Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The first Lovecraft I ever read was The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, which wasn't published until after Lovecraft's death. I didn't read any of the mythos stuff until I was out of college, many years later. It's jarring how different Kadath is from the much more popular Lovecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

He was so fuckin great. On that note, Legends of Tomorrow was the greatest DC TV show of all time (not counting season 1), and this is a hill I will absolutely die on.

It suffered a distinct lack of Booster Gold.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Gorelab posted:

It suffered a distinct lack of Booster Gold.

He turned up in the last season played by Turk from Scrubs. Really it more suffered a paucity of Booster Gold.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I forgot this Kamigakari expansion was the one with Literally Fate/Stay Night Servants in it, lol.

There's something about the way that the fluff text was translated that just makes my eyes slide right off it, though, unfortunately.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

theironjef posted:

He turned up in the last season played by Turk from Scrubs. Really it more suffered a paucity of Booster Gold.

Just one more reason it was a tragedy that the show was cancelled when it was. Imagine a whole season of Booster Gold. That's what they robbed us of.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Booster Gold in Time Prison! With an alien baby and that alien baby's two moms!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

neonchameleon posted:

If you were to say greatest live action DC TV show I might join you on that hill. But DCAU >> DC Live Action.

Very true, but LoT was probably the closest it's been.

It was an often silly show that had some really good, fun times just messing around but could still hit you in the heart if it wanted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Legends had a lot of "theater dorks raiding the prop closet" energy and that really helped when they went for full-on stupid gags that would have turned me off from other shows. I wouldn't watch for the plot developments, I'd watch because they had three hammy actors as the villains doing a scenery-chewing competition all season.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

The first Lovecraft I ever read was The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, which wasn't published until after Lovecraft's death. I didn't read any of the mythos stuff until I was out of college, many years later. It's jarring how different Kadath is from the much more popular Lovecraft.

Kij Johnson's The Dreamquest of Vellit Boe is a response to this and is great.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

fritz posted:

Kij Johnson's The Dreamquest of Vellit Boe is a response to this and is great.

Second this review.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And then there's his parody of melodrama, Sweet Ermengarde.

bah bah BAAAAH

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Leperflesh posted:

I guess a lot of Call of Cthulhu players are down on the Dreamlands as being silly. I always really liked the Dreamlands, even though it was pretty clear Kadath wasn't a finished and polished work.

It is pretty jarring to try and lump Lovecraft's stuff into a cosmic materialism pile the way S.T. Joshi kind of does. He wrote a lot of stuff, from Greek myth pasthiche to morality tale and a ton of poetry including Christmas poems.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

On the other hand, she has defended Jesse Singal
This fact made such perfect sense. I went to bed laughing about it and woke up laughing about it. She has a real taste for a certain kind of dark triad dude screaming that he's beset by liars.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Leperflesh posted:

I actually just finished reading through Clarke Ashton Smith's Zothique Cycle and it made Lovecraft's Dreamlands stories make a lot more sense.

Honestly, I actually think Dreamquest is one of Lovecraft's strongest works.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 5, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Colour Out Of Space is Lovecraft's best work tbh. Pretty much pure cosmic horror.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

KingKalamari posted:

I actually just finished reading through Clarke Ashton Smith's Zothique Cycle and it made Lovecraft's Dreamlands stories make a lot more sense.
There's a fair bit of Lord Dunsany in the Dreamlands stories as well.

quote:

Honestly, I actually think Dreamquest is one of Lovecraft's strongest works.
It's pretty great, but it (and his other Dreamlands stories) often get overlooked because people are so interested in his Nihilist Cosmic Horror stories.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The Colour Out Of Space is Lovecraft's best work tbh. Pretty much pure cosmic horror.
It's also a very solid and ahead-of-its-time work of science fiction.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Sorta? It's a thing though, like back in the day, the only thing keeping General Motors afloat was its insurance arm GMAC... so they spun it off. The thing is you can radically juice your immediate balance sheet by selling something, and you can realistically only sell something that is nicely profitable if you want to get a good price for it. So this is one of those bizarre, apparently counterintuitive things that big companies do sometimes.

But D&D's actual staffing is somewhat intermixed with Wizards, so you could sell a license or you could sell the rights to the brand but you probably can't sell it as an operating subsidary on its own. Like I'm sure it has separate designers and artists and whatnot, but it's got the same HR, accounts receivable and payable, actual offices and computers and poo poo as the rest of Wizards. Awkward to sell it like that.

I'm speculating wildly here, I wanna reiterate that. I just think it's marginally less likely that Hasbro would sell the D&D brand including the pen and paper RPG rights without selling the rest of Wizards just to try and juice the numbers, mostly because I don't think it'd really juice the numbers much. I doubt it's worth more than a few million.

Was interested, so checked some of the numbers according to their 2022 annual report:
https://investor.hasbro.com/static-files/96ff1bf8-20ae-446e-8600-cb2158409e56

Page 57: Magic the Gathering is Hasbro's "first billion-dollar brand", with the "tabletop gaming" category of the "Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming" segment (which seems closest to specifically MtG/D&D tradgames with Monopoly, Peppa Pig etc. part of the "Consumer Products" reporting segment) reporting over 1 billion in net revenue, and the "digital and licensed gaming" category under WotC reporting 250 million in net revenue, and the total for Hasbro at 5.8 billion.

Balance sheet stands at 9.2 billion, which per page 136 comes to 2.9 billion in assets for "Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming" (don't see just tabletop gaming broken out), 5.7 in assets for "Consumer Products", 6.2 for the "Entertainment" segment and negative 5.7 under "Corporate and Other"; not sure how much of that would be attributable to WotC.

That's about as much as I can get out of straining my eyes to read it on a phone...

