Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

To make up for lost time, the appeals court is expediting it back to the trial court per CNN unless the Supreme Court wants to get involved. Trump's lawyers also don't like their chances if it's elevated.

Yeah this was all a pretty transparent bullshit delaying strategy. They'll appeal to the supreme court to stop the clock again because going for an en banc review won't stop the clock. That will go to Roberts, then who knows.

Donnie's arguments were so lovely and backwards that the Supreme Court could dumpster it pretty quick, or 4/6 chuds decide to take it up and stop the clock even further. Seems like the opinion is written in a way tailor-made for the supreme court to dump it - zero close calls or new doctrine in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bird food bathtub posted:

Apparently Toby Keith kicked the bucket. Oh no. Anyway.

Kris Kristofferson still alive. Nice

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That Works posted:

Kris Kristofferson still alive. Nice

The old Chief hasn't run out of things to say.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The first, most low-key, and least sexy thing I'm gonna argue for is sheer, basic competence. Now obviously this is a pretty low bar! But it really is an important fact that Biden has, for the most part, staffed his administration with competent and dedicated individuals, with relatively low turnover and little drama. The government is a huge, sprawling organism that touches all our lives in different ways, with tremendous capacity for both good and bad — and when it breaks down, the consequences can be catastrophic for those who rely on it. So the government simply working is a huge boon to many, and has to be acknowledged.

This point is really important and one of my personal depression gravity wells is thinking about the fact that when things work the effort it takes to make that happen gets overlooked and people cheerfully vote to gently caress it all up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There's not really much reason for the SCOTUS to accept cert on this, and I could see them denying any request from Trump outright. No supreme court, no matter how partisan, is going to give the president unchecked criminal immunity. They would never cede their own power to that extent.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's not really much reason for the SCOTUS to accept cert on this, and I could see them denying any request from Trump outright. No supreme court, no matter how partisan, is going to give the president unchecked criminal immunity. They would never cede their own power to that extent.

I think better lawyers could've put together enough plausible stuff to get SC cert, but I don't really see a cert grant here either. Like how donnie's arguments on "double jeopardy principles" are just made-up poo poo. And the opinion is apparently written specifically for consumption by originalist chucklefucks.

Probably still gets Thomas. Don't see it getting four, even for them to delay things and later go "lol no this is dumb" like the appeals court did. SC probably wanted to see if the Appeals opinion was solid, which it is, before denying it.

Also:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1754912981668806742?t=5-GREwHONAbu1uXxchx_bw&s=19

more or less describes the situation!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Notahippie posted:

This point is really important and one of my personal depression gravity wells is thinking about the fact that when things work the effort it takes to make that happen gets overlooked and people cheerfully vote to gently caress it all up.

I just remembered all the poo poo the feds did to fix baby formula shortage fuckups and monkeypox from 2022-2023.

Edit: zero suspicious things related to the Texas company that did the AI Biden poo poo for New Hampshire:

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1754921412752556039?t=_j77kCYnwQ4ROmjLUqFlUg&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 6, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In other Trump news, justice Engoron just sent a letter to lawyers in the case re: a NY times article that he is negotiating a plea deal which would include him pleading guilty to lying to Engoron.

The defense attorneys have until five pm tomorrow to cover their own asses about how much they knew about what and when.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I always read it as Judge Energon at first and now I just roll with it and choose to visualize all of these spicy orders issuing from a glowing Cybertronian bank vault

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

shame on an IGA posted:

I always read it as Judge Energon at first and now I just roll with it and choose to visualize all of these spicy orders issuing from a glowing Cybertronian bank vault

I thought I was alone with this

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I read it as Judge Erdogan and was preparing a lengthy screed about Turkish interference in American politics.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

In other Trump news, justice Engoron just sent a letter to lawyers in the case re: a NY times article that he is negotiating a plea deal which would include him pleading guilty to lying to Engoron.

The defense attorneys have until five pm tomorrow to cover their own asses about how much they knew about what and when.

That sounds like the kind of document that could get very spicy based on dates and times and would make someone very nervous to submit to a court.

Cool, couldn't happen to a better pack of assholes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If I got that e-mail with that tone from my boss, let alone a judge that actually has enforcement power, I would be puckering so hard. All that's missing is "choose your next words carefully".

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shame on an IGA posted:

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If I got that e-mail with that tone from my boss, let alone a judge that actually has enforcement power, I would be puckering so hard. All that's missing is "choose your next words carefully".

I would personally not choose to lie to and/or suborn perjury during testimony to a judge that can levy a $375m fine and dissolve my main business.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is this for Trump or Weisselberg?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

From the wording of your question, yes. Serious answer, this is against Trump.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Weisselberg is a co-defendant in the NY civil fraud case as he was the Trump org CFO, their designated fall guy, and has been paid well by Trump since getting fired. He is pleading guilty to lying to Engoron and others according to a NY times article. He testified on trump's behalf at trial. This is a letter to his lawyer, trump's lawyers, and the company's lawyers saying "yo, about that perjury your client is pleading to, how much of that did you know about in advance REMINDER I can and will sanction you personally" and to the AG's office to say "tell me just how bad I can gently caress them up for this."

Engoron is going to throw out all of Weisselberg's testimony and draw a negative inference about Trump's entire case as a result.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 6, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Engoron was probably going to gently caress the trump org on the merits already, but having a codefendant perjure himself enough to have to cut a deal is probably one of those appellate-proof dream events for a trial judge. Perjury isn't charged much, much less convicted / pleaded out.

