Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

FutureCop posted:

MULLET MAD JACK

Crank meets Hotline Miami: You've got 10 seconds to live, but you can extend that life by killing enemies, with extra time being awarded if you kill them stylishly (headshots, environmental/glory kills, etc). Race through at lightning-speed up floor-after-floor of goons to save the babe at the top!

Game is very goofy with its retro-anime style and jokes, and the killing action really got me going in a fun trance-like flow state. I have to admit, though, that while it was very fun, I don't know if I would buy it? I almost feel like I got my full satisfaction with just the demo, though to be fair, it did add new mechanics and obstacles for the next set of floors and it does have a bit of story, so maybe I'm not giving it due credit. There's just so much competition in this sphere and I kind of didn't gel with the very cramped Wolf3D feel this game had.

This reminds me of the absolutely excellent Post Void, although more anime and less hallucinogenic. Installing the demo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

ponzicar posted:

This reminds me of the absolutely excellent Post Void, although more anime and less hallucinogenic. Installing the demo now.

Anger Foot is in a very similar wheelhouse, minus the strict time limits.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1978590/Anger_Foot/

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zereth posted:

What does this mean?

Normals is a graphics word that means the angle that sticks straight out of a polygon, like short hair on a head. I assume inverted normals in this case means the hair went inwards into the head instead of sticking out.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

ponzicar posted:

DarkDobe posted:

Anger Foot is in a very similar wheelhouse, minus the strict time limits.

Ah, these games were on the tip of my tongue when playing! Yeah, these games and other speedrun-esque games like MEATGRINDER, Warstride Challenges, Neon White, HYPER DEMON, and of course boomer shooters like ULTRAKILL are all vying for my attention with their hyper-fast combat: I do like MULLET MAD JACK but oof, there's a lot of 'em!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FutureCop posted:

Ah, these games were on the tip of my tongue when playing! Yeah, these games and other speedrun-esque games like MEATGRINDER, Warstride Challenges, Neon White, HYPER DEMON, and of course boomer shooters like ULTRAKILL are all vying for my attention with their hyper-fast combat: I do like MULLET MAD JACK but oof, there's a lot of 'em!

Don't forget Turbo Overkill which came out last August and is outstanding https://store.steampowered.com/app/1328350/Turbo_Overkill/

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

The 7th Guest posted:

There's Pampas and Selene: Maze of Demons, the latest game by the developer of Ghost 1.0 (AND NO OTHER GAME)

Your Un* hate is showing :v:

It looks good but I'm actually seriously wondering if this game would survive a legal challenge. Konami still maintains the Maze of Galious trademark and related things, and I know that because Naramura of Nigoro literally got the rights to develop a modern remake of Galious and is likely doing so right now. And since Pampas is the character who is the rescue target in Galious...

I don't know. Even the subtitle (The Maze of Demons) is pretty drat similar.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the harold halibut demo is unfortunately a technical mess and starts off so unengaging that i don't know why they thought it was a good idea to release at all

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Demo-wise, Death of the Reprobate continues the story of Immortal John and shows off the series' slowly increasing derangement, as you point and click your way through wonderfully remixed classic art and license free music. Most of the demo content is just standard p&c fare, talk to people until you figure out what items you need then fetch them, but it does also show off a nice puzzle that was probably half my forty minute playtime.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1739900/Death_of_the_Reprobate/

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

FutureCop posted:

Crank meets Hotline Miami: You've got 10 seconds to live, but you can extend that life by killing enemies, with extra time being awarded if you kill them stylishly (headshots, environmental/glory kills, etc). Race through at lightning-speed up floor-after-floor of goons to save the babe at the top!

Game is very goofy with its retro-anime style and jokes, and the killing action really got me going in a fun trance-like flow state. I have to admit, though, that while it was very fun, I don't know if I would buy it? I almost feel like I got my full satisfaction with just the demo, though to be fair, it did add new mechanics and obstacles for the next set of floors and it does have a bit of story, so maybe I'm not giving it due credit. There's just so much competition in this sphere and I kind of didn't gel with the very cramped Wolf3D feel this game had.

