Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Amtrak runs at "high speed" (Acela top speed is 150 mph although I don't know if it actually maintains it for very long) on the NE corridor if you're willing to pay $$$.

It doesn't get anywhere near it, too many crossings. It's about 30 minutes faster than the NE Regional between Boston-NYC or NYC-DC, and a lot of that is just because it makes fewer stops. So hooray, your Boston-DC trip takes 7 hours instead of 8 for the low, low price of $350.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It doesn't get anywhere near it, too many crossings. It's about 30 minutes faster than the NE Regional between Boston-NYC or NYC-DC, and a lot of that is just because it makes fewer stops. So hooray, your Boston-DC trip takes 7 hours instead of 8 for the low, low price of $350.

The Accela only has a single crossing and that was some years back, I don't know if it still has that.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

a proper carbon tax would make train rides the cheapest option by a wide margin

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
actually I was wrong, there is some, all in new london county, Connecticut.

quote:

The maximum speed limit on the Northeast Corridor is 150 mph (240 km/h) on 49.9 miles (80.3 km) of the 457-mile (735 km) route, in four sections of track in Rhode Island, Massachusetts,[6] and New Jersey. The Acela achieves an average speed (including stops) of 90 mph (140 km/h) between Washington and New York,[3][11] and an average speed of 66 mph (106 km/h) from New York to Boston.[2][13] The average speed over the entire route is 70.3 mph (113 km/h).[2][16]

quote:

Grade crossings

Passengers crossing the State Street crossing in New London after departing a northbound train

A Northeast Regional train crosses Miner Lane in Waterford, the site of a fatal accident in 2005
The entire Northeast Corridor has 11 grade crossings, all in southeastern New London County, Connecticut. The remaining grade crossings are along a part of the line that hugs the shore of Long Island Sound. Without these crossings many waterfront communities and businesses would be inaccessible from land. Six of the grade crossings have four-quadrant gates with induction loop sensors, which allow vehicles stopped on the tracks to be detected in time for an oncoming train to stop. The remaining five grade crossings, 3 near New London Union Station and two in Stonington, have dual gates.[69]

FRA rules limit track speeds on the corridor to 80 miles per hour (130 km/h) over conventional crossings and 95 miles per hour (153 km/h) over crossings with four-quadrant gates and vehicle detection tied into the signal system.[70]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Celexi posted:

The Accela only has a single crossing and that was some years back, I don't know if it still has that.

Maybe it's not crossings then, tracks or traffic or otherwise, it's still only hitting 150 mph in a couple places. I've only had one chance to take it because it's so expensive I can only use it for business travel and they normally want me on a plane for anything except BOS-NYC.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Took the train this weekend and it was great, better by far than driving or flying, but still

SimonSays has issued a correction as of 05:25 on Feb 6, 2024

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
But still what.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

withak posted:

But still what.

Oh: Via Rail is pointlessly expensive and slow even between Canada's two most populated cities, both of which are primate cities within their province and aren't very far away. They should make it cheaper and faster. Hth.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
via rail makes amtrak look like a futuristic service

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Don't think this is quite accurate anymore. A full commercial jet (and they're a lot more full on average than they used to be) gets 50-100mpg/person. Cars/light trucks average somewhere around 25mpg and have 1.5 people in them on average, so about 38mpg/person.

Of course trains still win by a mile. But they didn't add the numbers for boats because it would make the trains look bad.

Absolutely no chance in hell cars have 1.5 people in them on average in 2024 lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Absolutely no chance in hell cars have 1.5 people in them on average in 2024 lol

don’t know, everyone’s pretty fat nowadays

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Nothing on the Front Range. horseshit

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
it's all compared to things that are at least as viable as spain's madrid to valencia line, which is the most popular line entirely within spain and is served by 25 high speed rail trains a day at minumum. these are just the routes in north america that should be more viable than that line

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
high speed rail in texas and the president showing off some captured ufo live on tv are both equally on same realm

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sitting in a train right now

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah the jets lockerroom

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

yeah build a line from Rochester to Toronto with no station in Buffalo YEAH RIGHT PAL

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buffalo has carbrain (derogatory)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yeah build a line from Rochester to Toronto with no station in Buffalo YEAH RIGHT PAL

I would have killed for a high-speed rail to Toronto when I lived in Rochester.

I missed the fast ferry by a few years. :cry:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Saturday morning my power went out, and I just assumed another car drove into a power pole. Turns out, yeah, another car drove into a power pole. A 20-year-old drove his F-150 through three of them, flipped, and got launched through his windshield in a single-vehicle crash.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Saturday morning my power went out, and I just assumed another car drove into a power pole. Turns out, yeah, another car drove into a power pole. A 20-year-old drove his F-150 through three of them, flipped, and got launched through his windshield in a single-vehicle crash.

