Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I haven’t been hourly in ages, not because I’m in some sort of high level career, just because all my public sector jobs are typically salary. It would feel so strange to be hourly because I regularly spend days waiting on emails or approvals to continue my work on projects and do a lot of off-hours work. I would potentially make a lot more money if I was getting regular pay 9-5 and then overtime because someone finally emailed me at 4:45PM and I was working OT from 7-9PM, which is what I do a lot of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im salary and get paid ot at 1.5x for hours above 40/wk

idk how i wrangled this but it owns

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

blatman posted:

It varies by state, everyone salaried should know their local labor code and who is or is not exempt.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

blatman posted:

That is pretty common outside of the US. My work pays salary and 1.5x for hours above 40h. They do outsourced work for a unionised company that pays base salary and 2x for hours above 36h/wk.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

blatman posted:

See if I could get arrangement I would be happy to move to salary!

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Got CC'd on an email exchange earlier today from my outsourcing asset who wanted to introduce a new person to the main supplier on this program. I had recommended this guy for an open position last week and had an inkling that something was happening when I saw the email. I kept him on after our usual afternoon tag up to see what the deal was and sure enough he has an interview tomorrow for that role he was told to apply for. I spent around an hour telling him what to expect, who the people on the meeting invite were and giving him permission to sign off early to prepare for the interview. Then I spent an hour telling his interviewers how great he is.

This isn't really a "dumb poo poo your work does" post, I guess. I'm excited that I'm helping progress someone else's career. I realized after we hung up that this is like the fifth time in five years I've either onboarded or helped promote someone in this company. There are managers multiple levels above me who wish they could pull this number of people to the next level or get people hired from outside orgs. Sadly, my actual expertise may be in recruiting, which most of us correctly view as a less than honorable position these days.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I had a fun short notice almost but not quite all hands departmental meeting today. The invite said to not forward the meeting invite, which I figured wasn’t a great sign. Turns out it was notice to all the full time employees in the Project Management department that almost all the contract employees were going to be given notice that they were going to be let go by the end of the month (the wording was odd, but that’s the gist, they way stay paid until end of Feb).

This was while also mentioning that Distribution Projects budgets got hit hard, but Transmission budgets didn’t get hit quite so hard, so they are also going to be shuffling people around internal to the department at some point as well.

Finally, for the kicker, the directors said the rate case refilling in March is definitely going to go the companies way, and budgets will be back to normal next year. Just like how the company was totally sure the rate case was going to be all sunshine and flowers back in December, up until it wasn’t.

At least I got my bonus and raise information for the year today. Bonus (which hits last years budget) was actually good, raise was in line with what the company has historically given, so kinda not so good. Also, I spent the day getting some credential refresher training at my old department. Hearing the people who still work there try to convince me to come back (because they are short-handed) was also a bit of a morale boost.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im clearly on some sort of dark recruiter list because the House of Saud reached out to me about a job.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Barudak posted:

Im clearly on some sort of dark recruiter list because the House of Saud reached out to me about a job.

Honestly speaking is this morally worse or better than what you are currently doing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

Honestly speaking is this morally worse or better than what you are currently doing?

<looks at my lawyer making the no face> I uh cannot recall

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ Big oof

The House of Saud has such a big payroll that there are plenty of articles online. The second article here is :eyepop:
https://www.findcelebrityjobs.com/saudi-royal-family.html
https://www.findcelebrityjobs.com/royal-saudies-gift-shopping.html

The freelancer magic is still strong. Less than 24 hours after I agree to an offer Client B, now Client A asks me for days that conflict directly.

If you're waiting for a package to be delivered, go for a long visit to the bathroom.

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 6, 2024

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barudak posted:

<looks at the eldritch interdimensional sakura tree> I uh cannot recall

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

blatman posted:

There’s salary (exempt (from overtime/lunch break rules)) and salary (non-exempt from those rules).

The way I’ve always described it to my team is that hourly means you’re being paid to spend time doing tasks A, B, C while hourly means you’re being paid to create outputs X, Y, Z no matter how long (or short) it takes.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think the Norwegian rules on this are fairly typical of non-US western countries:

- Hourly workers do not always get overtime, but if you go beyond "normal hours" (10 per 24 hours, 48 per 7 days - but you can average that over 8 weeks) you should still get overtime. There are also upper limits to how much you can work, but they are a complicated set of "no more than x per y or an average of z over æ weeks unless previously agreed upon but even then no more than ...", plus rules requiring uninterrupted rests per day (9h) and week (35h) with limited openings for temporary exceptions.
- Normal salaried workers must be paid at least 40% more than their standard wage for hours beyond those agreed upon - and you can't agree to more than 40 hours/week. Similar limitations on maximum hours and rests etc. There is also some room for flexitime solutions where you stay under a certain number of hours per day/week/month, but can move them around inside those limits.
- Especially independent or leading salaried employees. This is meant to be limited to a small number of people who manage their own schedule and hold company- or department-wide responsibilities, typically CEOs and CFOs and the like. They get their salary, and it's up to them to pick their working hours independent of the law. Not surprisingly there is a fair bit of misuse of this - my sister is a store manager, and her promotion to manager was basically "do the same work for a bit more pay, but all those extra hours are now unpaid". That was probably illegal, but in a borderline way that would take a court case to prove. (There is a checklist of things used to evaluate if this really is this sort of position, and one of the points is "is the salary in line with the claimed responsibilities". Hah, no.)

