instead of working is my apprentice.

where's my paycheck/bourbon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m hoping to be done interviewing tomorrow and get an offer. Probably would have heard something Friday, but Teams decided to poo poo the bed right after and my interview was on Teams.

I’m still also aiming for a different position at a start up. Both have their pros and cons. it’s either start up with a chill rear end manager and a company that says they want to be UX focused in building their company with a head of design that was employee 10 or a place with the standard too much involvement from C Level on roadmaps and projects. another chill manager and more developed UX team.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PokeJoe posted:

where's my paycheck/bourbon

apprentice is an unpaid position sorry

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

you great great great great grandfather of a bitch :argh:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was being spammed by a recruiter and things are somewhat annoying at work /w stagnant pay lately, so I told them I'd consider switching but only for more money, as I am full WFH and have an okay salary. I also gave them my rough salary.

They proceeded to send me a bunch of jobs that advertise they pay less than what I make, some significantly so.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

maybe it's because I'm a foreigner and they thought I was a sucker or something I dunno, I don't need a visa or anything though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
never expect anything from a recruiter. basic knowledge of what technologies are which, the mere difference between java and javascript, basic literacy and numeracy, never expect anything. the only true signal you get from recruiters is the fact of their existence, which indicates that someone somewhere is hiring somebody

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

never expect anything from a recruiter. basic knowledge of what technologies are which, the mere difference between java and javascript, basic literacy and numeracy, never expect anything. the only true signal you get from recruiters is the fact of their existence, which indicates that someone somewhere is hiring somebody

even that isn't true! there are tons of fake recruiters who are gathering intel

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

rotor posted:

apprentice is an unpaid position sorry

not in the shitposters local 219. sounds like you need to organize

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Private Speech posted:

maybe it's because I'm a foreigner and they thought I was a sucker or something I dunno, I don't need a visa or anything though

its because most recruiters put even less thought and effort into their jobs than we do

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

raminasi posted:

i wish, when i was considering joining a startup, i'd asked myself how much time i was willing to spend managing the egos of a pair of twenty-somethings who have lots of authority but absolutely zero leadership experience

oh hey been there

they're still doing that company, I can't imagine trudging on that path for 10 years after I'd left

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

oh hey been there

they're still doing that company, I can't imagine trudging on that path for 10 years after I'd left

"stealing the vc's money"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

"stealing the vc's money"

idk, they weren't doing a great job of that even when I was around

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
cross-posting this from cjs:

my wife just sent me this

quote:

I’ve struggled with writing a resume; people told me that my resume is kind of unintelligible.. so honestly I don’t know what to write or how to write in terms of being a graphic designer in general. It might be helpful if i see other designer’s resume though. could you ask other designers’ resume on YOSPOS?

(yes, she knows what yospos is and what we do here)

so i'm relaying the message. please help her out, i could go searching on my own but i agree with her, you all are also professionals so it'd be helpful to see; you can redact details if you want, of course. she just wants to see what kind of style/what kind of language should be used (e: not that she'd do this anyway, but i will make certain she doesn't plagiarize your design, language, wording, etc.)

and she says my resume is far too technical for the kind of job she wants, so it's not useful to her

she's a graphic designer with a MFA in fine art from pratt, so she does know what she's doing. but she's also not a native english speaker and wants to land a job with an international company (to possibly transfer here), and even if that's not an option, she still wants to get a job where she utilizes her english skills so that they don't crumble into dust

n.b. for those that don't really know me, she is in korea and korean is her first language, but she speaks (and to a somewhat lesser extent) writes english fluently, as you can see from her message

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 31, 2024

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Not quite my area of expertise, but I'd expect a graphic designer to have a portfolio more than a resume. The resume is useful for the basics of where and when she worked, but the portfolio does the work of establishing her abilities as a designer.

I've interviewed and hired UX designers which is where I'm drawing from. It's great to see finished product, but also some intermediate steps, plus be able to talk through the contraints and motivations that led her to make the choices she did.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Step one: install LaTeX

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

havelock posted:

Not quite my area of expertise, but I'd expect a graphic designer to have a portfolio more than a resume. The resume is useful for the basics of where and when she worked, but the portfolio does the work of establishing her abilities as a designer.

