Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

credburn posted:

My phone doesn't charge very fast anymore. It used to be a real whip, like an hour to go from empty to full. Now, when I plug it in at 27% it says it'll take 1.5 hours. But then it says it'll take 2.5 hours. Then it says it'll take 5.5 hours. It's charging barely faster than it's draining at this point. Sometimes it still charges fast, but I can't figure out why. It being on or off doesn't seem to affect it.

Maybe time to replace the battery, if that's possible with your model.

I recently replaced the battery on my Samsung S8, which is otherwise still trooping after all this time. I wouldn't say it was easy to replace, but it wasn't all that hard either. iFixit will probably have a guide or two showing how difficult it might be to replace the battery on your model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

:lmao: that anyone would use a non FOSS software solution for streaming your own media, if it's not made by hobbyist turbonerds it will enahittify, learn to love clunky interfaces and jank

People: I am going to rely on for profit commercial products in a declining economy where nearly every investment loses money, even though slightly less convenient non-commercial alternatives exist

Same people: :qq: how could the vc firm do this to me

"Yeah, that interface bug that makes everything annoying to work with has existed for five years. You can always fix it yourself if it really bothers you; the rest of us just got used to it."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
It's bullshit they stopped making phones with the easily removable battery packs. I get that it allows the phone to be way slimmer and now they don't explode into a bunch of pieces when you drop them. But still! Total bullshit.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It's bullshit they stopped making phones with the easily removable battery packs. I get that it allows the phone to be way slimmer and now they don't explode into a bunch of pieces when you drop them. But still! Total bullshit.

EU working on making it mandatory to be replacable

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Saying FOSS Software is like saying ATM Machine :colbert:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

nothing is safe from enshittification...

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

I once got an official bank communication mentioning my personal PIN number.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I use a lot of free FOSS software like GNU/Linux.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Back in the day in the midwest we called them all Tyme Machines.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

rear end To Mouth Machines

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is a Wisconsin only thing

You probably call water fountains "bubblers" too

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cerekk posted:

This is a Wisconsin only thing

You probably call water fountains "bubblers" too

Great Lakes region.

If you go north of Milwaukee, yeah they might say bubblers. We never did here.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Automated ATM machines.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tunicate posted:

EU working on making it mandatory to be replacable

Not quite, the battery has to meet certain requirements for longevity, or in lieu of that be user-replaceable.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

credburn posted:

Yeah, USB C. And it's connected to the Samsung Fast Charger gizmo. I have three of those, but the same problem on all :\

This is a longshot, but apparently there's a chip in the ends of USB-C cables that regulates the amount of charge that passes through. If one of those chips is shot, you'll get a situation I had with my phone where you plug it in and it says 8.5 hours to charge. I know you said you tried swapping the chargers, but did you also try swapping cables?

Probably you have, but I was really surprised when that fixed the problem for me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pennywise the Frown posted:

We still have buildings with the signage!

ATMs have evolved to PTMs. Personal Teller Machines.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 6, 2024

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Even if I'm not seeing ads, too many websites now have un-removeable/minimizabe banners.

I got real stuck on the new Prince of Persia so looked up where to go next, and this is how little info is actually on the screen at once:

Three. loving. Sentences. It's worth if there's a screenshot because it won't even fit a whole image on my screen:

I know I'm using a small laptop with a high resolution (13" screen, 1920x1080, and at 150% scaling because otherwise it's hard to read text) but even when I switched it back to just 100% scaling, it's not much better, because it's basically two sentences between each screenshot:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Time_pants posted:

This is a longshot, but apparently there's a chip in the ends of USB-C cables that regulates the amount of charge that passes through. If one of those chips is shot, you'll get a situation I had with my phone where you plug it in and it says 8.5 hours to charge. I know you said you tried swapping the chargers, but did you also try swapping cables?

Probably you have, but I was really surprised when that fixed the problem for me.

I did not try swapping cables. I'll give that a shot!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

DrBouvenstein posted:

Even if I'm not seeing ads, too many websites now have un-removeable/minimizabe banners.

I got real stuck on the new Prince of Persia so looked up where to go next, and this is how little info is actually on the screen at once:

Three. loving. Sentences. It's worth if there's a screenshot because it won't even fit a whole image on my screen:

I know I'm using a small laptop with a high resolution (13" screen, 1920x1080, and at 150% scaling because otherwise it's hard to read text) but even when I switched it back to just 100% scaling, it's not much better, because it's basically two sentences between each screenshot:

I use the element picker in ublock to zap those

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

shirunei posted:

can't wait for the post in three years about how your lifetime subscription is no longer valid

Unrelated to this, but a few years back I still had DSL because it was what was available around here. In the very final years of it they were offering some DSL plans that were insanely high for the speed, but had a lower introductory price for the first year.

Except the lowest speed plan.

Something like a 768kbps plan for the low price of $30 a month, locked in at that price for the first 9999 months.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I bought something on amazon yesterday for $250 and I just looked at the same item today and it was now discounted to $200. What the gently caress?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

pencilhands posted:

I bought something on amazon yesterday for $250 and I just looked at the same item today and it was now discounted to $200. What the gently caress?
Never buy anything from Amazon without using camelcamelcamel first.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

credburn posted:

Yeah, USB C. And it's connected to the Samsung Fast Charger gizmo. I have three of those, but the same problem on all :\

C connectors are overly complex for the size and have a lot of pin breakage and soldering issues.

My S8+ has only been able to charge wirelessly for going on 5 years.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MrQwerty posted:

C connectors are overly complex for the size and have a lot of pin breakage and soldering issues.

My S8+ has only been able to charge wirelessly for going on 5 years.

