Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/ELANLLS.mp4

e: 216, the amount of pounds in millions that Kwasi made from crashing our economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Extremely rare T-May 'W'

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1754798064064233573

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1754789952565449174

https://twitter.com/EddieBurfi/status/1754776323581530278

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Hope Megan dances a little jig at chucks funeral.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

smellmycheese posted:

Sky on form this morning

Amusing though it is, I assume they're talking about Camilla.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kwasi doing his best SICKOS here

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

smellmycheese posted:

While we’re on NI. This is one of the worst political cartoons I have ever seen in the Grauniad - and that is a low loving bar

This reminds me: I don't really know where Emma Little-Pengelly came from. Like, why is she the Deputy First Minister rather than someone like Edwin Poots who seems to have a higher profile?

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Sky on form this morning

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

Amusing though it is, I assume they're talking about Camilla.

Every time I see the word 'Queen', I immediately think of Liz.

I don't mind it, as it gives me flashes like this: The Queen returning to public duties

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Kwasi doing his best SICKOS here

lol. I can't unsee it now :allears:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 6, 2024

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away
He was certainly one of the chancellors we've ever had.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

forkboy84 posted:

This reminds me: I don't really know where Emma Little-Pengelly came from. Like, why is she the Deputy First Minister rather than someone like Edwin Poots who seems to have a higher profile?

She’s completely unelected. She was co-opted into Jeffrey Donaldson’s MLA seat when he decided he’d rather be an MP. So she has not been elected in any way. Her father is a convicted gun smuggler for the UVF so bear that in mind any time she or the DUP start quacking about “Sinn Fein IRA” and the nasty Catholic terrorists.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Former Taoiseach John Bruton dead at 76. Probably did the most of any non-Nordie to get us to the Good Friday Agreement, but then got scooped for the glory by Bertie Ahern and Toniblair.

Former leader of an evil neolib former fash party but at least accomplished some good in his life

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1754816846006472791

:allears:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

While we’re on NI. This is one of the worst political cartoons I have ever seen in the Grauniad - and that is a low loving bar

wow

the americans are showing better understanding about this place at this point

i mean the DUP only did go back into government because chris heaton-harris, shark-eyed psychopath as he is, refused to entertain any of their usual bullshit and ELP is an unelected non-entity, and she and o'neill despise each other lol

but sure, guardian, the two women sorted out all the problems and jermany croburn anti-semitism and dumblebums hufflepoofs slitherins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smug: :holy:

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
It's just kayfabe, surely. Everyone pretends the government exists to somehow manage the UK, but actually it's an elaborate money funneling contract agency. That would be preferable to PMs actually being that rubbish.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
man i should be editor of the guardian, then i'd say GET BACK IN THERE AND DRAW A PICTURE AFTER YOU'VE BOTHERED TO READ THE NEWS YOU STUPID oval office

AND DON'T DRAW MICHELLE O'NEILL WITHOUT HER HARD FACED STRABANE MAKE-UP BAKE, SHE'S PROUD OF IT :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
TEACHERS IN PRIMARY SCHOOLS GIVE THE SLOW KIDS PICTURES TO DRAW TO MAKE THEM FEEL LIKE THEY'VE ACHIEVED SOMETHING

THIS IS YOUR loving JOB AND YOU'RE loving IT UP :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
had a bit of a grudge against the guardian since the day that cabbage faced twat disparaged Terry Pratchett tbh :/

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

forkboy84 posted:

Edwin Poots is very obviously a comic-relief junior clerk in a Charles Dickens novel.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
why did they not just draw the women larger with regular sized arms. why the political body horror

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Angepain posted:

why did they not just draw the women larger with regular sized arms. why the political body horror

They are 'reaching' across the divide, and also Rishi has wee short arms because he's a mini human.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

crispix posted:

had a bit of a grudge against the guardian since the day that cabbage faced twat disparaged Terry Pratchett tbh :/

If by "disparaged" you mean "said Pratchett would have been a TERF despite all the clear indications in his work to the contrary and actual statements from his friends and immediate family".

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Who needs to die for Andrew to be king

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
this was literally a week or so after he died in 2015 and he wrote an article saying his work was rubbish, despite, admittedly, not having read any of it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This was brought up in the thread a few pages back

Keith's been community noted to state it was already illegal, which I guess is what most of us thought.

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

crispix posted:

this was literally a week or so after he died in 2015 and he wrote an article saying his work was rubbish, despite, admittedly, not having read any of it

What the gently caress. Who wrote this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tedsville posted:

What the gently caress. Who wrote this?

I want to say his name was jonathan something, I gather he's a culture reviewer of the guardian or something.

E:
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...inment-than-art

grobbo
May 29, 2014
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/02/12/a-teens-fatal-plunge-into-the-london-underworld

Horrific and fascinating long read that's partly about the London police's curious attitude towards mysterious deaths involving the international ultra-wealthy.

TLDR: An upper-middle-class teenager with a history of compulsive lying befriends a wealthy family with suspected gangland ties, while pretending to be a Russian oligarch's heir with access to a vast fortune. It all ends with him jumping to his death off their penthouse balcony at 3am, with evidence of violence inside the apartment. The coppers' conclusion: 'well, we can't make anyone admit they were involved.'

