Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dexo posted:

"Simple poo poo" cannot be taught, is where I disagree. At least the stuff that Fields isn't good at.

I think there are things where you either have it or you don't.

If Fields problem was accuracy, or just footwork(that does need work) or decision making, that's all stuff that can be fixed.

For example: Jordan Love's problem in school was he was a comically bad decision maker(or made the right decision, but trusted his arm too much, before his mechanics and ability were sound enough to do it). And was suspect at layering throws. All stuff that can be worked on. But he goddamn threw them on time(generally), and showed he could throw with anticipation even if the process was sometimes suspect and the play resulted in a comical amounts of ints for a first round QB.

Justin Fields just like doesn't see it in rhythm. It's why everything always looks so difficult for him.

He could get away with it in college when he had an elite offensive line, and it didn't matter how late he was when throwing to Olave and Wilson, and that tight end they had who's name I forget.

If you build the perfect team around Fields I think he can be a top 15ish QB in the League...and then you have to pay him and then keeping that perfect team around him suddenly becomes way way way harder.

Then we just fundamentally disagree. I think this line of thinking is problematic because it allows for coaches to blame players instead of their own flaws. Anything can he taught. Anything can be learned and improved. There will be limits and caps for the amount of progress that can be made for most, but I have always believed work ethic and will are the biggest differences between regular players and superstars. It is about how much you want to succeed at the NFL level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I can’t wait till next year we have this exact same argument but this draft prospect will be different he doesn’t have any of the flaws inherent to Caleb!

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Bears should surround someone better than Justin Fields with talent. :hmmyes:

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

You have my solemn vow that I'm not going to spend a single second thinking about the Chicago Bears until an actual trade or draft pick happens

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

GNU Order posted:

You have my solemn vow that I'm not going to spend a single second thinking about the Chicago Bears until an actual trade or draft pick happens

I make no such promises

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Sataere posted:

Then we just fundamentally disagree. I think this line of thinking is problematic because it allows for coaches to blame players instead of their own flaws. Anything can he taught. Anything can be learned and improved. There will be limits and caps for the amount of progress that can be made for most, but I have always believed work ethic and will are the biggest differences between regular players and superstars. It is about how much you want to succeed at the NFL level.

It's not just being able to get there, but it's being able to get there fast enough to still be considered. Maybe Fields can put it all together, but if he doesn't do it in the next 2 - 3 years, there's no reason not to keep waiting.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If we, fans of NFC North teams, don’t solve the Chicago Bears problems, who will? There are no other teams with qb issues right now, so we should just work on the problem at hand.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Dr. Lunchables posted:

If we, fans of NFC North teams, don’t solve the Chicago Bears problems, who will? There are no other teams with qb issues right now, so we should just work on the problem at hand.

The Falcons or the Dolphins or the Raiders will solve it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The Falcons or the Dolphins or the Raiders will solve it.

lmao if the raiders reunite Getsy and Fields

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ZombieCrew posted:

Justin Fields can't read a defense. He misses the open man often and has shown little improvement in this. If his first read isnt there, he dumps it off, runs, or takes a sack. Draft Caleb and reset the clock. No, Fields is not worth a first.

Is that his fault?

Lamar did the same exact thing a week and a half ago.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yes.

Lamar even when he had no receivers and a Coach who doesn't believe in the forward pass has been a better and more efficient passer than Fields.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HootTheOwl posted:

lmao if the raiders reunite Getsy and Fields

If that happens I fully expect Fields to commit ritual murder-suicide to preserve his honor.

Dexo posted:

Yes.

Lamar even when he had no receivers and a Coach who doesn't believe in the forward pass has been a better and more efficient passer than Fields.

This is the biggest thing for me regarding Fields, even beyond his crummy footwork. He plays scared--and that was acceptable in his rookie year when he was running for his life like so many Bears quarterbacks had to before him, but not anymore--and if his first read is covered, he just loving panics.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 6, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Timby posted:

If that happens I fully expect Fields to commit ritual murder-suicide to preserve his honor.

This is the biggest thing for me regarding Fields, even beyond his crummy footwork. He plays scared--and that was acceptable in his rookie year when he was running for his life like so many Bears quarterbacks had to before him, but not anymore--and if his first read is covered, he just loving panics.

Yes, unlike this year where he was still running for his life because other than the two or so games the full line was there he was getting blown up every play

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes, unlike this year where he was still running for his life because other than the two or so games the full line was there he was getting blown up every play

I'm not suggesting that the Bears' offensive line was elite, but at the very least Jenkins, Wright and Jones were very good, and Nate Davis seems legit. (They just suck when it comes to finding an efficient center.) Fields lost his poo poo the moment he couldn't bullseye DJ Moore or then Kmet as a backup option (and Moore saved a lot of Fields' bullshit throws).

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Getting blown up after holding the ball too long, sure.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fields did get Nano'd from time to time, but yeah, most of his sacks(including the one he got injured on I think that was a sack, he might have thrown it away while getting tackled or something) was because he didn't just loving throw the ball either to an open receiver in structure or throw the ball away instead of taking the negative play of a sack.

And honestly a number of the times he got Nano'd that was the play design, he was responsible for the free rusher and he has to throw the Hot route, or dirt the ball, and he just doesn't do it.

