Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Everyone hating on Kristen is baffling to me. She's still a kid, she grew up sheltered in a cult and is suffering from major religious trauma as a result. She has been instrumental in saving the world multiple times now and has gently caress all down time. She just broke up with her first real girlfriend. Anyone expecting her to be the perfect acolyte of any god is expecting a lot even if her goddess is one death away from the astral plane. In fact that would just make it more understandable. If Cassandra wants her to do something maybe she should offer some guidance on what she wants instead of just being needy the whole time and saying she needs more followers. In conclusion, Kristen has done no wrong.

Yeah, Once again, it was not clear at all that Kristen was supposed to help them pass out flyers. It is real silly to blame her for this one in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
brennan has been playing Cassandra like a very whiny club president desperate for membership so i dont think the intention is for kristen to feel especially contrite about not going to the mall to pass out fliers

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah this is a physician heal thyself scenario. need that god to start actively being a god rather than an emotionally overdependent friend

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think you guys might be missing the forest for the trees by litigating whether Cassandra was clear enough to Kristen about the pamphleting thing or whether she's acting appropriately like a Goddess in need of converts to survive. She represents a commitment that Kristen is neglecting, the latest step in a downward trend of toxic interpersonal relationship habits she's developed, and that's what led them to this point more than any one specific act.

If you need an in-universe hook, remember that the second season made clear how Gods are the product of their worship - Cassandra was betrayed by her original followers and sent away from them, she became the nightmare king when that was what the people who found her wanted her to be, and she was completely reshaped in Kristen's image when Kristen decided that radical embrace was the way to get her out of the nightmare king persona. With Kristen as her main imprint and source of identity, how couldn't she end up this way?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The steel workers' mill, while a hilarious bit, serves to underline that Kristen really could be doing more for Cassandra. Yeah it's a lot of responsibility, but it still pales in comparison to that batshit 400% workload thing that Gorgug is doing

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cassandra won't be the first god that Kristen has neglectful homicided because she refuses to engage with the religious part of being a fantasy Cleric. Probably won't be the last either.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dolash posted:

I think you guys might be missing the forest for the trees by litigating whether Cassandra was clear enough to Kristen about the pamphleting thing or whether she's acting appropriately like a Goddess in need of converts to survive. She represents a commitment that Kristen is neglecting, the latest step in a downward trend of toxic interpersonal relationship habits she's developed, and that's what led them to this point more than any one specific act.

If you need an in-universe hook, remember that the second season made clear how Gods are the product of their worship - Cassandra was betrayed by her original followers and sent away from them, she became the nightmare king when that was what the people who found her wanted her to be, and she was completely reshaped in Kristen's image when Kristen decided that radical embrace was the way to get her out of the nightmare king persona. With Kristen as her main imprint and source of identity, how couldn't she end up this way?

sure but brennan is playing her like a codependent. shes behaving like a maniac even if her motivations are legit. so its my suspicion that she has ulterior motives or is secretly a dēoful, or is just a riff on codependent relationships but this one is between a cleric and their god

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
kristens narrative arc this season is “high school relationships end when you graduate” and shes getting an early warning of how not to behave with ayda

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

scary ghost dog posted:

sure but brennan is playing her like a codependent. shes behaving like a maniac even if her motivations are legit. so its my suspicion that she has ulterior motives or is secretly a dēoful, or is just a riff on codependent relationships but this one is between a cleric and their god

She's literally codependent, because if Kristen stops believing in her she dies, and Kristen is sending constant signals that she's losing interest in her the same way she did with her last god, because Kristen has a pattern of making radical commitments and choices then failing to follow through. Narratively, she's a character meant to heighten and draw out that part of Kristen so it can be a focus of her conflict and development. Thematically, it's meant to be recognizable to us as a toxic and codependent relationship. "Just a riff" seems to undersell it, the pre-release interviews with the Intrepid Heroes seemed to suggest exploring this dynamic was something Ally specifically wanted to do this season.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Magitek posted:

The steel workers' mill, while a hilarious bit, serves to underline that Kristen really could be doing more for Cassandra. Yeah it's a lot of responsibility, but it still pales in comparison to that batshit 400% workload thing that Gorgug is doing

This is the one thing that bummed me out. It was such a good opportunity to incorporate both campaign speech and proselytizing. And I'm not sure if it was a character choice to not attempt to do that, or if it was a player "failing" to min/max roleplay.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

from 'wolfcanfly' on reddit

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Dolash posted:

idk i don't recall Kristen committing to building an entire religion until this episode. I genuinely thought after the end of last season that Cassandra is her new goddess that she follows and bc she oversees Silvaire she'll get a bunch of wood elves and the like who were driven out back in the day.