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2015/aug/31/terry-pratchett-is-not-a-literary-genius

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jonathan Jones posted:

It does not matter to me if Terry Pratchett’s final novel is a worthy epitaph or not, or if he wanted it to be pulped by a steamroller. I have never read a single one of his books and I never plan to. Life’s too short.

No offence, but Pratchett is so low on my list of books to read before I die that I would have to live a million years before getting round to him. I did flick through a book by him in a shop, to see what the fuss is about, but the prose seemed very ordinary.

I don’t mean to pick on this particular author, except that the huge fuss attending and following his death this year is part of a very disturbing cultural phenomenon. In the age of social media and ebooks, our concept of literary greatness is being blurred beyond recognition. A middlebrow cult of the popular is holding literature to ransom. Thus, if you judge by the emotional outpourings over their deaths, the greatest writers of recent times were Pratchett and Ray Bradbury. There was far less of an internet splurge when Gabriel García Márquez died in 2014 and Günter Grass this spring. Yet they were true titans of the novel. Their books, like all great books, can change your life, your beliefs, your perceptions. Everyone reads trash sometimes, but why are we now pretending, as a culture, that it is the same thing as literature? The two are utterly different.

Actual literature may be harder to get to grips with than a Discworld novel, but it is more worth the effort. By dissolving the difference between serious and light reading, our culture is justifying mental laziness and robbing readers of the true delights of ambitious fiction.

Because life really is too short to waste on ordinary potboilers. I am not saying this as a complacent book snob who claims to have read everything. On the contrary, I am crushed by how many books I have not read.

This summer I finally finished Mansfield Park. How had I managed not to read it up to now? It’s shameful. But at least now it’s part of my life. The structure of Jane Austen’s morally sombre plot, the restrained irony of her style, the sudden opening up of the book as it moves from Mansfield Park to Portsmouth and takes in the complex real social world of regency England – all that’s in me now. Great books become part of your experience. They enrich the very fabric of reality. I don’t just mean 19th-century classics, either. I also read Post Office by Charles Bukowski this summer. My God, what a writer. Bukowski is a voice from hell with the talent of an angel. I must read every word by him.

But Terry Pratchett? Get real. It’s time we stopped this pretence that mediocrity is equal to genius.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I would like to see this person rendered into smithereens

Why is everything about the UK so abhorrent

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

To be fair the title of the rebuttal implies an interesting point, which is that entertainment is its own thing, and it's stupid and elitist to assume that everything has to be up its own arse to be valid.

It's just that he made that point by being elitist and up his own arse in the original piece.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

serious gaylord posted:

Who needs to die for Andrew to be king

A lot of children.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

To be fair the title of the rebuttal implies an interesting point, which is that entertainment is its own thing, and it's stupid and elitist to assume that everything has to be up its own arse to be valid.

It's just that he made that point by being elitist and up his own arse in the original piece.
Yeah there's a lot of value (going back to the Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction chat) in discussing the differences between high art, kitsch, and folk art, and furthermore in dividing the commercial arts into camp, kitsch, and trash/cheese, none of which are necessarily bad things, they just know what they are and who their audiences are.

None of the useful insights into any of that ever begin with "I have never engaged with the oeuvre in question but have decided that..."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also object to the charge that terry pratchett's work does not touch on real things. It is literally the fundamental element of his work.

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I want to say his name was jonathan something, I gather he's a culture reviewer of the guardian or something.

E:
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...inment-than-art

The missus works at the guardian, I'll try to convince her to find his desk and poo poo in the drawer or something.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

I also object to the charge that terry pratchett's work does not touch on real things. It is literally the fundamental element of his work.

yeah

the stupid oval office didn't read it

the discworld is used to explore what's bad, good and nonsensical about this world

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Found Wes Streeting's barber

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
My mother died a couple of days ago, but this is all happening in Ireland so I’ve had to fly over, but one thing that strikes me is the difference between the time. The only reason the funeral hasn’t happened yet is because she died on a weekend and Monday is a bank holiday over here.

On the other hand when my grandmother died it felt like the funeral took 6 months to happen and when we were allowed to look at her body in the funeral home it had been so long her skin turned green, despite the best efforts of the morticians.

Personally I’m a fan of the Irish tradition of practically upending the hospital bed and flipping the immediately deceased into an open grave but I assume this is some weird Catholic/Protestant cultural divide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

crispix posted:

yeah

the stupid oval office didn't read it

the discworld is used to explore what's bad, good and nonsensical about this world

No, he clearly read Small Gods. He just didn't understand it. He's the kind of critic who wouldn't hesitate to wax lyrical over Shakespeare or Dickens while simultaneously dismissing Pratchett, because other critics have already decided that Shakespeare and Dickens - who were in their time populist writers in the same way that Pratchett was in ours - are literature, but Pterry hasn't been dead long enough to attain the same status. That's also why he felt so confident in dismissing Pratchett without reading him: because none of his peers had told him otherwise.

In short, he's huffing his own farts and believing them to be rarefied air when the reality is that he can't even form an opinion of his own.