Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
The game Princess Connect:ReDive actually handles gacha timeline stuff really well - at the start of the game a weird god-robot-fairy thing tells you "the timeline might get a bit weird; don't worry about it, your brain's just messed up is all". And that's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

https://www.hoyolab.com/article/23554261

This sort of vaguely implies it... might sort of be? As always their wording on stuff is weird.

I don't think you have to take the 3 month old marketing post about a feature that was in active development as gospel, especially when it's worded vaguely like that

Characters mention people, places and events before they "happened" if you take it as a linear sequence of events. It's not a timeline

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

bagrada posted:

I regret not getting Huo Huo, my Bailu is okay but needs a lot of work yet to keep up and I haven't done much with Lynx yet. Who is the next new 5* healer coming up and how do they look?

The closest we know of is 5* Aventurine (Preservation) and 4* Gallagher (Abundance). I'm definitely tempted to get Aventurine now if he's more of Sustain / DPS mix

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

padijun posted:

What about macro voids and the memory zone? I feel like Penacony got zero explanation (except a rulebook that assumes a little bit of familiarity) until I got into the big blue bathtub. Welt and Himeko didn't even reveal the reason for going until their private conversation about 30 minutes into the quest.

It's all just techno mumbo jumbo to expand the setting and to make the player feel like there's more going on in the universe than what they directly see. It's like the Emperor Rubert I excavation thing on the IPC radio. It sounds like a plot hook but it's probably just there as background fluff.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So, while I was playing the early parts of Penacony, a thought occurred to me. They placed a lot of emphasis on the necessity of the Trailblaze to keep the various systems connected to eachother during the sequence before the arrival at Penacony. Akivili was killed in some nebulous, unknown way. And the Qlipoth the Preservation, commonly considered a benevolent Aeon, seems solely occupied with the task of creating an interdimensional barrier intended to cut off all worlds from eachother, as if to trap their uniqueness and preserve it in amber.

Wouldn't these two motivations be directly opposing? In theory, wouldn't Akivili have been an bigger impediment to Qlipoth than even the Destruction? What if it was responsible for Akivili's death? Plus, it'd open up the opportunity of the IPC becoming more nakedly antagonistic later on in the story.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PatentPending posted:

The game Princess Connect:ReDive actually handles gacha timeline stuff really well - at the start of the game a weird god-robot-fairy thing tells you "the timeline might get a bit weird; don't worry about it, your brain's just messed up is all". And that's that.

Yuuki's brain is very special, it's true

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Pulled the trigger on getting Gepard from my standard selector. Hopefully I don't regret not getting E1 Bronya, but I really really want Gepard for SU.

Kinda hoping that they'll give another standard 5* selector on anniversary. Seems like it would be the right level of generosity to follow up Dr. Ratio. Generous enough to meet people's expectations, but won't hurt their bottom line much, if at all

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

yea, hell make it so you get another selector ticket after 200/400 pulls, at least it be something to look forward to after months of free standard draws.

Penacola:
lol died @ trailblazer meteor smash into Yamcha death pose crater

glad I have Topaz, makes finding these chests easier so I don't have to actively keep an eye out for them

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 6, 2024

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tree Reformat posted:

I choose to believe that the Trailblazer is such a disaster bisexual, they canonically forgive any hot person literally anything so long as they show them the slightest bit of affection afterwards. You don't get to tell off Ruan Mei at all, for example.

Cocolia and Phantylia's mistakes were dying and loving off immediately after their boss fights, TB would absolutely flirt with them if they could lol

If the dream sequences in the BS and Tatarov trailers are any indication of TB's inner thoughts, Phantylia definitely awoke something inside them lol

JT Jag posted:

So, while I was playing the early parts of Penacony, a thought occurred to me. They placed a lot of emphasis on the necessity of the Trailblaze to keep the various systems connected to eachother during the sequence before the arrival at Penacony. Akivili was killed in some nebulous, unknown way. And the Qlipoth the Preservation, commonly considered a benevolent Aeon, seems solely occupied with the task of creating an interdimensional barrier intended to cut off all worlds from eachother, as if to trap their uniqueness and preserve it in amber.

Wouldn't these two motivations be directly opposing? In theory, wouldn't Akivili have been an bigger impediment to Qlipoth than even the Destruction? What if it was responsible for Akivili's death? Plus, it'd open up the opportunity of the IPC becoming more nakedly antagonistic later on in the story.

I have no idea, but I do like this line of thought

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

well i got black swan in 20 pulls, which means now i have to wait for kafka to come back since i don't have her :(

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well from what I've seen, even though BS/Kafka is the obvious team that melts stuff as well as you'd expect, BS still works absurdly well with non-Kafka DoT units and will still do tons of damage anyways.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

These trashcans are just EYE Divine Cybermancy NPCs

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I don't really want BS (no Kafka), but I'm considering DHIL. Just not sure he's worth it considering I have Ratio and E1 Welt. Ratio isn't quite fully built, but close.

Already have Topaz, JY, JL, Seele, Blade, and a well built QQ, and also Himeko and Herta fully built.

Seems like my roster of DPS should be sufficient and I can just save. Would his cone be worthwhile if I don't get him?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you've been doing MoC without him and don't really want him then you don't need him

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]

Gerdalti posted:

I don't really want BS (no Kafka), but I'm considering DHIL. Just not sure he's worth it considering I have Ratio and E1 Welt. Ratio isn't quite fully built, but close.

Already have Topaz, JY, JL, Seele, Blade, and a well built QQ, and also Himeko and Herta fully built.

Seems like my roster of DPS should be sufficient and I can just save. Would his cone be worthwhile if I don't get him?