I 100% love this game's aesthetics, but it's just too simple mechanics-wise. I absolutely cannot fault the visual execution in any way (and wish that a more ambitious game would try something similar) , and I kinda wish that it and Turbo Overkill could have a baby and it would be the best FPS ever, but it's 100% absolutely gorgeous sizzle and very little steak.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The biggest gut feeling I get every demo fest or big steam sale is that there are too many loving video games. Stop making them. I can barely play the ones I already got. I need to be able to catch up so ban video games for like, two years.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Yeah, I don't bother trying demos. I'll just wait and see what games turn out to be amazing and get those down the line. Got too many games to play already.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Demo-wise, Death of the Reprobate continues the story of Immortal John and shows off the series' slowly increasing derangement, as you point and click your way through wonderfully remixed classic art and license free music. Most of the demo content is just standard p&c fare, talk to people until you figure out what items you need then fetch them, but it does also show off a nice puzzle that was probably half my forty minute playtime.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1739900/Death_of_the_Reprobate/

oh dang i didn't realize this game was participating!

Sininu posted:

Yeah, I don't bother trying demos. I'll just wait and see what games turn out to be amazing and get those down the line. Got too many games to play already.
that doesn't work for me, too many games are Very Positive on steam and goon consensus doesn't always align with my views

the only way I know i'll enjoy a game i buy is if i've demoed it first

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Demo fests are really nice because I have played enough mainstream games to get tired of the lowest common denominator formulas and demo fests let me pretty easily find the more obscure games that actually do something new and interesting.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I am absolutely stoked as poo poo that we are getting Demos again, it's gotten to the point that I'm disappointed when there isn't a demo, as I may or may not like a game but I can't honestly tell from the Steam page and trailers. I have pirated games just to try them (truthfully!) and gone back and bought a bunch them. Blasphemous, System Shock Remake, Streets of Rage 4, RE2remake, AMID EVIL, to name a few. Great loving games that really where doing themselves a disservice by not letting people touch the goods. Likewise, I've pirated a few and left them unfinished as I felt my misgivings on them where justified, which further reinforces my bias that demos are good for the industry, rewarding good poo poo and steering people away from the lemons etc.

It was a dark time that last decade where all we had where cinematic trailers and word of mouth, glad we're moving away from that.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

Islands of Insight is good, and I'll likely buy it

Ok, you got me there. That looks amazing and a worthy new title to go along Talos/Witness. I'm so buying this the second it...

quote:

MMO

Uh, what?

quote:

multiplayer/always-online aspect (it even has EAC)

Well yeah, gently caress that... :psyduck:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zereth posted:

What does this mean?

it means the 3d modelers accidentally made it inside-out, with the polygons that were supposed to face outwards facing inwards instead.
this is an issue because in most 3d engines only the front face of polygons is actually drawn and the back half is "invisible". so you'll get a shape like this cube where you can only see the inside and not the outside.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Demos are why I tried Cobalt Gore and En Guarde, and those are both games I wouldn't have bought without playing and yet have gelled with me 100% more than any big budget release last year.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Star Trucker has a demo. Seems interesting if the idea of space trucking appeals. Has some bugs (there's one cold area that the in-truck heater only works to counteract some of the time, a few blocked cargo drop off points, battery and fuel wear seems too high, needs an FOV slider), but the bones of something cool are there and I really like how it's doing the full on "trucks but in space" deal.

Yeah agreed. I like it! It's the sort of chill trading space game I'm looking for, and has some nice ideas. Agree that it needs an FOV slider though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Regarding Star Trucker: does the whole game really need me to keep pressing space constantly while I'm driving the truck? Is there some sort of cruise control? Because I don't really feel like playing extended times with one button held down most of the time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Same on Star Trucker. I was initially a bit concerned it might end up being too one-note, but having a fairly expansive and detailed truck interior as well the option for spacewalks adds a nice immersive dimension to it that should keep it fresh for longer.

TeaJay posted:

Regarding Star Trucker: does the whole game really need me to keep pressing space constantly while I'm driving the truck? Is there some sort of cruise control? Because I don't really feel like playing extended times with one button held down most of the time.

There's a drive assist toggle in the lower middle of the dashboard. If you disable that, the truck will switch to full newtonian controls, meaning it'll maintain the current direction and velocity until you thrust another direction. Good for those longer cruises, as well as turning and sideslipping to get in position in front of gates more easily.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 6, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The biggest gut feeling I get every demo fest or big steam sale is that there are too many loving video games. Stop making them. I can barely play the ones I already got. I need to be able to catch up so ban video games for like, two years.

Word, they need to put all releases on hiatus for like three or so years.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

We probably will see a lot fewer releases over the next several years, what with all the studios being closed or decimated :smith:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Thanks to everybody for showing off their corner of the fest! I'm gonna see if I can try and get 1-2 more demos in before I have to go to work.

