Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I didn't have a great experience with my GO, but the Swipe is just $10 more, gives you more filling options, and is a better pen. TWSBI is also one of those brands where you can always say, "just spend a little more and get the..." because the progression is pretty close in price: GO ($19.50), Swipe ($28.50), ECO/ECO-T ($35.50), Classic ($52), Diamond Mini ($54), Diamond 580 ($54), Diamond Mini AL ($62.50), Vac Mini ($62.50), Diamond 580 AL ($67.50), Diamond 580 ALR ($67.50), Vac 700R ($67.50), Precision ($83.75), Kai ($132.50) [jetpen base model prices].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Zenostein posted:

If you're absolutely dead-set on buying a pilot for between $50–$100, there's the cavalier, if you can find someplace that has them.

The prera's real nice though.

Pilot Custom 74 new direct from Japan is ~$90: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=pilot+custom+74&_sacat=0&_sop=12

Pilot Elite 95s new direct from Japan is ~$95: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=pilot+elite+95s&_sop=15

coop52
May 10, 2009

I went through life thinking I'd never be able to use a fountain pen due to my lefthandedness and within the last few weeks have gotten a Safari, Metro, and Kakuno. I'm finding them actually easier to write with than ballpoints. My only purchase so far that I've found not worth it was a left handed nib on the Safari. I got a medium with it as well and can't really tell the difference.

Now I'm wanting a Kaweco Sport to keep in my purse. This is how it starts isn't it? Not to mention all the inks...

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Goulet has a great article on left-handed fountain pen considerations: https://www.gouletpens.com/blogs/fountain-pen-blog/fountain-pens-for-lefties

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

coop52 posted:

I went through life thinking I'd never be able to use a fountain pen due to my lefthandedness and within the last few weeks have gotten a Safari, Metro, and Kakuno. I'm finding them actually easier to write with than ballpoints. My only purchase so far that I've found not worth it was a left handed nib on the Safari. I got a medium with it as well and can't really tell the difference.

Now I'm wanting a Kaweco Sport to keep in my purse. This is how it starts isn't it? Not to mention all the inks...

please post in the thread if you find a good quick-dry ink for left-handed people

coop52
May 10, 2009

sb hermit posted:

please post in the thread if you find a good quick-dry ink for left-handed people

So far I've had good luck with Iroshizuku inks. Honestly I've had more issues with getting ink on my hands while filling my converters than with actually writing. I find that I tend to naturally shift to more of an underwriter position with a fountain pen. I'm more of a sidewriter with a ballpoint or a pencil. I haven't tried using Rhodia or other recommended papers for fountain pens. I'm having a good experience so far with my Threshold brand notebook from Target (this one link) , however it's probably not the "ideal" paper. I tend to impulse buy notebooks with cute covers, so I have a bunch I need to go through before I get any more.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

coop52 posted:

getting ink on my hands while filling my converters

one of us :hfive:

I need to pick up some iroshizuku for my next big jetpens order

also, good call on mentioning the paper… paper matters so much for writing performance (I feel weird typing out “writing performance”)

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I also need to pick up some more Iroshizuku. Shin-Kai and Shin-Ryoku are both really nice, but it's probably time for me to pick up konpeki and Kujaku.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Syo-Ro is my favorite Iroshizuku. Dark enough to still feel “normal” but the greenish tint to the blueish makes me happy.

coop52
May 10, 2009

I wish Tsutsuji came in the 15ml bottles so I didn't have to spring for a 50ml bottle of an ink that would take a lifetime to go through. It's so pretty though.

coop52 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 4, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

coop52 posted:

I wish Tsutsuji came in the 15ml bottles so I didn't have to spring for a 50ml bottle of an ink that would take a lifetime to go through. It's so pretty though.

https://www.amazon.com/Iroshizuku-Bottled-Fountain-tsutsuji-INK-15-TT/dp/B0BFWW732S?th=1

