Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

back in the 90s there was usually an average of one chinese restaurant per three thousand people, so in a town like mine (which was so rural we had no thai, indian or italian) there were three. the families running them had always been doing it for like a hundred years through the most racist periods in australian history and had sailed through some serious poo poo. sadly the multigenerational small town restaurant families have mostly sold up and disappeared now, but there are still some out there keeping the fires burning

the other unbreakable pillar of cuisine is the vietnamese bakery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Furnaceface posted:

Not British floppy bacon but peameal bacon, the best bacon.

That's BINO

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

in the 00s a new genre of culinary badasses stepped up to brave the frontiers of rural australian racism. the kebab vendors will inherit the earth

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A shameful floppy bacon (probably is cucked by the lettuce in a BLT):

A proud Crispy Bacon (definitely fucks):

Sorry, Brits. There are many wonderful things and foods in the U.K., but your bacon game is dire.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Why, Leon

I ask you, why

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nothing wrong with soft cooked bacon imo. Crispy has it's place.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tesseraction posted:

Nothing wrong with soft cooked bacon imo. Crispy has it's place.

Yeah in my mouth

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that is for tonight, eat your sandwich

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sorry but do you know that there is a word for that weird floppy round bacon? It's ham. Just ham. It's not bacon don't call it that.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i like my bacon part crispy, but with a nice portion of chewy fat left on. bacon with all the fat rendered should only be used to make bacon bits. please make a note of this in case any of you ever make some bacon for me

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

Sorry but do you know that there is a word for that weird floppy round bacon? It's ham. Just ham. It's not bacon don't call it that.

well it could be gammon or boiling bacon, but yes I take your point

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tesseraction posted:

boiling bacon

????????

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A giant lump of uncut bacon you boil. I don't know how it's fundamentally different I just know it's cheaper than the good stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Boil... Bacon? Forums are loving me up today fam

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Look it's fakkin' Brittan m8. We boiled are turnips, boiled are bacon, boiled are children and it never did them any harm.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i know i just said i like some chew to my bacon, but that's just hosed up. like, i guess there are some pork belly recipes that are braised in a sauce...

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Tesseraction posted:

boiling bacon
has science gone too far?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

boiling bacon bacchanal brings boisterous brits burbling

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
do you just eat it on it's own or does it go into another dish or what?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sure gelatin is involved somewhere in there

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tesseraction posted:

Look it's fakkin' Brittan m8. We boiled are turnips, boiled are bacon, boiled are children and it never did them any harm.

Yeah the difference is that boiling is an acceptable way to cook turnips and children, but bacon???? Deranged

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Professor Beetus posted:

boiling is an acceptable way to cook turnips and children

9 out of 10 gingerbread houses witches agree!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

A giant lump of uncut bacon you boil. I don't know how it's fundamentally different I just know it's cheaper than the good stuff.

Is that similar to what we call a cottage roll? You can boil or BBQ a cottage roll.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i'm not fond of boiled bacon but it's not that different from irish corned beef. you boil the bacon with other things to flavor them with the fat and salt.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

i'm not fond of boiled bacon but it's not that different from irish corned beef. you boil the bacon with other things to flavor them with the fat and salt.

Yeah if you boil a cottage roll right its honestly quite delicious. Cabbage is one of the most common things you toss in there, and it somehow just works. Looks gross as hell though.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cease to Hope posted:

but beef brisket has a ton of connective tissue which turns to collagen with slow cooking. bacon doesn't

i guess my issue isn't so much the flavor as the texture, but i guess i don't cook with back bacon so maybe i'm not really grasping the final result

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

bacon...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

an egg posted:

bacon...

an egg

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Xand_Man posted:

Yeah in my mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r4NM-siWA0&t=790s

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

hate when you buy something and then immediately lose it

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Professor Beetus posted:

Yeah the difference is that boiling is an acceptable way to cook turnips and children, but bacon???? Deranged

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Britain's bacon game is whack, but I think they are on to something with baked beans on toast as a breakfast food.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Some Asian cities now have American-style Chinese restaurants so that people who tried and liked it can still get some slightly gross orange chicken when they go back home but I’m not as sure about UK-style. Maybe some places in Hong Kong do that?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm sure somewhere in Hong Kong serves boiled boot leather yeah

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HK serves coffee and tea together, can't trust them

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
they perfected the british take on tea by going over the top with cream and sugar

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What did they do with Donkey Kong Junior?

He just loving disappeared.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my head cannon is that from donkey country onward it's a grownup junior and cranky Kong is senior from the original games

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

my head cannon is that from donkey country onward it's a grownup junior and cranky Kong is senior from the original games

Donkey Kong Country establishes that Cranky Kong is the grandfather of DK and he is the original Donkey Kong.

That would make Donkey Kong Junior the father of DK, but he disappears after Mario Kart and is never mentioned again. DK takes his place in all future Mario Kart games and DK's parents are never mentioned again.

Later on, it is established that DK was raised by Cranky, which implies that his father and mother disappeared shortly after he was born. Donkey Kong Junior is never mentioned again and his existence is only passively confirmed by the fact that they note DK was raised by his grandfather.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I just googled to see if there was an actual answer to the question and it has only raised more questions.

In Mario Kart: Double Dash, a character that resembles Donkey Kong Junior will very rarely appear in the crowd to watch the race when Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are racing:

quote:

Non-playable character resembling Donkey Kong Jr., composing the crowd watching races, as seen in the game Mario Kart: Double Dash!! for GameCube.

This is the only acknowledgement that DK Jr. is still alive and apparently aware of his son, but refuses to meet him.