Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Opinions across the Seahawks verse of this head coach hire are so universally positive he can't help but end up being aggressively mediocre.
Unfortunately for MikeMac the roster is also aggressively mediocre so it's going to require some serious coaching wizardry to turn them into a contender any time soon.
I remember a ton of range of opinion and controversy when Pete was hired. This is absolutely nothing like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Pete also had the “hey USC you’re going to be made an example of for doing the thing everyone very obviously does!” scandal

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think the media’s labeling of Mac’s ability as a “Shanahan/McVay killer” is incorrect.

But other than that there’s a lot to be excited about. He does have a history of getting the best of his defensive players, he does creative things with defense, and he seems to have a young growth-oriented mindset with the associated humility.

Players love him, he comes from a successful franchise, and as far as I can tell he’s never been arrested or committed awful personal behavior.

A dude who has never been a coach is obviously a gamble, but it’s way more fun for a fan than settling with a retread… like Quinn.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t think there’s a plausible scenario where Seattle immediately becomes a deep playoff threat over this single offseason. The cap limitations, draft capital limitations, roster age considerations, and talent limitations are just too great.

But I think there are a few plausible scenarios where MacDonald could turn the Hawks into a serious playoff deep threat in 2025. Even if they would still probably be underdogs to the niners.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

coach happy meal

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m lovin’ it

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm optimistic but I can't help but laugh when I see excited Seahawks folks posting the stats of how good the Ravens defense was this season. Like... people understand he doesn't get to bring his defensive players along with him right?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lifespan posted:

I'm optimistic but I can't help but laugh when I see excited Seahawks folks posting the stats of how good the Ravens defense was this season. Like... people understand he doesn't get to bring his defensive players along with him right?

Yeah lol.

No worries this is the year that Jamal Adams turns back into an all-pro!!!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

DancingMachine posted:

Opinions across the Seahawks verse of this head coach hire are so universally positive he can't help but end up being aggressively mediocre.
Unfortunately for MikeMac the roster is also aggressively mediocre so it's going to require some serious coaching wizardry to turn them into a contender any time soon.
I remember a ton of range of opinion and controversy when Pete was hired. This is absolutely nothing like that.

I know it's a good hire because the Seahawks fans in this thread are inventing things to be disappointed in since they can't seem to think of any :v:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

This next year is the year the hawks just need to take their cap.medicine and lay the foundation for 2025 which I think they can be a playoff team. I expect a decent year next year anyway bc 3rd place schedule and the team still won 9 games despite not being very good. Decent being 7-8 wins.

The Williams trade was dumb as poo poo when it happened and looks worse now. Wish we had that 2nd rounder

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah I think next year will probably start pretty ugly. That's how Mac's defenses in Baltimore looked early on as the players learned his system. I'm fascinated to see how much the roster turns over - it'll tell us a lot about how much control Pete had over personnel vs John.

Regardless, I can't see Jamal Adams playing another snap for this team, he's too expensive and cut-able. But it's not like Baltimore was chock full of marquee players. Mac got career years out of guys like Clowney and Madubuike.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

EmbryoSteve posted:

The Williams trade was dumb as poo poo when it happened and looks worse now. Wish we had that 2nd rounder

I can't prove it, but it feels like that trade is part of what got him fired. It was a dumb move, for a good player, but it totally fits his personality. Dude really believed they had a shot to get into the playoffs with a very bad roster this year. That unrelenting positivity is great, but it's irrational as hell. I'm excited to see what the draft and FA looks like without Pete's influence, but I expect next year will be a rough one.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

This next year is the year the hawks just need to take their cap.medicine and lay the foundation for 2025 which I think they can be a playoff team. I expect a decent year next year anyway bc 3rd place schedule and the team still won 9 games despite not being very good. Decent being 7-8 wins.

That trade was so so so bad.

I hope you are right and that the hawks do the right thing in 2024 by pruning the cap issues and taking their medicine.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

shirts and skins posted:

But it's not like Baltimore was chock full of marquee players. Mac got career years out of guys like Clowney and Madubuike.

Their starters are full of first and second round players. Middle LBs were drafted in the first (8th by Chicago and 28th), non-Clowney OLB was a first rounder as well (31st), top corner and safety in the first (14th and 16th), other safety and corner in the second and third (42 and 104).

It's pretty much only their middle D-line that's made up from mid-round picks.

Edit: The only reason they aren't "marquee" is because they're a relatively small market team.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 5, 2024

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Given that my team once stocked the entire upper half of the 2013 draft on its roster, and all of them sucked, I don't think draft position is a particularly good predictor of whether a player is a star :v:

Baltimore definitely has maximized its defensive talent lately, is all I'm saying

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

shirts and skins posted:

Given that my team once stocked the entire upper half of the 2013 draft on its roster, and all of them sucked, I don't think draft position is a particularly good predictor of whether a player is a star :v:

Baltimore definitely has maximized its defensive talent lately, is all I'm saying

No, but it means that Baltimore has put a lot of resources and years into building their defense. Saying they maximized their players' talent is true, but the Ravens are infamously good at drafting, especially defensive players; the starting point was probably pretty drat high.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah I agree with coldforge. Baltimore is a great franchise top to bottom. They also have exquisite positional coaches which helped everything too.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 5, 2024

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah I agree with coldforge. Baltimore is a great franchise top to bottom.

I know one poster in TFF that would vigorously disagree with this

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MakaVillian posted:

I know one poster in TFF that would vigorously disagree with this

hahaha

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://x.com/Ihartitz/status/1754551112915440016?s=20

Establishing the run blocking.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hey I think I caught a few Deebo blocks in there too!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hey I think I caught a few Deebo blocks in there too!

MFers block on this team.

