Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had good experiences with Nutanix support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anybody with good support has good support "for now", until some bean counter decides that agents having utilisation below 70% means they need to lay off hundreds of people.

Cyks posted:

I have free applications that support SAML how in the world does luxerone justify trying to charge 10k for setup and $250/month extra for the feature.

Also luxerone is one of the worst vendors I’ve ever worked with even prior to this quote. Just awful support.

At least you're finding out before you buy it. The setup fee is because you know it's the jankiest implementation you've ever seen and that price has been set to put people off.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pure support has been consistently fantastic for a long time, that’s about the only vendor I can say that about.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

At least you're finding out before you buy it. The setup fee is because you know it's the jankiest implementation you've ever seen and that price has been set to put people off.

Probably getting close to about ten apps in the last seven years that I’ve had to hand-hold a vendor through implementing SSO for the first time. It has gotten a lot easier over the years.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Third c-level I reported to in 1.5 years got fired. Lol.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Cyks posted:

I have free applications that support SAML how in the world does luxerone justify trying to charge 10k for setup and $250/month extra for the feature.

Also luxerone is one of the worst vendors I’ve ever worked with even prior to this quote. Just awful support.

https://sso.tax

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023

teethgrinder posted:

nice

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Thanks Ants posted:

Anybody with good support has good support "for now", until some bean counter decides that agents having utilisation below 70% means they need to lay off hundreds of people.

Most likely. I reached out to support about 4 weeks ago asking if they supported SSO as there’s literally an SSO button on the login portal but they said no. Then a few weeks later they followed up saying actually they do and then it took another two weeks to get the estimate.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I haven't had to use them much but every time I've reached out to PDQ support they've been lightning-fast and easy to talk to

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

devmd01 posted:

Probably getting close to about ten apps in the last seven years that I’ve had to hand-hold a vendor through implementing SSO for the first time. It has gotten a lot easier over the years.

If I paid a fee to have SAML implemented and I was expected to do that I'd be conferencing our sales rep in and explaining how it was going to be free

Cyks posted:

Most likely. I reached out to support about 4 weeks ago asking if they supported SSO as there’s literally an SSO button on the login portal but they said no. Then a few weeks later they followed up saying actually they do and then it took another two weeks to get the estimate.

:lmao: it's already using Auth0 and they're charging 10k to connect it to Entra. SSO users are probably paying their entire directory bill at this point.

https://auth0.com/docs/authenticate/identity-providers/enterprise-identity-providers/azure-active-directory/v2

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 6, 2024

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I remember integrating some ibm product with adfs and not only was it a 5 figure setup we needed to manually rotate the certificate once a year

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Cyks posted:

Man, gently caress SAML Tax, I hate that poo poo. It's a standard that takes like zero time and effort to implement, I don't know why companies think they can get away with charging for it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

my boss doesn't want to SSO because it's a "security risk"

relately i'm really burnt out and been doing the bare minimum because i'm tired of being the only competent person

we're basically a department running RAID-0

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

good job Microsoft

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

tokin opposition posted:

um

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tokin opposition posted:

hell is real

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got one better. The new org that purchased this company doesn't allow sub companies to do SSO in the tenant they're moving us to, so all the apps that we configured with SSO is going back to individual logins.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

SSO owns from a vendor point of view because if you offer it you don't need to do your own authentication. Build integrations with OAuth for Google Workspace and Entra and what else is there to cover? You can charge more if someone wants to use ADFS if you want.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

relately i'm really burnt out and been doing the bare minimum because i'm tired of being the only competent person

we're basically a department running RAID-0

Sounds like you need to polish the ole resume. What a shitshow!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I got one better. The new org that purchased this company doesn't allow sub companies to do SSO in the tenant they're moving us to, so all the apps that we configured with SSO is going back to individual logins.

This kind of crap drives me nuts. I'm actually working on fixing this exact stupidity here.

