Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

There ya go Bennett! A good one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
Oh, that Branco is just begging to be edited

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alhazred posted:

I'm just gonna wait until you've googled what Japan did during WWII.

Yes, I am aware, but I would posit that it is still stupid for an Asian American to be a neo-nazi. Not that he necessarily is, but he seems to be inching ever closer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

World Famous W posted:

what the hell utah, who wants to be represented by gulls?!

You will not be surprised to discover it's a Mormon thing.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

So, this is actually a very fascinating topic! To put things very, very simply a lot of "AI" scripts use multiple nodes that are activated to varying degrees by different inputs. There are much more inputs it needs to handle than nodes, so different end concepts are essentially encoded in complex combinations of nodes that may seem unrelated at first. This makes it very hard to diagnose why an AI model output the precise response it did to a given input, which has some significant implications for training AI to do what we actually want it to do (such as not saying "kill all black people" when asked "how do we reduce crime" just because its training data set included racist websites). One way around this is to use much more powerful but also much simpler AI system to analyze the "main" system, and identify what causes it to output false or misleading information.

This is made much more complicated because our current AI systems aren't people! They can't actually lie, because there's no internal world view or personality. BUT! Analyses have consistently found that AI systems like Chat GPT have specific nodes that activate when they are making up false information (even THAT isn't quite accurate, because there's no mind to "make up" information. Our language is VERY BAD at talking about what AI actually does!) so there's some sense in which the system "knows" it is lyi-

oh wait, you're just a hack trying to make a dumb cartoon about AI. Carry on

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

HootTheOwl posted:

There ya go Bennett! A good one!

Every so often, the old Bennett manages to emerge and remind us what he's made of.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kaza42 posted:

So, this is actually a very fascinating topic! To put things very, very simply a lot of "AI" scripts use multiple nodes that are activated to varying degrees by different inputs. There are much more inputs it needs to handle than nodes, so different end concepts are essentially encoded in complex combinations of nodes that may seem unrelated at first. This makes it very hard to diagnose why an AI model output the precise response it did to a given input, which has some significant implications for training AI to do what we actually want it to do (such as not saying "kill all black people" when asked "how do we reduce crime" just because its training data set included racist websites). One way around this is to use much more powerful but also much simpler AI system to analyze the "main" system, and identify what causes it to output false or misleading information.

This is made much more complicated because our current AI systems aren't people! They can't actually lie, because there's no internal world view or personality. BUT! Analyses have consistently found that AI systems like Chat GPT have specific nodes that activate when they are making up false information (even THAT isn't quite accurate, because there's no mind to "make up" information. Our language is VERY BAD at talking about what AI actually does!) so there's some sense in which the system "knows" it is lyi-

oh wait, you're just a hack trying to make a dumb cartoon about AI. Carry on

Do you have a recommended source on these functions? I'd like to read more.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

There we have it folks, one of the few instances where a label would not be unnecessary on a Ramirez.

WTF is this horseshit all about? I think his Biden is doing the old trope of lady scared of a mouse jumping up on a chair, but we have no idea why.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on US and British airstrikes on Iranian-backed militias – The Pentagon is continuing its attacks in reprisal for the killing of three US soldiers at a military base on the Jordan-Syria border"

Telegraph:

Army fails to meet recruitment targets at all training centres for five years After Lady Butler.

Times:

Evening Standard:

O’Neill expects poll on Irish unity to take place in next decade; Love Island: When does the All Stars series finish and is there a Casa Amor twist this year?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

logger posted:

There we have it folks, one of the few instances where a label would not be unnecessary on a Ramirez.

WTF is this horseshit all about? I think his Biden is doing the old trope of lady scared of a mouse jumping up on a chair, but we have no idea why.

Something about ladies on chairs being inherently weak and fearful, which is shameful, and therefore Biden is shamed by the comparison? But it doesn't work well because the jumping on a chair is a reaction and there's nothing here he's being afraid of. He's just afraid for no reason and in a dress to emphasise how weak and fearful is.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Labor promises to save you $1000 and more choice of EVs. It could also fuel a Dutton attack (SMH).

Knight:

Rowe:

Australian academic Yang Hengjun given suspended death sentence by Chinese court (Guardian).

Wilcox:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Albanese was called a "handsome boy" by Chinese Premier Li Qiang.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Discendo Vox posted:

Do you have a recommended source on these functions? I'd like to read more.

Here is a primer on the concept of AI systems using complex interactions of nodes to "store" concepts.

This is more specifically about AI's "lying" and trying to build systems that detect it.

Usual caveats apply: a lot of people who write about and discuss AI topics are weird, and I am not specifically endorsing other posts on this blog.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kaza42 posted:

Here is a primer on the concept of AI systems using complex interactions of nodes to "store" concepts.

This is more specifically about AI's "lying" and trying to build systems that detect it.

Usual caveats apply: a lot of people who write about and discuss AI topics are weird, and I am not specifically endorsing other posts on this blog.

Thanks, those are as disappointing (and the comments as pathetic) as I expected. I'll use some of this to burst some executives' bubbles in the near future.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kaza42 posted:

not saying "kill all black people" when asked "how do we reduce crime"

Oh, so now AIs can't get jobs as political cartoonists?! I think we all see who the REAL bigot is here. :smugbert:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

The middle east is actually stable and can't blow up no matter how many people try. An interesting take.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Amjad Rasmi

Bill Bramhall

Dave Whamond

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Koterba

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Matt Wuerker

Mike Peters

Paul Berge

Randall Enos

Rivers

Walt Handelsman

Ward Sutton

This is from 2020, but he thought it was relevant again.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1754524085789344074

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

What?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It’s pretty straightforward, Mattie opposes the legalization of cannabis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I can't I disagree with anything in this because I have no clue what on Earth Lub is trying to say.

