Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gynovore posted:

Ms. Marvel was shot during covid, it didn't have this problem.

To know that would require someone to have actually watched it though. Are you sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

counterfeitsaint posted:

To know that would require someone to have actually watched it though. Are you sure?

:goofy:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

counterfeitsaint posted:

Ms Marvel was generally beloved in this thread.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Well, my lame, half baked defense is that I mixed up Ms Marvel and The Marvels.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
I found The Marvels to be very entertaining, if flawed. For the price of admission I wasn't disappointed.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Narcissus1916 posted:

was Echo filmed during COVID protocols? There's a lot of weird choppy edits, and not just in the (admittedly fun!) fight scenes.

I think Echo was hosed with quite a bit after the series was finished, and had an entire episode cut out from the final product, which is what I blame all the weird edits on.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I liked Echo, and The Marvel's, especially after secret invasion.

Felt the same way about Andor after Kenobi*.Hell, Andor was amazing.

Is this the Slurm! strategy?

* (at least Kenobi was fun to laugh at, especially auralnauts they're rewatchable).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

Well, my lame, half baked defense is that I mixed up Ms Marvel and The Marvels.

On the other hand ms marvel was the least watched MCU TV show by a significant margin

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I watched the Assembled feature on the making of Ms. Marvel, there were face masks all over the place. Some people even wore a full-face plastic shield.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Azhais posted:

On the other hand ms marvel was the least watched MCU TV show by a significant margin
I do wonder how much it being a show that is more focused on a younger character affected this

I would say she’s not well known, but she has to be more well known than Moon Knight

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Moon Knight probably benefited a good deal from Oscar Isaac and the timing of its release. I feel like Disney plus had a good run of shows people were interested in like Wandavision and the Mandalorian before fatigue set in and Moon Knight got in on the tail end of they good will (at least it did for me)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gynovore posted:

I watched the Assembled feature on the making of Ms. Marvel, there were face masks all over the place. Some people even wore a full-face plastic shield.

This, uh, may surprise you, but COVID isn't over and a lot of people are still--very justifiably--concerned about transmission.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nope. We decided that any immunocompromised people should just die already, so Covid's over. :colbert:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tom Tucker posted:

Moon Knight probably benefited a good deal from Oscar Isaac and the timing of its release. I feel like Disney plus had a good run of shows people were interested in like Wandavision and the Mandalorian before fatigue set in and Moon Knight got in on the tail end of they good will (at least it did for me)

Wandavision was actually good though and while it didn’t really stick the landing for me in the finale, it was a show that had a voice and wasn’t just another content dump.

A lot of the Disney+ projects are like c-grade movie scripts dragged out into a 6 episode miniseries.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

Wandavision was actually good though and while it didn’t really stick the landing for me in the finale, it was a show that had a voice and wasn’t just another content dump.

A lot of the Disney+ projects are like c-grade movie scripts dragged out into a 6 episode miniseries.

which we know is literal truth because they didn't think they needed a showrunner and could fix script problems in post like with movies.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Azhais posted:

I loved Ms. Marvel, IMHO it's one of the best episodic series, second only to Wandavision.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Of the D+ shows, I think Loki ended up being my favorite on the strength of the ending.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Hawkeye is still the best because of the tandem of Florence Pugh and Hailee Steinfeld. Other series have done great things and terrible things, but Hawkeye was the best for me because they’re awesome together. Also because it was pleasantly unserious and low stakes. Ms. Marvel had a lot of that, as well, but those scenes were sometimes grating because the supporting characters. I like my comic book things to be dumb and goofy. I enjoy watching Batman and Robin more than any other DC movie because it’s the campiest and dumbest.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think Loki S1 is probably the best overall season in how it manages to actually leave you wanting more. S2 meanders too much but at least manages to end well.

The problem with a lot of these series is that they shove in too many sideplots. Ms. Marvel in particular has a major problem with this.

I also felt like Moon Knight came together pretty well in total, and if they get to do more it's fine, but it told a complete story.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Plotac 75 posted:

I found The Marvels to be very entertaining, if flawed. For the price of admission I wasn't disappointed.

The ads for The Marvels's premiere on Disney+ have been emphasizing that it's fun, which is what they should've done when it was in theaters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of Hawkeye, youtube threw up an old, old Pink music video and, am I suffering the famous goon face blindness, or this is Jeremy Renner as the bad sheriff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFu3YzRnyDU&t=134s

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of Hawkeye, youtube threw up an old, old Pink music video and, am I suffering the famous goon face blindness, or this is Jeremy Renner as the bad sheriff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFu3YzRnyDU&t=134s

you are correct

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Moon Knight remains my favorite of the D+ series so far. Yes, it's a bit of a mess, but I feel like it's an interesting mess that tries to execute some difficult ideas.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Moon Knight had a very nice, dream-like quality to it. I liked She-Hulk because they had fun with it, and it was the sort of stupid fun the comics had, too. And even aside from the GLORIOUS PURPOSE ending of Loki, that show had an amazing aesthetic.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah me too, I enjoyed Moon Knight. I feel like it got why people like comic runs outside of the big tentpole characters - fun, self-contained stories that don't have to be about pushing forward the bigger world building soap opera. Redditors get stresseed

It was a shame about some of the CGI, but it also felt like it had its own voice and tone, whereas every other series (including Loki, sadly), still has that quip fulled dialogue that makes the writing feel a bit indistinct and formulaic. I even didn't mind his terrible accent work.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Genneya Walton has been cast in Daredevil: Born Again as an unnamed character who is "a young journalist with connections to someone from the original series."