We own licensing just use Entra and tie things together what is wrong with people!

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

teethgrinder posted:

the firings will continue until number goes up

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I keep wondering if this year will finally be the year where people stop seeing SSO as a new technology, so I keep being disappointed

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

I keep wondering if this year will finally be the year where people stop seeing SSO as a new technology, so I keep being disappointed

Until all of these greybeards who are afraid of change die or retire, no it will never be that year.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Clearly having more login attempts will REDUCE the amount of chances bad actors have to lift your account info!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"if the SSO provider is com--" shut up

"but okta has been br--" gently caress off

unless the SSO risk conversation is taking place between two internal departments with at least a hundred employees each, nobody amongst us is large enough to outperform even the worst major SSO provider, I don't care how hilariously bad the okta vuln was

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We got SSO rolled out a handful of years ago and I want to like it, but it's configured in a way that every new internal website I visit every day requires me to click through the login process again. It's like they figured allowing me to have a single credential was enough and none of the convenience features deserved attention.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

We got SSO rolled out a handful of years ago and I want to like it, but it's configured in a way that every new internal website I visit every day requires me to click through the login process again. It's like they figured allowing me to have a single credential was enough and none of the convenience features deserved attention.

We also have this. It's a result of someone hitting a checkbox because somebody told them to (cybersecurity insurance, whatever) and didn't actually care to make it good

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

xzzy posted:

I feel like I was in your place a little while ago, by any chance did you have something other than Entra / AAD as your core IAM?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

or something other than your core IAM doing the SSO

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's shibboleth in front of entra (still hate that name, gently caress you microsoft) but other than that it's a black box to me, that department is in a completely different tree of the org chart.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Cyks posted:

Lmao, Athena wants $9,000 for an API server that wouldn’t be getting crazy traffic. It’s all grift.

devmd01 posted:

Ran into this with Athena too, they also said that it was configured months before go live and wouldn’t you know they didn’t get it fixed until a month later.

Oh and then they didn’t set the refresh token to update correctly so everyone remote would be disconnected after 30 minutes if they left a window open. For a month. A month in which they tried to blame us for it.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 6, 2024

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What vendors have good support because in my experience everyone either has awful support or is in the process of getting rid of the last vestiges of good support as they move everything to AI chatbots and offshore call centers they train to refer to the first company they hear mentioned

I’m pretty happy with AWS support. Also dealing Elastic support was not bad either (adding new features/bugfixes is a different story, but which vendor does that properly anyways).

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Good support is only good until new management or the company gets bought out

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LochNessMonster posted:

I’m pretty happy with AWS support. Also dealing Elastic support was not bad either (adding new features/bugfixes is a different story, but which vendor does that properly anyways).

Elastic support is pretty good! Cloud provider support has been generally okay at best, with a dishonourable mention going to Azure whose support is utterly useless.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lol just found out via looking at my boss' calendar that we're hiring a consultant for SharePoint now while still not having enough people to do help desk now. gently caress this place it's never getting better

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

klosterdev posted:

Good support is only good until new management or the company gets bought out

lol yeah. Supervisor got promoted to being our manager and we went from maybe once a week where someone’s call wouldn’t get answered immediately to having people be in available be something that happens maybe twice a day in 6 months

Thank god I’m leaving

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

xzzy posted:

The checkbox from MS to reduce sign in things does absolutely loving nothing for us here and its annoying as hell.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Looking forward to the day we pull the trigger on activating device based authentication via Okta's fastpass/Okta Verify thing. We already use it on my team and it definitely speeds things up tremendously. Should even out a lot of the mfa-based complaints.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'm so glad tokin opposition has taken A Frosty Witch's thread role of "my manager's picture is in the Wikipedia entry for malicious incompetence".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tokin opposition posted:

Lol just found out via looking at my boss' calendar that we're hiring a consultant for SharePoint now while still not having enough people to do help desk now. gently caress this place it's never getting better

:sever: