Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

CodfishCartographer posted:

obviously the sport itself hadn't changed since the previous entry in the series, so there was very little to test duirn actual gameplay

If this was EA’s position with their new engine soccer/wrestling games it explains a LOT ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

The original incorrect Japanese was "I decided by card." Well, I/you/she/he/it/something.

Also: https://jisho.org/search/%E7%9D%A1%E9%AD%94

best bale posted:

A sound novel? I’m assuming instead of text like a visual novel you listen to recorded clips?

There's a link two panels back from the translation dictionary about it.
But here's also a video of one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9xDTa1aEoA
Also: https://www.giantbomb.com/sound-novel/3015-9258/
Seems to basically be a text adventure with sound effects. I wonder if something like Slay the Princess would be considered a modern version?

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Tohru is a gentlemen of discerning taste, I see.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

nice

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You can tell he truly is a goon because we'd all choose 69 too.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
nice

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ah, 420 wouldn't be available in such a small establishment...

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
oda joked about planting weed and old-neet immediately ran to find cops and i have no doubt rain coatman would do the same

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
It's done. I first opened this thread in 2019, when Mr. Steak was still translating. I took several long long breaks, taking months off at a time. But I finally caught up. I'm restricted to everyone else's pace.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Neet might owe someone else cash for a monitor soon :ohdear:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Noir89 posted:

Neet might owe someone else cash for a monitor soon :ohdear:

Lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol, that's always the way it goes.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Lol our boy is gonna snap (again) and oops, shoulda been patient and waited for comic’s explanation of sound novel. Regardless, thanks everyone!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mithross posted:

It's done. I first opened this thread in 2019, when Mr. Steak was still translating. I took several long long breaks, taking months off at a time. But I finally caught up. I'm restricted to everyone else's pace.

even that is high speed compared to the live updates

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Didn't we just have this exact conversation?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

i predict this isn't exactly going to be on the level of a shibuya scramble

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Something that's mostly text with some static images and the occasional choice? Can't imagine it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Having seen Gorou's crimes, and filled with righteous NEETish fury, Nii Tohru is the second NEET this week caught setting a place on fire.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Blaze Dragon posted:

Having seen Gorou's crimes, and filled with righteous NEETish fury, Nii Tohru is the second NEET this week caught setting a place on fire.

Gorou and Tohru in prison together arc.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

That net cafe KNOWS

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Oh God they're back

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RuBisCO posted:

Oh Good! they're back!!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

lmao

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

best bale posted:

Lol our boy is gonna snap (again) and oops, shoulda been patient and waited for comic’s explanation of sound novel. Regardless, thanks everyone!

I haven't been reading too far ahead and had the same reaction myself. I completely forgot how much the author assumes at least someone in the audience has never laid eyes on a video game before, which is probably for the best tbh.

dirby posted:

Something that's mostly text with some static images and the occasional choice? Can't imagine it.

A) I stuck up for Buna and became a millionaire
B) I said I doubted Buna to throw the investigation into disarray

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Hang on, is the Sandman the villain in the game or is he just thinking about falling asleep with them?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I think he's saying it sounds boring as gently caress

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Sandman comes to put the protagonist and their love interest to sleep so they can't enjoy their night together

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

someone awful. posted:

I think he's saying it sounds boring as gently caress

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

hyphz posted:

Hang on, is the Sandman the villain in the game or is he just thinking about falling asleep with them?

Im pretty sure he's saying the games are boring snooze fests

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
playtesting a visual novel is probably a lot more boring than the stuff they were doing before, it's literally reading the same story over and over and over and making sure the spelling and grammar are good and that the flags and triggers work right

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I originally thought "sound novel" was a game like this one, designed for blind people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Sound:_Kaze_no_Regret

It even came with braille instructions!

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

End of Page 111

hyphz posted:

He's saying this:

Basically an evil spirit that puts you to sleep. If you search for it, all you find is the comic book and Netflix adaption, so I'm not sure how common this concept is.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
“Suima”? Cool name. Do you know if it’s a Western import like anime shinigami or just a parallel development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

What Hina says here in Japanese is 「うん、それがいいよ。」, "un, sore ga ii yo". That's something like, "Yeah, that is good/fine".

The thing is, I'm not sure whether Hina is saying "That's [a] good [idea]" or "That's okay/alright" in the sense that she's just consoling her sister through a difficult situation. Or maybe it's one of those things that doesn't make a difference in context-sensitive Japanese but it makes all the difference in English.

I decided to go with "It's gonna be alright" because an alternative translation of "sore ga ii" is "that's enough" and if I were in Hina's shoes here I'd be more concerned with consoling my sister than making a point about whether or not she plays video games. But that's just me and maybe I got this one wrong.

Nihongo ga tanoshii! Japanese is fun!

edit: better translation. first attempt in quote below.

quote:

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 9, 2024