Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Taking that long in a story fight is probably due to missing some of the fight mechanics and not from being underleveled. Like you could spend 20 minutes banging away at infinitely respawning adds instead of doing whatever the scripted thing you're supposed to do next is.

i did this for longer than i should have in the solo duty, but fortunately realized what was going on eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I want to play as an archer so I’m waiting until April, but how does character unlock work? Will I be able to pick an archer early on or will it be something you can only get late game?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kefa posted:

I want to play as an archer so I’m waiting until April, but how does character unlock work? Will I be able to pick an archer early on or will it be something you can only get late game?
Eugen and Rackam are available from the start. Unless you mean Song who is coming in the upcoming DLC? If she's like the rest of the characters you can use your first crew ticket and pick an unlockable character very early in the game. There's a few more tickets sprinkled throughout the main game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres no bow character in the game at launch. eugen and rackam use guns though. eugen has a full sniper mode where he has to aim a bit, rackam is more of a shotgunner. so eugen is probably your pick?

therell be a bow character as free dlc later.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Paying2Lurk posted:

Can't believe this game has completely distracted me from Infinite Wealth. Crazyness.

same.

also, the updates better add vira and apollonia.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
The roadmap at https://relink.granbluefantasy.jp/en/updates says "The new characters are unlockable at no additional cost by fulfilling certain in-game requirements. Alternatively, they can be unlocked automatically via purchase."

I don't know if that means they will have specific unlock quests, or if you can hold on to two Crew Cards and get them that way.

I'm not familiar with GBF at all but these characters look really cool based on the pictures from the wiki.

https://gbf.wiki/Tweyen

https://gbf.wiki/Seofon

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 6, 2024

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Diephoon posted:

I'm not familiar with GBF at all but these characters look really cool based on the pictures from the wiki.

Tweyen is very cool. She's an incredibly talented archer with powerful magic and superhumanly good vision whose main problem in life is that being so unapproachably cool makes it hard for her to make friends (except for her equally cool girlfriend).

Seofon is, in fact, the least cool character in the game, to the point where he is so memetically uncool that it wraps around to cool again. He collects rare swords and copies their "spirits" to make ghost swords that he uses in battle, is quite possibly the strongest normal human in the entire setting, and none of this stops him from being a huge, huge dork.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Thuryl posted:

Tweyen is very cool. She's an incredibly talented archer with powerful magic and superhumanly good vision whose main problem in life is that being so unapproachably cool makes it hard for her to make friends (except for her equally cool girlfriend).

Seofon is, in fact, the least cool character in the game, to the point where he is so memetically uncool that it wraps around to cool again. He collects rare swords and copies their "spirits" to make ghost swords that he uses in battle, is quite possibly the strongest normal human in the entire setting, and none of this stops him from being a huge, huge dork.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I usually don't bother, but for this game I think I'll back up my save.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GranblueFantasyRelink/comments/1ajilff/just_got_to_maniac_difficulty_today_and_this/

You can paste this into windows file explorer's address bar to quickly get to your save folder: %localappdata%\GBFR\Saved\SaveGames

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 6, 2024

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Meme so old 100k damage was a lot in Granblue.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I see, thanks guys. I hope they drop a gameplay video for Song soon, really hoping she’ll be very fast and mobile.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

For playable male Erunes, I wouldn't be surprised if Seox was part of that last round of DLC. He's popular and would be fun in this game I think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

itd be lame to spend 3 slots on the eternals, though.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Endorph posted:

itd be lame to spend 3 slots on the eternals, though.

Nobiyuki Hiyama needs more work. Not like, he's desperate for it, just he should be in more things. Whenever a work doesn't have a Hiyama character on-screen, everyone should be asking ""Where's Nobiyuki?"

But yeah, it'll probably be like an evoker or something.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Diephoon posted:

I usually don't bother, but for this game I think I'll back up my save.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GranblueFantasyRelink/comments/1ajilff/just_got_to_maniac_difficulty_today_and_this/

You can paste this into windows file explorer's address bar to quickly get to your save folder: %localappdata%\GBFR\Saved\SaveGames

also Steam Cloud backs up the entire folder

https://store.steampowered.com/account/remotestorageapp/?appid=881020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Neito posted:

Nobiyuki Hiyama needs more work. Not like, he's desperate for it, just he should be in more things. Whenever a work doesn't have a Hiyama character on-screen, everyone should be asking ""Where's Nobiyuki?"

But yeah, it'll probably be like an evoker or something.