Donnie's dipshits seemed to be performing for the client and/or conceding the trial to maybe try and get it overturned on appeal. But uh... this would complicate that strategy :v:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Uh, looks like the Boeing assembly line forgot some things with all those doors.

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1754948876383973864?t=w7zRIhZi3mWZI-ZbblsTkA&s=19

Airport maintenance crews: hey we can't tighten what ain't there

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

If Engoron had already ruled and then afterwards Weisselberg had admitted to perjury, would there have been a new trial? How would that work?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ardlen posted:

If Engoron had already ruled and then afterwards Weisselberg had admitted to perjury, would there have been a new trial? How would that work?

Given the lengths Trump and his lovely lawyers have go to in order to throw mistrials and undermine the legal system to protect themselves, I almost wanna bet they are leaking poo poo to undermine Weisselberg's testimony so they can go "OH LOOK he lied, case closed dismiss all charge" like they have in their attempt to undermine the Georgia RICO case with the divorce claims and then the one they just pulled against Judge Kaplan.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

shame on an IGA posted:

I read it as Justice Angron and had high hopes for warp court. edit: warp court with angron would be far more straightforward and fair than what we currently have

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

I read it as Justice Angron and had high hopes for warp court. edit: warp court with angron would be far more straightforward and fair than what we currently have

justice is blind, and so are skulls for the skull throne

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

facialimpediment posted:

Uh, looks like the Boeing assembly line forgot some things with all those doors.

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1754948876383973864?t=w7zRIhZi3mWZI-ZbblsTkA&s=19

That certainly tracks with that reddit post that claimed it was driven by the multiple work tracking systems

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

I just remembered all the poo poo the feds did to fix baby formula shortage fuckups and monkeypox from 2022-2023.

These were really not proud points.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

So how long until a flight attendant does a "hey does anyone know where these bolts go?" gag like Carnies sometimes do before launching those slingshot bungee rides?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

justice is blind, and so are skulls for the skull throne

"the defendent was guilty but granted khorne's blessing after they murdered their accuser, the prosecutors, the jury, the gallery, their own defense..."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

maffew buildings posted:

"the defendent was guilty but granted khorne's blessing after they murdered their accuser, the prosecutors, the jury, the gallery, their own defense..."

Not really seeing a downside tbh

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah it's a system that FINALLY makes sense

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

pygmy tyrant posted:

That certainly tracks with that reddit post that claimed it was driven by the multiple work tracking systems

Yes it certainly does—and I can’t find that post anymore. Do you have that saved by chance?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrMojok posted:

Yes it certainly does—and I can’t find that post anymore. Do you have that saved by chance?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050864&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=30#post537394206

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheFluff posted:

The NTSB preliminary report on Alaska 1282 is out (although the server is very hard to reach at the moment). As expected they conclude that the retaining bolts were not installed. They have also been digging through manufacturing records and found there's photo evidence of the door plug lacking its retaining bolts:

The reason for removing the plug is stated to be damaged rivets, which is consistent with what the whistleblower posted a few weeks ago.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Isn’t that just a trial by combat

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

lmao the Boeing copyright on that photo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
may be gone in a bit, but something very funny happened on the house floor:

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1755013731833024950

https://twitter.com/haleytalbotcnn/status/1755013905099665783

edit: yep it did

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1755014807617454566

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gonna hire a guy with a gravelly voice to call out this vote for the primary.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
https://x.com/TheKeithiest/status/1754851426482692138?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I remember when houses of Congress used to be able to pass messaging bills to show the voice of where their chamber is politically. Right now, the voice of both chambers is basically saying hshejdvsjbdjsb

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1755017365819974024?t=xvVFjWZxSQSuyduucZEotQ&s=19

Edit: what in the

https://twitter.com/JonathanTamari/status/1755015880650440899?t=rP00Boosf9KRqGcEquNJUg&s=19

https://twitter.com/JacobRubashkin/status/1755016649994863060?t=RIHcVipfFcTkPm7j_6qagA&s=19

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

pygmy tyrant posted:

...it certainly tracks with what I know about Boeing's antiquated QA procedures in the early 90s. The system worked more than well enough based on WWII era procedures, but inevitably it had to be brought into the 21st Century. Those bolts were missing likely because of a software glitch that nobody caught...my guess is that no one was assigned to re-install the bolts after a partial disassembly for a non related problem. IMO Boeing was better off when they built the entire airplane in one location with one highly trained and well supervised work force. It's as if they took a 5 Star restaurant and broke it into two cafeterias located half a continent apart supplemented by a dozen curbside pop-ups, with the intention of still being able to produce the expensive high quality dining experience. What could possibly go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ob21 posted:

...it certainly tracks with what I know about Boeing's antiquated QA procedures in the early 90s. The system worked more than well enough based on WWII era procedures, but inevitably it had to be brought into the 21st Century. Those bolts were missing likely because of a software glitch that nobody caught...my guess is that no one was assigned to re-install the bolts after a partial disassembly for a non related problem. IMO Boeing was better off when they built the entire airplane in one location with one highly trained and well supervised work force. It's as if they took a 5 Star restaurant and broke it into two cafeterias located half a continent apart supplemented by a dozen curbside pop-ups, with the intention of still being able to produce the expensive high quality dining experience. What could possibly go wrong?

But the shareholders!