Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

RIP Toby Keith "We'll Put A Boot In Your rear end"

He's dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Rip
Died from boot in rear end

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rip
Died from boot in rear end

as is the American way

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I went to Toby Keith's "I Love This Bar And Grill!" once in Newport News Virginia, people were square dancing there, and I got a free burger for being a serving member of the Royal Air Force and it came with an American flag sticking out of the top. so RIP Toby and cheers for the burger. :patriot: :burger:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

my_custom_username posted:

Why the hell is the Bear season 2 so weird compared to the first one? I'm 5 eps in and it's became a lot more quippy and saccharine, it's kinda jarring.

stick with it until ep 6 at least so you can experience the 7 fishes.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Why the hell is the Bear season 2 so weird compared to the first one? I'm 5 eps in and it's became a lot more quippy and saccharine, it's kinda jarring.

"We made a good show critics liked! Now let's disappear entirely up our own rear end."

The scene where the sous chef is just eating lovely rich people food around Chicago and going "mmmm!" for fifteen minutes lost me.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i watched Full Metal Jacket recently, that was a "darn good movie"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

RIP Toby Keith "We'll Put A Boot In Your rear end"

I thought he was the guy who sang Crushin It but he wasn't

Crushin it has a good message that beer fixes everything, even access to education

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the show starts with the main character being driven to a near suicidal breakdown by the abusive nature of working in a three star restaurant.

the show then name drops Noma a bunch of times and has one of their characters go there to learn how to bake pastries. one of their irl unpaid interns said she had to cut fruit leather into the shape of beetles for three months and was not allowed to talk or laugh

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

the show starts with the main character being driven to a near suicidal breakdown by the abusive nature of working in a three star restaurant.

the show then name drops Noma a bunch of times and has one of their characters go there to learn how to bake pastries. one of their irl unpaid interns said she had to cut fruit leather into the shape of beetles for three months and was not allowed to talk or laugh

"high end" dining is loving stupid and insufferable.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The worst sin of season 2 is that it has this idea that making and serving fancy food is a devotional act, quasi-religious in its powers to heal the soul. The quippy and sparkly and heartstringy parts are the good stuff. Disclaimer: I watched all of it high as gently caress so your results may vary

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nichael posted:

And Season One of The Bear seemed to acknowledge this, and set-up that the eventual transformation of the restaurant would be high end food but without the horrible culture behind the scenes. Then Season Two rolls around with its head up it's arse and suddenly high end dining is great and all the writers and staff on the show have access to it so can't bad mouth it too much.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if a guy doesn't get killed by a bear at some point, real missed opportunity

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
anthony bourdain gave every kitchen employee the idea that they're some kind of combination artist/doctor/first responder and it sucks big rear end

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Only someone as powerful as Bourdain can resist that temptation after getting famous making the insider critique, these youngins just don't have the morals for it

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

anthony bourdain gave every kitchen employee the idea that they're some kind of combination artist/doctor/first responder and it sucks big rear end

i think it started with kitchen employees but those customized facebook t-shirts lead me to believe this is just as common a line of thinking in most professions. people just wanna see themselves as heroes.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

i think it started with kitchen employees but those customized facebook t-shirts lead me to believe this is just as common a line of thinking in most professions. people just wanna see themselves as heroes.

yeah that's true. drat i wonder if there are any of those funny t shirts for like line cooks

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

the milk machine posted:

yeah that's true. drat i wonder if there are any of those funny t shirts for like line cooks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
lmao

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

jeremy allen white isn't even that attractive he's just an uglier timothee chalamet -_-

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ditch-digging is basically hydrology

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jeremy allen white isn't even that attractive he's just an uglier timothee chalamet -_-

tiny mouth

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've said it before itt but I thought season 1 was a whip-smart satire where they were poking fun at the pretentiousness of fine dining the whole time and hoo boy was I fuckin' wrong

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Nichael posted:

as someone who knows more about it than they probably should: the real secret is that these places don't make any money. the ingredients and pay eat any profit and you can barely break even on alcohol. Like five-star hotels, fancy restaurants are extremely expensive prestige businesses designed to generate social clout for the owner and the actual experience is secondary

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Some dude uploaded all of Bourdain's stuff on Youtube and I've been watching that. Shame the dude is a fail rear end cringe lib and also I guess paid off some kid his wife raped because it's a very good show

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Wrong. He is a young gene wilder. Possibly a clone?

