Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
This is the best moppet scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20v5JqcubXE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Let’s try this: If you could have Doc and Jackson go back and retcon one thing about the series, what would it be?

I’d love for them to cut out Hatred’s proclivities altogether and hurl them into the sun. I personally like the character and think he’s fun straight man as the series progresses, but holy hell good lord they poisoned that character. I know they did the whole “super soldier serum side effect” business but it shouldn’t needed that to begin with.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Strongly agree. Have the super serum just give him general villainous tendencies, there was no need to be all edgelord about it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Strongly agree. Have the super serum just give him general villainous tendencies, there was no need to be all edgelord about it.

It could still give him another habit, just one that is weird but harmless instead of that.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
The Super Soldier Serum should have turned him into a damned hulk!

But, I'm all for cutting all the.. proclivities.

He was fairly good, and menacing, sitting in the hot tub with Doc and Monarch.

I would have liked to see Hunter Gathers get their tits back, too. It would have been a happy ending for them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Warbird posted:

Let’s try this: If you could have Doc and Jackson go back and retcon one thing about the series, what would it be?

I’d love for them to cut out Hatred’s proclivities altogether and hurl them into the sun. I personally like the character and think he’s fun straight man as the series progresses, but holy hell good lord they poisoned that character. I know they did the whole “super soldier serum side effect” business but it shouldn’t needed that to begin with.

Yeah it probably would have been a lot better if it was the super-soldier serum alone that gave him big tits, cut out the pedophile thing entirely imo. When that line was used he wasn't even a character yet, they should have excised him from the series then and there.

We never really see Sargent Hatred being a super soldier, he's built like a linebacker but he's not exactly Captain America. Even in his prime I bet Two-Ton Twenty-One could kick his rear end, and he's just a really in-shape dude.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't think we ever saw Sgt. Hatred in his prime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChrisBTY posted:

~ Somebody pointed out something about Jonas beyond his simply monstrous narcissism: he couldn't face his failures. Venturion? Just threw him in the trash when he malfunctioned. Major Tom's crashed aircraft? Left at the bottom of the sea (out of 'respect for the dead' he said. Obviously a lie because you know, Venturion and all that). MUTHER malfunctions? Unplug her from the mainframe and forget about her. Don't go back for the orphans because they're another symbol of his failure with MUTHER. Go back for Humungulo? Well that's two failures down there. Jonas sure as hell wasn't going to deal with that. Given that this is a show about failure this shows in one way almost every single character in the show is better than Jonas in at least one way. Nobody else runs from their failures like Jonas does.

I'm pretty sure this goes along perfectly with the sociopathic narcissism. Nothing is more intolerable to a narcissist than their own failings, so of course they abandon and cover them up as much as possible and don't think about them, rewriting their own memories to edit them out and never acknowledge them. Combine that with the complete disregard for life and wellbeing of others beyond what makes them useful or pleasing to him, and having the power and fame to escape consequences for drat near anything, and you have the perfect setup for a trail of carnage, corpses, ruined lives and trauma that no one can even openly question long after his death because of consequences he couldn't cheat away.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

hench has killed hench

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thing to retcon: If you're going to show Jonas as being an utter bastard do it from season 1, not season 3.
Although now that I think of it; if it was actually Jonas somehow projecting himself to talk to Rusty from the PROBLEM in Gargantua 1 then he definitely was a bastard from the get-go.
'What did you do to my ship?'
The irony being that there was probably nothing wrong with the ship in the first place until Rusty shorted out the controls with his defiled space suit. (Rusty's melted action figures probably weren't harming any of the infrastructure since now we now that the PROBLEM button had nothing to do with the ship's function).

Wait, did Jonas's size in that scene have anything to do with where his head was placed in the PROBLEM I wonder...

