Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Red Minjo posted:

Since the inclusion of Ghandagoza, even more than the EXclusion of newer characters, made me feel like the character roster for Relink had been set in stone since the announcement of the game nearly 7 and a half years ago, I decided to look at some of the things in the writing for this game that struck me as more recent events in the mobile game. The first things that popped out were the inclusion of Ares in Katalina's moveset (it's maybe 5 and a half years old by now!?) and Grand Io's uncap fate being part of her fate episodes in this game (apparently 4 and a half years old.) I knew that these weren't super recent, but it still really showed me that my sense of how long it's been since things have happened in the mobile game is very condensed.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Primal Beasts is a wicked old term for them; they're mostly called Primals now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It did strike me as a bit odd to call them beasts when some if not all of them are clearly some level of sentient? At least I’m assuming since they have mind control gadgets for them and Rosetta exists.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Diephoon posted:

The roadmap at https://relink.granbluefantasy.jp/en/updates says "The new characters are unlockable at no additional cost by fulfilling certain in-game requirements. Alternatively, they can be unlocked automatically via purchase."

I don't know if that means they will have specific unlock quests, or if you can hold on to two Crew Cards and get them that way.

I'm not familiar with GBF at all but these characters look really cool based on the pictures from the wiki.

https://gbf.wiki/Tweyen

https://gbf.wiki/Seofon

In the GBF mobile game these are both members of "the eternals", a specific squad of 10 characters who are all obtained for free through a pretty long endgame (or used-to-be-endgame) grind. You'd have to grind for and fully upgrade a special "revenant weapon", and after maxing it out you can get the matching character.

They might do a similar kind of revenant weapon grind in Relink and make these characters pretty grindy to obtain. (After all if it was just crew cards why would they be selling insta-unlock dlc for real money...) Although Seofon's revenant weapon is already in the game as gran/djeeta's ascension weapon! So maybe not.

Neito posted:

The boss usually gets a red aura when it happens.

They actually get the red overdrive aura a few seconds before they activate bloodlust. If you're quick about it, you can SBA after they turn red but before bloodlust turns on. Then the stunlock from chain burst gives you a bunch of time to potentially break the boss out of overdrive and skip the bloodlust phase entirely.

Although I still kinda hate this mechanic because sometimes bosses turn red just for normal overdrive too so if you don't have patterns memorized you won't know whether they're going for bloodlust until it's too late. Meaning you can also easily waste stuff like slow/paralyze skills when you're expecting a regular OD but get bloodlust instead.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 6, 2024

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Ok proud difficulty definitely ramps it up. The entry one was the first time I got a game over in MP. The last part where he does everything again but faster is brutal. Got it on the next attempt a fraction of a second before he blew everyone up.

Since everyone is damage capped, does that make +attack or -def useless? There's a Cagliostro sigil that lowers defense on fully charged collapse, which is pretty cool, but I don't want to equip it if no one's damage will change as a result. Also I'm still casting phantamagoria, unsure if it's helping. At least that also does + party def.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

wereboat posted:

Looking for a new main after breaking my thumbs with Lancelot all weekend, somebody sell me on yours tia

Thank you for everyone who preached about Ghandagoza yesterday. I ignored most of you and settled on Siegfried, and then the game spit in my face and gave me a sigil with both of Lancelot's uniques.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ultrachrist posted:

Ok proud difficulty definitely ramps it up. The entry one was the first time I got a game over in MP. The last part where he does everything again but faster is brutal. Got it on the next attempt a fraction of a second before he blew everyone up.

Since everyone is damage capped, does that make +attack or -def useless? There's a Cagliostro sigil that lowers defense on fully charged collapse, which is pretty cool, but I don't want to equip it if no one's damage will change as a result. Also I'm still casting phantamagoria, unsure if it's helping. At least that also does + party def.

