Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

zoux posted:

I don't think there's a single fan who doesn't secretly think his team is dogshit frauds lol

I happily believe in my teams and allow the hope to crush me later as it’s supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If I remember correctly wasn't it reported that Albies had taken money from some group that loans prospects money in advance who then get a significant cut of their first MLB contract signing? So the deal was even worse financially for Albies. The risk for Atlanta was pocket change, for Acuna it's way higher.

Just a bunch of people taking advantage of a guy who made it really obvious he wanted to play in Atlanta with his pal Acuna.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Intruder posted:

I think the pen being nails in the playoffs made us forget just how bad it was last year

Josh Sborz in the playoffs was lights out. Look at how he did in the regular season, look at the complete lack of control he had on drat near every relief appearance. I cannot stress enough how badly I felt like I was taking crazy pills. It still makes no goddamn sense. The numbers lied, believe nothing but the baseball gods and that they love you or hate you

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I happily believe in my teams and allow the hope to crush me later as it’s supposed to.

That's why you have to think they're dogshit :eng101:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That’s the cowards way.

You wanna live as a sports fan? Try believing this is the Knicks year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

If I remember correctly wasn't it reported that Albies had taken money from some group that loans prospects money in advance who then get a significant cut of their first MLB contract signing? So the deal was even worse financially for Albies. The risk for Atlanta was pocket change, for Acuna it's way higher.

Just a bunch of people taking advantage of a guy who made it really obvious he wanted to play in Atlanta with his pal Acuna.

Yeah I vaguely remember this too, he took some really dodgy loans out from groups that were preying on minor leaguers with "we'll loan you actual money right now with no immediately required payments or interest, but you owe us some insane percentage of all future MLB earnings."

I really hope MiLB unionizing and the improvements to the minor league player pay/housing situations has minimized players feeling the need to use this kind of thing, at least somewhat.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

bawfuls posted:

The Dodgers are real and good and there is nothing fraudulent about them. :colbert:

Just their most recent championship

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Yeah I vaguely remember this too, he took some really dodgy loans out from groups that were preying on minor leaguers with "we'll loan you actual money right now with no immediately required payments or interest, but you owe us some insane percentage of all future MLB earnings."

I really hope MiLB unionizing and the improvements to the minor league player pay/housing situations has minimized players feeling the need to use this kind of thing, at least somewhat.
I suspect in many cases a lot of pressure to get money immediately comes from a feeling of obligation towards their family, at least as much as personal needs to survive in the minors.

If you represent a ticket to financial stability for your entire family, you likely feel desperate to secure that as soon as possible and not risk losing out on it completely.

In that context, the minor league housing and increased pay is not going to move the needle much.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bravesword posted:

Just their most recent championship
the Braves blowing a 3-1 NLCS lead was quite real, my friend

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Exactly as real as the Dodgers losing to a team 18 games worse than them in a stadium that actually had people watching a year later, yes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They're chirpin out there, Rick

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Making a joke about the team with the racist name and racist chant exploiting the structural racism of the league to save money: a personal attack on the posters who like that team, how dare you sir!

Calling the 2020 WS fraudulent cause your team didn't win it: all's fair in love and posting!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

the Braves blowing a 3-1 NLCS lead was quite real, my friend

That's not even the best 3-1 lead blown in recent memory.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Shinjobi posted:

Josh Sborz in the playoffs was lights out. Look at how he did in the regular season, look at the complete lack of control he had on drat near every relief appearance. I cannot stress enough how badly I felt like I was taking crazy pills. It still makes no goddamn sense. The numbers lied, believe nothing but the baseball gods and that they love you or hate you

He had about a month there in the middle of the season before he got IL'd where he was lights out too. He's got killer stuff if he can harness it.

Also, a full season of Evan Carter and possibly Wyatt Langford in place of fuckall in left and a dash of Garver at DH might mean the offense is even better this year.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

bawfuls posted:

Making a joke about the team with the racist name and racist chant exploiting the structural racism of the league to save money: a personal attack on the posters who like that team, how dare you sir!

Calling the 2020 WS fraudulent cause your team didn't win it: all's fair in love and posting!

are you implying the latter is a more serious accusation

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

That's not even the best 3-1 lead blown in recent memory.
it was the best to me, and that's what counts

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Monicro posted:

are you implying the latter is a more serious accusation
If people are going to cry foul about the former (a specific critique of how the team is run, something no fan has any control over) they shouldn't engage in the latter (a lazy twitter-level troll that no one here takes seriously).

But hey, if we want to get into a Very Serious conversation about which recent championships are "fraudulent" then by all means...

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Michael harris also signed a below market contract but folks don’t seem to talk about him and his contract the way folks do with acuna and albies and I wonder what’s different about them that makes this conversation uneasy whenever it gets brought up

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

Michael harris also signed a below market contract but folks don’t seem to talk about him and his contract the way folks do with acuna and albies and I wonder what’s different about them that makes this conversation uneasy whenever it gets brought up
I talked about him in that conversation and touched on it in my post on it. His under-market deal is part of the same structural racism in the MLB system.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I know less about the Michael Harris contract but 8/72 is a lot more than Albies insanely low 7/35 so obviously Albies gets more attention. Not saying Harris contract isn't an issue it's just that Albies contract is so incredibly bad it really stands out.

