Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because I want to get the jokes everyone makes

And I like pickle brine, it's just I can only do a little at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Just so I know, which episode/which show is this? I'm trying to make my way through HB but it's slow and laborious going, I try to absorb eeeeeverything about a show and it's like drinking pickle brine

Fourth episode of HH. But, like I said, I'd rather not talk about the whole thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neeksy posted:

Again this might be an issue of sensibilities, but my own tactic given a similar uncertain circumstance about full season orders would NOT be to speed-run an extremely intricate story precisely because trying to figure out proper pacing or knowing when you're going to have to pull the trigger on an ending is even more difficult in that production environment. Like, decide what kind of show you're going to be and not pin high ambitions onto a company that isn't sure what they want to even do with you.

Plus if you want to have "haha this character is getting dragged off for sex they don't want" jokes, it's really tough tonal whiplash to then ask us to care about the same subject matter for a big character moment in the same episode let alone moments apart.

My guess is she announces a how many seasons later this year since the show did well and bought her time. Also i think she is gonna wrap up a bunch of stuff nex season and keep going with storylines she wants to explore. Also part of the pacing issues are a mix of her liking to make shows that can be binged quick and also the sword of Damocles that is animated series on streaming.

On other news indie animation team east patch has a Kickstarter for angel hare merch. Angel hare is a weirdly wholesome analog horrorish series they made. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theeastpatch/angel-hare-plushies?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=Angel%20hare
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDf4D84f4DIR_KAN3Sc7T76zbDtsbEV67&si=Vn2Lzrl-0YXyAM0y

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 1, 2024

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Is this red levels thing actually scientifically-proven and that would potentially present to viewers for most screens and with typical viewing times? I don't have anything to say it's not, it just sounds like it could be a "truism" passed down as gospel, but ultimately poorly-sourced to a single, small sample size study from decades ago using long obsolete tech.

It's a thing in surgery, which is why surgeons wear green scrubs, to give their eyeballs a rest in between staring at bright-red blood and innards. https://www.boardvitals.com/blog/why-scrubs-usually-blue-green/

I dunno about the eye strain a cartoon show is capable of putting out, but I personally get a real bleah feeling from the aesthetics of constantly monotone scenes. But that's more of a preference thing. Cinematically it's very common, many modern movies like to make sure there's only ever one color at a time, two if you're trying to be flashy.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It was very much a thing with even 10 minutes of virtual boy use

I also remember websites with blue on red or red on blue and you could see the after image for several seconds.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Is this red levels thing actually scientifically-proven and that would potentially present to viewers for most screens and with typical viewing times? I don't have anything to say it's not, it just sounds like it could be a "truism" passed down as gospel, but ultimately poorly-sourced to a single, small sample size study from decades ago using long obsolete tech.

Play Far Cry Blood Dragon and say its not a thing lol.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My guess is she announces a how many seasons later this year since the show did well and bought her time. Also i think she is gonna wrap up a bunch of stuff nex season and keep going with storylines she wants to explore. Also part of the pacing issues are a mix of her liking to make shows that can be binged quick and also the sword of Damocles that is animated series on streaming.
Sure, those can possibly be the reasons, but regardless of justification outside of what is presented by the show itself, it has these pacing and tonal whiplash issues.

I do wonder whether broadcast safe color is just not applied in the same way for streaming, which might explain why the amount of sustained red hasn't become an issue.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Neeksy posted:

Sure, those can possibly be the reasons, but regardless of justification outside of what is presented by the show itself, it has these pacing and tonal whiplash issues.

I do wonder whether broadcast safe color is just not applied in the same way for streaming, which might explain why the amount of sustained red hasn't become an issue.

i mean i think they wrapped up season 1 alright and set up what they are doing for 2.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ah, February first. The day of the biggest event in animation for the year.

Clone High Season 3 baybeee. I realize this may come as a shock as it has not, in fact, been 20 goddamn years since the last one.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I hope this season understand the satirical premise of the show this time?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yes, Skudsworth is there and scudworth-ing all over. Don't you worry.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Do... do they flip that bitch?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Neeksy posted:

I hope this season understand the satirical premise of the show this time?

I didn't love episodes 1 or 2. Seems about on level with the last season.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Do... do they flip that bitch?