I've interviewed and hired UX designers which is where I'm drawing from. It's great to see finished product, but also some intermediate steps, plus be able to talk through the contraints and motivations that led her to make the choices she did.

she has a portfolio and even an actual, literal book of her work, that's not the issue

she's trying to land a job in korea with a (preferably international) company where she can utilize her english skills, not only to sharpen them, but also as a way of distinguishing herself from other candidates. but she doesn't know what kind of language to use, and isn't sure what kind of formatting to use either (although i have already told her that there's no real standard for that, at least in the US)

i'm not sure if she has her updated resume finished in korean yet either, though. it's too early there for me to talk to her literally right now, but i was going to suggest just a straight translation of it with me proofreading. but whenever i'd seen her korean resume previously it seemed very different (and i'm not fluent enough in korean to understand it all anyway), so i don't know how well that'd work

but another problem with that is, well, idk anything about what a designer's resume sounds like in english, lol. she has mine, obviously, and said the language i used was far too technical for her to use as a guide (again, probably because mine's tailored to tech jobs, but still)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
korean resumes have to be very different, up to and including utterly verboten in america poo poo like headshots

knowing english does not make you like, that special in korean job market, its like 40% ostensible fluency by toefl and 10% actual fluency but peeps cant tell the actual fluency from good testtaking. upper middle class peep professional jobs are more like 75% and 25% respectively, not really close enough to make a huge order of magnitude difference

shes married to an american why would her english ever degenerate

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 31, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

korean resumes have to be very different, up to and including utterly verboten in america poo poo like headshots

knowing english does not make you like, that special in korean job market, its like 40% ostensible fluency by toefl and 10% actual fluency but peeps cant tell the actual fluency from good testtaking

yeah, that was one thing that immediately told her she'd have to remove when she was applying for jobs here lol

and anyway, even so, she still wants to get a job where she mainly works in english, i guess. idk. i'd have to ask her

but again, she's probably going to migrate here again in about a year or so, so she wants to see if she can land a job with some korean affiliate of an american company or a korean company that has a large presence in the us so she possibly wouldn't have to worry about getting a job here again

at least that's her reasoning anyway, and it seems sound enough to me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

shes married to an american why would her english ever degenerate

because of the time difference we don't get to talk as often as we'd like, and typing on a phone isn't the best way to improve her vocabulary or grammar imo. and most of her english-speaking friends aren't anywhere near her level of fluency

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
well, the one other thing i will note without actually having the resume is that the snu affiliation needs to be emphasized in korea jobs and the pratt one in american jobs (international jobs)

i mostly live in startupland doing startupland poo poo in putertouchin jobs, so thats all i got for you, dunno poo poo about design

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well, the one other thing i will note without actually having the resume is that the snu affiliation needs to be emphasized in korea jobs and the pratt one in american jobs (international jobs)

oh, yeah, she's well aware of that, though having both listed in english/international jobs certainly can't hurt

again though, if a designer wants to help us out here we'd be immensely grateful

my pms are open if you don't wanna do it publicly (and of course, i won't share it with anyone else, you can always redact whatever you want, and obviously i'm not going to doxx anyone or, again, otherwise share anything if you don't. or even if you do)

e: and again i want to emphasize that i will make certain she will not plagiarize anything. not that she'd do that in the first place, but here it is in writing so you can sue or whatever

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 31, 2024

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

from talks w my friends, designer work is also portfolio based so theres that aspect where i think this thread might let you down

does she have a portfolio site?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Share Bear posted:

from talks w my friends, designer work is also portfolio based so theres that aspect where i think this thread might let you down

does she have a portfolio site?

she did, but used a (i think adobe's) "make your own portfolio site!" template wizard and wasn't happy with that (and tbh it really was pretty bad), so she wanted me to remake it in bespoke html/css etc. for her

but i pointed out that it wouldn't be demonstrating her skills, that'd be demonstrating mine, so she decided against it (at the time anyway, i have a feeling if i ask now she'll ask me to make her a site again, lol)

like i said she has a physical portfolio though, and a book. but i agree, i think she needs a digital one too

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Hi graphic designer here, but I'm in UX now

She definitely needs a well designed site. Every job post in US requires a link to an online book of work. For me I write case studies with metrics, but she should show some roughs and iterations along with the finished piece and some write ups about the project and her involvement and how she worked with other people on the project.

