Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zero_Grade posted:

The last couple Civ games have had a metric shitton of achievements. A lot of the titles for the ones that are just doing normal stuff are references (ie, "Rome If You Want To" for winning as, well, Rome) . Then there's the ones that combine a joke title with a gimmick thing to pull off ingame, and the devs really had fun with those. Some of my favorites from VI are:

Legends of the Hidden Temple
Build a Colossal Head adjacent to a Holy Site with a Temple.

We Are The Champions
Win a regular game with a Religious victory with your dominant religion being Zoroastrianism and at the time of victory you are the Suzerain of Zanzibar

Luftballons
Use a bomber class unit to detonate a nuclear device, as long as its base and 9 Observation Balloons are located on the continent of Nena at the time of detonation.

and of course the best of them all:

Pizza Party!
Activate Leonardo da Vinci in New York with Great Works from Michelangelo and Donatello -- and a sewer -- all in that city.

Those last two are incredible. The gunpoint punching achievements are great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The classic example from Civ V requires you to have your American archaeologist dig up an artifact in Egypt with a German archaeologist in close proximity.

Raiders of the Lost Ark; that's the achievement name too.

Edit: Throwing in these two because I came across them while looking up the above and they were cute:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Feb 4, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

very risky blowjob posted:

i loved the driving when, like, it was literally so janky that the only way to turn without wiping out a sidewalk full of people was to drift

lol night city completely depopulated by a 16 year old taking their driver's license exam

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sorry for another clip from my twitch but it is the only time I play video games and this game is wonderful. Stray lets you investigate paper bags on the ground, with predictable results. your controls are reversed :3:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FaintDifficultHumanKippa-rjJMhnDCBGE_96RK

The achievement looks so dire and scary too and that's got to be intentional

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint right now, and I like that all the enemy bases feel appropriately big. The backstory is that a tech whiz bought a tropical island and established his robot company there, so there are futuristic buildings, hydroponic farms, and industrial stuff everywhere. And it's all kind of realistically sized, often hundreds of meters from one end to the other.

I haven't visited the main city yet, but I bet it's a doozy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Philippe posted:

I'm playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint right now, and I like that all the enemy bases feel appropriately big. The backstory is that a tech whiz bought a tropical island and established his robot company there, so there are futuristic buildings, hydroponic farms, and industrial stuff everywhere. And it's all kind of realistically sized, often hundreds of meters from one end to the other.

I like to shoot people with the sniper rifle

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh same. It's maybe my favorite sniping game after Sniper Elite 5.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s a base on a snowy mountain that’s a lot of fun for sniping because you can’t see poo poo past like 200m but neither can they.

Breakpoint got poo poo on for release because of some fairly mild MTX stuff (the unlock system is exactly the same as in the previous game, but you can pay to unlock stuff if you don’t want to find it). It came out at peak MTX backlash though so people focused on that and ignored that the game is better than Wildlands in like, every single way. Yes, even the gear score. :colbert:

I actually like the gear score. It doesn’t effect your ability to kill poo poo directly much (only in very specific circumstances against very specific enemies) but it’s fun to put a lot of stuff that makes drones have a harder time detecting you on and get the drop on one of the big fuckoff tanks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I haven't played with the gearscore much, because it seemed too similar to AC Odyssey, and that was the only thing about that game I didn't like. Also I can oneshot the bigboy Wolf badasses if I get them in the head.

Is it good?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It mostly just gates what little bonuses you get on gear. If you headshot a wolf they die, though I think it does effect non-headshots. I can’t remember if it effects damage to drones but I usually avoided those early on or used a shitload of items on them.

You can headshot Walker in the intro regardless of your gearscore and one of his flunkies takes his place in cutscenes. Headshots really don’t care about gear score.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Thanks! I don't think I'll bother with it, because playing without armor bonuses makes me more apprehensive about fighting.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a base on a snowy mountain that’s a lot of fun for sniping because you can’t see poo poo past like 200m but neither can they.