Jennings is easily the most valuable WR3 in NFL history. He blocks, he makes circus catches, often on third down. He's still learning and could easily have a breakout year next season.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Jennings is easily the most valuable WR3 in NFL history. He blocks, he makes circus catches, often on third down. He's still learning and could easily have a breakout year next season.

He's definitely gonna be on a new team next year unfortunately, he's gonna get offered more than SF can afford to pay their wr3

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Most valuable WR3 in NFL history is pushing it but on a team that more frequently ran 3 WR sets I can definitely envision Jennings doing that thing Bobby Engram used to do where he catches like 50 balls for 650 yards and 90 first downs somehow

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Hes a WR2 on most teams yeah

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vox Nihili posted:

Hes a WR2 on most teams yeah

He'd be a star on the Chiefs this year. Lucky for him, he's got miles of film showing him making clutch catches or key blocks on play after play.

He is technically to blame for one of Purdy's picks in the three-game skid, but on the whole he's had a "pay me" season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

mllaneza posted:

He reminds me of hunter renfrow in some respects (renfrow has been criminally underused this past season, it seems jimmy G just can't see him or something). Not a spectacular catcher but knows the game, knows his job, blocks hard, runs precise routes, decently good hands.

e. if we lose Jennings it'd be amazing if we could somehow get Renfrow

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

He's definitely gonna be on a new team next year unfortunately, he's gonna get offered more than SF can afford to pay their wr3

2nd round tender is $4million, the 49ers could probably manage that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Coldforge posted:

2nd round tender is $4million, the 49ers could probably manage that.

Doesn't that just mean they can match any offer he gets if they want? I think he's gonna get a lot more than 4/yr from somebody and they're not gonna match it

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

Doesn't that just mean they can match any offer he gets if they want? I think he's gonna get a lot more than 4/yr from somebody and they're not gonna match it

The team that signs him would also have to cough up their 2nd round pick if the 49ers use that option.

If they don’t want to give him a big contract but do want to protect him from other teams, that’s probably their best option.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/

Yeah 2024 cap looks tight right now (we're taking a $5.5M cap hit for trey lance, gently caress), not actually in the red yet but this is before any contract renegotiations etc. and if guys like Jauan Jennings want to get paid then someone has to go. Mooney ward maybe, he has a $17.9M hit. Or Javon Hargrave at $15M?

e. nope both of those guys would have big dead cap hits if they go, if I understand how that works, which I probably don't.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/cap/

Yeah 2024 cap looks tight right now (we're taking a $5.5M cap hit for trey lance, gently caress), not actually in the red yet but this is before any contract renegotiations etc. and if guys like Jauan Jennings want to get paid then someone has to go. Mooney ward maybe, he has a $17.9M hit. Or Javon Hargrave at $15M?

e. nope both of those guys would have big dead cap hits if they go, if I understand how that works, which I probably don't.

You probably do, but they can just restructure those contracts instead. They were pretty up against it this season before they suddenly discovered that $40mil in cap space between the couch cushions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. There's a bunch of guys down roster with small dead money if we need a handful of mil, so I feel like if it's just Jennings we could manage to keep him without too much difficulty. But it's not gonna be just Jennings.

e. Elijah Mitchell could be a RB1 on another team so I could see him going. He's only getting $1.1M and his dead money is just $45k.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. There's a bunch of guys down roster with small dead money if we need a handful of mil, so I feel like if it's just Jennings we could manage to keep him without too much difficulty. But it's not gonna be just Jennings.

e. Elijah Mitchell could be a RB1 on another team so I could see him going. He's only getting $1.1M and his dead money is just $45k.

These are their UFAs this coming offseason:

They're probably all going to walk, except maybe one or two of the cheaper ones.

Jauan's the only RFA outside of backup guard, Ben Bartch.

They can probably squeeze in Jauan and extend Aiyuk with some creative cap work, if they want to. Hufanga will be returning from injury, so he may not even want to extend his contract until he has a healthy return season to use as leverage.

2025 is when things become an issue:

(Oliver is almost certainly gone after this season, and Armstead and Ward are probably going elsewhere when those contracts expire)

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 6, 2024

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I really don't want to lose ray ray. Having a good returner is very important to me because I'm forever scarred by that 2011 nfccg

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would like to keep ray ray too, and I would like to keep chase young if he could perform a little bit better, I feel like he has it in him to be what we paid for

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Coldforge posted:

These are their UFAs this coming offseason:

They're probably all going to walk, except maybe one or two of the cheaper ones.

Jauan's the only RFA outside of backup guard, Ben Bartch.

They can probably squeeze in Jauan and extend Aiyuk with some creative cap work, if they want to. Hufanga will be returning from injury, so he may not even want to extend his contract until he has a healthy return season to use as leverage.

2025 is when things become an issue:

(Oliver is almost certainly gone after this season, and Armstead and Ward are probably going elsewhere when those contracts expire)

This is all just normal stuff though. Take any team's roster for 2 different years 3 years apart and it will be majority new players. Even 2 years out most teams are majority new players.

https://overthecap.com/roster-turnover-in-the-nfl

There's a reason so few teams are good, or bad, for very long.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Also, Paraag Marathe is really good at his job working with the cap.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Leperflesh posted:

I would like to keep ray ray too, and I would like to keep chase young if he could perform a little bit better, I feel like he has it in him to be what we paid for

Chase Young is literally playing himself out of a big contract. If he can't get sacks and put effort in on an actual Superbowl team he's not going to do it anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

OGS-Remix posted:

Chase Young is literally playing himself out of a big contract. If he can't get sacks and put effort in on an actual Superbowl team he's not going to do it anywhere else.

He still has draft pedigree and upside so he'll get a big contract somewhere, but given his performance since the trade I doubt it will be with the 49ers.