EDIT:

Underspace claims itself to be "the spiritual successor to Freelancer with a Lovecraftian, sandbox RPG twist." After looking at a picture of the original Freelancer, I'll say that it's at least got the artstyle down point, if not borrowing most of the UI elements outright. Gameplay seems fine, it's a very by-the-book six-degrees-of-freedom space shooter. If anything it feels like it gets a little bit better when the game tries to go off in its own direction and lets you fight space whales. Underspace also seems to have had a surprising amount of effort put into worldbuilding relative to what I was expecting from a random NextFest game, although it's very standard Sci-Fi, complete with a lot of proper nouns that you can ask a hub NPC about but can otherwise sort of vaguely derive from context.

I wasn't personally enthralled by Underspace, but it does give you exactly what it promises. For the people who have been complaining that there's been no good space game since Freelancer, well there you go. This one might benefit from a second opinion from somebody who plays more of these, though.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 6, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My memory might be exaggerating things, but I remember Stormgate first being announced with a lot of talk about it being newbie friendly and campaign focused and then at some point they did a complete 180 and started hyping up how it was going to be an amazing esports game for hardcore competitive players at which point I stopped giving a single solitary gently caress.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not sure, I haven't followed it super closely but yea I just want a cool fun "Hero RTS" campaign.

Zero interest in PvP in that kind of game.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I understand how hard and stressful it can be to get a demo ready for next fest but there's so many of these demos that just completely break

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Star Trucker's star truck really, really needs some thrust upgrades

it's more like a star tractor

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Sword of Convallaria's demo made me mad, because it's got the right FFT feel (at least early), good pace to battles, crisp animations, and then back-to-back you get introduced to the gacha system AND the mobile-game energy system. Immediate close and uninstall from me, despite being a habitual Genshin pig.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I confused homeworld with homefront and was wondering why everyone was so excited for a homefront demo

Orv
May 4, 2011

Resdfru posted:

I confused homeworld with homefront and was wondering why everyone was so excited for a homefront demo

Homefront should be owned by Embracer now so that’s definitely an IP they should bring back to get them out of the hole

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Resdfru posted:

Maybe they would stick Timesplitters 3 in there like they did with 2 in the last one.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Ratten Reich is pretty bad. Lots of generic assets and bad visual effects, bad voice acting, buggy as gently caress too; Control groups are busted, individual soldiers vanish into thin air and the game crashed like 10 minutes into a mission. There seems to be zero use of the rats vs mice theme too, you are just playing notgermans with perfectly human voice acting and no real rat features to be seen. Don't even have tails.

Pretty disappointing. I think their vehicle designs are fairly good so it's a shame to see the rest is pretty poo poo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vermintide 2 still undisputed king of rat games

e: despite such heavy hitters as Bad Rats and Rattenreich

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Det_no posted:

Ratten Reich is pretty bad. Lots of generic assets and bad visual effects, bad voice acting, buggy as gently caress too; Control groups are busted, individual soldiers vanish into thin air and the game crashed like 10 minutes into a mission. There seems to be zero use of the rats vs mice theme too, you are just playing notgermans with perfectly human voice acting and no real rat features to be seen. Don't even have tails.

Pretty disappointing. I think their vehicle designs are fairly good so it's a shame to see the rest is pretty poo poo.

So are there usable vehicles? I quit playing it pretty quickly.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Anyone check out the Synergy demo yet?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1989070/Synergy/

Looks like a promising entry into the Impressions style of city builders. I'll probably download it tonight.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mordja posted:

So are there usable vehicles? I quit playing it pretty quickly.

I'm not sure there are any in the demo mission. The mice's vehicles are supposedly all "broken" too according to mission briefing but I didn't get far before the game exploded on me.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's nice and feels pretty classic city builder. Nothing too ground-breaking, but just enough to have its own identity and play well.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Daily free sticker from Lunar New Year sale: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/lunarynewyear2024

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
February Humble Bundle Choice is up:
  • Life is Strange: True Colors
  • Scorn
  • Destroy all Humans 2!
  • Beacon Pines
  • There is no Light
  • Children of Silentown
  • Oaken
  • Snowtopia: Ski Resort Builder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Master_Odin posted:

February Humble Bundle Choice is up:
  • Life is Strange: True Colors
  • Scorn
  • Destroy all Humans 2!
  • Beacon Pines
  • There is no Light
  • Children of Silentown
  • Oaken
  • Snowtopia: Ski Resort Builder

丂匚ㄖ尺几