Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I'm sure all planes can be shot down. Was that up for contention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

I'm sure all planes can be shot down. Was that up for contention?

... this changes everything...

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
next from LockMart: the first 6th gen fighter, the F-41 Titanic. God Himself could not shoot it down!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Staluigi posted:

Don't worry, we're only sending the ones you didn't work on

What's the MOS for an F-35 urination bag technician anyhow?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Couldn't say, my uncles merely work at nintendo, not lockheed martin

HouseofSuren
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

Staluigi posted:

Don't worry, we're only sending the ones you didn't work on

That sucks to find out the f35 is a pile of garbage by an engineer who worked on it for years, it's a flying pile of garbage and I was really an engineer on it.

Some of which were the ones transferred to israel

Give it time and check back in with me to see how these are fairing in an actual war when that time comes.

You guys are talking about f16s and those are never going to see any actual combat besides being shot down by something they'll never see coming from all the AA and russian air superiority fighters

Watching you make up whole fiction about the capabilities of these things is wild.

HouseofSuren fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 6, 2024

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Can you point to any unclassified sources to the F35 being dogshit? Or, perhaps opinions of other, more
definitive sources? I'm genuinely curious.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

I know F-35s were used in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I am dreading if what we find out if/when they get used against an enemy with more resources. The US seems to be dealing with constant teething issues when it comes to that plane, probably due to all the technology that has gotten packed into it and how the military tried to make it everything to everybody.

HouseofSuren posted:

That sucks to find out the f35 is a pile of garbage by an engineer who worked on it for years, it's a flying pile of garbage and I was really an engineer on it.

Give it time and check back in with me to see how these are fairing in an actual war when that time comes.

You guys are talking about f16s and those are never going to see any actual combat besides being shot down by something they'll never see coming from all the AA and russian air superiority fighters

Watching you make up whole fiction about the capabilities of these things is wild.

I don't know if you edited stuff out of your previous post, so maybe I'm missing detailed stuff you were talking about before.

I know Ukraine has had Mig 29 casualties, but from what I understand it hasn't been a total bloodbath for them. If they use the F-16s the same way, it might not be a game changer, but I don't know why they'd all necessarily get shot down either.

I might be wrong, but if anything, from what I have read, it seems like one of the major and continuing surprises about this war is how Russia has been unable to gain air superiority despite having more technologically advanced fighters and more of them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

HouseofSuren posted:

Far be it from me to question a three day old account claiming subject matter expertise, but could you elaborate? Are you not counting air strikes as "actual combat"?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Get to the part where you leak classified schematics or whatever; that's the fun part of this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mutata posted:

Get to the part where you leak classified schematics or whatever; that's the fun part of this.

This isn't the War Thunder forums! We have standards!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If the F35 turns out to be dogshit, does that mean the A10 defenders were right?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The f35 was a disaster of a project, but some of its assumptions like 'u really need a degree of stealth to do poo poo' were correct. And the f-35 is the best thing currently available in that regard so it gets a sort of win by default.

in the context of ukraine it would mean it could get that much closer to the frontlines or in air to air engagements etc., so all else being equal the russian air defenses would have to be deployed closer to the front to be effective, which in turn renders them vulnerable to attack. cascading benefits like that.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 6, 2024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

jarlywarly posted:

Snow Crash

Staluigi posted:

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a Ukranian platoon

You're looking for the ugly shirt from Zero History.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Far be it from me to question a three day old account claiming subject matter expertise, but could you elaborate? Are you not counting air strikes as "actual combat"?

If this is the playbook I'm expecting, we're sure to hear about how the F35 is a complete disaster and would lose in straight matchups with russian or chinese air superiority fighters, and the source is any combination of "trust me bro" and articles or posts detailing the plane's development hiccups

But having someone jump immediately to asserting authority on the subject because they were an engineer who worked on the plane for years is a bold and very fun intensification

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The X-man cometh posted:

If the F35 turns out to be dogshit, does that mean the A10 defenders were right?