Or in a pick-your-own-three set: https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Iroshizuku-Tsutsuji-Ink-Azalea-15-ml-Bottle-3-Bottle-Set/pd/31522

coop52
May 10, 2009

Why didn’t I think of Amazon? I'm so dumb

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a box to hold bottled ink/nibs/accessories? Everything I have is currently in a desk drawer and all my unusual shaped bottles (FWP etc.) tip over and just make a messy pile. I guess I'm looking for something wooden that would conveniently hold everything, I'm working toward a pen supply shelf at my home desk.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

coop52 posted:

So far I've had good luck with Iroshizuku inks. Honestly I've had more issues with getting ink on my hands while filling my converters than with actually writing. I find that I tend to naturally shift to more of an underwriter position with a fountain pen. I'm more of a sidewriter with a ballpoint or a pencil. I haven't tried using Rhodia or other recommended papers for fountain pens. I'm having a good experience so far with my Threshold brand notebook from Target (this one link) , however it's probably not the "ideal" paper. I tend to impulse buy notebooks with cute covers, so I have a bunch I need to go through before I get any more.

Iroshizuku ama-iro if you want a happy light blue ink, asa-goa for a darker blue leaning to lavender and Tsuki-yo for a beautiful shading dark blue with a red shimmer.

These properties best come out on a paper that tends to leave the ink on top of it instead of sucking it in such as the mentioned Rhodia and Clairfontaine paper. This could be a problem if you are left handed so tread carefully. I'd be happy to send you some paper samples for the various brands such as Rhodia, Clairfontaine, tomoe river, midori and cosmo air, so you can try before you spend a stupid amount of money on paper that will not work for you.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

roomtwofifteen posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a box to hold bottled ink/nibs/accessories? Everything I have is currently in a desk drawer and all my unusual shaped bottles (FWP etc.) tip over and just make a messy pile. I guess I'm looking for something wooden that would conveniently hold everything, I'm working toward a pen supply shelf at my home desk.

i just use a cheap plastic toolbox from ace hardware

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I just keep the boxes

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

roomtwofifteen posted:

I've used a wooden hobby toolbox from Harbor Freight for several years. It is felt-lined and has several little drawers that are internally divided into suspiciously pen-shaped slots. It has a large compartment on the top that's tall enough for almost every common ink bottle, except Noodler's. This looks like its descendant.

Other than the Noodler's thing, my only complaint has been that the lock for the top compartment managed to seize within a year and needed to be cut off with a dremel :V

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

coop52 posted:

Have you tried using blunt tip needles and syringes to fill your ink converters? I find it a lot easier that way since it leaves no mess on your fingers - plus, it’s quicker to fill the whole thing instead of twisting the converter multiple times. You can get some at your local pharmacies or online on places like Amazon. If you happen to have a Daiso near you, they also sell pipettes and good paper brands like Maruman and Kokuyo for cheap! It’s where I’m getting all of my fountain pen-friendly paper since stuff like Tomoe River is way too expensive :smith:

On another note, hi thread! I very, very recently got introduced to fountain pens (like a few weeks ago) and am enjoying writing with them a lot. I took up Keetron’s offer on adopting some old pens they weren’t using to start learning how to write with one - they were super generous and sent over 7(!) pens plus some ink (a pen prefilled with Iroshizuku Yama-budo, Diamine Writer’s Blood 30 mL bottle) and paper samples!

Besides the ones I have inked up, there’s also a Noodler’s Ahab flex pen and an unknown Sheaffer pen. I think I’ve identified it as a Sheaffer Prelude manufactured in the U.S. around 1990; unfortunately I don’t have its converter, though, so I can’t test it out. I didn’t know what the Waterman was at first, but it’s apparently a Waterman Forum from the ~1980-90s.

It’s hard to tell which pen is “better” since I don’t have any prior experience with fountain pens, but the ones I’ve tried so far are all comfortable to write with for me. My favorite keeps switching between the TWSBI 580s and Lamy depending on the day, time, and paper. I like the Waterman, but it keeps running into the problem of not starting when I leave it sitting capped for a day or two. Not sure what’s causing it since I already flushed it with soapy water and cleaned it before use. I guess that’s what happens when it hasn’t been written with for a decade?

