Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They need to reverse the et ride
Start on his hosed up planet and escape to the woods of earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I love Mummy but Kong was a bigger loss.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CelticPredator posted:

Same. Once we finished up islands of adventure and it was all closing and there was I believe 10 minutes left so I said to the ticket person let me in imma run to the mummy

They let me and I got the very last go. Sat in the front and I swear they sped it up lol. It was kinda scary in the front ngl.

I want someone to tell me if they do speed up the ride if youre one of the last if not the very last ride of the night because goddamn it feels like it lol

This reminds me of the first time we took the little cousins to Disney. They were 7 and 8 at the time, their first visit to Disney or any theme park at all. The very first ride they ever did was Big Thunder Mountain early in the morning and they absolutely loved it. Later that night after fireworks, we asked them if they wanted to do anything else before leaving and they begged to ride it again, so we did.

This time though, it ended in tears and them swearing we tricked them into getting on a different ride because "it was way faster and scarier this time" just because it was dark :lol:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I read that it could’ve been faster due to capacity. Less people = faster ride

I can buy that

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Bottom Liner posted:

This reminds me of the first time we took the little cousins to Disney. They were 7 and 8 at the time, their first visit to Disney or any theme park at all. The very first ride they ever did was Big Thunder Mountain early in the morning and they absolutely loved it. Later that night after fireworks, we asked them if they wanted to do anything else before leaving and they begged to ride it again, so we did.

This time though, it ended in tears and them swearing we tricked them into getting on a different ride because "it was way faster and scarier this time" just because it was dark :lol:

Does BTM have two tracks that are slightly different, with one being rougher than the other?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rollercoasters usually go slower with fewer people because the mass adds momentum, but I'm sure it depends on the specific launch mechanics and what's powered vs. carried by that momentum during the run.

Velocicoaster for example can fail to make it up the hill on the second launch if it's underweight when it's a bit cold out, even though you'd expect the opposite. It slings back and forth to relaunch when it does which is apparently really cool.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Nanigans posted:

Does BTM have two tracks that are slightly different, with one being rougher than the other?

No. They have two loading/unloading stations but these merge together and debark alternately.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

CelticPredator posted:

Tbh I wish they would nuke the other ET for another Mummy ride.

ET at UO will never go anywhere till Spielberg dies

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

ET at UO will never go anywhere till Spielberg dies

Rumor is that's actually legally binding, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will kill ET and turn his rear end into a mummy

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Aphrodite posted:

Rumor is that's actually legally binding, right?

Not a rumor, Spielberg has a contract that says they will have at least one attraction based on his stuff at UO. Until he dies and Comcast can negotiate with his estate, ET stays home.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hazo posted:

A cursory Google confirms all three trackless rides were designed in-house by Imagineering. Nobody seems to know exactly who the manufacturers are, likely because there were several involved in the wildly complex ride systems, but I’ve seen unsourced claims they’re from Roush Entertainment and ETF among others.

Yeah, I wish I knew who exactly, but the ride vehicles and the ride system that controls them/moves them throughout the ride track were not designed by WDI. WDI did, however, design the way in which that system combines and communicates with the lifts and drop lift, which are more or less a separate ride system. Kind of like Tower of Terror - the vehicles were created by WDI, but the lift mechanisms were actually created and engineered by OTIS Elevators (a fact they don't boast about).

Aphrodite posted:

Rollercoasters usually go slower with fewer people because the mass adds momentum, but I'm sure it depends on the specific launch mechanics and what's powered vs. carried by that momentum during the run.

Velocicoaster for example can fail to make it up the hill on the second launch if it's underweight when it's a bit cold out, even though you'd expect the opposite. It slings back and forth to relaunch when it does which is apparently really cool.

Yup. In fact, for cold weather (like if it's between 45 and 55, below 45 and many won't operate), many coasters in Florida have a requirement that the train must have X number of people on board before being sent. If not, due to cold weather, it might go too slow and valley (not make it through the course). More weight = more momentum.

I cant confirm if this is true or not, but I have been told that Velocicoaster and Mummy adjust the launch intensity based on the weight of the train, to maintain proper train spacing and timing. So if that is true, it's possible that a lighter train in Mummy could be launched faster than a full train.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A guy who was part of the build team for Velocicoaster on Reddit said that it doesn't weigh the trains.

The launch just pushes itself to 70 no matter what, and presumably the system has accounted for some variation in how long that takes. It would have to be a matter of milliseconds anyway. That's probably why relaunches are so rare, and seem to only happen in the cold. He said that at those speeds even a little more is not good for the riders.