The F35 was a smashing success at the core fundamentals: making money hand over fist for the military-industrial complex.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The X-man cometh posted:

If anything, even more A10s get shot down out the sky in a conflict like this. The US DoD reportedly told Ukraine after getting a request for A10s that the A10s would be a "squeaky target"

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/2023/...s%20hands%20up.

I know this gets erroneously stated a lot, but I don't think A10s even had radar to start out with. The avionics are way behind and built for a battlefield from the 1970s. I don't know how much the avionics ever got modernized over the years, but I still think modern anti-aircraft missiles would have a field day.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

HouseofSuren posted:

Oh man, F35's wouldn't even get near Russian defenses, why on earth do you think an F-16 would.

I worked on them. There's no way that plane could avoid getting plunked out of the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uh4yMAx2UA

We can critique how the F-35 has been a huge drain of resources and how the program was run with the multiple variants. The end result is there and many countries are lining up to buy it.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

HouseofSuren posted:

Meanwhile, in contemporary documented reality. Take the tankie fan fics somewhere else.

https://x.com/Osinttechnical/status/1754897963820646729?s=20

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I mean the entire war has been people confidently stating that western equipment is dogshit right up until it dunks over Russian stuff, at which point it gets quietly memory-holed.

Just from memory, HIMARS was not a big deal and would swiftly be destroyed, Patriot batteries were old tech and defenseless against the Kinzhal, and Bradleys were outdated and would be shredded by things like BMPs and T90s.

Bonus points for US CIWS which had never actually been used in combat destroying a cruise missile within a couple days of Russia losing a boat to something CIWS should be effective against (a jetski with explosives on top)

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Speaking of leaks (and hacks)

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1754901906323808469

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
Hey, let him talk. Maybe we can finally find out if the F35 was engineered by idiots.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ynglaur posted:

Tucker Carlson is a loving traitor. He's acting as a foreign agent, is clearly doing so, and should be loving indicted for it.

The biggest harm of arresting a journalist would probably be to the US itself, which has already dropped three points last year in the World Press Freedom Index.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

mawarannahr posted:

The biggest harm of arresting a journalist would probably be to the US itself, which has already dropped three points last year in the World Press Freedom Index.

I'm not disagreeing with you in the sense that I think he should be arrested (lol, no, wtf) but I almost did a spit take at calling Carlson a "journalist".

He's a journalist in the same way I'm Ryan Gosling.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

mawarannahr posted:

so arrest tucker carlson instead of a journalist and get those three points back

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If the assertion is "the battlefield is too saturated with Russian anti-air and no fighter on the planet is going to be able to provide enough SEAD capability to make a difference", that still remains to be proven but seems like a reasonable enough bet. The main reason F-16 is promising is because Ukraine needs more planes and more missiles period, regardless of whatever theoretical new capabilities it might bring.

If it's just dickwaving about chad Russia vs. the virgin West then :shrug:

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Carlson's network seems to be pretty obviously not principally owned by foreign interests so he's not even in violation of FARA. Either way arresting him would be stupid and anti productive, never mind pretty obviously contrary to press freedoms, even if he is a shitbag and not a real journalist

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you in the sense that I think he should be arrested (lol, no, wtf) but I almost did a spit take at calling Carlson a "journalist".

He's a journalist in the same way I'm Ryan Gosling.

drat I can't believe Roosevelt forced a journalist like Charles Coughlin off the air surely this is the end of the American free press :ohdear:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

drat I can't believe Roosevelt forced a journalist like Charles Coughlin off the air surely this is the end of the American free press :ohdear:

In general, when you have to pretend someone is making an entirely irrelevant point, it's not a good sign for your argument.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ranbo das posted:

…Russia losing a boat to something CIWS should be effective against (a jetski with explosives on top)

I agree with you in the broad strokes, but this is pretty definitively NOT what CIWS is for.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

https://notes.citeam.org/dispatch-feb-2-5-2024

CIT updates are the main way I'm following what's going on now but I think this was an interesting thing I haven't seen before:

https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1753848769508974613?t=g4Gh_S3QeT2bTM-g5FB70A

I guess Ukrainians are able to find Lancets with hand held frequency analyzers? Neat.

It does feel like Ukrainians are going to be losing significant ground this year due to issues of ammo resupply though.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

He's not a journalist. A journalist does things like "investigate" and "interview" and "not make things up out of whole cloth because they want them to be true". I recognize it's a slippery slope, but negotiating with a foreign power on behalf of the United States without being authorized to do so is actually a crime, and should be treated as such.

The ironic thing about Fox News is that it's actual news desk wasn't that terrible. They had an excellent polling team for many years, did a decent amount of investigative journalism, etc. The problem is they kept pushing it later and later at night. The "evening news" started at 10pm as of a few years ago, in favor of people just making poo poo up like Tucker Carlson and his ilk. Making poo poo up is not journalism, and should not have the same protections. At best, it's proselytizing, and should enjoy the privileges--and restrictions--of any preacher.

the holy poopacy posted:

If the assertion is "the battlefield is too saturated with Russian anti-air and no fighter on the planet is going to be able to provide enough SEAD capability to make a difference", that still remains to be proven but seems like a reasonable enough bet. The main reason F-16 is promising is because Ukraine needs more planes and more missiles period, regardless of whatever theoretical new capabilities it might bring.

If it's just dickwaving about chad Russia vs. the virgin West then :shrug:

I'm unconvinced that US airpower couldn't penetrate Russian air defenses. They're certainly better than those of Iraq in 1991 (and, we shouldn't forget, Iraq had top-of-the-line Soviet air defenses with all the good stuff in 1991), but Russia clearly learned from that war. They don't seem to have the same centralized air defense command and control which made the Iraqi air defenses so vulnerable, but they suffer a lot of friendly fire as a result. Modern Russian radars are apparently quite good, and you'd think they could detect an F-35 easily, but they're sure as hell having trouble with Storm Shadows.

In addition to the West, China is getting a view of both Russian equipment--on which much of its older equipment was derived--and modern Western kit. I'd be curious how far modern Chinese equipment is from its now-distant Soviet ancestors.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 6, 2024

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

In general, when you have to pretend someone is making an entirely irrelevant point, it's not a good sign for your argument.

I was being a bit sarcastic but I don't think it's entirely irrelevant.

My comparison was more around that neither were/are journalists as much as far right racist agitators and while arresting Carlson might be a bit much it's a bit weird to be hand wringing about him being disrupted (as in the original you quoted post seemed to be) being a blow to real press freedom any more than it would be getting upset that the US government stopped Coughlin from broadcasting his bullshit back in the late 30s.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Why is the thread getting riled up by a 2-day old account making outlandish claims about their credentials?

:sad:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I was being a bit sarcastic but I don't think it's entirely irrelevant.

My comparison was more around that neither were/are journalists as much as far right racist agitators and while arresting Carlson might be a bit much it's a bit weird to be hand wringing about him being disrupted (as in the original you quoted post seemed to be) being a blow to real press freedom any more than it would be getting upset that the US government stopped Coughlin from broadcasting his bullshit back in the late 30s.

Ah, sorry, I think I misread your intent pretty wildly there.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Quixzlizx posted:

Why is the thread getting riled up by a 2-day old account making outlandish claims about their credentials?

Stolen valour from those of us with uncles who work at Nintendo.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
On a project like the F-35 there were literally tens of thousands of engineers, with teams of people working on individual parts like a bracket for the landing gear and so on. "I was an engineer on the project" is absolutely the most meaningless poo poo ever.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Quixzlizx posted:

I'll admit, I rarely look at regdates.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ynglaur posted:

I'll admit, I rarely look at regdates.

There's no point. Anyone registering here in tyool 2024 has registered here previously, probably more than once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
F-35 is actually a financial success despite painful development because they made a shitload of them. That's basically a given with modern military stuff --- it's so expensive to design that if you aren't making like a thousand of them it's gonna be way too expensive per unit.

(See also SLS for a civilian example in the other direction)