It's all very odd the way its being positioned, I'm down with the overall conflict they're exploring here I just don't particularly think Kristen's to blame for any of it. To butcher a metaphor here you don't get mad at your emergency surgeon for not also running your physical therapy.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
you'd think that livestreaming the birth of a new god would get you something

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I mean there's a bit of a disconnect here. They're 11th level characters. Adaine is probably stronger than the wizards she's selling strudel to. Rizz's extracurricular was saving the world from endless night. Gorgug invented the satellite phone.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

YggiDee posted:

you'd think that livestreaming the birth of a new god would get you something

lol right?

I mean this is all just the retcons and strange curveballs they have to throw out after basically giving everyone a happy ending sophomore year. im not mad at it. I think Fig's weird luck change thing and Gorgug's odd multiclass choices work a bit better in the existing narrative as sources of conflict than the goddess stuff but those are also not as immediate or as compelling.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe6lnxZ9QbI

Big news for fans of Ify and BDG

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Trapp competing?!

Also, this looks great and is probably a good move after 8 seasons.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Trapp posted on Instagram that he's currently on the writing staff for two different cartoons, which explains the step back.

I'd heard in passing he's got a young child, too.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Trapp posted on Instagram that he's currently on the writing staff for two different cartoons, which explains the step back.

I'd heard in passing he's got a young child, too.

good for him, im glad he got onto more shows as a writer

also Bryan David Gilbert as fact checker?

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 6, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

also Bryan David Gilbert as fact checker?

This is the guy who spent a year reading every single Halo tie-in novel for a video

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Megazver posted:

This is the guy who spent a year reading every single Halo tie-in novel for a video

lol im not opposed to it just sort of surprised

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a few offscreen supporters and is being a bit more of a role than Saltzman was.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 7, 2024

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

MikeJF posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a few offscreen supporters and is being a bit more of a role than Saltzman was.

In the trailer there's a quick shot of him striking kung fu poses, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some new bits added to the old format

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Can I point out his wonderful partner Karen Han is a contestant this season too. That probably will be addressed

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Saw a couple of Rooster Teeth people, too, Elise and Charlotte from Funhaus. Looks like there's a lot more theme episodes this season.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I also saw Korndiddy and two Grants

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Some Smosh cast members too.

I suppose after this many seasons it's time to shake it up and this could be good still. Interesting to see Ify as the host, I think if you'd asked me I'd think it'd be the reverse.

Hope to see Trapp in other things though, most underrated of the Dropout crew. Find him hilarious.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

kiminewt posted:

Some Smosh cast members too.

I suppose after this many seasons it's time to shake it up and this could be good still. Interesting to see Ify as the host, I think if you'd asked me I'd think it'd be the reverse.

Hope to see Trapp in other things though, most underrated of the Dropout crew. Find him hilarious.

After Mentopolis i want Trapp in every non IH season of D20. He's so smooth at getting constant character jokes in or setting up jokes for others.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

After Mentopolis i want Trapp in every non IH season of D20. He's so smooth at getting constant character jokes in or setting up jokes for others.

Same but also Sokhbar

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Agreed, and he was so wholesome in Escape from the Bloodkeep.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm only a bit into this newest episode, but it's cool to see how much the intrepid heroes have progressed as players in combat.

You want to jump on the table?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

They've clearly built him his own little nook of the set designed to look like a pedantic nerd's bedroom, as opposed to Saltzman just kind of being there off to one side

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Just watched the last Breaking News and the reaction when Amy said the face is coming out made me laugh for a minute straight. I had to pause it.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

I'm only a bit into this newest episode, but it's cool to see how much the intrepid heroes have progressed as players in combat.

new ep is wilddddddd and yea the combat skills are legit now

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Somberbrero posted:

Love the bookends of Lou looking Brennan in the eye and backflipping onto a table because he could and Ally asking what their strength modifier was.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

4 Dex is the big bad of the season.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I feel in my heart of hearts that (Fantasy High S3E5 spoilers): YES! is some sort of Atropal scion. The description of rotting god meat seems too close to not be true.

edit: okay I watched 5 seconds ahead of where I was and maybe not.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Your avatar needs a plate of shrimp.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

"I'm going to jump onto the table"

*Brennan stare*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

This is my first time watching a D20 season live and also watching the Adventuring Party the day after and man, this is the poo poo