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

DaysBefore posted:

Some dude uploaded all of Bourdain's stuff on Youtube and I've been watching that. Shame the dude is a fail rear end cringe lib and also I guess paid off some kid his wife raped because it's a very good show

Rick Steves is better anyways, I get a lot more out of his travel vids than Bourdain.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bro Dad posted:

as someone who knows more about it than they probably should: the real secret is that these places don't make any money. the ingredients and pay eat any profit and you can barely break even on alcohol. Like five-star hotels, fancy restaurants are extremely expensive prestige businesses designed to generate social clout for the owner and the actual experience is secondary
at least some of them exist specifically so the owner does not need a reservation, basically a way to subsidize a fancy office with catering for the super wealthy

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Cast Jeremy Allen White as wonka and instead of making it like some weird candy harry potter poo poo give it the same frantic anxious energy as the bear. Wonka WILL start a Michelin star candy restaurant and he WILL drive oompah loompahs to nervous breakdowns

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cookie Cutter posted:

Only someone as powerful as Bourdain can resist that temptation after getting famous making the insider critique, these youngins just don't have the morals for it

I don't know if this was true, but in Kitchen Confidential, Bourdain said that due to his drug addiction issues and his overall abrasive personality, no one would ever give him the opportunity to make a true 3 Michelin Star restaurant even though he felt he had the talent for it. Les Halles was going to be as prestigious as it would get for him (and it's actually a nice place to me, so I would think that's just fine).

I wonder if that experience is part of what kept him from becoming a big sellout.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The worst sin of season 2 is that it has this idea that making and serving fancy food is a devotional act, quasi-religious in its powers to heal the soul.
The quippy and sparkly and heartstringy parts are the good stuff. Disclaimer: I watched all of it high as gently caress so your results may vary

It's deeply weird because the tone from season 1 to 2 on this point changed dramatically.

PriorMarcus posted:

And Season One of The Bear seemed to acknowledge this, and set-up that the eventual transformation of the restaurant would be high end food but without the horrible culture behind the scenes. Then Season Two rolls around with its head up it's arse and suddenly high end dining is great and all the writers and staff on the show have access to it so can't bad mouth it too much.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
This may be a big derail, but I wonder what the foodies here think of Gordon Ramsey. I came across his TikTok and it made me sad.

I'm sure his bed full of 100GBP notes probably helps him rest well at night, though.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i make slop and then you poop it out

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

:wrong:
however he's not charismatic/attractive enough to make up for the dip in quality of season 2

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

This may be a big derail, but I wonder what the foodies here think of Gordon Ramsey. I came across his TikTok and it made me sad.

I'm sure his bed full of 100GBP notes probably helps him rest well at night, though.

like all restaurant magnates he probably has issues with quality control and stealing tips.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I mean considering it's just season two and it is pretty clear Carmine's at wits end at the end it is entirely plausible season three will explore the absurdity in pretentious fine dining as they work towards getting a star, in other words,

Let it cook :v:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

I mean considering it's just season two and it is pretty clear Carmine's at wits end at the end it is entirely plausible season three will explore the absurdity in pretentious fine dining, in other words,

Let it cook :v:

Maybe! But it also got boring and unfunny, and all the characters are insufferable now. Again, the sous chef doing an "educational" tour of Chicago where she's just stuffing her mouth with overpriced trash for 15 minutes was really bad TV.

Also, I've been watching through Foundation, and it feels like another show that fell off in season 2. I actually quite liked all the Cleon bits in season 1, but season 2 seems boring and nonsensical.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nichael posted:

Maybe! But it also got boring and unfunny, and all the characters are insufferable now. Again, the sous chef doing an "educational" tour of Chicago where she's just stuffing her mouth with overpriced trash for 15 minutes was really bad TV.

Yeah granted season one was a lot more enjoyable, especially the stuff like taking online orders but not setting it up right so they get like a hundred at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
its poop culture all the way down