Harris is also just at the beginning of his career so it's less obvious in hindsight how much he's being underpaid, were as Albies has been one of the best 2b in baseball for years now so it looks even worse.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

bawfuls posted:

There was certainly nothing at all unusual about the 2020 season or playoff format whatsoever that might cast doubt over any results it generated, no sir, purely a fandom pissing contest

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

oh hell yeah lets double down on this one!

I get that you're still mad I made a joke about your racist team doing a racism, but again you don't have to defend it or take it personally. Do you also get mad when people here talk poo poo about the Chop?

You could attack the actually reprehensible things the Dodgers have done, like crimes.xls or signing Trevor Bauer or exploiting Kenta Maeda's medical history to sign a team-friendly deal and then manipulating his usage to prevent him from hitting contract bonuses, but you don't because I guess you already know I'm not stupid/stubborn enough to defend those things?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 6, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

bawfuls posted:

Do you also get mad when people here talk poo poo about the Chop?

I don't know about bravesword personally, I've never seen it from them, but there are definitely some people who get more aggressive about doing the chop just to show us or whatever whenever it's criticized

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

And those people deserve to get mocked for it. I don't think I see that much around here though. Maybe HOTLANTA MAN used to do it? I forget.

anyway lets make some more jokes about recent "fraudulent" championships, except for 2017 we can't talk about that cause that conversation is tiresome, so just the Dodgers, that one's fair game!

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Jesus Christ baseball can’t come quickly enough

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Gerblederp posted:

Jesus Christ baseball can’t come quickly enough

:emptyquote:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

don't have to worry about waiting until baseball to see people doing the chop, it'll happen this sunday :v:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah but it’s less noticeable. Just cut to Taylor.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I suspect in many cases a lot of pressure to get money immediately comes from a feeling of obligation towards their family, at least as much as personal needs to survive in the minors.

If you represent a ticket to financial stability for your entire family, you likely feel desperate to secure that as soon as possible and not risk losing out on it completely.

In that context, the minor league housing and increased pay is not going to move the needle much.

Soto has said that turning down Washington's offer has caused problems for him with his family.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Soto has said that turning down Washington's offer has caused problems for him with his family.
I had not heard that but this is an excellent example of the dynamic at play here.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

bravesword posted:

There was certainly nothing at all unusual about the 2020 season or playoff format whatsoever that might cast doubt over any results it generated, no sir, purely a fandom pissing contest

This is apropos of nothing, but at work I usually browse with avatars off so I interpreted your username as "braves word" which caused me to interpret this entire discussion really differently.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

STAC Goat posted:

That’s the cowards way.

You wanna live as a sports fan? Try believing this is the Knicks year.

looks at wall of "my sacramento kings memories" :hmmyes:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/jeffpassan/status/1755011945067889061?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

This is great news, five more years guaranteed of Altuve not being on a team I like

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hell yeah. Now do bregman

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bregor posted:

https://x.com/Reds/status/1754958249357394319?s=20

Cincinnati Reds stop signing infielders challenge [IMPOSSIBLE]

Josh Harrison is awesome and I'm glad he's going to continue to get paid to play baseball even though he's old and bad at it now.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Hell yeah. Now do bregman

Nah Tucker

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Nah Tucker

He's probably gone after being nickel and dimed in arb

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

They must have a lot of faith in Diaz not having a sophomore slump, Abreu having a bounceback year, Altuve and Yordan staying healthy, Lance managing to pitch a couple months without getting hurt, Framber and Javier not being broken, etc

I think this is the Rangers division to lose personally

Theoretically they win most games where they're up after six so I guess that's a big boost but with the way Neris pitched last year that was already true

I'm bullish on the Astros this year because if any of the things listed go right, that will be an improvement over last season, where they still pulled out 90 wins. If Yainer slumps, that's the same production as Maldy. Jose Abreu looked better at the end of the season. A good chunk of Altuve's missed time last year was bad luck on a HBP. Framber will likely be helped by a full off season instead of going from the WS to the WBC with very little down time. Javier could go the same way, but I'm less optimistic about a guy whose secret weapon is a fastball down the middle that hitters "can't see."

There are also going to be some less sexy important things like Chas/Dubon maintaining their production, Julks becoming serviceable to take some outfield stress off Yordan, the early BP guys being decent enough to not have to overuse the killer back-end.

It'll be a fight with the Rangers for sure, but I'm pretty confident in the Astros getting back to the playoffs where they can do their thing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I mean yeah who's arguing against that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Acuna's deal pays him 55 million before he would have been a free agent (arbitration years end in 2024)

After that he has 4 more seasons at 68million total

Total deal for that is 123 million.

Fernando Tatis Jr's deal pays him 31 million before arbitration ends.

His next 4 seasons pay him 90 million.

Total deal to that point is 121 million.

I'd like anyone who brought up Acuma in terms of Tatia to respond to this!