Breakpoint got poo poo on for release because of some fairly mild MTX stuff (the unlock system is exactly the same as in the previous game, but you can pay to unlock stuff if you don’t want to find it). It came out at peak MTX backlash though so people focused on that and ignored that the game is better than Wildlands in like, every single way. Yes, even the gear score. :colbert:

I actually like the gear score. It doesn’t effect your ability to kill poo poo directly much (only in very specific circumstances against very specific enemies) but it’s fun to put a lot of stuff that makes drones have a harder time detecting you on and get the drop on one of the big fuckoff tanks.
I'm glad you liked it but that's just edgy contrarianism, sorry - gearscore in that sort of game is absolute poo poo and the game didn't need it, it was clearly meant to drive up "engagement" except people didn't buy the game over it so I guess ~gamers~ are at fault because they didn't understand, man??? It also suffers greatly from Ubisoft syndrome where it's WILDLANDS BUT LARGER and with even more things to pick up in some random ruined farmhouse. The size and density of Wildlands was fine already.

Also Wildlands is clearly better in the "actually feels like a place where people live" department, I like the modern architecture but Breakpoint is a bit too sterile in a lot of places. And the story is even more contrived and stupid than Wildlands.

Philippe posted:

Thanks! I don't think I'll bother with it, because playing without armor bonuses makes me more apprehensive about fighting.
I'd keep playing without it because it adds absolutely nothing (well I guess negative something?) to the game IMO.

Except for the "too sterile" part I'm also a big fan of the scale and architecture. It's a bit annoying sometimes due to how large the distances are if you don't want to fast travel everywhere (the KB+M helicopter/aircraft controls are terrible and flying doesn't remove the fog of war on the map :argh:), but there are a lot of intriguing places to find and the virtual commando operator dressup is pretty good. As are the custom difficulty options, I'm usually not a fan of "realistic" difficulties but here I can turn on the parts I do enjoy, without being limited to some bullshit roguelike hardcore mode like in some games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm playing with gearscore now after a previous playthrough without, and honestly, I don't really notice any difference. I'm sure the bonuses actually do something, but not enough to make me care.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I sort of wish this game was more like Snake Eater, so there was a reason to hunt for food. Also my Ghost can run for too long, even on the highest stamina drain, and the exhaustion debuff doesn't mean much, so there's not much need to keep the water bottle around.

Thread appropriate: Even without the gearscore, there's a reason to gruffle around for chests. You need those weapon parts to make your gun better. I don't like driving, because then I'd miss those things.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The usual Gearscore/Tiny%Increase problem that every other game has happens there too.
The End-level bonuses can have some big percentages swings though. I had a bunch of gear with +% damage to Drones that made a notable difference, otherwise I ran about with Speed Increase gear.

Philippe posted:

I'm playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint right now, and I like that all the enemy bases feel appropriately big. The backstory is that a tech whiz bought a tropical island and established his robot company there,
Voiced by Rodney Mullen out of all people :psyduck:

You can headshot Walker in the intro regardless of your gearscore and one of his flunkies takes his place in cutscenes.
I always wondered about that.
I assume that's the fallback state for being able to raid his base as soon as you get into the open world.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croccers posted:

I always wondered about that.
I assume that's the fallback state for being able to raid his base as soon as you get into the open world.

I think it was more for him being exposed in the intro, IIRC if you fight him in his base he has a lot of high level Wolves with him. Those are the enemies that do more damage if your gear score is lower, and he also has some kind of Bullshit Protecto Drones so you can’t just headshot him. You can probably take him out if you’re able to consistently headshot the wolves but I think players are more likely to kill him early in the intro than do the base super early (pre-being able to turn off gear score, at least).

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Croccers posted:

Voiced by Rodney Mullen out of all people :psyduck:

Wait like.. the skateboarder Rodney Mullen??? That's wild!

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Alhazred posted:

Canonically Bayek lost his finger because he was a idiot. Then the rest of the assassins decided they would cut off a finger to honor his idiocy.

To me, the way he lost his finger felt more like it was gonna happen sooner or later, the way the blade is thought out. The funnier bit was in the DLC (I think?) when one of your follower goes "Hey Bayek look I cut my finger just like you!" and Bayek just goes "WTF you stupid idiot?!".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When you first get the hidden blade in AC2, this happens

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I'm still bummed that I missed the "Give Leonardo a hug" quick time event. He looked so disappointed.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Weird Pumpkin posted:

"Instructions unclear, management said they wanted us to cast a Casper expert, and we got one, alright?"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Philippe posted:

Breakpoint has an incredibly bad rap. The game is giant, but not in the way Wildlands or AC: Odyssey were. There is a ton of content and an interesting story, and sniping and stealth will get you through the entire game. I have 100 percented it, including the weird Terminator tie-in missions (surprisingly fun, especially when you see a T-800 absolutely wrecking some Wolves), and still log in to try different approaches on some of the nastier bases and Behemoths.

orcane posted:

I'm glad you liked it but that's just edgy contrarianism, sorry - gearscore in that sort of game is absolute poo poo and the game didn't need it, it was clearly meant to drive up "engagement" except people didn't buy the game over it so I guess ~gamers~ are at fault because they didn't understand, man??? It also suffers greatly from Ubisoft syndrome where it's WILDLANDS BUT LARGER and with even more things to pick up in some random ruined farmhouse. The size and density of Wildlands was fine already.

Also Wildlands is clearly better in the "actually feels like a place where people live" department, I like the modern architecture but Breakpoint is a bit too sterile in a lot of places. And the story is even more contrived and stupid than Wildlands.

I'd keep playing without it because it adds absolutely nothing (well I guess negative something?) to the game IMO.

Except for the "too sterile" part I'm also a big fan of the scale and architecture. It's a bit annoying sometimes due to how large the distances are if you don't want to fast travel everywhere (the KB+M helicopter/aircraft controls are terrible and flying doesn't remove the fog of war on the map :argh:), but there are a lot of intriguing places to find and the virtual commando operator dressup is pretty good. As are the custom difficulty options, I'm usually not a fan of "realistic" difficulties but here I can turn on the parts I do enjoy, without being limited to some bullshit roguelike hardcore mode like in some games.

You can turn on and off gearscore and alter pretty much any of the Tactical challenges. I found Wildlands too busy. The driving controls in Breakpoint are also a lot better.

Humbug Scoolbus has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Feb 6, 2024

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Breakpoint: I like the classes. The upgrade conditions force you to play in a certain way and it's neat. For instance, I'm using the Echelon class (the Sam Fisher fan class) and my current conditions are to kill people while sneaking, to kill 3 people in under three seconds, and to CQC people.

The gameworld is large, but as Humbug Schoolbus said, not as big as other Ubi games. AC Odyssey and Valhalla, especially, feel absurd. You can easily walk around and find cool poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like the Phantom class. Having a Wolf drat near step on you right before you erupt from your hide and stab the living poo poo out of them is always fun.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

gently caress yeah buddy.

I miss the Splinter Cell games, but playing an Echelon gives me a similar enough experience. I wish you could interrogate regular guys and gently caress with them. "Think of a number between 1 and 10." - "Uh, 7?" - "Correct."

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Infiltrating a base with minimal UI and a buddy on overwatch/drone scouting is probably the best stealth gameplay I've had in years. Having to rely on them to tell you where to go and when it's safe, knowing they've only got a limited perspective and you've got to constantly be on your toes is amazing.

Being the person on overwatch is also pretty great, because you have to constantly change your focus and see potential threats and guide your friend around them, if you can't eliminate them. And hope you don't leave them exposed because you have to relocate for a better vantage point.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgWxR5cVt5s
I'll be surprised if he didn't do the mo-cap too. The character has that hunch.

I think it was more for him being exposed in the intro, IIRC if you fight him in his base he has a lot of high level Wolves with him. Those are the enemies that do more damage if your gear score is lower, and he also has some kind of Bullshit Protecto Drones so you can’t just headshot him. You can probably take him out if you’re able to consistently headshot the wolves but I think players are more likely to kill him early in the intro than do the base super early (pre-being able to turn off gear score, at least).
I just guessed you could could get friends to carry you during that and bugger up the whole chain. It's neat that they let you do that, they could just lock the door on you.
Can you find Josiah early? I don't exactly remember how the plot flows. I know after the kidnapping you can go straight to him without taking out the other top Wolves and figuring out the clues they drop.
I also know that whatever Wolves you skip over turn up in the Walker fight in the base too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I turned gear score off in Breakpoint and went hunting for specific weapon attachments. I started sniping a bunch of enemies in a base before I went in. Was suddenly surpised to get a message that I killed one of the Wolves on a lookout tower.

Pretty sure this target of happenstance was supposed to be a sniper themselves. Git gud, scrub :smuggo:

I enjoyed that free weekend for Breakthrough when the first big patch hit very much.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I wish there was a middle ground in single player between solo sneaking where you can get blindsided by a heavy you didn't see, and having your self esteem team with you who passively tags all the enemies before you can.

