Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm on the last chapter so i dunno what will happen but like, Kiryu, you Daigo, Majima and Saejima make a full 4-man party!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
i can't stop dodonkoing, i gotta clear hte forest then when i'm four stars i can fully segregate north and south into elegant/gently caress that uh green one, and sleazy/pop, really pump all the fringe spots with stuff that collects material and soon all those bastards will spend their whole money every time they walk around and and then i can focus on ichiban's stats more, make him a loving mansion or something god i haven't upgraded the bat in so long kiryu probably is dead of cancer by now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

i can't stop dodonkoing, i gotta clear hte forest then when i'm four stars i can fully segregate north and south into elegant/gently caress that uh green one, and sleazy/pop, really pump all the fringe spots with stuff that collects material and soon all those bastards will spend their whole money every time they walk around and and then i can focus on ichiban's stats more, make him a loving mansion or something god i haven't upgraded the bat in so long kiryu probably is dead of cancer by now

Kiryu would understand a man putting off the plot for sidequests.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i tried switching to the english VA but i only lasted like 20 minutes. i just don't like what they do with all of the voices - nanba is one of the worst culprints. he should sound more like george costanza or i dunno, otacon, than the gravelled cool guy voice they give him. it's like there is no thought put into it at all. the other voices are less egregious but they feel extremely stock and lifeless.

maybe if you hadn't heard the japanese voices it would be okay but every japanese voice is full of personality even if i don't understand the words, you get the tone, and i can read a kind of rough version of what they're saying below which adds up to a much more believeable and funny world.

the only reason i switched, and probably the same reason i tested it in 7, was i was running around the first dungeon and the gang were talking and i found myself having to stop to read which was a bit frustrating. but it's a price i'm willing to pay.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

MorningMoon posted:

Me, pulling up to the beach on my dolphin 6 months later: yo where’s kiryu? …oh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think they're going for "cool" with Nanba at all, his voice is more of a weird grouchiness

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really can't imagine calling the dub performances lifeless outside of the one obvious example. Ichiban alone is fuckin' nailing it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
anyone has an answer for if the jobs permanent stat boosts lvl ups fold over to the character base stats or it's only for the job?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

I don't think they're going for "cool" with Nanba at all, his voice is more of a weird grouchiness

i think his japanese voice definitely reads as weird grouchiness, and maybe it's because it nails that so much better by comparison i have the 'what the gently caress is this' reaction to his english voice

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honest Thief posted:

anyone has an answer for if the jobs permanent stat boosts lvl ups fold over to the character base stats or it's only for the job?

Assuming they didn't change it from 7, the stat boost milestones apply directly to the character.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i switched over to english in chapter 8 and immediately changed it back when i heard the terrible Kiryu, just completely lifeless

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Is there a difference? As I understand it, each job rank permanently buffs stats, whether the job is active or not, making multitaskers slightly better stats than monojobbers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm glad the dub vs sub debate will rage until the end of time across all media.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Assuming they didn't change it from 7, the stat boost milestones apply directly to the character.

Reddit was saying (as of like four days ago) that it didn't seem to be applying those stats permanently like in 7, and thought it might be a bug. I haven't tested if it's fixed or not.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Nanba isn't a cool dude, he's a 40-something weenie and his VA's performance in Y7 especially knocks it out of the park.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah I’ve seen it thrown around that they’re seemingly bugged.

That said you don’t need extra job stat boosts for anything in the base game, it might be more relevant for ng+ hard and legend but you can do everything the first time through and not hit any particularly steep walls with just one levelled job and the starter level skills from the others unlocked for skill inheritance just by switching into them once.

It’s a lot easier than 7, I think.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Good Citizen posted:

Me, pulling up to the beach on my dolphin 6 months later: yo where’s kiryu? …oh

He's fine, he's singing his heart out at karaoke, leave him be

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

FishMcCool posted:

Is there a difference? As I understand it, each job rank permanently buffs stats, whether the job is active or not, making multitaskers slightly better stats than monojobbers.

The stat gains you see on job rank up only apply while that job is active. On each jobs skill list you’ll see levels with stat bonuses those are supposed to carry over even if you switch jobs.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'm loving this game so far. I'm in chapter 6 struggling to progress due ot my desire to become a sujimon master.