Some places are reporting her character name as "BB Ulrich" and saying she is Ben Ulrich's daughter.

She's young and I've never seen her in anything, so no clue about how she will be.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/daredevil-born-again-genneya-walton-cast-marvel-disney-plus-1235816768/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I finished Echo and while I felt like the final episode was too short, but overall the series was good.

It’s both sad and amazing that the series is so much better than Secret Invasion.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Super Deuce posted:

Hawkeye is still the best because of the tandem of Florence Pugh and Hailee Steinfeld. Other series have done great things and terrible things, but Hawkeye was the best for me because they’re awesome together. Also because it was pleasantly unserious and low stakes. Ms. Marvel had a lot of that, as well, but those scenes were sometimes grating because the supporting characters. I like my comic book things to be dumb and goofy. I enjoy watching Batman and Robin more than any other DC movie because it’s the campiest and dumbest.

The acting and interaction between characters in Hawkeye was top notch. The problem is that it was shot in an earth-variant where everyone's IQ is about 30 points lower than regular earth. Like, when Clint decides it's time to set the Tracksuit Mafia straight, his Big Plan is to... let himself be captured? And then Kate follows up with the exact same plan?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Let yourself be captured is a well established "super spy" trope if they are in a hurry and can't be arsed to find the big bad's hideout, I think the series calls back to it being one of Natasha's regular moves.

Kate just didn't know any of this and thought she'd swoop in and "save" Clint, making things harder in the process.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
They just released a surprise bonus episode of Ms Marvel that has Brie Larson in it

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Funny. I just watched The Marvels and I did not enjoy it at all.

The story felt barely cohesive with absolutely nothing interesting in it. There were a few things they tried to touch on that could be interesting: Kamala "meeting her stars" and her naïveté clashing with Carol (after that "all those people" scene I thought that was gonna be the crux of the film), Monica's abandonment issues (snore. I didn't watch the tv show that she was in and I forgot the two scenes a little girl might have had in a film five years ago) and Carol's aloneness vs teamness thing.

All of those were.. mentioned. I didn't feel like they were given any room to develop and their conclusion was basically nothing. Everything is good now.

Villain was boring as gently caress. Again, there was maybe a kernel of an interesting idea but it was done is such a trite way.

The "fun" parts were either overdone (the cats poo poo was all over the place and went on too long) or undercooked (the singing planet. Either go ham or don't).

I thought I'd enjoy thus cuz Iman and Ms Marvel but while she had some nice scenes I felt like it was missing the core of the fun part of her character because no scenes had room to breathe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm pretty convinced that a bunch of that movie got cut to keep the runtime lower. It felt like there were parts missing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The Marvels would probably benefit from a directors cut with a some more footage, even if its just more the main cast hanging out.

Marvel needs more hang out stuff, like Kamala and Kate recruiting the Young Avengers should just be a hang out series.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

twistedmentat posted:

The Marvels would probably benefit from a directors cut with a some more footage, even if its just more the main cast hanging out.

Marvel needs more hang out stuff, like Kamala and Kate recruiting the Young Avengers should just be a hang out series.

I think they shot the film with a bad script and then tried to fix it in post with reshoots, so the disjointed mess that we got is a consequence of a film that started out half baked

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kiminewt posted:

Funny. I just watched The Marvels and I did not enjoy it at all.

I saw it today and... eh. The acting was great, the banter between characters was enjoyable, and, uh, the set design was pretty good, I guess. The story was boring and didn't really make sense, Monica's subtheme felt weird, and Dar-Benn wasn't convincing at all. The actress is engaged to Tom Hiddleston, who supposedly gave her advice on how to be a Marvel villain, but she must not have been listening, because her performance was blah. Or maybe the advice was "wear giant curved horns and smirk a lot" but the director vetoed it.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

1st AD posted:

I think they shot the film with a bad script and then tried to fix it in post with reshoots, so the disjointed mess that we got is a consequence of a film that started out half baked

This is the story of pretty much everything that they've put out recently. There were some good fight scenes and set pieces but the overall story was a huge mess.

kiminewt posted:

The "fun" parts were either overdone (the cats poo poo was all over the place and went on too long) or undercooked (the singing planet. Either go ham or don't).

Both those felt like they were trying to take some cues from Guardians and make a really goofy and alien story but they just did not commit to it and the tone was so off from the rest of the movie. This reminded me a lot of Love and Thunder whose tone was also a complete mess.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Have a music planet without a big musical number is just lazy. Especially since they dropped it half way through because it was too much work?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

smoobles posted:

They just released a surprise bonus episode of Ms Marvel that has Brie Larson in it

lol took me a minute

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The behind the scenes stuff for The Marvels is wild- they spent so much time and money on stuff like the water planet and that stuff is barely even on screen. All these extras with super elaborate makeup and you see them barely in the background of a 10 second shot in lieu of a cgi spaceship fight. Really want a real post-mortem of what happened here, there has to be at least an hour of this movie on the cutting room floor.

poo poo the movie was barely longer that the Assembled episode for it!

Firebert fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I think the water planet above all others got the most cut out.