Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

occurred to me earlier, there's art of jump-sentinels from the TCG, yeah? with how they seem to be avoiding a regular sentinel for them, pretty good chance we see those return in some form

Yvonmukluk posted:

It straight up has the classic 3rd edition sentinel legs, right?

depends how literal you mean; they're obviously interpreting some of the specific details more closely than the revised 40K design, but at the same time they're also restyling it for the hermes and aethon to include details of that revision and features of other solar designs, so it's not identical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Assessor of Maat posted:

occurred to me earlier, there's art of jump-sentinels from the TCG, yeah? with how they seem to be avoiding a regular sentinel for them, pretty good chance we see those return in some form

This would make a lot of people I know very happy.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Was looking for mk3 armor again at my LGS and they didn't have anything in stock; apparently GW warehouse was hit with a blizzard and then flooded and now all the orders are back stocked by multiple weeks.

Also I'm kind of pissed that the assault marines box is only ten units and it's the same price as the 20 unit tactical squad. I can't keep up with the price increases, shrinkflation, or the greed :(

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I mean, I wish the stuff was cheaper too, but the assault marines required twice as many sprues as the tacticals, it's not 'shrinkflation'

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

smug jeebus posted:

I mean, I wish the stuff was cheaper too, but the assault marines required twice as many sprues as the tacticals, it's not 'shrinkflation'

Not quite. A 20-man tactical kit is four five-man half-sprues and two sergeant-specific quarter-sprues, for a total of 2.5 full sprues. A ten-man assault kit is two five-man half-sprues and one jetpack-and-sergeant half-sprue, for a total of 1.5 full sprues. You really are getting less plastic as well as fewer guys in the assault box, but it's not as bad as half as much.

(Uh, for reference here, a full sprue is what I'm calling the biggest sprue GW makes, the kind that requires a 12" x 8 1/2" box; a half-sprue is half that size and is, like, one tactical marine sprue; the smallest sprues GW makes are eighth-sprues, which they use for individual characters.)

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Yeah, the Assault Marine kit is a great kit; but I’d say undeniably overpriced for the actual amount of plastic in it. I was stunned when I first saw the price.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

At least its a better deal than the primaris jump pack squad!

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
what miniatures do you guys use for militia? what im looking for are the ability to swap out bits (so not one solid mold) with other bits, and stuff that may not be immediately recognizable as a historical figurine.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I am considering the Grognards from Wargame Atlantic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you don’t like napoleonic french, that same range has space infantry plastic kits in fallschirmjäger, viking, redcoat/pith helmet, and US Vietnam flavours.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
There's also the space jumpsuit flavor, but their guns are awfully undetailed

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you don’t like napoleonic french, that same range has space infantry plastic kits in fallschirmjäger, viking, redcoat/pith helmet, and US Vietnam flavours.

Don't forget 'Literally Space/Colonial Marines' and the Dreamforge stuff, although I kind of feel the latter's a bit too Wehraboo flavoured for my tastes.

For more rag-tag there's the Broken from Maelstrom's edge, or the various Stargrave miniatures.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Spotted something. This design element here:

Is also present on the inside of the shins of the new scimitar jetpack rider sprue:

Did that kind of striated interior armor cross-section ever appear on a Heresy 1st edition ForgeWorld sculpt, or is that a new piece of design language that's been introduced in just these two kits so far?

Of course, there is precedent in 40k for that being what space marine plate looks like under the outer layer:

Although this does raise the question of why elite Blood Angels just... take off the outer layer of their armor for visual effect. Previously that seemed to be sculpted detail; with the context of these two Heresy kits it now appears to be interior engineering.

(Also why are you wearing less armor, bomb squad consul?)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 9, 2024

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Mephiston’s armour is unique, not just missing bits. In the lore it’s supposed to resemble glistening exposed muscle. He’s been like that for as long as I remember.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The turret gunners on the tank sprue also have similar armour

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Yeah it's clearly influenced by the Dracula armor by Bram Stoker.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mephiston’s armour is unique, not just missing bits. In the lore it’s supposed to resemble glistening exposed muscle. He’s been like that for as long as I remember.

He's not the only Blood Angel who has that striated armor design, though -- there'd been breastplates like that on blood angel upgrade sprues. I'm pointing out the resemblance because it reminds me of e.g. the Plagueburst Crawler being retroactively made a modern Death Guard development on the Arquitor Bombard, despite the Bombard being designed after the Crawler.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The turret gunners on the tank sprue also have similar armour

Good catch!

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 10, 2024

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I don’t think it’s connected to Mephiston at all. Sculpted ornate artificer armour vs exposure of gubbins under plates

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'll be honest, I wasn't even thinking of Mephiston when I drew that comparison, he was just an easier image to find on the GW webstore. The actual thing I was thinking of was this:

Lower right breastplate.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

you're overthinking it

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Stephenls posted:

I'll be honest, I wasn't even thinking of Mephiston when I drew that comparison, he was just an easier image to find on the GW webstore. The actual thing I was thinking of was this:

Lower right breastplate.

Pretty sure it's just a blood angels decorative thing.