I kind of wish I could get my buddies Adachi and Nanba back, but I assume they will rejoin me at some point in the game. I like Chitose a lot but Tomi is kind of whatever.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mom: We have nanba in hawaii

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Gotten to the cabaret club in chapter 8, the one that has a fight in it. Definitely didn't expect the story to go there and excited for the future, but mainly bringing it up because the subs had fun with naming drunk customers, since they are <Unattractive customer> and an <Even more unattractive customer>

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Tomizawa is a Krillin. Does that make sense

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like Tomi. He's kind of a little brother character in comparison to Adachi and Nanba, which gives him a nice distinct role.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Tomizawa is a Krillin. Does that make sense

Nanba is Krillin, Tomizawa is Yamcha

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Lol Saeko stop being tsundere to Ichiban and accept that huge moron into your heart

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Gene Park wrote about Infinite Wealth: A Japanese crime game series wins hearts with kind, heroic masculinity

This made me laugh -

quote:

Since joining the series in “Yakuza 3,” 42-year-old series director Ryosuke Horii has inserted much of his own humanity into the stories. When Horii applied to work for Sega, former RGG Studio director and founder Toshihiro Nagoshi asked to describe what makes him unique. Horii expressed his love for karaoke, to which Nagoshi said, “Everyone loves karaoke.” Desperate, Horii then brought out a binder full of spreadsheets. It turns out Horii had created data sets for every song — around 3,500 — he had ever sung in karaoke.

“It made Nagoshi-san go, ‘Oh wow, you’re a very interesting guy,’ and I was hired,” Horii said through an interpreter, laughing. The song list is now around 8,500 titles, he added. “My goal, in the next few years, is to make that 10,000.”

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

roomtone posted:

i tried switching to the english VA but i only lasted like 20 minutes. i just don't like what they do with all of the voices

Just gonna cut you off there. Either you're being hyperbolic or maybe don't weigh in on dub/sub if you can't handle 20 minutes of a performance.

I will accept tomatoes thrown at me in my jail cell from everyone but you. You haven't earned it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Still kinda weird they dubbed some of the npc/enemy chatter but not all of it, again. Makes the Dondonko guests feel really foreign.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
You must earn the right to say the dub sucks by actively subjecting yourself to it for many more minutes than a mere 20.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Dub for ng and sub for ng+

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Honest Thief posted:

I'm on the last chapter so i dunno what will happen but like, Kiryu, you Daigo, Majima and Saejima make a full 4-man party!

Who wants Daigo, tho ?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm only up to Chapter 6 but there are a handful of characters I've met (mainly at the Orphanage) that they have speak both perfect English and perfect Japanese. Did they get bilingual actors for those roles or are they using a JP VA and and an EN VA for their respective lines? And if it is the latter, why didn't they do that for every character?

I agree with others that there should have been a "hybrid" voice track where Hawaii-based characters used EN VA and Japan-based characters used JP VA.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Just gonna cut you off there. Either you're being hyperbolic or maybe don't weigh in on dub/sub if you can't handle 20 minutes of a performance.

I will accept tomatoes thrown at me in my jail cell from everyone but you. You haven't earned it.

lol absolute freak behaviour

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol absolute freak behaviour

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Shinjobi posted:

Everybody aim for their internet connection.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

My one complaint about the JP voice acting is that Tomi and Bryce sound absolutely ridiculous speaking in English, to the serious detriment to a couple of scenes. I guess it must be really fuckin hard to find VAs fluent in multiple languages

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

double negative posted:

My one complaint about the JP voice acting is that Tomi and Bryce sound absolutely ridiculous speaking in English, to the serious detriment to a couple of scenes. I guess it must be really fuckin hard to find VAs fluent in multiple languages

It makes me lol so it's good.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

you're right, it was probably more like 15 minutes

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Getting to Bryce is such a whiplash lol. Everyone else has a degree of Turn On the English, as an English second language myself it's easy to pick up the little bits in the performances but it's good work all around. Then rolls Bryce.

I would've gone with dub but Kuroda's performance is something I don't want to miss, specially with what may oray not be his send off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cowards, the lot of you