I'm really hoping if they do an Evoker rep they don't double dip and go for Nier...Lobelia is right there..We need him!!!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah evoker-wise id hope for lobelia or geisenborger. Personally I'm hoping for one of the six dragons but they might be too recent.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah, the game really shows that it's plot is from about 2016 or 2017.

Borger's probably too close to Ghaz to really warrant a seperate character, but a lot of the evokers are so weird that I can't think of too many who'd fit and be different enough from the current cast to be worthwhile. MT is basically just Percy, Nier's death mechanical identity wouldn't really fit, Caim's just weird...

I could see Galleon as a support, or maybe Lu Woh or Wilnas as attackers.

Maybe Ewiyar if they can find a way to make "cat" work mechanically; I guess they have Boxtato, so short characters aren't too much of a problem.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Is this worth playing if I have zero interest in the story? How fast could I blast through the story and get to the good stuff? I bought it last night and immediately eye rolled, but the end game looks like some awesome mash up between an ARPG and FFXIV boss mechanics. Debating if I should refund and wait for a sale.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

.Ataraxia. posted:

Is this worth playing if I have zero interest in the story? How fast could I blast through the story and get to the good stuff? I bought it last night and immediately eye rolled, but the end game looks like some awesome mash up between an ARPG and FFXIV boss mechanics. Debating if I should refund and wait for a sale.

I blitzed through the story in about a day of solid play, it's not that long.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If they do a dragon you know it's going to be Fediel.

Watch them add Lucio to Relink and leave Sandy in Versus.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Rascyc posted:

If they do a dragon you know it's going to be Fediel.

It'd be interesting to see how the implement her, TBH. So much of her mechanical identity in the mobage is wrapped up in her field, which isn't a concept that really carries over to this game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Neito posted:

Maybe Ewiyar if they can find a way to make "cat" work mechanically; I guess they have Boxtato, so short characters aren't too much of a problem.

Yeah character size or shape is basically meaningless in this game, there's no reason a cat would be a problem

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

.Ataraxia. posted:

Rolling my eyes... at this post!!!

But yeah even with watching cutscenes it takes like 12-15 hours tops to get through the story its not some 80 hours thing, and theres not even that many long cutscenes. Its just a brief adventure with an established cast

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Thanks friends! I'm not saying it's bad, it's just a style that is not for me :)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The story might not be good but the levels themselves have some excellent set pieces and boss fights that are up there with games like Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the story is solidly not my thing either but the combat is very fun and the environment and monster designs are impressive such that I’ve gotten a bunch of time out of it and will get more.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

.Ataraxia. posted:

I skipped most of the cutscenes. The game does something that I'm surprised I haven't seen before: it gives you a paragraph summary of what you skipped. I have no previous interest in GBF and I didn't care for this game's story. I do like the characters designs themselves. (If there's one cutscene I'm glad I didn't skip it's after you fight Gallanza).

Calling the game a mash up of ARPG and FFXIV mechanics is right on the money. The boss telegraphs are copious and easy to read, which is important when you start fighting more than one at the same time later on. The character building has a lot of options via equipping sigils, but a sizeable chunk of your sigil slots will probably end up being dedicated to increasing your damage cap.

If you like co-op action games, rpg number go up mechaincs, grinding for crafting/upgrade parts, and enjoy the anime aesthetics it's safe to assume you will probably like this game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do characters have unique damage caps, or is it a single fixed number? I guess what I'm asking is do characters who deal lots of small hits have the same need for equipping 5+ damage cap sigils as the ones who hit you 4 times every 30 seconds

e: also is there a setting in training mode to reset the dummy's "total damage received" number? i'd like to test some numbers but even doing the setting that records for 10/30 seconds doesn't actually reset after that timer.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I don't know anything about Granblue, but I'm up to chapter 9 and I've been enjoying the story enough. I just wish there was more than one female party member that wore pants. Weird bit of cultural conservatism that always bugs me when I notice it in anime stuff.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Countblanc posted:

Do characters have unique damage caps, or is it a single fixed number? I guess what I'm asking is do characters who deal lots of small hits have the same need for equipping 5+ damage cap sigils as the ones who hit you 4 times every 30 seconds

e: also is there a setting in training mode to reset the dummy's "total damage received" number? i'd like to test some numbers but even doing the setting that records for 10/30 seconds doesn't actually reset after that timer.