Overall, my experience with USB C is that the ports on the laptops fail WELL before the dock/charging cables do. We had a huge rash of HP Elitebooks where the USB C connector would get so loose the temp, solution while we were waiting for warranty repairs as to place a pack of Post-It notes with about 2/3 the Post-It's removed so it was about 1/3 height, and stick it under the USB connector where it meets the laptop to force it into a good position for the connection to work.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

pencilhands posted:

"an item i bought went on sale... things sure are getting shittier by the day!"

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I liked when laptops had batteries that popped out with a push of a button.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

The first laptop I had, fall of 2000, was an IBM Thinkpad T20. It actually had two batteries. One was the main battery, popped out with a button like they all did back then. But the second was a (much small) internal battery that was designed for the purpose of being able to "hot swap" the main battery. It could keep the laptop on for just a minute or two, but enough you didn't have to power down to swap a battery. And in those days of Win 98 or XP, 5400 RPM spinning disc HDs, it took a while to reboot.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bitterandtwisted posted:

I got a thinkpad t480 in 2018 that has a pop-out battery and thought, "surely they must still make this model or similar." welp,

Lenovo ThinkPad laptops: Online backlash over the removal of external battery options

www.notebookcheck.net - 2019-07-14 posted:

With the 2019 generation of ThinkPad laptops, the PC manufacturer Lenovo has stopped offering any models with external, hot-swappable batteries. Instead, all ThinkPads feature a single internal battery now – a development that is now lamented by fans and a relatively well known Youtuber.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

At least the internal battery in a Thinkpad is easy to get at for replacement when they wear out, unlike every phone on the market right now. With how long batteries last these days and the USB-C standard allowing for high current power banks for extra juice, I can see the logic in removing the extra mechanical complexity. The battery latch was the first thing to fail on my beat to hell T400 from 2008.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I didn't love my t480 when i got it because it seemed a little enshittified due to thunderbolt issues, a firmware problem that halved CPU frequency, a bad motherboard that required a replacement, and a USB C charging port that already required one replacement and is the most likely to fail part currently. only one of two chargeable usb c ports remains. with all the fixes and stuff though, it's a lot better and more reliable than the dell xps I use at work. better keyboard and mousepad too.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

bitterandtwisted posted:

I like that too. My work laptop has one, and the latch doesn't clasp very securely, so when I pick it up to put in my backpack with one hand just right, the laptop goes flying but the battery is safely in hand.

It's a fun little game I like to play. I'm currently up to about 8 feet of accidental whiffening.

It's just a POS Dell but damned if the thing doesn't still work great otherwise.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

So far the only issues I've had with my T480s were the left mouse button wearing down to where it would double click, and each time Lenovo overnighted me an entire keyboard and touchpad assembly. If it's something I can fix on my own with some soldering I have like four spare parts to last me well into the future.

Unfortunately I'm out of warranty and it feels like the USB-C charge port is starting to go, but hopefully that's an easy enough part to replace since Thinkpads lend themselves well to self-repair.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

When did they start making keyboards that don't have a light on the Number Lock and Caps Lock key?

The work computer will seemingly turn if off anytime the computer goes to sleep and I inevitably get my password wrong thinking it is still on, and there is no light to indicate as such.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

"Yeah, that interface bug that makes everything annoying to work with has existed for five years. You can always fix it yourself if it really bothers you; the rest of us just got used to it."

Better than the software deciding to charge me money or "upgrade" itself to serve ads. Convenience is how they get you.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

If commercial software was worth a loving drat, I'd entertain this as a fair complaint. Meanwhile, you *still* can't search your music library in Youtube Music.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If commercial software was worth a loving drat, I'd entertain this as a fair complaint. Meanwhile, you *still* can't search your music library in Youtube Music.

Having never used YouTube music, I will venture the following guess:

They don't want you to search your library, they want you to discover new stuff so they can charge artists more for getting their music in front of people

How close was I?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Same reason that your watchlist isn't always the first option on streaming services. You are intended to consume what The Algorithm feeds you.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i feel like im probably on the wrong side of things but USB-C has been frustrating as a replacement for audio jacks

im definitely glad im not doing these like rap open mics i used to do where guys would just hand me iphones and i'd plug in for their beats. at least a bad 1/8 jack tends to make itself obvious with some fussing around

using a USB-C to 1/8 adapter in my car and it will randomly just stop playing or even worse prompt google assistant while just sitting untouched in the cupholder

there is also like a 10-15db volume reduction that doesn't always seem consistent with devices. idk im a super amateur Audio/Visual tech, but USB-C seems to lend itself to a bunch of a problems that are just not great in the moment

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Cosmik Debris posted:

Having never used YouTube music, I will venture the following guess:

They don't want you to search your library, they want you to discover new stuff so they can charge artists more for getting their music in front of people

How close was I?

That very well could be. The reality is that these services don't seem to have an incentive to actually make their software good for the end user since people have forgotten what user-focused software looks like. Even when it's a service you pay for, the software *still* is antagonistic toward it's user base. So, you're probably right here because the only other option here is that they just don't care, but since we moved from Google Music (which was at least OK) to Youtube Music (which is godawful), I think it's fair to assume you are at least adjacent to the goals of Google here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

20 Blunts posted:

there is also like a 10-15db volume reduction that doesn't always seem consistent with devices. idk im a super amateur Audio/Visual tech, but USB-C seems to lend itself to a bunch of a problems that are just not great in the moment

USB-C audio dongles can vary in having the DAC built in, or by using the DAC of the device it's hooked up to and passing the analog signal through. The Apple USB-C dongle is apparently really good for $10, but for some weird reason when it's connected to Android devices the volume is really muted. It's easy to fix with a config change, but your phone needs to be rooted to do that (which is stupid).