I'm not seeing any decent sustain units in that list; are you just referring to DPSs you have? Because if not I'd advise you hoard for a re-run of your favourite Abundance or Preservation limited.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I have seen the future, and its name is....

[red]Acheron[/red]

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sparkle also seems like an option since you have Seele and a well built QQ.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well from what I've seen, even though BS/Kafka is the obvious team that melts stuff as well as you'd expect, BS still works absurdly well with non-Kafka DoT units and will still do tons of damage anyways.

Yeah, if you have a way to force DoT triggers out of turn - E4 Sampo, E6 Luka, Guinaifen at all - then you can make Black Swan work. It's just that Kafka really sends her into stupid town.

I think I'm gonna try with mine running an ER rope with Tutorial Mission because I don't have any of the other good EHR-boosting cones (no Eyes, Welt's cone only improves Skill, etc). Apparently with good hit/kill luck you can keep her on a 2-turn ult cycle? Which lets you keep up permanent Epiphany if speed works in your favor???

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I like DHIL but given Ratio is literally free and the fact they do close to the same amount of damage st it's a really hard sell. Ratio is only a bit behind (500% vs 420%) but so much easier to use I can't see of a situation where DHIL excels but a theoretical imaginary aoe char isn't better than him.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I have all the sustain chars too.
Fu, Loucha, Houhou, Gepard (not built). Plus E6 Lynx.
Also forgot to mention E1 Clara in my DPS.

I do think I'll just skip this banner and go sparkle. That's the smart move.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I was under the impression Qlipoth was building its wall around the known universe/branches of the tree, rather than walling the worlds off from one another. The implication being there’s something out there it feels warrants such a massive barrier to keep out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I finally got around to doing all that Dr. Ratio stuff (haven't done the actual new content yet). I liked it! This game is good at telling these little self-contained stories. It's far less...overly verbose about it than Genshin Impact (I also like the stories in that, but they often have overly long dull parts, while Star Rail stuff usually pretty quickly gets to the point).

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Looking for info about the last party member for my Black Swan team. I have BS (e0), Kafka (e0), Huohuo (e0r1) and ???

My Sampo is only e1. I did use him early game a lot so he is level 60 with some traces. I got e6 Lil Gui from rolling this banner but she isn’t built. I think she is my favorite 4star DoT option. I have e3 Luka as well. Neither of those two are built though.

I’m wondering if it’s better to just pop Tingyun (e6), Hanya (e2), or Pela (e6) or SW (e0) depending on if it’s AoE or ST or to build another DoT character for the team. I don’t have Ruan Mei.

I know Sampo is mentioned as one of the best options but see people saying he wants e4 for that. I saw that Gui isn’t as suitable since her ult is the only thing g that interacts with BS. So I’m not sure if a buffer/debuffer is better?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Guinaifen is a debuffer, though. E6 Gui will increase your damage about as much as Pela. It just takes her a bit longer to get there. But if she's one of your favorites, try her out.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bussamove posted:

I was under the impression Qlipoth was building its wall around the known universe/branches of the tree, rather than walling the worlds off from one another. The implication being there’s something out there it feels warrants such a massive barrier to keep out.
My understanding is that it's doing both. It's trying to wall off the known universe and also to build between the planets, and the IPC is in flagrant disregard of its intentions on the latter part

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i like how tsun dr ratio is, i really like him especially after the final conversation between him and screwllum at the end divulged more blatantly how he operates tbh lol

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Black Swan's best team* is Kafka, Swan, RM, Huohuo and if you don't have RM you can just use Pela for def shred and SP generation. Also Pela needs minimal investment so it'll be a lot less painful than cranking another damaging dot character up to 80 and fully kitted out.

*preliminary experience

JT Jag posted:

My understanding is that it's doing both. It's trying to wall off the known universe and also to build between the planets, and the IPC is in flagrant disregard of its intentions on the latter part

Personally surprised that Space Tencent would be a little hypocritical in its behaviour tbh...

Seriously though there are multiple groups that follow each Path and they have their own interpretation of what that means. The Antimatter Legion are literally Nanook's army while the Annihilation Gang are just a bunch of posers who Nanook doesn't even know exist. The IPC wants to be space capitalism maximalists to Fund The Wall while the Architects just want to protect the planet of Jarilo VI.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
finally getting around to the story after getting swan’s e1 and building her and sampo a bit more. still far from done though — it feels like it takes so long to build characters here.

between the option of constantly microaggressing the pepeshi and sparkle just full mask-off “you people”ing aventurine, this sure is one hell of a patch

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sam is real 2024

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Aventurine is a real scumbag. I need him on the squad.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i like the different ways Adventurine approaches his job in contrast to Topaz

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

god damnit sampo

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

GoodluckJonathan posted:

god damnit sampo

Words to live by.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I have already forgiven Aventurine for all his future crimes and look forward to sending him cute messages after I thwart his plans.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sleng Teng posted:

Aventurine is a real scumbag. I need him on the squad.

Everytime Aventurine is on screen I feel like I need a shower after, he’a so drat greasy and sleazy.

It’s great.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that they actually let future playable characters be kind of slimy in some ways, aventurine is cool. i shant be rolling for him however

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

after Adventurine, its like why does Sampo need to exist

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

GateOfD posted:

after Adventurine, its like why does Sampo need to exist

Poor Sampo even getting powercrept on his personality.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Aventurine is such a bitch

I love him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Bussamove posted:

Everytime Aventurine is on screen I feel like I need a shower after, he’a so drat greasy and sleazy.

It’s great.

And it makes perfect sense for him to be introduced here: if he was the one trying to repo Jarilo-VI we'd hate his guts forever, but here we get to watch him be a scheming sack of poo poo against people who can stand up to him and are also probably scheming sacks of poo poo.