Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Online battles go dramatically faster than single player battles but it's hard to tell how much of that is AI versus having to fully level up 4 characters the way 4 people have leveled up 1.

and yeah everyone goes for damage. I have 2x slow on my NPC party but never see it online. . . where it would be soooo good. Slow is very powerful.

game is still fairly easy at maniac, curious about the proud jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

ultrachrist posted:

Online battles go dramatically faster than single player battles but it's hard to tell how much of that is AI versus having to fully level up 4 characters the way 4 people have leveled up 1.

and yeah everyone goes for damage. I have 2x slow on my NPC party but never see it online. . . where it would be soooo good. Slow is very powerful.

game is still fairly easy at maniac, curious about the proud jump.

Take it from someone that is trying to support online rn with revive or slow. the AI is fast af snapping these correctly, online you whiff these long cooldown things constantly. Nothing feels worse than trying to revive someone after waiting if they potion or not, then you cast it and oh you missed/oh they potioned anyways.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I wound up dropping my slow on Vaseraga in proud, status effects last significantly less time and Vaseraga's wasn't particularly good to begin with. The other noteworthy part of Proud is that everything has drastically more hp/damage so you wind up having to actually deal with fight mechanics/damage. People who build pure glass get oneshot constantly if they aren't extremely on point with evading, and my build that can facetank maniac bosses indefinitely has had to start chugging potions if I get lazy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

it sounds like from watching a handful of endgame YouTube videos it's not worth grinding for mats/sigils/MSP until you get to maniac difficulty?

after MSQ and before maniac just push toward the next difficulty?

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Entering Manic mode now, I've settled on using my paralyzing shot immediately upon fight open to allow team to close and easily apply their skills. Once it becomes available again, I then looks to use it as a pseduo counterspell for some annoying looking move when the monster is not in overdrive mode.

Where I'm at in progression, fights are ending fast enough that I'm never getting more than 2 casts of it off.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dackel posted:

Take it from someone that is trying to support online rn with revive or slow. the AI is fast af snapping these correctly, online you whiff these long cooldown things constantly. Nothing feels worse than trying to revive someone after waiting if they potion or not, then you cast it and oh you missed/oh they potioned anyways.
The fact these abilities don't auto target just motivated me to stop bothering!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fate Accomplice posted:

it sounds like from watching a handful of endgame YouTube videos it's not worth grinding for mats/sigils/MSP until you get to maniac difficulty?

after MSQ and before maniac just push toward the next difficulty?
I think the only thing that I felt regretful about before the highest difficulties was upgrading sigils at higher levels. Eventually you unlock plus version of sigils that can roll second skills and you want as many of those as possible and those are what you want to be upgrading. Spending mats on upgrading the non-plus version of those felt bad until I knew what I was doing, although the mid levels on sigils are pretty cheap.

For everything else I wouldn't sweat it, I think you want to be upgrading your main weapon and character as much as possible while progressing. Weapon values exponentially sky rocket at some point, and it's easier to get stuff later on with more power. Whether you want to grind or not is up to you, this game doesn't have nearly as much content as a mainline Monster Hunter game so you have to decide whether you want to putter around when having fun or just burn the game down ASAP.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dackel posted:

This is why Potion Hoarder is the best support option. You chug a potion and it instantly heals the whole team! Plus it gives you an extra self res.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Looking for a new main after breaking my thumbs with Lancelot all weekend, somebody sell me on yours tia

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

wereboat posted:

Looking for a new main after breaking my thumbs with Lancelot all weekend, somebody sell me on yours tia

Ferry because she carries three animal ghosts with her, and has a cool whip. :whip:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

wereboat posted:

I was drawn to the timed attack mechanic because I could tell mashing was gonna wear me out after playing Rackam. Siegfried and Ghandagoza both have timed attacks, and they're both fun while Siegfried is significantly easier to play since he doesn't have to worry about managing a meter like Ghand. Sieg also can gap close pretty well just by spamming his Y attack.

Ghand has a slow and an attack buff, while Sieg can pack team defense buffs, as well as team lifesteal and status immunity. Come to think of it, I don't think I've noticed the status immunity. Will it nullify things like sand tomb? Because the sand tomb lines on the ground in the earth dragon fight are obnoxious.

I've started hitting for just over a million damage per charge attack with Ghand. It's pretty awesome during Link Time since I can chain 5-6 of them.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 5, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Just beat Chapter 6. drat that was a fun boss fight.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Ghandagoza owns, it's real fun building up his Punch Meter and then cashing in in for a huge pile of damage.
But also you'll die a little inside every time a boss goes into overdrive bloodthirst 1 second before you finish your combo and get your big punch off.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

snapped awake from my lunch nap at work to a troubling thought:

howcome there's no playable erunes?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vitamean posted:

Ferry

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Ghandagoza owns, it's real fun building up his Punch Meter and then cashing in in for a huge pile of damage.
But also you'll die a little inside every time a boss goes into overdrive bloodthirst 1 second before you finish your combo and get your big punch off.

This. Same thing with Vaseraga when you get the flash for a charge attack and have a full scythe gauge.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

wereboat posted:

Vaseraga lets you just utterly ignore everything that bosses do until Proud difficulty, and charge a giant smash directly in their face that instantly breaks them regardless of if anyone else on your team is helping with stagger buildup.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

wereboat posted:

Ferry makes a lot of numbers happen very fast, has incredible self-buffs, a parry mechanic that lets you facetank any attack with proper timing and also has cute ghost friends

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 5, 2024

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Apparently Metera got cut too

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vitamean posted:

Going through the list of fighters in Granblue Versus Rising, I hope all of those remaining characters eventually become crew members in relink.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ghost

e: ok, male erunes

I said come in! posted:

Going through the list of fighters in Granblue Versus Rising, I hope all of those remaining characters eventually become crew members in relink.

the game has a lot of parity with launch gbvs' roster I'm kinda hoping there's a split with any additional characters (as much as I'd really like Eustace), esp characters that might not work in a fighting game.

Siete's gonna be sick when they add him in a couple months

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 5, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Kinda bummed that quick quest doesn't include Proud. Hope they add an option for that, but it's nice that you are incentivized to help people working through lower difficulty content.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Einwand posted:

Vaseraga lets you just utterly ignore everything that bosses do until Proud difficulty, and charge a giant smash directly in their face that instantly breaks them regardless of if anyone else on your team is helping with stagger buildup.

Also you can use your skill that makes enemies target you and gives you damage reduction, then use the skill that absorbs all the damage you take and swings it back at the enemies / boss, then use the skill that heals you by damaging the enemies / boss. Then do the big stun skill and start the MonHun Greatsword charge attack loops. He's fun, and dubbed by ProZD.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’ve settled on Cagliostro. She can fight at any range, dispel and buff, close distance, and also she insults the rest of the cast when they say nice things to her.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I want them to add Lobelia and Fraux.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Started streaming (without a mic) again just for the sake of recording VODs I can watch later. I am really starting to appreciate all the combat mechanics in these crazy multiboss Proud difficulty fights. There's several times where I was able to pull off some tricky stuff because the boss telegraphs are so easy to read.

Here's an entire triple boss fight vs. one Rock Golem and two Quakadiles.

https://twitch.tv/videos/2054293542

The link system encourages you to stay kind of close together, but obviously it can be hard to do that with three bosses running around.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 5, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Something a friend taught me last night is if you're a few percentage points away from 100% link you can pop a few blue potions to top off your meter as well as your HP. Helped us enter link time when we burned 3/4 ougi to knock EVYL BLACKWYRM out of overdrive only for it to immediately transition into its damage check (one person had popped theirs earlier to invuln out of a sticky situation).

another reason to pack a potion hoarder!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My opinion on the campaign turned at the end of chapter 9. This story is no where near good enough to warrant everything that happens there and the non stop bosses and forms and super long fights that chapter ended up being. And it's not even the final one. This story should have ended with chapter 8.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chapter 9 is really weak, but the main story is so short anyways that I didn't really care when all was said and done.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I was putting up with the by the numbers rpg plot because the running around the different environments and the cool set pieces was enjoyable but chapter 9 just went naw its clobberin time and I just wanna run around the grasslands more

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gorgonzola is a character I want to really like but nearly every boss seems designed to make it an absolute chore to get his Big Fist off reliably, though it's probably just coincidental to the designs. It's a bummer.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The really important thing to know as ghandagoza is that dodge rolling or link attacking in the middle of his perfect-timing combo chain maintains the combo and he can do another perfect punch afterwards instead of restarting from the beginning. That's pretty much essential to building his stacks up reliably without getting owned. If a boss moves slightly out of range before you get to the finisher you can even double or triple roll to close the distance and still hit it, it's not only for avoiding attacks. The buff skill that gives him Stout Heart (super armor so he can't be interrupted) also helps a lot when it's up since otherwise getting hit interrupts his combo and really ruins his day.

After that it's just trying to line up stuff that gives eternal rage bar. Like the ground combo gives 2/3rds of the gauge if perfect timed so instead of using two ground combos you can charge up a punch with one ground combo plus something that gives 1/3 of the gauge like a link attack (pay attention to the stun bar so you know when you can do this), Avidya, or his faster 3 hit air combo.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 6, 2024

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I forgot to say a big reason I'm salty at chapter 9 is I got the final boss of the chapter down to 1% health and then the screen darkened and DEFEATED appeared, even though I was alive and running around. It was like a 30 minute fight, and I ended up having to redo the prior fight as well because I decided to max my party out in a desperate attempt to make it go faster. I think I got it down to 20 minutes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that fight didnt take me nearly that long so you might have been underleveled/geared

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The really important thing to know as ghandagoza is that dodge rolling or link attacking in the middle of his perfect-timing combo chain maintains the combo and he can do another perfect punch afterwards instead of restarting from the beginning. That's pretty much essential to building his stacks up reliably without getting owned. If a boss moves slightly out of range before you get to the finisher you can even double or triple roll to close the distance and still hit it, it's not only for avoiding attacks. The buff skill that gives him Stout Heart (super armor so he can't be interrupted) also helps a lot when it's up since otherwise getting hit interrupts his combo and really ruins his day.

After that it's just trying to line up stuff that gives eternal rage bar. Like the ground combo gives 2/3rds of the gauge if perfect timed so instead of using two ground combos you can charge up a punch with one ground combo plus something that gives 1/3 of the gauge like a link attack (pay attention to the stun bar so you know when you can do this), Avidya, or his faster 3 hit air combo.

You can also hold the charge without rage decaying. This is probably so you can make use of the mastery that lets you parry with the charged attack. It's usually not worth waiting for a long time for the boss to maybe walk over to you so you can parry punch it, of course. It might buy you enough time for the boss to get in range of his dash skill though. Also wrt rolls, you can get up to 4 more rolls once you're far enough in the post game for the Improved Dodge sigil to drop.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The infinite hold into charge parry is really funny against bosses like the the quakedile that charge at you during their bloodlust phase. Since it's not like you have anything better to do besides avoiding stuff and waiting to parry the boss anyways.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oh I know all of that it’s more just that the gameplay loop for him feels, maybe not bad but just kinda clunky with how much bosses move around or do significant pushback or PBAoE. It’s a feel thing rather than objectively bad but I’m just not into it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Overbite posted:

I forgot to say a big reason I'm salty at chapter 9 is I got the final boss of the chapter down to 1% health and then the screen darkened and DEFEATED appeared, even though I was alive and running around. It was like a 30 minute fight, and I ended up having to redo the prior fight as well because I decided to max my party out in a desperate attempt to make it go faster. I think I got it down to 20 minutes.

Yeah are you like..not using mastery points or sigils and running around with level 1 weapons or something? I didn't do any side content at all and the fight did not take nearly that long.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Taking that long in a story fight is probably due to missing some of the fight mechanics and not from being underleveled. Like you could spend 20 minutes banging away at infinitely respawning adds instead of doing whatever the scripted thing you're supposed to do next is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Can't believe this game has completely distracted me from Infinite Wealth. Crazyness.