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 2, 2024

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I really like Sgt. Hatred, and I especially like the conversation him and 21 have when they infiltrate the cacoon about why they fight. It shows Hatred is one of those guys that just wants to be a part of something, and being the Venture bodyguard was probably the best thing for him. He's basically a reverse Brock. Doc and Jackson loved him as the Venture bodyguard because when he hears "I want to shoot you with a dangerous shrink ray, then paint you like money so you can hide in a ransom bag" he's all for it! If Brock heard that he would absolutely refuse and call you dumb for suggesting it.

Yeah, I guess getting rid of Hatred's past with children is probably the retconn answer so I don't have to feel bad for liking him so much.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

They tried to create a sympathetic pedophile character. but then played the characteristic for humor.
Bad idea. Really bad idea.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

ChrisBTY posted:

They tried to create a sympathetic pedophile character. but then played the characteristic for humor.
Bad idea. Really bad idea.

They intended for him to be a one off joke. There's no such thing as a funny pedo joke, but when he was made people were searching for it. I'm pretty sure in the commentary track they call out that it was a huge mistake and they did the best they could to fix his character. Or maybe it was in the art book? I remember it and both the commentary and the book have kind of bled together into weird production trivia.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Felt like they had to one-up South Park like South Park one-upped Beavis & Butt-head or like B&B one-upped the Simpsons

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I will always rec Steak's Venture Bros video. Probably the best analysis on the net. And I pretty much align with his thoughts on Sgt Hatred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sLtporEeYw

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Could I sweet talk you into a quick summary of what those thoughts were? I've watched it a few times now but don't recall the Hatred section off the top of my head.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I believe the quote is something like:
"Anyway, he's a pedophile. That's some vile poo poo, man. That's not going away. But at least he's aware of it, and he pays for it every single day."

He really likes the character and how earnest he is. And he brings up the point limp_cheese did that he's a good opposite to Brock because Brock would never loving let you paint him green and hit him with a faulty shrink ray or have him hide in a sweltering fox hole for hours just to ambush the Monarch. Or go along with the whole Teddy Ruxpin gambit to fake torcher Rusty.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh right right, thank you. I vaguely recall him having a passable Hatred impression as well.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I liked when Sgt Hatred was just being a "model" archnemesis. He was rubbing it in the Monarch's face but it also felt like he authentically enjoyed his work. The scene where he shoots Rusty with a rubber bullet and then ends with "86 the non-lethals, we're going full nerf on this one!" That was an excellent scene

Also "I'll say it again, LUSH"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think that's one of my favorite parts of the show. He's fulfilling his guild obligations by "arching" Rusty to the minimum level he has to. He's also arching The Monarch by not harming Rusty at all. Monarch has to sit back and watch Rusty be barely even inconvenienced and he can't do anything about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I AM GONNA COOK HIM BREAKFAST IN BED

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I think in the end there’s more hatred moments that I like than dislike so I can overlook the bad origin

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I kinda hated Hatred for a long time when I was watching the show live but on my last rewatch I really came around on him. I think he’s a great character with just the most heinous loving baggage and without the stench of 2000s edgelord comedy on him he’d be a lot more easy to love. Absolutely if one thing could be changed about the show via time travel it would be his “proclivities”.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I am overweight! Over 50! And speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The scene where he almost loses control because of the elves in the Lord of the Rings analogy will always be funny to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mycomancy posted:

I'd bet it's a global phenomenon

Knew a Dermott growing up in the UAE. Mahmoud. Wonder hows he doing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The scene where he almost loses control because of the elves in the Lord of the Rings analogy will always be funny to me.

The scene made me look up Henry Darger which was quite the experience

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hatty posted:

The scene made me look up Henry Darger which was quite the experience

That is definitely one of the deepest cuts Venture Bros has made.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

“Heh, there sure are a lot of REALMS in this thing…”

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I ran into this scene on Youtube and there is probably no other scene that confuses me more than this.

https://youtu.be/G9CK7f95dn8

This isn't an accurate perception of the boys. This is from Doc's self-absorbed perspective. But I'm not even sure where he got it from.