Kellies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 6, 2024

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Very clearly a comic about "Genocide" Joe Biden and Voting Blue No Matter Who IMO

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Youremother posted:

Very clearly a comic about "Genocide" Joe Biden and Voting Blue No Matter Who IMO

The sad thing is you're probably right.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neito posted:

Kellies Nomination: Most easily reinterpreted. I had to double check the comic to make sure I understood what was going on, that's not sending the message you think it is, Branco.

If you’ve ever used the term “reverse racism,” it means you don’t have a problem with racism so long as certain conditions are met.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Youremother posted:

Seems likely. Biden is frequently cited as the "harm reduction candidate."

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I'm guessing it relates to the recent proposal to cut what banks can charge for overdraft fees by about half, rather than just eliminating them entirely.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Youremother posted:

It's definitely this. Lubchansky has done many cartoons on this theme before, usually with the message "voting is pointless, might as well not bother anyway". "Harm reduction" is the term used to describe a specific voting strategy where you vote for the least bad candidate in the general election to minimize the damage that will be done to the world by that person. Obviously, there's a lot of debate (here and elsewhere) on that topic and its morality and effectiveness.

On the one hand, I know my own opinion is that the harm reduction strategy is the correct one, and so I want to excoriate Lubchansky here. On the other hand, I can empathize with their feelings on the topic; it's exhausting and demoralizing to be asked to vote for the less bad candidate over and over again. It's hard to get upset with people who are just depressed about the world they have to live in, although I do hope they come around and go for harm reduction in the longer term, since some of that harm will actually be done to people I love if Trump is elected in 2024.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It is also demoralizing because there is an upper limit to the number of times we can do this dance where they say "vote for us to prevent horrible things," and then the horrible thing happens anyway, and they go "well just vote harder."

I distinctly recall, right after Roe was struck down, they said "vote to protect abortion rights" and the first response was "WE DID."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Is it bad that one of my first thoughts about this comic was, "drat, that dude has a thicc rear end"?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Harm reduction/lesser-evilism is an admission that we have already lost and there is no hope of things ever getting better. Things will forever get worse, more evil and more harmful, and the only choice we get is rate of increase. And then the people espousing it seem baffled that that makes people depressed and demotivated.

Byzantine fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 6, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I can't get everything that I want, so why should I ever vote or otherwise participate in society?

- me, a genius

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Nenonen posted:

I can't get everything that I want, so why should I ever vote or otherwise participate in society?

- me, a genius

Nobody has said this.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Andy Marlette

Bob Gorrell

Mark the date, Gorrell actually drew something new.

Chip Bok

Gary Markstein

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Steve Breen

I really wish people would get Noah's ark right...

quote:

Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.
You'd best draw fourteen of every animal, you cowards :colbert:.

Tom Stiglich

Thank you for telling us you have the palate of a child, Tom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Thank you for telling us you have the palate of a child, Tom.
All foods that are actually good for you, a very strange metaphor.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

I really wish people would get Noah's ark right...

You'd best draw fourteen of every animal, you cowards :colbert:.

Rhinos (?), bears and zebras are all unclean animals. The only clean mammals are the ruminants, they have both cloven hooves and chew cud.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

A really stupid message presented in a decently compelling way, I assume there's no category for that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't I disagree with anything in this because I have no clue what on Earth Lub is trying to say.

Kellies Nomination: Most Incomprehensible
It's a very simple and straight forward metaphor, made especially obvious by the character saying outright "it is harm reduction to use this smaller hammer"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Phlegmish posted:

A really stupid message presented in a decently compelling way, I assume there's no category for that
I dunno, I've seen "Adam too busy with SOME GIZMO to acknowledge God" plenty of times. He could easily be watching TikTok or playing a gameboy or reading Dungeons and Dragons books or whatever else.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Byzantine posted:

Harm reduction/lesser-evilism is an admission that we have already lost and there is no hope of things ever getting better. Things will forever get worse, more evil and more harmful, and the only choice we get is rate of increase. And then the people exposing it seem baffled that that makes people depressed and demotivated.

No, it's not? It's an acknowledgement that there are near-term measures that can and should be implemented quicker while advocating for longer-term solutions. Nobody advocating harm reduction is saying "We get to this part and then stop"; it's not about giving up halfway and assuring yourself you did a good job.

It's basic first aid; you do what you can to minimize damage now, then get to the next level of care where something can be actually solved. If someone's shot in the leg, I can staunch the bleeding with a tourniquet, but nobody is under the illusion that the tourniquet is the solution, it's simply a stop-gap until I can get you to a hospital or at least a first responder.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've been waiting for the Revolution™ for 40 years at this point and it's no closer today than it ever was so yeah, harm reduction voting seems like a good idea to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Neito posted:

No, it's not? It's an acknowledgement that there are near-term measures that can and should be implemented quicker while advocating for longer-term solutions. Nobody advocating harm reduction is saying "We get to this part and then stop"; it's not about giving up halfway and assuring yourself you did a good job.

It's basic first aid; you do what you can to minimize damage now, then get to the next level of care where something can be actually solved. If someone's shot in the leg, I can staunch the bleeding with a tourniquet, but nobody is under the illusion that the tourniquet is the solution, it's simply a stop-gap until I can get you to a hospital or at least a first responder.
You'd have a point if the very next post wasn't:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've been waiting for the Revolution™ for 40 years at this point and it's no closer today than it ever was so yeah, harm reduction voting seems like a good idea to me.
It's defeatism