Astorath has the same getup and it's part of his bling.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

yeah, though similar to dante and tycho's fancy nipple armour it was specifically part of mephistion's dracula gimmick until 5th rolled it out more broadly

for the new heresy kits I would assume they were mostly thinking of the times a sculptor has been winging it for dead marines on a character's base (and maybe some of the odder C100/RT01/RT101 marines) and how to work it into a consistent visual language

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

ijyt posted:

you're overthinking it

This would admittedly be very in-character for me.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The Emperor, circa M2, showing off what would later become a cornerstone of Blood Angels bling

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Demilich posted:

The Emperor, circa M2, showing off what would later become a cornerstone of Blood Angels bling

Is that the Scrotal-pattern armour from the Witcher?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

Is that the Scrotal-pattern armour from the Witcher?

No that's the Nair pattern armor. For missions when you absolutely must look like a freshly plucked nutsack

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

The Demilich posted:

No that's the Nair pattern armor. For missions when you absolutely must look like a freshly plucked nutsack

This just caused me emotional damage.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Z the IVth posted:

Pretty sure it's just a blood angels decorative thing.

Astorath has the same getup and it's part of his bling.

The Jump Pack Chaplain even goes half-and-half on the sculpted exterior vs exposed tendons looks. And has a moustache, for some reason.

Besides I think Dante and Mephiston I don't think the real BA aesthetic has really crossed into the Primaris range yet, the BA and original DA Primaris upgrade sprues are pretty barebones compared to the above one (the new DA one and the BT ones are decent though)

I'd like to do either fallen Blood Angels or CSM in their style (or an army I can play as either) but would like a range refresh first. Hopefully a new BA frame isn't too far away, although I don't think you can really do replacement chesplates anymore, besides for specific models.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I see Endryd is getting a mini with the new book.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/15/heresy-thursday-endryd-haar-punches-the-heads-off-world-eaters-in-the-battle-for-beta-garmon/

Speculation time since a few new mkV resin characters are starting to crop up, how the gently caress are they going to handle the amount of studs on mkV armour if they also do a plastic release? The amount of complaining over the two part mkVI shoulder was ridiculous and they did that to make the studs properly round.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Teatime posted:

I see Endryd is getting a mini with the new book.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/02/15/heresy-thursday-endryd-haar-punches-the-heads-off-world-eaters-in-the-battle-for-beta-garmon/

Speculation time since a few new mkV resin characters are starting to crop up, how the gently caress are they going to handle the amount of studs on mkV armour if they also do a plastic release? The amount of complaining over the two part mkVI shoulder was ridiculous and they did that to make the studs properly round.

I mean Endryd has square studs, so that might be how they're doing it.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
You know how the studded pauldron for the new Mk VI is two pieces on the sprue? Imagine that for both legs and the helmet as well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If it's like the Castigator ammo chain, we can expect 3,248 individual studs.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
What’s the deal there - Is it harder to do round studs in plastic than in resin?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

From what I understand, yes. Resin lets you get away with some undercuts because the mold is slightly flexible rubber(?), but a steel mold for plastic is much less forgiving.

The best you can get in a single piece is what we see on the MkIV - where the sphere has a kinda teardrop tailing off the reverse side.

I've found the MkVI shoulders are fine, and if you use plastic cement they're near seamless.

But if you super glue them it's a loving fiddly mess that'll look like poo poo.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
They can split the shoulders in two like on the Mark VIs, although the Mark V apothecary suggests they have a new design for the MkV left shoulder with more, smaller studs to differentiate it from the MkVI left shoulders, which should be interesting, but yeah this suggests they're going to do something complex with the greaves. The MkIII sprue omits the MkVI bayonets to make room for the gauntlet plates, so they do have a degree of extra space on the sprue to play with.

If I had to guess I'd say they'll design the new MkV greaves so there's no studs on the back of the legs, only the front, and then they'll have each leg be in two pieces, with either the inner or outer shin as a separate bit you have to slot in on each leg. The other option would be to recess the studs more so they're not fully hemispherical; that increases the angle at which they can be cast.

(And yes, the helmets may also need to be in two pieces, with the upper helm bit facing to the side and the faceplate and eye lenses facing to the front.)

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 16, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

The Jump Pack Chaplain even goes half-and-half on the sculpted exterior vs exposed tendons looks. And has a moustache, for some reason.

I think those are supposed to be ridges but the hard highlight turns it into a moustache. The Eavy Metal team aren't that great with faces tbh and have a habit of using very harsh highlights. Fine for the usual screaming men but for subtlety it doesn't work.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

comedy option: mkv is in forgeworld resin only

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

ijyt posted:

comedy option: mkv is in forgeworld resin only

You joke, but these are still for sale.

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Legion-MkV-Heresy-Armour-2016

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

To be fair the resin mkV are rad as gently caress. Mould is showing its age though you get a lot of bad slip on the legs, had to carve off the studs on some of mine in order to fix them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mr Teatime posted:

To be fair the resin mkV are rad as gently caress.

They're also, weirdly, easy to re-pose into being about the same height as the current plastics.