Edit: nevermind I'm dumb. I'm an Echelon, I've got the sonar vision that tags people for me.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Feb 7, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sometimes I boot up Wildlands just to take my squad up in the beautiful Bolivian hills and sync snipe sicarios for an hour. "Lining up the shot. Shot aquired" "Send it." Pfft pfft pvfft. "Sicarios eliminated"
Hell yeah

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Breakpoint has an incredibly bad rap. The game is giant, but not in the way Wildlands or AC: Odyssey were. There is a ton of content and an interesting story, and sniping and stealth will get you through the entire game. I have 100 percented it, including the weird Terminator tie-in missions (surprisingly fun, especially when you see a T-800 absolutely wrecking some Wolves), and still log in to try different approaches on some of the nastier bases and Behemoths.

Wait, sorry, what?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There used to be a tie in mission with the Terminator franchise, but Ubisoft removed it.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Same reason the Predator mission in Wildlands was removed, Ubisoft was too cheap with the license and only got it for a year or two.

I really don't understand why you'd ever make that choice, though I guess they save 3 cents over a decade or something.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm on the fence about it. On one hand, it turbo sucks that devs can just do this and consumers can't do anything about it (other than piracy). On the other, I wasn't really missing anything before I knew about the Terminator missions, because there's so much drat game in Breakpoint.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh well that sucks, but I have never been able to wrap my head around the idea of temporarily licensing something like that. Just seems like everyone loses, the consumer obviously, but the devs have to go to the trouble of removing something (with all the potential for balance problems or bugs that results) and how does it even benefit the IP holder if it just results in devs going "Well instead of paying you again we'll remove the content" and everyone looks like assholes.

Be insane in any other medium. Online patching and updates were a mistake, if a PS1 game had a guest appearance by Dutch and the Predator, that was that, they're still in the game today.

On reflection I guess the idea is to try and gin up sales by creating FOMO?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh well that sucks, but I have never been able to wrap my head around the idea of temporarily licensing something like that. Just seems like everyone loses, the consumer obviously, but the devs have to go to the trouble of removing something (with all the potential for balance problems or bugs that results) and how does it even benefit the IP holder if it just results in devs going "Well instead of paying you again we'll remove the content" and everyone looks like assholes.

Be insane in any other medium. Online patching and updates were a mistake, if a PS1 game had a guest appearance by Dutch and the Predator, that was that, they're still in the game today.

On reflection I guess the idea is to try and gin up sales by creating FOMO?

it tends to more often be the licensed property not wanting to provide their license for an extended period of time. not a lot you can do as a developer if the tie-in IP's owners go 'yeah we're no longer letting you use the IP'

other than 'don't use the IP in the first place' which tends to be in the hands of the top level people at the companies instead of the devs

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The funny thing is that they didn't actually remove all the terminators from the game, there are still racks of inert ones in one of the factories. In addition to the unlocks still being available.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

flatluigi posted:

it tends to more often be the licensed property not wanting to provide their license for an extended period of time. not a lot you can do as a developer if the tie-in IP's owners go 'yeah we're no longer letting you use the IP'

other than 'don't use the IP in the first place' which tends to be in the hands of the top level people at the companies instead of the devs

It was a tie in for the release of… I think the third Terminator 3? so it may have even been that the rights holder was the one paying Ubisoft to have it in the game since it was a promotional thing.

E: wait, I think Dark Fate was the fourth terminator 3.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I think I had more fun with Wildlands than breakpoint. Might have been the people i was playing with, and the scenery. They're both surprisingly good games though in my opinion, especially with friends.

I've had a lot of good experiences with the Division too, actually. They're hardly groundbreaking games but man I had some great times in the Dark Zone with friends I'd made playing the game when it came out.

(If you haven't played it, it's a combined PVP/PVE Zone where anyone can attack you, and you have to extract any items you find before you can equip them. Calling in a helicopter to extract items announced it to the whole zone, so other people come in to get involved. It gets super tense as you don't know if people are going to betray you and steal your poo poo. Holding off waves of enemies until the helicopter takes off, while warily watching the agents next to you was awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I am not a fan of PvP or PvPvE, so the Dark Zones were not my jam, but Division 2 is a very solid game with a very robust endgame as the PMC rolls in with gear as good as the players.