Damage cap is on final damage, so yeah, if you're capping, buffs and debuffs are useless outside of Bonus/Supplemental damage and cap-up.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is matchmaking completely hosed on steam? I am having the hardest time getting random matches for anything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Neito posted:

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Primal Beasts is a wicked old term for them; they're mostly called Primals now.
There's at least one part in the plot where someone in the crew is like "Are primal beasts just primals?" so I think they did try to make a distinction but I lost the thread on why it was important enough to have such a distinction. I just chalked it up to the dub-translation at the time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They should add some hosed up Otherworld beast for a DLC boss.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rascyc posted:

There's at least one part in the plot where someone in the crew is like "Are primal beasts just primals?" so I think they did try to make a distinction but I lost the thread on why it was important enough to have such a distinction. I just chalked it up to the dub-translation at the time.

The people from Zegegrande Skydom call primal beasts primal gods. My very limited understanding was that Granblue world is a post-hegemonic society after the ruling Astral empire was destroyed (self-destructed?) and the reason places like Zegegrande are listed as ‘unexplored’ wherever the main Granblue crew comes from is because they’re still rediscovering the world.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Floor is lava posted:

Is matchmaking completely hosed on steam? I am having the hardest time getting random matches for anything.

It seems real random. I've also started occasionally getting matched where it presumably finds a game, the loading icon pops up in the corner, and nothing happens until I forcibly close the game

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

seems to be entirely based on your download region so if you're in a low population region or it's not primetime you'll take forever to find matches

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023

Floor is lava posted:

If you can't cancel matchmaking, you're already in someone's game and waiting for other players. If you're not trying to do Quick Match specifically, you could try starting a multiplayer session and then doing open matchmaking.
The way matchmaking appears to work is that if you aren't in a session, the game searches for a public session with enough empty slots that is actively matchmaking for that quest to temporarily put you into. If it can't find one at all, it will create a session for you and then other players have to match into you.
You can also try just joining random public sessions and requesting quests.

The quick matchmaking into a random quest is absolutely broken though, no idea how it can fail to find a quest but it often does. Unless every single Steam player is in Proud already.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
i'll give it a test later

would be dumb if its just the usual midwest server population debuff

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

i'll give it a test later

would be dumb if its just the usual midwest server population debuff

yeah set it to NY or Cali or JP and you'll probably fare a lot better.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Orv posted:

The people from Zegegrande Skydom call primal beasts primal gods. My very limited understanding was that Granblue world is a post-hegemonic society after the ruling Astral empire was destroyed (self-destructed?) and the reason places like Zegegrande are listed as ‘unexplored’ wherever the main Granblue crew comes from is because they’re still rediscovering the world.

it's kinda this, the Astrals created the Grim Basin which is basically a giant stormwall that divides the skyrealm into various areas and impedes movement between them unless youre an insane badass/can hire insane badasses to get you through. so there is limited exchange of goods and info but the skydoms are mostly isolated

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Afaik it's ONLY the MC's Grandcypher and the Seven Luminary Knights in service of the "True King" that are known to be able to cross between skydoms.
Well them and Sierokarte.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Floor is lava posted:

Been working fine for me ever since v1.0.4. My Steam download region is US - New York though so that's probably the most popular NA one. If you want a good mix, set it to Japan - Tokyo. You can tab out and change download regions while ingame (don't have to restart Steam despite the prompt)

Ran into my first cheater earlier: a Siegfried that was doing 9999999 every damage instance including when using a turret. Blocked their profile on Steam so hopefully that also prevents matchmaking.

Orv
May 4, 2011

YES bread posted:

it's kinda this, the Astrals created the Grim Basin which is basically a giant stormwall that divides the skyrealm into various areas and impedes movement between them unless youre an insane badass/can hire insane badasses to get you through. so there is limited exchange of goods and info but the skydoms are mostly isolated

Ah okay. It’s a neat enough setup that I tried to learn more but wasn’t able to find any major out of game lore wikis or anything, seems like most of the gacha stuff is just mechanical.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
are you able to glamour/transmog your weapons? i'm tired of looking at the same one

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Countblanc posted:

are you able to glamour/transmog your weapons? i'm tired of looking at the same one
You can. You press I think Square on PS5, so whatever the attack button is, probably, while you're in your Gear setup screen.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

X on PC/Steam Deck.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rascyc posted:

I remember that line, it was "Are primeval gods just primal beasts?" so it was more about clarifying the local term which was "primeval gods".