Man, the idea that Doc thinks he doesn't need therapy because he 'grew up' is wrong and tragic. Group therapy was not for him. Also Captain Sunshine is the worst for ditching Wonder Boy when he grew up. "He's just very lonely" my rear end.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 5, 2024

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

MY APACHE FLOWER
I WANT TO DEVOUR
AND TAKE A HOT SHOWER
WITH YOUUUUUU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

ChrisBTY posted:

So I ran into this scene on Youtube and there is probably no other scene that confuses me more than this.

This isn't an accurate perception of the boys. This is from Doc's self-absorbed perspective. But I'm not even sure where he got it from.

Man, the idea that Doc thinks he doesn't need therapy because he 'grew up' is wrong and tragic. Group therapy was not for him. Also Captain Sunshine is the worst for ditching Wonder Boy when he grew up. "He's just very lonely" my rear end.

My take on Doc's perception of the boys is that Doc sees Dean as the innocent and curious boy genius Doc thought he was supposed to be when he was a boy adventurer, while he sees Hank as the normal boy Doc wanted to be when he was a kid.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ChrisBTY posted:

I actually like this scene because it reveals how much Doc misattributes his own kids. It says more about Doc than Hank or Dean.

You see aspects of this mindset with how much he leans on Dean's entry into college and Doc's thoughts on how much Hank idolizes Brock. The latter is very much true, but he incorrectly interprets that by focusing on Brock's ability to call bullshit on the dumber aspects of the adventurer life instead of Brock's field skills and general adventuring street-smarts.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

QuarkJets posted:

I liked when Sgt Hatred was just being a "model" archnemesis. He was rubbing it in the Monarch's face but it also felt like he authentically enjoyed his work. The scene where he shoots Rusty with a rubber bullet and then ends with "86 the non-lethals, we're going full nerf on this one!" That was an excellent scene

Also "I'll say it again, LUSH"
"Your response to the test is part of the test!"

That entire scene is great because Rusty's so over all the supervillain poo poo like giant spiders, but that line has stuck with me for ages because it really does describe so much of the mediocre HR box-checking bullshit you have to do when you're job searching.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thinking on it: maybe Doc sees Hank as what he was as a kid and Dean as what he is as an adult. He can project himself and his own failures onto Dean as that's his present. Hank? He's a past Doc would rather bury in the backyard and distances himself accordingly all the while pitying Hank like he pities himself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Favorite episode? I feel like Operation PROM is the obvious answer, but if I search my heart I think it's Everybody Comes to Hank's.

e: or All That and Gargantua, Too. But that more or less feels like the first Venture Bros. movie to me, so it almost doesn't count.

e2: if I were to ever do a fan edit, it would be to combine Hank's with Bright Lights, Dean City as a special.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 6, 2024

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

For me it's always either Tag Sale or Victor Echo November.
I was a sucker for the Dean/Triana "romance". Coincidentally I also stopped watching for a decade or so after Operation P.R.O.M.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My list of "these are the episodes I consider best:"

"Are You There God, It's Me, Dean"
"Tag-Sale – You're It!"
"The Trial of the Monarch"
"Hate Floats"
"Twenty Years to Midnight"
"Victor. Echo. November."
"Showdown at Cremation Creek"
"Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny"
"The Invisible Hand of Fate"
"ORB"
"Handsome Ransom"
"Everybody Comes to Hank's"
"Operation: P.R.O.M."
"What Color Is Your Cleansuit?"
"All This and Gargantua-2"
"It Happening One Night"
"Red Means Stop"
"The Venture Bros. & The Curse of the Haunted Problem"
"Arrears in Science"
"Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay but what's your Sophie's Choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

feedmyleg posted:

Favorite episode? I feel like Operation PROM is the obvious answer, but if I search my heart I think it's Everybody Comes to Hank's.

e: or All That and Gargantua, Too. But that more or less feels like the first Venture Bros. movie to me, so it almost doesn't count.

e2: if I were to ever do a fan edit, it would be to combine Hank's with Bright Lights, Dean City as a special.

Victor Echo November