She needs to think about it as her own branding, develop it and apply it to her LinkedIn, resume and site. I used wix to build mine as it's more free than a Squarespace or Adobe template.

At the end of the day it's:

Do we like her aesthetic
Can she work within a corp environment with others and follow a set process we can understand.
Coin flip about personality / culture fit bullshit

I'll DM you my resume and portfolio. It's not the most polished, but it is getting me some callbacks with cold applying at American companies.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

cheese eats mouse posted:

Hi graphic designer here, but I'm in UX now

She definitely needs a well designed site. Every job post in US requires a link to an online book of work. For me I write case studies with metrics, but she should show some roughs and iterations along with the finished piece and some write ups about the project and her involvement and how she worked with other people on the project.

She needs to think about it as her own branding, develop it and apply it to her LinkedIn, resume and site. I used wix to build mine as it's more free than a Squarespace or Adobe template.

At the end of the day it's:

Do we like her aesthetic
Can she work within a corp environment with others and follow a set process we can understand.
Coin flip about personality / culture fit bullshit

I'll DM you my resume and portfolio. It's not the most polished, but it is getting me some callbacks with cold applying at American companies.

cheers for this

not that cheese's stuff wasn't helpful, but again, if any other graphic designers are around and could point us in some direction that would be fantastic (and again, i won't share anything with anyone besides her, personal info or no)

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
laid off with severance. Here we go again!

Any tricks in this economy or is it still the YOSPOS mantra of 250 apps = 25 phone screens = 1 offer?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the ratio is worse for most people these days

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Feels like it. 2500 apps it is then :blastu:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

like always your network is going to be your best bet so put most of your effort there at first

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
always lurking but for all you peeps lookin for work please leverage your network (I hate saying this lmao). got laid off beginning of November and just couldn’t land anything. barely any interviews to tons of applications but I finally sucked it up and contacted an old coworker who is running a startup and he hired me on no resume no interview and I started today making more than I did at the big green dot. solid work making cyber security training and I’ve already started making a dent in their backlog.

work sucks but if I have to this is pretty good. just had to eat poo poo for a few months

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

what’s wrong with hitting up old coworkers for leads? that should be the first thing you do i don’t understand why you would intentionally hamstring yourself like that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
my newjob is a customer of my oldjob. I'm willing to bet that's the reason I went from initial phone interview to job offer in 72 hours flat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kazinsal posted:

my newjob is a customer of my oldjob. I'm willing to bet that's the reason I went from initial phone interview to job offer in 72 hours flat

hey wait this defines an edge in a graph

quick, find out most central member...

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what’s wrong with hitting up old coworkers for leads? that should be the first thing you do i don’t understand why you would intentionally hamstring yourself like that

social anxiety? inability to ask for help? I dunno i didn’t even think of it till I started getting desperate and even then it felt weird. I’m glad I did it but it can be hard to put yourself out there. just trying to remind those of us who are scared to ask

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

think of it this way: hiring is just as much of a gently caress as interviewing. almost everyone would absolutely go for the known quantity ex coworker rather than taking a chance on a rando. you’re helping your friend out just as much as they’re helping you

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Fart Sandwiches posted:

social anxiety? inability to ask for help? I dunno i didn’t even think of it till I started getting desperate and even then it felt weird. I’m glad I did it but it can be hard to put yourself out there. just trying to remind those of us who are scared to ask

think of it this way: if an old coworker reached out to you, would it make you feel good or bad to help them?

for people reading this in the future, reaching out to old friends and cow orkers is the first fuckin thing you should do

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

rotor posted:

think of it this way: if an old coworker reached out to you, would it make you feel good or bad to help them?

for people reading this in the future, reaching out to old friends and cow orkers is the first fuckin thing you should do

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

rotor posted:

good advice, but reaching out to cow orkers is only really useful if you're looking to get into cow orking yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

well-read undead posted:

good advice, but reaching out to cow orkers is only really useful if you're looking to get into cow orking yourself

beef’s back on the menu boys