I like all of my inks so far, but my favorite inks are probably the Taccia ones which I got as samples from a friend. Taccia Sabimidori is what I use to take notes at work, but Tsuchi is really nice in the TWSBI Go broad nib!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

coop52 posted:

This is how it starts isn't it? Not to mention all the inks...

:yeshaha:

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Gravitas Pens: had to initiate a chargeback. Should’ve listened to the Reddit/IG posts and comments.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Something new for me today

Parker Vacumatic Major, in azure blue stacked celluloid. Canadian made, with a Canadian flex nib, dated to 1945.

Also, as promised:

My Pilot Justus 95. This is the model from the 70s, in excellent condition. I don't know the exact date of manufacture because I haven't pulled the nib out (it is a pain in the rear end)

This is a closeup of the nib and mechanism. The portion of the grip above the knurling rotates to extend or retract the small piece of spring metal on top of the nib, increasing or decreasing the flexibility when writing.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

As a Pilot fan and an engineering nerd, I've always been intrigued by the Justus. How do you like it?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

That Vacumatic is absolutely gorgeous!

Have you played around with the adjustable nib on the Justus much? How noticeable is the difference in nib behavior?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The difference in softness is noticeable, but not earth-shaking. I wouldn't call it flex or semi-flex, but I'd say it on par with a good soft nib when the plate is fully retracted and fairly stiff when fully extended. I'm not sure I'd shell out given the prices for the modern version, but this one fell in to my lap at pretty good price (and excellent condition).

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Been slowly digging in to Fountain Pens this past year. It is super fun to get away from typing during initial research scoping and lit review digging. I’ve sort of come into a standard 3 pens I’ve been using and I was curious about what to buy next because obviously I have to. Here’s my current 3:

Faber Castell E-Motion

Really use this one the most. It writes well, doesn’t dry, and in light of that, I’ve just ordered a converter. I had a ton of bottles of ink I’ve sort of inherited while buying gift boxes for myself. I hadn’t realized how easy they were. Not as easy as cartridges but I really enjoy the refill.

Ellington Pens Urban Hunter

This one has been nice for when I need to write whereas the Faber Castell is great for just everyday use. I’ve written through a few traveller notebooks with this as I’m working on a bunch of stuff about managed retreat and emergency management. It’s also been useful for faculty meetings where folks go nuts yelling at each other so I’ll just start writing and not listening. Someone always stops yelling and asks me about it. Thanks, Ellington. Sadly, I’d guess that time is over.

LAMY (I think) Studio?

This one I’m kind of mad at. It takes a lot to get it writing and it doesn’t write long enough but is using a ton of ink. I’ve cleaned it out but can’t seem to find anything wrong with it. Going to keep trying with a converter this time.

And finally, I wanted to have something a little hard to keep them in. So, I found a nice shop on Etsy that makes hard leather carriers.

It’s been a solid buy and with the Travellers notebooks, I’m suddenly not worried about tons of bent pages or nibs.

So given those above, what higher line pen might be a good next buy? I’ve been so random in my purchases that all I really know is I love fine nibs that are slightly soft.

Also haven’t started on inks yet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

A Pilot Custom 74 or 91 with a Soft Fine or Soft Fine Medium fits the bill. They also aren't overly expensive when purchased from a Japanese seller off of eBay.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thinking about getting myself a Santini. Are they actually good?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Also, I‘ve been out of the pen game for a while and only just now discovered that OMAS no longer exist. WTF? I‘ve always wanted one of their Arco pens but balked at the cost, now they‘re gone forever? Why does everything keep getting shittier?

Which one of the self-appointed OMAS successors is the most legit one? ASC, OMAS themselves, Scribo, Leonardo (who appear to have bought their resin stock)…?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Wengy posted:

Which one of the self-appointed OMAS successors is the most legit one? ASC, OMAS themselves, Scribo, Leonardo (who appear to have bought their resin stock)…?

ASC bought the remaining OMAS celluloid rod stock. Scribo was founded by ex-OMAS employees. The resurrected OMAS is owned by Nahvalur, but sounds like they subcontract the pen making to ASC? Leonardo has its roots in Delta, but they have done some LEs with OMAS rod stock, because that sells like hotcakes.

So the answer to your question is how do you define legit? ASC and OMAS are like cover bands and Scribo is a new band founded by a few surviving members of the old band, but doing new things.

I have an ASC Gladiatore Medio in arco celluloid, and it's an absolutely gorgeous pen, but I don't use it much because the cap doesn't have a very good seal and ink dries out on the nib really easily.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

howe_sam posted:

ASC bought the remaining OMAS celluloid rod stock. Scribo was founded by ex-OMAS employees. The resurrected OMAS is owned by Nahvalur, but sounds like they subcontract the pen making to ASC? Leonardo has its roots in Delta, but they have done some LEs with OMAS rod stock, because that sells like hotcakes.

So the answer to your question is how do you define legit? ASC and OMAS are like cover bands and Scribo is a new band founded by a few surviving members of the old band, but doing new things.

I have an ASC Gladiatore Medio in arco celluloid, and it's an absolutely gorgeous pen, but I don't use it much because the cap doesn't have a very good seal and ink dries out on the nib really easily.

Very good info, thanks. Probably just going to get a Scribo, their designs look awesome, feels like they‘re actually doing something new and interesting.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Scribo owns the rights to the nib making equipment that was used by Bock to make nibs for Omas, if that matters to you.

And yes, Santini is pretty good.

coop52
May 10, 2009

Broke down and got the Kaweco Sport plus 6 more ink samples. They should be here this weekend.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I love my Kaweco Sport. I keep trying to use other pens (mine dries out easily) but it just fits my hand so well!

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Seconding the Kaweco Sport love.

I've accumulated, like, a lot of pens over the last decade of this hobby, but my Sport has really stood out in terms if nib quality. It didn't need even an iota of adjustment of the box and was/is one of my most pleasant mediums. I don't ink it nearly as often as it deserves.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I've accumulated, like, a lot of pens over the last decade of this hobby, but my Sport has really stood out in terms if nib quality. It didn't need even an iota of adjustment of the box and was/is one of my most pleasant mediums. I don't ink it nearly as often as it deserves.

Lucky, mine's been a pain since whenever I got it, and would only write reliably on horribly cheap paper. Imagine my surprise when I inked it up on a whim a week ago and it was suddenly working smooth and skip-free even on nice paper! I guess it just really likes eclait du saphir better than any other inks I've tried in it. Also since mine's ancient, I've got the awful bulb converter and when I was idly looking at stuff on jetpens, I saw a note that the newer plunger one may or may not fit sports made before 2016, for some reason.

In any event:

coop52 posted:

Broke down and got the Kaweco Sport plus 6 more ink samples. They should be here this weekend.

Hope you get a good one (or maybe they've finally sorted out their nibs?)

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I have a Brass Sport I really enjoy. Hadn’t thought of a non brass one. Guess my buying finger gonna itch.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

sb hermit posted:

Fountain pens are the reason I can now write right handed as well as left handed.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

Fountain pens are the reason I can now write right handed as well as left handed.

Thankfully, a lot of quick dry inks (paired with the right paper) dry incredibly fast, so hopefully new left-handed pen enthusiasts won’t have to go over that hurdle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

on that note i have a kaweco al-sport that i also like a lot, but it's stubbornly dry. i would like the slipperiest wettest blue ink there is. what are some good ones to try out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sagebrush posted:

on that note i have a kaweco al-sport that i also like a lot, but it's stubbornly dry. i would like the slipperiest wettest blue ink there is. what are some good ones to try out?

I really enjoy the pilot iroshizuku inks and noticed that the darker the blue, the more it glides. I can recommend tsuki-yo and shin-kai as darker blues with a pleasant writing experience.

edit: yes, I will take any opportunity to praise iroshizuku inks. The only thing the iroshizuku line doesn't have and I would like it is a dark bright red, momiji is awesome but something more like Diamine Red Dragon and then with the pilot iroshizuku properties would be amazing to have. (I also have Red Dragon, it is pretty good)

Keetron fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 9, 2024