Not yet! And there was even a pool-centric episode!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Solar Opposites Valentine's Day special comes out tonight/tomorrow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Solar Opposites Valentine's Day special comes out tonight/tomorrow.

So the special was a lot of fun but I would probably rank it third behind the Christmas and Halloween episodes. Dan Stevens still remains the MVP of saying ridiculous poo poo.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

just made its goal of $1,000,000 with a few days to go.

That only gets it to 'Feature-length animatic' though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

just made its goal of $1,000,000 with a few days to go.

That only gets it to 'Feature-length animatic' though.

Well yeah, they are definitely going to need some outside funding, but I think this might be the most successful animation kickstarter ever, which is almost certainly going to generate some interest.

mystes
May 31, 2006

feature length animatic seems like a weird goal to go for but it would be interesting to see if that can create an enough interest to get someone to pick it up to fully animate it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So the special was a lot of fun but I would probably rank it third behind the Christmas and Halloween episodes. Dan Stevens still remains the MVP of saying ridiculous poo poo.

I do appreciate that it fully committed to making the gay romantic subtext between Korvo and Terry text. They're 100% officially in love and they're husbands. Good for them.

Dan Stevens is such a huge improvement I kind of wish they would go back and redub the earlier seasons, that dude really knows how to voice act.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Dan Stevens is such a huge improvement I kind of wish they would go back and redub the earlier seasons, that dude really knows how to voice act.

Ha, I had the same thought rewatching the Halloween special today.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

It’s funny when I first heard Dan Stevens as Korvo and thought “what the gently caress” but after one season that’s the only way I can ever imagine him. It’s true that the voice change went back in time and changed even my memories.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

On whim I bought the entirety of China IL on digital which feels like the proper way to come into that show. The difference between the first and second season is as noticeable as a bank explosion because the 11 minutes per episode in season 1 made everything move a lot quicker– the lack of room to breath. The compressed plot contributes to the sense of surrealism. Then season 2 comes along and makes everything 22 minutes per episode. I still like the show, in fact I like it more, but there was something unique about that first season but keep in mind I usually don't watch Adult Swim stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

DoubleCakes posted:

On whim I bought the entirety of China IL on digital which feels like the proper way to come into that show. The difference between the first and second season is as noticeable as a bank explosion because the 11 minutes per episode in season 1 made everything move a lot quicker– the lack of room to breath. The compressed plot contributes to the sense of surrealism. Then season 2 comes along and makes everything 22 minutes per episode. I still like the show, in fact I like it more, but there was something unique about that first season but keep in mind I usually don't watch Adult Swim stuff.

It's a real bummer that Brad Neely's Harg Nallin Sclopio Peepio is kind of straight up bad and unfunny, dude deserved to have five more seasons of China IL

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

China, IL... starring Academy Award nominated director Greta Gerwig.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DoubleCakes posted:

If you need the prototype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbRom1Rz8OA

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
He'll kick you apart!

He'll kick you apart!!

OOO!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Neely peaked at the absolute start, but if he’s doing presidents he’s spitting fire.

“Lady’s choice, Peanut”

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I totally forgot about China IL, I should go watch it. I loved the youtube stuff.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

I never really could get into China IL compared to his YouTube stuff. I feel like adding proper animation and giving the characters pupils took away from the weird stream-of-consciousness style of humor I enjoyed in the original shorts. That’s probably a just-me thing, though.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Warbird posted:

Neely peaked at the absolute start, but if he’s doing presidents he’s spitting fire.

“Lady’s choice, Peanut”

"Wizard People, Dear Reader" is still amazing and now the only Harry Potter related media I will willingly consume.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I watched China, IL during a time after I quit a really terrible job and decided to recuperate by getting baked for a month straight. Cannot remember a goddamn thing about the show but I had so much fun watching it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Finally working my way through Gravity Falls. I really love the particular flavor of world-weary observational sarcasm the writing has, the "I'm just gonna ignore that" kind of vibe coming from the voices of reason; it's not mean and it's not trite, it's just the right balance that complements the premise nicely. Also I can't but appreciate just how much Twin Peaks gets shaken in like so much Mrs. Dash, episode after episode

It's funny to see all the stunt VA work from one-off and newly introduced supporting characters, like Weird Al as the D&D wizard, or JK Simmons as Ford (not to mention Gregg Turkington). Lol that Justin Roiland just has that one Lemongrab voice that he uses everywhere huh. Speaking of though, I enjoyed how this show seems to want to tell almost the same exact story as Adventure Time in some ways, and even Owl House, what with the Simon/Old Man McGucket/Belos arc they all seem to want to follow. It's like there's a standard pattern of what a "lore show" for tweens is, and they all find their own unique ways to render it with their own voice and style. If Owl House is "Gravity Falls for girls", but ultimately they end up feeling so similar and coequal in quality, it's interesting to see how through the last ten years' worth of these shows finding their footing they've all kind of blended into each other in a way that helps to stir the boundaries of what the "proper" audience is for each one. Maybe the era of "boys' shows" and "girls' shows" really is over, and it wasn't MLP that did it after all but everything that capitalized on what MLP made possible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crain posted:

"Wizard People, Dear Reader" is still amazing and now the only Harry Potter related media I will willingly consume.

FYI Brad Neely just put out a book where he gave the Wizard People treatment to the life of Ulysses S Grant and the audiobook version of it is in the Wizard People voice.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

MokBa posted:

I watched China, IL during a time after I quit a really terrible job and decided to recuperate by getting baked for a month straight. Cannot remember a goddamn thing about the show but I had so much fun watching it.

So, I'm not the only one who quit an awful job and just spent every day I didn't have a job interview taking 10mg THC edibles?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
It's probably a stretch to put this in an animation for adults thread, but I watched the original Teen Titans as a preteen and loved it. Hadn't ever looked into Teen Titans Go, but when I saw this morning that they did a crossover movie with the original show, I thought it was a good opportunity for some Saturday morning cartoons.

And... it was! Really fun and funny movie. I remember begrudging the existence of Go when it had started, but I get the appeal now. They'd already done a solid show for tweens, and this seems like an even better show for kids a bit younger than that (and their parents). The nostalgia was certainly helping carry me through this a bit, but nevertheless, good stuff.

My only real complaint was that it felt like the animation for the original characters was kind of rough. I haven't watched that show in 15+ years so I'm not certain on that, but they just seemed off compared to what I remember.

Incidentally, I watched Blazing Saddles for the first time a few nights ago, and I actually laughed more at this than that. Unexpected!

Also, this is a movie but I watched Son of the White Mare last night and constantly vacillated between "holy poo poo it's beautiful" and "this looks like garbage" the whole time, although by the end I would say it was 80% the former and 20% the latter.

It's been a weird week y'all

fake edit: I also rewatched Paprika in theaters on Thursday night

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

surf rock posted:

fake edit: I also rewatched Paprika in theaters on Thursday night

That rules.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

FYI Brad Neely just put out a book where he gave the Wizard People treatment to the life of Ulysses S Grant and the audiobook version of it is in the Wizard People voice.

Oh my lord, thank you for telling me this.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Im listening to the audiobook of this right now and its incredible. The way Brad Neely uses language is like no one else. It's hard to really put into words what it is this book does, it's sort of a farcical take on Grant's life but because of the subject matter there's a real hardness about the book, it's almost poetry and there's real moral outrage behind the words when it comes to the topics that warrant it, like slavery or America's invasion of Mexico for a land grab. Neely is notably fascinated by and suspicious of historical accounts, it's something he's talked about before in interviews back when China, IL was airing, and this is a way for him to both indulge in and satirize history without every having to worry about being "objective."

I was able to find a text preview of the book and this sort of sums it up:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just listened to that exact snippet earlier and “uses” might not be the proper verb for what that man is doing to the language. I’m honestly not in love with the voice but it’s growing on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/lsupersonicq/status/1759287817165742323?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Weird look into an alternate reality where Boondocks was airing alongside new episodes of Family Guy instead of… after reruns of Family Guy

edit: it’s funny because the Boondocks strip always looked like McGruder learned to draw from reading manga so this is anime influence filtered through the Western style of the time, where the AS show made the correct decision to just make it an anime. Also there’s no way it would have been as good on Fox, they would have cut and run well before they got to the point where Tyler Perry had to threaten legal action and that would have been a shame

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 18, 2024