Seems like every single attack/skill/combo hit has its own separately set damage cap going off my Vaseragaing at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the original game has some cool plot stuff but this game mostly sticks to a fairly stock fantasy adventure, partly due to probably wanting to be accessible to newcomers and partly because it started development when the original game's plot was still in that mode. i do think the last couple hours of this game are neat tho, and the character writing is decently strong. solidly Fine. not gonna get mad at someone for skipping tho

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Einwand posted:

Seems like every single attack/skill/combo hit has its own separately set damage cap going off my Vaseragaing at least.

Saw some youtuber who said the same thing, think they're working on nailing down the numbers.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Relink is extremely cozy adventuring about the power of friendship and kicking rear end. Between the unrelentingly grim plots of a lot of recent RPGs, combined with a common sense of humor that is easily confused for contempt, I personally found it kind of nice to just hang out with characters I like doing fun activities like "kill a machine god" and "farm slimes into extinction." I think your mileage probably varies a lot based on whether or not you already like/liked GBF as an IP, though.

Here are some handy tips for newer players, or people struggling to make progress in the harder difficulties.
  • Pick a main and funnel them all of your resources until you no longer need that resource for them (EXP books, Mirage Munitions, Mastery Points, etc.) It is much, much easier to win the Story this way, and it will make you much more immediately impactful to co-op parties. There is almost no "wrong" way to increase your character's power -- spend your Vouchers, level all their weapons, do whatever.
  • Do not dodge spam. You can sprint out of most AOEs if you're quick, so sprint more instead of panic-dodging. You should employ perfect dodges intentionally, usually to either create a window to squeeze in some more DPS during an otherwise annoying segment, or because you can't sprint out of an attack. Mid-air dodging is also incredibly useful as a general rule.
  • Damage Cap is the most essential stat for most people. If you're in the tail end of Maniac or Proud, you should cap it. Each character also has two traits that are unique to them, which can be bought on two different Sigils or, if you're lucky, can be combined into one Sigil that you can gamble on in the endgame. Not every character's unique sigils are essential to every build, but some are, and you should know what they are and plan accordingly.
  • You should almost always interrupt what you're doing to Link Strike, with some rare exceptions that will be obvious. Link Strikes deal way more damage than you think they do, and Link Time is incredibly good.
  • The Bloodlust damage reduction for bosses is so enormous that it is almost never worth it to spend Skills or risk getting hit. Just dodge.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

Diephoon posted:

The game does something that I'm surprised I haven't seen before: it gives you a paragraph summary of what you skipped.

Honestly this was one of my favorite QoL things in the game. I love me some JRPGs, but the cutscenes can be very tedious. I just want to kill mobs and acquire loot :getin:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

guts and bolts posted:

Here are some handy tips for newer players, or people struggling to make progress in the harder difficulties.
  • The Bloodlust damage reduction for bosses is so enormous that it is almost never worth it to spend Skills or risk getting hit. Just dodge.

i do really wish they had integrated this status into the "Mode" bar instead of it being a buff icon. 99% of the time I notice it getting cast or just remember that it's tied to some attack pattern, but the 1% of the time I burn a bunch of poo poo because I forgot a boss had Bloodlust on sucks

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

s1ppycup posted:

Honestly this was one of my favorite QoL things in the game. I love me some JRPGs, but the cutscenes can be very tedious. I just want to kill mobs and acquire loot :getin:

No joke, it's really one of the better QoL features.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

i do really wish they had integrated this status into the "Mode" bar instead of it being a buff icon. 99% of the time I notice it getting cast or just remember that it's tied to some attack pattern, but the 1% of the time I burn a bunch of poo poo because I forgot a boss had Bloodlust on sucks

The boss usually gets a red aura when it happens.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Neito posted:

The boss usually gets a red aura when it happens.
Bloodthirst and Overdrive are distinct. Bloodthirst is a golden glow with big zappy effects, and tends to be shorter/during phases where you're intended to dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Since the inclusion of Ghandagoza, even more than the EXclusion of newer characters, made me feel like the character roster for Relink had been set in stone since the announcement of the game nearly 7 and a half years ago, I decided to look at some of the things in the writing for this game that struck me as more recent events in the mobile game. The first things that popped out were the inclusion of Ares in Katalina's moveset (it's maybe 5 and a half years old by now!?) and Grand Io's uncap fate being part of her fate episodes in this game (apparently 4 and a half years old.) I knew that these weren't super recent, but it still really showed me that my sense of how long it's been since things have happened in the mobile game is very condensed.