This is one of the laws that has an official translation to English, so if you want some especially dry reading material, enjoy. The translation somehow manages to be drier than the original, but it's still quite readable. The most relevant part is probably Chapter 10 on Working Hours.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 6, 2024

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sapozhnik posted:

"Hey TehRedWheelbarrow, DUMBSHIT from QA tried to get in touch with you twice in the last two days, are you checking your Teams messages? Please be more responsive in the future"

<passive aggressively sends screenshots of 2 'Hi' messages on Teams with no other information provided>

"Tell DUMBSHIT to learn to use his words"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I usually start with, “Hey, do you have time for a question?” and now I’m worried that’s too close to a drive-by “Hi”. But hitting someone with an out of the blue question in chat feels like a rude interruption.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

wash bucket posted:

I usually start with, “Hey, do you have time for a question?” and now I’m worried that’s too close to a drive-by “Hi”. But hitting someone with an out of the blue question in chat feels like a rude interruption.

It's not, and you could combine the two messages into one to make it clear you aren't pressing them for an immediate response. It's asynchronous communication, so if they're busy they can ignore it until they're not busy anymore.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's not, and you could combine the two messages into one to make it clear you aren't pressing them for an immediate response. It's asynchronous communication, so if they're busy they can ignore it until they're not busy anymore.

its this and god i wish people would do this, i get like 50+ teams messages from random people all over the world every day and i need to triage them as well as meetings calls and emails so if you ping me great but a simple hi? bottom of the pile

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

" hey <person name>, quick question about <topic>: insert question here"

It should be all one message, easy peasy

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Probably one of the scariest thing to me in a career position is how often I see my bosses dismiss someone as unqualified when the issue is that my bosses are dog poo poo at communicating their needs and setting up working systems. It's just waiting for the other shoe to drop for when it'll get to me.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
'He just doesn't 'Get It'' no Karen, you just can't lead to save your life

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
For first message of the day:

If it is someone I haven't talked to before ever:

"Hey, so-and-so pointed me at you for help with $issue. $explanation_of_issue. $details_I_have. $priority_level_of_request. Anything else you need from me?"

If it is someone I have talked to before but not regularly:

"When you can:

$explanation_of_issue. $details_I_have."

If it is someone I talk to regularly:

"$explanation_of_issue. $details_I_have."

I don't know why anyone bothers with anything else. I'm bothering you because I need something, not because I want to know how your day is going or whatever. The faster we get done with this interaction the faster you can go back to whatever it is you would rather be doing than helping me.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I do this poo poo with emails.

I will send my boss an email that consists of:

Subject: filename
Body: auto Signature
Attachment: filename.xls

She spent the first year thinking I was pissed I was being given work. Eventually she figured out I just don't give a poo poo about chatting. All of our emails with each other are just attachments or screenshots/lists with requests for action. It's great.

Now I just need to have my signature be "Hi there! Here's the thing we talked about!" So I don't have to talk to these animals more than I have to.

They sent me a copy paste of a formula and asked me to explain what it means. No context, just the raw If:Then formula.

I heard them talking about it later. They said the explanation felt like an SAT question about a train leaving station A at speed X etc etc.

On the plus side out annual reviews now require us to cite 3 examples of we give ourselves a 1 or a 5 on the scale of how klgood you are.

One of the assessment fields was "Shows GENUINE compassion for coworkers."

Ah gently caress you caught me I'm faking it I guess I'll give myself a 1 and list all the times they were dumb and I was having bad inside thoughts while having nice outside words.

Ravus Ursus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 6, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It’s more real time than email since it tells you when your message was read and when someone is typing a response. At my last job everyone’s pet peeve were the people who read messages and didn’t respond for hours even if it’s just to say, “I’m in the middle of something.”

Unless their status was “busy” of course.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 6, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Everywhere I've ever worked each team had a public channel on slack or whatever where questions were supposed to be asked, and while you could directly message an individual, them answering you was purely a courtesy that they didn't have to provide.

So if you had a good working relationship with someone and reason to ask them directly you could, but for anything like drive-by hellos or crazy complex questions you're totally allowed and expected to just ignore the person who sent it or direct them to the public channel.