Mummy runs at 40, so it could have more wiggle room to speed up a bit I guess.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Why would you want to get rid of ET? That ride was clearly designed by people tripping balls.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
ET ride rules. The queue is great, all the stuff on Earth is cool. The alien planet stuff is :psypop:

It still hits me in the feels when ET talks you by name at the end (assuming he can pronounce it).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Coasterphreak posted:

Not a rumor, Spielberg has a contract that says they will have at least one attraction based on his stuff at UO. Until he dies and Comcast can negotiate with his estate, ET stays home.
Would Jurassic Park not count for that, or does it have to be a Spielberg originated IP and in the specific park rather than in the resorts in general?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Everyone who wants to bulldoze ET will have to answer for it at the Hague

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
ET is really interesting because it's basically your only glimpse into what OG Universal Studios Florida was like. "Lower stakes" rides, old school dark ride effects, simple animatronics, the theme of entering a "movie set" (though Mummy still retains this). It's also a rare instance where a ride shows you more than what the films show. I would love to see it continue to get upgraded.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah TBH I am unreasonably fond of the weirdness that is Universal's ET ride. In a strange way it makes me nostalgic for Disney's MGM Studios.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think that last section is what puts ET over the top. Because it's basically a Peter Pan clone and that's fine, that's really all you want or need an ET ride to be. Get on a bike, ride around dodging feds, at the very end you fly past the moon. That ought to be the climax of the ride and, if it was, everyone would be completely satisfied. And then nope, bam, extra five minutes on ET's homeworld seeing cool aliens. It rules.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSw3sKHtGyo

In which Jenny Nicholson says all the good things you could ever want to hear about ET

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
My ET flex is that a friend of mine helped do color theory on ET when it was being designed. She worked on the fly over the city scene.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Arquinsiel posted:

Would Jurassic Park not count for that, or does it have to be a Spielberg originated IP and in the specific park rather than in the resorts in general?

The latter.

e: like seriously, Universal would love to rip it out and stick some Dreamworks poo poo in there, but they would literally end up spending millions in court. They’re just waiting for him to kick off so they can negotiate with whoever gets his stuff.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 7, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently Velocicoaster is going to be down for a while, unexpectedly. Not really a clear answer on why.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Apparently Velocicoaster is going to be down for a while, unexpectedly. Not really a clear answer on why.

Aw man, we’re going next week and I wanted to ride it with my kids.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mysterious closures like that are usually because it needs a part to come in, so there's still a chance.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

We don't know how long it'll be down but we know Intamin is involved and it was testing this morning.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's an Intamin. Its natural state is closed for maintenance.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BlueBayou posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSw3sKHtGyo

In which Jenny Nicholson says all the good things you could ever want to hear about ET

I don’t particularly care for Jenny but Watcher loving owns and Puppet History and the early seasons of Ghost Files (Ryan slowly getting less scared kind of ruined it) are some of the funniest poo poo ever. Gonna check this out.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Yup. In fact, for cold weather (like if it's between 45 and 55, below 45 and many won't operate), many coasters in Florida have a requirement that the train must have X number of people on board before being sent. If not, due to cold weather, it might go too slow and valley (not make it through the course). More weight = more momentum.
Rides not running if it's even mildly cold is mostly down to it not being economical to purchase winterization equipment in a subtropical climate like Florida. With the right wheels/grease, Intamin coasters can operate in -10 celsius weather.

https://twitter.com/scottb1986/status/1469261455245651969
https://twitter.com/i/status/1747928144210694221
Here's Hyperion and Taron being cleared of snow by way of sending an empty train through the track.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Akileese posted:

We don't know how long it'll be down but we know Intamin is involved and it was testing this morning.

So this is probably an “out of an abundance of caution” closure, rather than something super important is busted.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Coasterphreak posted:

So this is probably an “out of an abundance of caution” closure, rather than something super important is busted.

The word was it needed a part, but that appears to b putting to and two together with Intamin being involved. Anything more than that (like how long it'll be closed for) is baseless speculation.

I'm not expecting it to be back up before I head back home Saturday afternoon, but I also wasn't expecting it be running tests today so I'm really not sure.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Asehujiko posted:

Rides not running if it's even mildly cold is mostly down to it not being economical to purchase winterization equipment in a subtropical climate like Florida. With the right wheels/grease, Intamin coasters can operate in -10 celsius weather.

https://twitter.com/scottb1986/status/1469261455245651969
https://twitter.com/i/status/1747928144210694221
Here's Hyperion and Taron being cleared of snow by way of sending an empty train through the track.

Of course. I was just using it as an example of how empty coaster trains are actually slower than full trains.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I've probably told this story here before but when I worked at Cedar Point, one October morning it was so cold we were asked to ride Millennium Force over and over again as deadweight until the wheels warmed up. I must have ridden it a dozen times in a row. We would jump off in the brake area and run up the walkway to the train in front since they couldn't dispatch empty to get us to the unload station. A few times a gust of wind almost stopped us on the big island hill and it felt like we were close to rolling back. It was also incredibly cold. And despite riding a lot of roller coasters that summer, riding so many times without a break I started to feel quite nauseous.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Velocicoaster open this morning

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I've done Fury when it was like 48 and drizzling. That was really not fun, do not recommend.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Coasterphreak posted:

I've done Fury when it was like 48 and drizzling. That was really not fun, do not recommend.

I did Expedition Everest this way on Monday. Then I put a hoodie on and did two more times.

Nothing was as bad as the downpour on Jurassic Park River Adventure though. That was something.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I went to Phantasialand's Wintertraum when it was around 5C and all major rides were quite doable since they're dug into the terrain or between buildings. Having a thick, padded coat also made some of the rougher ones like the Winjas a bit more comfortable.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Zero One posted:

I've probably told this story here before but when I worked at Cedar Point, one October morning it was so cold we were asked to ride Millennium Force over and over again as deadweight until the wheels warmed up.

Cedar Point is hosting a special event in April to coincide with the upcoming eclipse (CP is right in the path of totality).

April weather is a crapshoot, so might be an opportunity to ride in cold weather again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
1900 park fare reopening in April