Overall the report seems more interested in discussing the gaming nonentity D&D Dark Alliance than the tabletop RPG. Will be interesting to see how much money Hasbro sees from BG3.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 5, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FMguru posted:

There's a fair bit of Lord Dunsany in the Dreamlands stories as well.

It's pretty great, but it (and his other Dreamlands stories) often get overlooked because people are so interested in his Nihilist Cosmic Horror stories.

It's also a very solid and ahead-of-its-time work of science fiction.

The Dreamlands stories iirc nearly all went unpublished, I think even at the time there wasn't much interest in his stuff that didn't have spooky tentacle beasties.

The Colour Out Of Space was also one of Lovecraft's favourites of his own work iirc, and can't blame him, yeah. It's probably one of the most influential of his stories too; quite a bit of sci-fi and fantasy plays with the idea of an alien invasion as a presence that twists and corrupts the land into uncanny alien-influenced forms, and there's so many directions you can take with it.

Kinda funny given it's one of the Lovecraft stories with the least connection to other ones, or larger worldbuilding; there's none of the usual religious horror themes, alien civilizations or even a larger context that the Colour exists in, it's not clear if it's even remotely sentient or aware of what it's doing, or is basically some kind of alien dandelion gathering energy to grow and scattering its seeds back into the air.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

hyphz posted:

Apparently the most common character made on D&D Beyond is a generic human fighter named Bob.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-most-popular-character-name-on-dandd-beyond-is-still-bob/

How far this hobby has fallen from the hallowed days of Melf...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Hasbro Fires D&D Book Team! (Ep 367)]Dungeon Craft. (youtube)

The news for this thread that I had not heard before is that Hasbro fired their D&D book team in November. The book is done, the MS CEO is hiring more people from MS to make the game subscription based (and there's a VR game coming out that no one is going to care about).

I don't think this will be the last actual book, but Microsoft is going to make D&D as D&DO(rifice) - you WILL pay that subscription, you will NOT own any of the books (because why buy them when everyone plays online anyway so they would want you to play) and the DM will be paying for everyone else to play with a higher subscription because they are whales.

Much like Nokia before them, a Microsoft Exec is going to destroy the brand from the inside.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 6, 2024

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Comstar posted:

The news for this thread that I had not heard before is that Hasbro fired their D&D book team in November. The book is done, the MS CEO is hiring more people from MS to make the game subscription based (and there's a VR game coming out that no one is going to care about).

I don't think this will be the last actual book, but Microsoft is going to make D&D as D&DO(rifice) - you WILL pay that subscription, you will NOT own any of the books (because why buy them when everyone plays online anyway so they would want you to play) and the DM will be paying for everyone else to play with a higher subscription because they are whales.

Much like Nokia before them, a Microsoft Exec is going to destroy the brand from the inside.

Not an unbelievable scenario, but why is this apparently breaking on some random dude's YouTube by way of Ben Riggs'—lol—hot goss?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

Not an unbelievable scenario, but why is this apparently breaking on some random dude's YouTube by way of Ben Riggs'—lol—hot goss?

I think the VP of Digital Publishing advert is the wrong job advert to look at - it seems to self-evidently be primarily about videogames.

Now, this role looks interesting...

https://careers.hasbro.com/careers/job/68739815503

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Comstar posted:

Is there a source for any of this besides a YouTube video of some guy? No sources in the description unless I missed them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
more like micro$haft

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Comstar posted:

This entire post is a YouTube thumbnail.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

That Old Tree posted:

Ben Riggs'—lol—

Is Ben Riggs someone I should recognize? I don't want to Google them because last time an unrecognized name came up it was that ultranazi musician guy and I'm on enough watchlists already.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Magnetic North posted:

Is Ben Riggs someone I should recognize? I don't want to Google them because last time an unrecognized name came up it was that ultranazi musician guy and I'm on enough watchlists already.

it's the guy who wrote "the golden age of RPGs is over" screed that was obsessed with D&D and had a bunch of misinfo

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Magnetic North posted:

Thread title guy :)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Yeah, I had a sensible chuckle when youtube recommended that first video a couple hours after I asked Comstar whether the source was BS. I guess I should be grateful to Comstar for keeping me from trying to click on a bad DM advice guy #308 video.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Can we somehow make that left thumbnail the thread title

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

"whelp, I'm an idiot" says an idiot

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
as someone who is getting back into tabletop after a looooooooooooooooooong time the most unbearable part is how few traditional news blogs there are now. it's all a either a monotone dude droning on for 3 hours or the most obnoxious person you have ever heard what could easily be a 4 paragraph article

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

John Romero posted:

as someone who is getting back into tabletop after a looooooooooooooooooong time the most unbearable part is how few traditional news blogs there are now. it's all a either a monotone dude droning on for 3 hours or the most obnoxious person you have ever heard what could easily be a 4 paragraph article
Pivot to video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¡

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

John Romero posted:

That's just everything these days. 'Here's a 10 minute video of how to turn on feature x' which could be just 2 sentences.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The pivot to video is nice in some ways. If I have to do something on my car or my dishwasher, it's an incredible resource. For gaming, since it rarely involves that physicality, I think people sometimes feel the need to pad things a bit into a larger premise to suit the medium.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They do it because long videos make them more money and ones under a certain threshold make little or nothing at all. That's it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Me, huddling in a trench scribbling a letter on dirty paper: "Day 538 on the front lines. D&D is still not dead, but central command is optimistic that we'll be home by next Christmas."

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 7, 2024

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:extremely ken burns voice: my dearest clara, i sometimes fear that this great edition war shall never end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Waterdeep, poo poo. I'm still only in Waterdeep. Every time I think I'm going to wake up back in the dungeon