Yikes. That’s a serious wreck to make it through three of them. Hope he’s still around to learn his lesson. Those are usually pretty fatal when it only takes out one :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's a really busy sidewalk, so I'm grateful that no innocent people were hurt.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Cars are actually building seeking missiles

https://komonews.com/news/local/bel...et-sound-energy

quote:

BELLEVUE, Wash. — About 100 people were evacuated from their homes in Bellevue early Tuesday morning after a car crashed into a medical building near the Lake Hills Village, rupturing a commercial natural gas line.

The Bellevue Police Department (BPD) first posted about the crash on the 500 block of 156th Avenue Southeast just after 2:45 a.m. A department spokesperson told KOMO News crews at the scene officers were attempting to stop the car before it crashed into the Overlake primary and urgent care clinic building.

The BPD said three people were inside the car when it crashed into the building. All three people inside the car fled the scene. No one is currently in custody.

Crews from Puget Sound Energy responded to the scene to turn off the natural gas line. Around 100 residents in nearby apartments and townhomes were evacuated for about an hour before they were allowed back in their homes.

A King County Metro bus was brought to the scene so evacuated residents could sit before they were cleared to return to their homes. The Bellevue Fire Department said all buildings in the area were safe to occupy by 4 a.m.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Amtrak runs at "high speed" (Acela top speed is 150 mph although I don't know if it actually maintains it for very long) on the NE corridor if you're willing to pay $$$.

I got to ride the Acela for the first time this past week on my company's dime. It was pretty nice. A 1h10m trip from Philly to NYC, and the (new?) Moynihan Train Hall is way nicer than where NJT lets its trains out.

That said, if I was traveling there on my own dime I'd probably take SEPTA's regional rail to Trenton and then transfer to NJT ($25 and 2h40m), a bus (~$20 and ~2h with good traffic), or if there's a cheap Amtrak NEC that day (~$45 and 1h20m)

There are $11 Amtrak NEC tickets you can get, but they require you to take a midnight train, so eh. Maybe if I really wanted to save on a hotel for a day trip or something, but I'd need to like bike or take a taxi to 30th Street station since SEPTA doesn't run much that late, and that wipes out any savings or requires late night biking.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

genericnick posted:

Sitting in a train right now

insanely jealous. go get a lovely beer from the bistro car and drink it standing up at 70mph in my honor

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1755122471550820389?t=6YnDdTdTBcuXMkTx1IseBg&s=19

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

"officers were attempting to stop the car"

lol at the new wording for police chasing a car at reckless speeds

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
both roads on this intersection have a bike lane, and why was the waymo going into the intersection fast enough that it was able to hit a cyclist that was close behind a large truck?

https://missionlocal.org/2024/02/cyclist-driverless-car-collide-at-17th-and-mississippi/

quote:

A little before 3 p.m. today, a Waymo driverless car struck a cyclist at the intersection of 17th and Mississippi in Potrero Hill, leaving the cyclist with minor injuries.

According to Waymo, the autonomous vehicle hit the cyclist because the cyclist was obstructed by a large truck in the seconds before the collision. Despite the Waymo’s “heavy braking,” the self-driving car was “not able to avoid the collision.”

“The Waymo vehicle was at a complete stop at a four-way intersection. An oncoming large truck progressed through the intersection in our direction and then, at our turn to proceed, we moved into the intersection,” read the company’s statement.

“The cyclist was occluded by the truck and quickly followed behind it, crossing into the Waymo vehicle’s path. When they became unoccluded, our vehicle applied heavy braking but was not able to avoid the collision.”

Waymo said it called 911 and that the “cyclist left on their own.” The company said it was in contact with the relevant authorities regarding the incident.

The San Francisco Fire Department said that paramedics responded to a 911 call placed at 2:43 p.m. They arrived within four minutes to the intersection and “encountered a cyclist, performed an assessment and the cyclist was not transported to the hospital,” a fire department spokesperson said.

A police spokesperson wrote in a statement that, at 3:02 p.m., “San Francisco police officers responded to the area of 17th and Mississippi [streets] regarding a vehicle collision with a bicyclist.”

“Officers arrived on scene and located an autonomous vehicle that was involved in a collision,” the spokesperson wrote. “Officers located the cyclist who suffered non-life-threatening injuries.”

“No occupants of the driverless vehicle reported injury at this time,” he added. It is unclear how many people were in the car.

District 10 Supervisor Shamann Walton, who represents the area, flagged the incident half an hour later: “Driverless Waymo vehicle just struck a cyclist at 17th and Mississippi,” read his post. “So much for safety.”

The Board of Supervisors has long been critical of autonomous vehicles in the city, with Board President Aaron Peskin frequently stating that the technology is “not ready for prime time.”

In October, a pedestrian was hit and dragged by a Cruise car, leading to the autonomous car company’s fleet being indefinitely grounded. Cruise executives were today questioned over whether they misled California regulators over the incident.

There had also previously been dozens of reports of Waymo and Cruise vehicles interfering with emergency vehicles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Waymo is lying again.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They're having "Waymo" accidents than even I expected!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Laughed at this. gently caress

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Feb 8, 2024
My Daycare Program :qq:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol god damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

thread title