It's a pretty nice system imo

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Late last year I got invited to a meeting to discuss a project to renovate an unused courtroom to be an alternate site for our local board meetings as well as being a place for other governmental boards to hold meetings. I walk into the meeting and it's two department heads and the CAO (top-non elected official )for the county. He says that they want to have an identical system that we already have in our main boardroom, just duplicated and expanded since some of the boards are larger (5 people vs. 11) I give my opinion that we should have an outside contractor design the plans since I'm a tv person and this is a custom install. I suggest that they reach out to the company that did the initial install and have them update it.

A couple more meetings later and the contractor comes back with an initial cost for their side of the project, not including what I'm buying to be able to televise meetings from their and it's not cheap. It's a custom Crestron install for those that care, so it's good but you are essentially paying for the name on the equipment. But it's also 11 voting panels, mics, touchscreens, 85 inch monitors, etc. But it is still move that $300k for that side of the project. I get cornered by the CFO and asked where they thought the funding was coming from on this project. I say my equipment is coming from my budget and that I thought that they were going to use some of that funds for the project but as for the rest I have no idea. I hear later that the project is on hold till they figure this out.

The project manager emails me last week and tells me that the price is too high and that I need to identify lower cost items to sub them out. The total cost needs to be brought down by 30-40%. After checking with my boss, I reply saying that they need to work with the contractor since I have no idea on what a suitable replacement would be and that the entire project is out of my scope of knowledge.

The most amusing thing about this whole thing is that this is a disaster site for the board in case this building they are currently in is not feasible. Which makes sense since we are on a floodplain near-ish a large dam that could fail. The disaster site is two blocks away though, so if this building is down the other one is also down as well. Plus I think their intranet links go through this building so no network for you. And to top all this off, the guy who wanted this initially is leaving in a month to go to a different state so I don't think he cares about the project anymore.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Not entirely something my work did but I did once have a coworker chastise me and told me to sell my car to buy a truck instead because "BMW stands for Black Man's Wheels"

Yep. That was openly said in the workplace.

My family still does the Jackie Chan confused face regarding why I left northcentral Wisconsin as soon as I was legally able to. Well, let me just tell you about the types of people I had to interact with daily, there...

edit: My M3 was sick as hell and gently caress that racist piece of poo poo.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 6, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
So this morning I realized that eNPS hurts my morale.

I actually spend most of my day ignoring how much I hate work and being prompted to think about why I hate it just makes me depressed. I’m sending these straight to trash from now on.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Goondolences. I am trying to wrap a Crestron install myself and the punch list keeps getting longer as the installers break things trying to finish other things on the punch list. It’s great once it’s working but god it’s expensive and annoying to get there. Sounds like you have the right idea to put as much distance between you and the project as possible.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I'm glad we all share the same sentiment for Crestron

edit:

Catastrophe posted:

edit: My M3 was sick as hell and gently caress that racist piece of poo poo.

I'd kill a man to get my hands on a good E-series

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Freaquency posted:

Goondolences. I am trying to wrap a Crestron install myself and the punch list keeps getting longer as the installers break things trying to finish other things on the punch list. It’s great once it’s working but god it’s expensive and annoying to get there. Sounds like you have the right idea to put as much distance between you and the project as possible.

I'm ok with crestron, the contractor we work with is usually pretty good on working with us. When a POE switch died they told me that they could get a Creston switch, but we'd be paying for the name and that a normal one would work just as good.

On the other hand, the guy that designed our system screwed us over hard. Granted this was eight years ago, but he had them install 4:3 resistive touchscreen monitors. Even crestron asked if that was correct since they were EOL at that point.

Between this new project and the studio we built two years ago to support our newscast that gets 400 views a week on YouTube, we just keep making bad decisions.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I'd kill a man to get my hands on a good E-series

The differences in prejudice is interesting there, here BMWs are famous for being driven by absolute loving dickheads. But still when I had my 3 series it was good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just presented a huge year long plan and got met with "we no longer believe selling things is our core objective" so I have to replan to sell less things and demonstrate Im not hiding any efficiencies in the plan.

I am now doing extra work to prove Im going to do less work.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 7, 2024

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Aramoro posted:

The differences in prejudice is interesting there, here BMWs are famous for being driven by absolute loving dickheads. But still when I had my 3 series it was good.

Makes you think.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Aramoro posted:

:thunk:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Barudak posted:

I just presented a huge year long plan and got met with "we no longer believe selling things is our core objective" so I have to replan to sell less things and demonstrate Im not hiding any efficiencies in the plan.

I am now doing extra work to prove Im going to do less work.

Are you hiring? I'm very good at not selling

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ephex posted:

Makes you think.

Wrong! BMW drivers never think.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Are you hiring? I'm very good at not selling

We're full and Im trying to exit and then rotate everyone under me as I bail

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

How long is your statute of limitations NDA? Because if you do quit, I look forward to maybe slightly more detail on whatever it is you do not sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I don't think you can break the oath to your patriarch that easily.