If anyone wants another time marker from the original GBF to try and figure out where Relink is in the timeline, Vaseraga's fate episodes mentions an incident where he was possessed by a robot moon god, so there's that. I don't play the mobage but when I mentioned that to someone who did they said that that was from a pretty recent event.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The Granblue timeline is all messed up anyways. Events mostly don't happen at any defined point in time relative to the main story.

Notably when bringing up Astrals they've met the MC mentions Loki and Mikaboshi but not Beelzebub, who first showed up in a February 2018 event, seven months before the first chapters with Mikaboshi were added to the main story. (And of course Beelzebub shows up in the Granblue Versus story as well.)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 7, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Digging in a bit they might have been going for an anime fantasy warhammer 40k setting where an unknowable amount of distinct "worlds" exist that they can have adventures in that may or may not be connected to one another

Gran stumbles on an ork skydom locked in a forever war with tyranids

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most recent granblue msq stuff has basically just gone 'anytime the timeline doesnt make sense, just assume its a slightly different alternate timeline'

like the summer event with the shark arm lesbian opens with a joke about a random background npc child having become an adult over the course of all the summer events, but of course none of the actual playable characters have visibly aged, which is fine for like, eugen, but raises questions when it comes to like, io

Orv
May 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

like the summer event with the shark arm lesbian

Come again?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
like a normal lesbian but instead of arm there is shark

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Orv posted:

Come again?

Meg

Meg and her girlfriend Mari

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pictured: shark arm

pictured: lesbian

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and yes i DO think they should be in relink

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Oh absolutely. Meg and Mari rule.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
btw that's not like a special mutation or anything that's just what sharks Do on that island.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Okay yeah I was hoping it was “arm is a shark,” that’s great.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orv posted:

Come again?

Wild arms sequel getting weird

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Neito posted:

Yeah, the game really shows that it's plot is from about 2016 or 2017.

Borger's probably too close to Ghaz to really warrant a seperate character, but a lot of the evokers are so weird that I can't think of too many who'd fit and be different enough from the current cast to be worthwhile. MT is basically just Percy, Nier's death mechanical identity wouldn't really fit, Caim's just weird...

I could see Galleon as a support, or maybe Lu Woh or Wilnas as attackers.

Maybe Ewiyar if they can find a way to make "cat" work mechanically; I guess they have Boxtato, so short characters aren't too much of a problem.

I think any of the Evokers can/should be spiced up a bit by having a large number of their moves be card/primal beast moves rather than just, like, punching things or whatever

Although Vane was in the game from the get go and he's my boy so I don't even know what to ask for other than maybe Threo, the best and coolest Eternal. We don't seem to have any obnoxiously huge axe wielders yet and that's too bad

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

the most recent granblue msq stuff has basically just gone 'anytime the timeline doesnt make sense, just assume its a slightly different alternate timeline'

like the summer event with the shark arm lesbian opens with a joke about a random background npc child having become an adult over the course of all the summer events, but of course none of the actual playable characters have visibly aged, which is fine for like, eugen, but raises questions when it comes to like, io

There's a fan headcanon thing that each new tier of promoted classes for the main character is a year older than the last since they kinda look like they're aging up as the art style evolves, but I guess as of Relink the MC is still canonically 15.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair relink doesnt seem like it takes place anywhere near the most recent story stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vyrn is always really excited about me killing his fellow dragons. How do I know I am not just doing his dirty work for him and he is going to be a bad guy eventually? :colbert: