Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

concerning lack of love for the lepidopterists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fun Fact: because of Venture Bros 'Lepidopterist' is the first word I ever used in Scribblenauts.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Did he collect stamps?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

Did he collect stamps?

then we’d be philatelists

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That episode is really fun. I think the whole dynamic is just so unique, between Doe and Cardholder, Brock and JJ. They know JJ isn't stupid, and not someone they can push around easily, but they need to explain things to him in a fashion he understands. (and of course, the agents have ulterior motives, and want to push him into a particular response, without tipping off Brock) Of course as well as 21, 24, and poor Scott Hall.

Just realised that Scott and Jonas Jr basically play the same kind of role in that episode, from different ends of the dynamic.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

If that laser were a woman, I’d marry it.

And I’d jeopardize our friendship by banging your hot wife.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I like the cut of this guy’s jib

I like the cut of his hair

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Now it's just pathos!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've decided Fat Chance/Choice is named Kevin Nash so him and Scott Hall can be Guild Outsiders together.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You... wanna see my stamp collection?

Only if we were philatelists. Which we're not. Dick.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i like how Brock geeks out when he sees the death ray. he would know old school quality when he sees it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

uber_stoat posted:

i like how Brock geeks out when he sees the death ray. he would know old school quality when he sees it.

Freakin’ gorgeous is one of the many vbros quotes I throw out too much for my own good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Of all the insanely quotable quotes flowing out of the genius of Venture Bros, the one that I always randomly come back to in my own head is actually a latter season one:

NOBODY REFUSES DAVE GROHL!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Its also a great scene to show Brock's humility too. When JJ calls him out for being jealous he does admit he kinda is. Brock may be the epitome of cool and badassness, but he is still human and willing to admit when he feels non-cool and non-badass emotions.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
scuba

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

limp_cheese posted:

Its also a great scene to show Brock's humility too. When JJ calls him out for being jealous he does admit he kinda is. Brock may be the epitome of cool and badassness, but he is still human and willing to admit when he feels non-cool and non-badass emotions.

It is the ultimate sign of being a badass: being so self-assured you don't need to prove yourself to anybody.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heh, also makes sense considering he's spent over a decade working for Rusty; seeing super-science superweapons actually being taken care of and put to good use is likely a breath of fresh air. Then again, he's quite fond of violence in many forms.

The conversation at the summit where he's devastated to hear that James Bond movies used a BB gun prop is also fun.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Okay but what's your Sophie's Choice

I thought about it all day and I've concluded what I already knew:

Victor. Echo. November.

It has literally all of it. Doc being a weirdo perv meow. Brock as a relentless killing machine. The boys being perfectly themselves. The Bat. Orpheus being a sitcom dad that's bad at it. The Monarch being way too in to COSTUMED BUSINESS. Lore poo poo with Phantom Limb. Semi obscure references like Limb trying to sell the art from the Gardner heist (and being completely right about the entirely overrated Mona Lisa). The real world colliding with the OSI-Guild world

It is the perfect episode and ends with what I consider the most useful line to quote in the whole enchilada:

"Excellent question, I have no idea,"

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The only downside is you'll be creating more demand to see Kim's villain career.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

pnumoman posted:

My take on Doc's perception of the boys is that Doc sees Dean as the innocent and curious boy genius Doc thought he was supposed to be when he was a boy adventurer, while he sees Hank as the normal boy Doc wanted to be when he was a kid.

Agreed on this. I can't remember where this episode falls in the timeline and Doc's perception of his sons is very out of date by that point (especially if it's after Dean gets all pissed off and emo) but it is fairly spot on with their earlier characterizations, with Dean being legitimately afraid of all the super villain stuff while Hank calls BS on it more often than not. Likewise Hank being more openly confrontational with his dad while Dean is more obedient maybe strikes Doc as something he wished he'd done more with his own dad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Warbird posted:

Let’s try this: If you could have Doc and Jackson go back and retcon one thing about the series, what would it be?
Vatred's pedophelia is a great answer and one I'd go back and forth on with mine determining which would be more important.

Detransitioning Hunter is not okay. Like, I can put up with the weird bits of her being trans on rewatches because

A.) It was the early 2000s and nobody outside of queer circles even knew what a trans person was, much less how they weren't the same thing as crossdressers or drag performers, and

B.) Brock refused to kill her because in terms of "no women, no children," she counted. Brock considered her to be a woman from the moment he found out, even if he would've done it if she still had her dick. Their hearts were clearly mostly in the right place, and that one fact alone puts them well above where just about everyone was on the matter at the time.

But detransitioning her and literally never properly explaining why that even had to happen isn't something I can forgive. People already think we're really men. Any media that treats it any other way is committing malpractice. But in this case, that's particularly galling because they had already gotten it right. The very first time she was introduced, YEARS earlier!

pnumoman posted:

My take on Doc's perception of the boys is that Doc sees Dean as the innocent and curious boy genius Doc thought he was supposed to be when he was a boy adventurer, while he sees Hank as the normal boy Doc wanted to be when he was a kid.
I have several competing reads on Doc's view of the boys, but the one I'm currently sporting is that he relates to Dean more because Dean is a mess and Hank is well-adjusted.

So he both feels like Hank doesn't need him and resents him for not being irreparably damaged psychologically by all this superscience boy adventurer stuff. But that scene posted above really throws me because it doesn't fit any read I ever had, or ever will have, on why Doc treats Hank the way he does. It doesn't make much sense, given everything else.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jollyrancher82, never get henchmen.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

VEN might also be my fave but Return to Spider-Skull Island is also a contender.

"You think this is gay, huh? Is that what you said, you scrawny piece of poo poo? Oh, this isn’t gay! But King Gorilla over there is, and I’ll bet he can’t wait to break off a piece of your dick in his rear end! "

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Jollyrancher82, never get henchmen.

I just thought you were into cosplay and stuff.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Sash! posted:

Semi obscure references like Limb trying to sell the art from the Gardner heist (and being completely right about the entirely overrated Mona Lisa)

The gag of him fruitlessly gesturing about the size still cracks me up way too much

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Brock's fishing over the death rat was fun, but all it is is a car guy's reaction to seeing a meticulously restored classic muscle car, except it's a death ray. I've heard car guys go through substantially similar exchanges at local classic car shows while appreciating a shiny GTO.

And, that's what I like about it. There are death ray enthusiasts in this world. I bet there are guys with half-finished death ray projects in their garages, just waiting on hard-to-get parts and/or more motivation so they can finish them and take them out on the weekends.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sash! posted:

I thought about it all day and I've concluded what I already knew:

Victor. Echo. November.

It has literally all of it. Doc being a weirdo perv meow. Brock as a relentless killing machine. The boys being perfectly themselves. The Bat. Orpheus being a sitcom dad that's bad at it. The Monarch being way too in to COSTUMED BUSINESS. Lore poo poo with Phantom Limb. Semi obscure references like Limb trying to sell the art from the Gardner heist (and being completely right about the entirely overrated Mona Lisa). The real world colliding with the OSI-Guild world

It is the perfect episode and ends with what I consider the most useful line to quote in the whole enchilada:

"Excellent question, I have no idea,"

I always will forever laugh my rear end off at

Why are you naked?

To pray on their fear.

I will also point out that "Excellent question, I have no idea." is a perfect case of them realizing plotholes are good. They could have answered it there, but instead they didn't and we got the amazing episode where they explained it later. I absolutely love their writing style and wish more people would do the same.

That is an amazing episode too. Brock going from stall to stall in the bathroom is another amazing moment. "Nice rear end Samson."

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I loved card sharks!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just thought you were into cosplay and stuff.

I am into costume business, not costume play.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Tears of a Sea Cow is a favorite of mine. The "now I believe you're Hank's friend" conversation kills me. And "it's like Blair Witch-o-vision" pops into my head every time I see night vision in anything.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Could you sing a Technotronic song?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Sigh, pump up the jam,

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

Sigh, pump up the jam,
Sigh.

Baby let me show yo—

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat in my head I thought brock started pump up the jam before being told not that one

How could he not know pump up the jam

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

He probably knows it but "Move This" was the (maybe) dying guy's last mention.

So you think they had Patrick Warburton do much more of the song and just cut it during the editing process?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

He probably knows it but "Move This" was the (maybe) dying guy's last mention.

So you think they had Patrick Warburton do much more of the song and just cut it during the editing process?

Oh man, i hope they got him to do the whole thing. And Doc went home and remixed bored Brock singing to the music.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I have several competing reads on Doc's view of the boys, but the one I'm currently sporting is that he relates to Dean more because Dean is a mess and Hank is well-adjusted.

So he both feels like Hank doesn't need him and resents him for not being irreparably damaged psychologically by all this superscience boy adventurer stuff. But that scene posted above really throws me because it doesn't fit any read I ever had, or ever will have, on why Doc treats Hank the way he does. It doesn't make much sense, given everything else.

I think his treatment of Hank can be at odds with how he sees Hank and their relationship, that's just normal parent/child stuff. For one thing Hank does talk back more and gives him way more grief than the super obedient and high achieving Dean, so being stern with him is often not out of line. It could also simply be that he wants Hank to ultimately strike out on his own and being harsh with him is Doc's way of pushing him away a bit, understanding that if he goes and gets his own job and relationships and life he will be happier and more fulfilled.

In addition to what I and pnumoman said above, I think the kidnapped speech indicates that Rusty sees that Dean could essentially be a better version of himself, the "real" Rusty Venture as it were. So he encourages him to go into the super science stuff based on an outdated view of him, because he thinks he could truly be the best Doctor Venture surpassing himself and Jonas, not realizing that Dean had already gone through an existential crisis due to the clone stuff and general hosed-up-ness of his life.

(a lot of what I am saying above applies as much/more to the end-of-series characterization of the boys, but I think bridges their early personalities, Doc's speech, and how they all end up by the finale)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If I could change one thing about the show I'd go back in time and somehow give them infinite money to license whatever music they wanted. Or just have them release a secret rifftrax style edit with the different songs.

Also yeah the Hatred pedo angle aged badly, in that it was terrible once they took it past that first throwaway joke and just got worse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

qirex posted:

If I could change one thing about the show I'd go back in time and somehow give them infinite money to license whatever music they wanted. Or just have them release a secret rifftrax style edit with the different songs.
Good answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tarlibone posted:

Brock's fishing over the death rat was fun, but all it is is a car guy's reaction to seeing a meticulously restored classic muscle car, except it's a death ray. I've heard car guys go through substantially similar exchanges at local classic car shows while appreciating a shiny GTO.

And, that's what I like about it. There are death ray enthusiasts in this world. I bet there are guys with half-finished death ray projects in their garages, just waiting on hard-to-get parts and/or more motivation so they can finish them and take them out on the weekends.

I may have said before but Brock absolutely is stoked to see a functioning well taken care of classic death ray because Rusty probably has like half a dozen of them rusting on the compound forgotten about.

Guy A. Person posted:

I think his treatment of Hank can be at odds with how he sees Hank and their relationship, that's just normal parent/child stuff. For one thing Hank does talk back more and gives him way more grief than the super obedient and high achieving Dean, so being stern with him is often not out of line. It could also simply be that he wants Hank to ultimately strike out on his own and being harsh with him is Doc's way of pushing him away a bit, understanding that if he goes and gets his own job and relationships and life he will be happier and more fulfilled.

In addition to what I and pnumoman said above, I think the kidnapped speech indicates that Rusty sees that Dean could essentially be a better version of himself, the "real" Rusty Venture as it were. So he encourages him to go into the super science stuff based on an outdated view of him, because he thinks he could truly be the best Doctor Venture surpassing himself and Jonas, not realizing that Dean had already gone through an existential crisis due to the clone stuff and general hosed-up-ness of his life.

(a lot of what I am saying above applies as much/more to the end-of-series characterization of the boys, but I think bridges their early personalities, Doc's speech, and how they all end up by the finale)

A key part of this is, remember, Rusty has a pretty terminally skewed sense of what the 'real' world is like, and despite his attempts at being a cynical, pragmatic opportunist, he ultimately is stuck thinking in Boy Adventurer logic, and the dead dreams of the Jet Age. Like you said, he sees Dean as basically a do-over of his own life, and encourages him, but doesn't understand why Dean acts and thinks that way, that he's actively trying to escape the boy adventurer bullshit and give normalcy a shot. And Hank is the rebellious one who talks out of turn and doesn't follow the script Rusty has in mind- but Rusty doesn't realise that's him actually being adventurous, wanting to participate and contribute rather than being dragged along.

Where you can square the circle here is, once again, Jonas Venture Sr's atrocious excuse for parenting. Like a lot of narcissist parents, he is very 'do as I say, not as I do', having demands and expectations of Rusty without actually giving him anywhere near the support he needs to fulfil them, and refusing to bother recognising the accomplishments and interests Rusty does have even when they're what he wants, because that would require paying attention when he doesn't feel like it. Doc as a result has genuinely no idea what healthy communication, realistic expectations and perception looks like, because it sure as gently caress wasn't ever a feature in his life.

Also still lol that Hank on his runaway trip is still using the giant novelty cheques to pay for things. I can picture Rusty putting up with that, because he admires the audacity of it, and it also makes him easy to track.