Lucas Patrick did get blown up too much tho. so that's suboptimal.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Timby posted:

I'm not suggesting that the Bears' offensive line was elite, but at the very least Jenkins, Wright and Jones were very good, and Nate Davis seems legit. (They just suck when it comes to finding an efficient center.) Fields lost his poo poo the moment he couldn't bullseye DJ Moore or then Kmet as a backup option (and Moore saved a lot of Fields' bullshit throws).

Jenkins missed 5 games and Jones missed 6, but also you missed the Center, which when it comes to a QB panicking, is the most important line position. And that's how the season ended. D line men teeing off the invisible center blowing up plays before they could ever begin.

E: y'all pay for the fancy stats, what was his TTS, how does that compare?

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 6, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kurt had a couple interesting insights on Caleb. Bears relevant

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Kurt had a couple interesting insights on Caleb. Bears relevant

Lowkey, my favorite QB in this entire draft is Jayden Daniels. I just need him to put on more pounds to that frame of his.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HootTheOwl posted:

Jenkins missed 5 games and Jones missed 6, but also you missed the Center, which when it comes to a QB panicking, is the most important line position. And that's how the season ended. D line men teeing off the invisible center blowing up plays before they could ever begin.

E: y'all pay for the fancy stats, what was his TTS, how does that compare?

I literally mentioned the center in the post you quoted.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
This is a good read imo:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/alex-anzalone-nfl-football-detroit-lions

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Lowkey, my favorite QB in this entire draft is Jayden Daniels. I just need him to put on more pounds to that frame of his.

I’d much rather have Caleb than Jayden.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lol at a linebacker's son just tackling every other kid in preschool

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol at a linebacker's son just tackling every other kid in preschool

Preschool is lowkey thunderdome.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

HootTheOwl posted:

Justin Fields's sack rate - 10.6%

Tyson Bagent's sack rate - 3.4%

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tbf Bagent got a mostly healthy line, but yeah

Bagent can make like 1/3 of the throws that Fields can, but he sees it and throws it even if his arm can't do it.

Not saying Bagent is as good as Fields or better. He's not.

But he loving throws the Ball on time.

I get why Fields would frustrate any OC, to be clear not a defense of Getsy he did truly suck at play calling, because man when the play is there he either doesn't throw it or is late despite having a clean pocket and literally looking at the right spot and receiver coming open.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mike N Eich posted:

Justin Fields's sack rate - 10.6%

Tyson Bagent's sack rate - 3.4%

Yeah, his time to throw is also negative because they never called anything other than a screen or a slant.
https://x.com/NicholasMoreano/status/1716292850592235802?s=20
Sideways football.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It'd be great if Fields threw Slants would really help give him an out against pressure but alas for some reason he loving hates throwing them.

Nothing but Digs and outs

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sataere posted:

I make no such promises

I've been thinking about the Bears offseason since October. QB is the most important position in sports but there's only so much to be said. Either you like Justin or you're ready to move on. There's a kaleidoscope of detail in that decision and it's a good problem to have, but it's still more speculation and projection than fact

I'm not the conversation police but the Bears suck so much and I'm sick of thinking about them. My dad asked me if Washington's OC hire was a tell that we were going to keep Fields. What are we doing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

To talk about the 9th pick It's probably a bit illogical but man I would love to have Bowers at 9.

Running a bunch of 12 and 13 personnel with Kmet and Bowers would be sexy sexy football. Regardless of QB.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Dolphins hired Barry for their LB / run game coordinator position, we hired the former Dolphins LB coach

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1754910584380735552

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Canned Sunshine posted:

I’d much rather have Caleb than Jayden.

Caleb is going #1. It's either Maye or Daniels who are viable options for 31 other teams.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Hot Diggity! posted:

Dolphins hired Barry for their LB / run game coordinator position, we hired the former Dolphins LB coach

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/1754910584380735552

https://x.com/cheeseheadtv/status/1754913242500235381?s=20

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dexo posted:

To talk about the 9th pick It's probably a bit illogical but man I would love to have Bowers at 9.

Running a bunch of 12 and 13 personnel with Kmet and Bowers would be sexy sexy football. Regardless of QB.

Didn't his knee explode or did I imagine it?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I will say that, the fact that consensus leans towards drafting Caleb leads me to believe the Bears aren't going to, because they always do the opposite of consensus in these positions

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hot Diggity! posted:

OK I'm allowing myself to be cautiously excited about the defensive coaching. But why did the Dolphins let this guy go?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Hot Diggity! posted:

Joe Barry is supposed to be a legitimately good LB coach, so good for them.

Not sure why you’d want him as your defensive run game coordinator, but whatever, I’m not a dolphins fan, not my problem.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

OK I'm allowing myself to be cautiously excited about the defensive coaching. But why did the Dolphins let this guy go?

Incompetence? The Eagles wanted Anthony as well.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Also, if the rumors are true, we are supposed to hire the DB coach at tOSU, Tim Walton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Dexo posted:

There's no way he survives to 9. The top of this year's draft is going to be like (in no particular order) QB QB QB WR WR Bowers OT OT then us

If he's there at 9 then yeah take him without thinking, he's insanely talented