Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s been good not great. Definitely better than seasons 2 and 3 but not especially unique or remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'm hesitant to say if its good or bad at this stage - like its all going to depend on how well they pull the ending off.

Yep this is exactly how I feel. I'm fine with the slow burn of a show but it has to have a payoff at the end. I'm a bit nervous at just how supernatural this season is, S1 had a lot of hints and such, and S4 seems to be leaning into the stuff S1 set up, I just hope there's an actual resolution.

The initial murder was fuckin sick though. As in, Hannibal level stuff.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I know Ryan Murphy productions get a lot of poo poo on this site, but Feud S2 has everyone acting their asses off. Holy poo poo, it gets sad though. There's been two episodes and I don't know whether to feel for Capote or feel he got what he deserved.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Found a youtube channel that uploads made for TV movies and has some pretty great ones. The 2001 movie about the shooting of Regan is some kind of special. Richard Dreyfuss as Alexander Haig is amazing and throughout the entire movie literally every political person is portrayed as an incompetent gently caress up, even Bush Senior as some kind of dullard. Every person in a position is trying to grab power and control with both hands and freaking out over everyone else doing the same.

It's kind of crazy to actually see it shown like that, the IRL situation was reportedly almost as bad. There's a point in the movie where the Secret Service and the FBI are about to draw guns on each other because the FBI is holding onto the President's wallet with the "button" keycard that, while dramatized, is pretty close to the truth. There's a scene where everyone is bickering over some detail and then a very low ranking person mentions the solution casually, and turns around to see some of the most powerful people in the world starting at him completely baffled because they didn't know some very basic information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXBZ2oU_Njo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Huh, Comcast is putting Season 1 and 2 of Resident Alien on Netflix on Feb 13th ahead of the Season 3 start. Guess Peacock isn't getting enough eyes for them.

Season 3 will still be exclusive to Peacock for next day streaming after the episode airs on Syfy/USA.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

I'm hesitant to say if its good or bad at this stage - like its all going to depend on how well they pull the ending off.

I've just finished S1 of Loki and into S2, its actually amazing and the most out-there comic cosmic craziness since Legion at its kookiest, except without trying to tie in heavy mental health themes (like what TD is also skirting around)

Ends really well too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1754956421337436256

oh boy

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
There's something bitterly funny that Joel McHale and everyone had to fight tooth and nail for every half season of Community, while this pile of crap is pre-renewed for season 3. Happy for McHale, but lol.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1754973265758761061

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pentyne posted:

Found a youtube channel that uploads made for TV movies and has some pretty great ones. The 2001 movie about the shooting of Regan is some kind of special. Richard Dreyfuss as Alexander Haig is amazing and throughout the entire movie literally every political person is portrayed as an incompetent gently caress up, even Bush Senior as some kind of dullard. Every person in a position is trying to grab power and control with both hands and freaking out over everyone else doing the same.

It's kind of crazy to actually see it shown like that, the IRL situation was reportedly almost as bad. There's a point in the movie where the Secret Service and the FBI are about to draw guns on each other because the FBI is holding onto the President's wallet with the "button" keycard that, while dramatized, is pretty close to the truth. There's a scene where everyone is bickering over some detail and then a very low ranking person mentions the solution casually, and turns around to see some of the most powerful people in the world starting at him completely baffled because they didn't know some very basic information.

Thank you. I love silly poo poo like this.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 6, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mentioning made for TV movies made me think of this alien invasion one that presented as a newscast back when I was young. That channel didn't have it but another Youtube channel did. I am definitely going to watch this tonight. I imagine it's really bad but I remember being enamored with it as a kid and talking to other kids about the next day. We all thought it was amazing. Of course looking at the date I was about a month away from turning 11 so everything was amazing at that age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td3EEyHa6cw

EDIT: Wow, only a couple minutes in and already see John de Lancie, James Morrison, and Philip Baker Hall in this. Character actors everywhere!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

My favorite made for TV historical movie is When Lions Roared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMQcHKiuz0
(Alternate title shown here, which Google tells me it was called in some places? Weird.)

Features some excellent casting, like John Lithgow as FDR, and some serious WTF casting, like Michael Caine as Stalin.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 6, 2024

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was a fantastic HBO original movie about Rasputin that starred Alan Rickman as Rasputin and I don't think you can find that thing anywhere now. I saw it High School several years after it aired as one my teachers had recorded it on VHS. It's not on Max or any streaming as far as I know.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

There was a fantastic HBO original movie about Rasputin that starred Alan Rickman as Rasputin and I don't think you can find that thing anywhere now. I saw it High School several years after it aired as one my teachers had recorded it on VHS. It's not on Max or any streaming as far as I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_gmWd6DkX0

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nice! I can't imagine it'll be in better quality anywhere else. I don't think I've ever even seen this in widescreen!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

X-O posted:

Nice! I can't imagine it'll be in better quality anywhere else. I don't think I've ever even seen this in widescreen!

It's crazy how much stuff is on Youtube that probably shouldn't be but no one has complained yet. It's my first search when looking for old stuff.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Medullah posted:

It's crazy how much stuff is on Youtube that probably shouldn't be but no one has complained yet. It's my first search when looking for old stuff.

Yeah, sufficiently old stuff, especially TV movies that aren't available to buy anywhere, are usually on YouTube because whoever owns the copyright doesn't care enough to have it pulled. And some people involved at some level are probably happy their work is available to be watched at all.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Trick question: has there ever been an alt history tv series? It doesn’t even need to be good. Some shows dip in and out of the topic, like Sliders, and I guess Fringe and Counterpart come close.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Plot Against America

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mokotow posted:

Trick question: has there ever been an alt history tv series? It doesn’t even need to be good. Some shows dip in and out of the topic, like Sliders, and I guess Fringe and Counterpart come close.

The Man in the High Castle
For All Mankind
The Plot Against America

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wish the MacGyver tv movies had better quality. Even the blu ray set has them in like 480p.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

X-O posted:

I read the book, but didn't the show go into it actually being an alternate timeline? Like, I watched the first episode, and it ended with them watching a film of the Americans winning the war. And I heard it got more into stuff like that after that. That kinda turned me off the show, for some reason. Not in a "But the book didn't do that!" way, more in a, "I'm not here for a multiverse story" way. I just wanted an alt history show.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mokotow posted:

The Man in the High Castle?

Edit: never mind there were more posts already

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

X-O posted:

For All Mankind
The Plot Against America

FFS I just watched For All Mankind :v:
The Man in the High Castle is a good one
…the last one I have not heard about!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I read the book, but didn't the show go into it actually being an alternate timeline? Like, I watched the first episode, and it ended with them watching a film of the Americans winning the war. And I heard it got more into stuff like that after that. That kinda turned me off the show, for some reason. Not in a "But the book didn't do that!" way, more in a, "I'm not here for a multiverse story" way. I just wanted an alt history show.

Yeah, it was more of a multiverse story in the end and one reality spilling into the other. It certainly went places, compared to the book.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Speaking ofnalt historyz did that poorly concieved show about the Confederacy winning the Civil War by the GOT ever get anywhere?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

swickles posted:

Speaking ofnalt historyz did that poorly concieved show about the Confederacy winning the Civil War by the GOT ever get anywhere?

It got into an early grave luckily.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Finished episode 5 of Death and Other Details, and I guess they now have a mandatory quota on number of midriffs shown at any given time. Also, Deep Blue is the big bad. Sure, why not?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

pentyne posted:

I've been watching this, and drat, you're right. The Secretary of Defense accidentally raises the DEFCON level, because he doesn't know what that means. The Director of the CIA can barely speak and is mostly deaf. This movie is about a bunch of morons suddenly thrown into a crisis where they have to run the country. It's like Death of Stalin, but not a comedy. And it all happened. It's amazing.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 7, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Americans did a great “the day Reagan got shot” episode. The Jennings though Al Haig was seizing power.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, I was sitting there thinking, there are a dearth of streaming services. Someone should recitfy that.

https://www.engadget.com/espn-fox-a...56.html?src=rss

quote:

Three of the biggest sports TV companies in the US — ESPN, Fox, and Warner Bros. Discovery — will launch a streaming sports service in the fall of 2024, the companies said in a joint statement on Tuesday. It will stream sporting events from networks that all three companies own, including games from the NFL, MLB, NHL, and the NBA. Importantly, subscribers will also be able to stream linear channels, including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SECN, ACCN, ESPNEWS, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2, BTN, TNT, TBS, truTV, and ESPN+, helpful for anyone thinking about canceling cable.

Though, if this finally de-couples sports expenditure from everything else, I'm all for it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Hello, I am the person who just recently watched it and got a new appreciation for it because it leans into the "traveller" aspect so early. They clearly wanted to tell a story about that, and the trade minister visiting a world with his son, it was very moving.

Gosh, it was such a fun show, with so many people in who were absolutely monsters.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm watching the new Hulu Lonely Island movie Self Reliance and it just seems weird. Like, I'm trying to figure out the best way to describe it and I really can't. It just is paced odd and the script seems like it needed another pass.

Good concept though

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, went back to watch an older episode of Solar Opposites after the Valentine's Day special and Dan Stevens has owned the role so hard that old Korvo just sounds weird now.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so, uhh, i watched plenty of the first three seasons of house way long ago, loved it. now, i finally decided to watch the whole thing.

the survivor thing in s4 is...definitely a leap, but it fits the character and is fun. and the rest of the season is pretty drat good. s5 is great too.

but then season 6 loving happens and, like, what the hell is going on here? i'm only through like the first 5 episodes, but how did they get away with house spending ONLY 2 episodes in the psychiatric hospital? that could've been a season itself! that intro with 'no surprises' is such a perfect build up and you just think things are about to dark and intense. that would've been awesome. yet, they crammed him beating vicodin, curing a kid, a love interest, him almost killing a patient, a fight with his 'supervisor', and more in 90min.

WHAT.

then chase killing the dictator? that's, by far, the most unbelievable thing so far in the show. foreman's also acting a bit off from the rest of his character.

did the entire writing team change? i thought it might be the writer's strike, but that happened before s5, and, like i said, s5 was good.

bizarre.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Lol, went back to watch an older episode of Solar Opposites after the Valentine's Day special and Dan Stevens has owned the role so hard that old Korvo just sounds weird now.

Haha I had the same thought when it autoplayed an old episode after the special and I kept wondering who it was till I clicked back over to the tab and remembered old korvo voice. His old version just sounds like generic r&m background voice or something.

Medullah posted:

I'm watching the new Hulu Lonely Island movie Self Reliance and it just seems weird. Like, I'm trying to figure out the best way to describe it and I really can't. It just is paced odd and the script seems like it needed another pass.

Good concept though

I enjoyed it, it had some funny gags and I liked the concept. I do know what you mean though, I put it on because I liked what's his face from New Girl and didn't realize it was Lonely Island at first. You can definitely tell but there was something a little more melancholic than I would've expected if I knew it was their production going in.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 7, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol from that carano suit

https://twitter.com/clapifyoulikeme/status/1755036083371348150

Well thanks for making me like him even more.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, I didn't think I could like Pedro Pascal more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pedro Pascal is trying to hide his hate (for shitlords).

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
She's such a stunningly bad actress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Besides the ones mentioned, the BBC did a miniseries adaptation of SS-GB a few years ago, though I haven’t seen it.

Also the Watchmen show is technically alternate history.