Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

it's also a bad idea if it's a developer who consistently drops the ball, which means pretty much any AAA developer these days because they all suck terribly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I basically never want to read reviews of anything I might be interested in. 2 hour refund window is usually enough to know if I'm going to be into it or not, but it's usually obvious beforehand anyway. When I'm not sure it's usually some pretty straight forward questions about mechanics or design approach and that sort of thing is often answered just secondhand by the kind goobers who read every article and watch previews of things they're interested in.

Seems like a bad approach to me, I'd rather play any game with as little knowledge of it aside from the right vibe or mood to be in to play it. If you wanna relax and do some mindless action won't do any good to fire up a writing heavy story game in that moment, but gently caress reading some product review from some rushed person playing a prerelease build on a deadline with an inherently compromising relationship with the companies involved.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

internet celebrity posted:

It's not fear, it's the experience of a lifetime of forum posting and knowing that the second you're defending anything you've already lost.

Hard won wisdom in that post/username combo

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
The thing about bioshock infinite, is that like, I wanted political satire/commentary even if hamfisted, but instead the game chickened out, decided “actually slaves did some hosed up things too idk both sides” and then turned into the most uninteresting episode of doctor who for the last half the game to try and avoid ever having to deal with its own premise. It’s the most cowardly game ever made. For all its faults at least bioshock 1 stuck to its premise and central idea.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Khanstant posted:

I basically never want to read reviews of anything I might be interested in. 2 hour refund window is usually enough to know if I'm going to be into it or not, but it's usually obvious beforehand anyway. When I'm not sure it's usually some pretty straight forward questions about mechanics or design approach and that sort of thing is often answered just secondhand by the kind goobers who read every article and watch previews of things they're interested in.

Seems like a bad approach to me, I'd rather play any game with as little knowledge of it aside from the right vibe or mood to be in to play it. If you wanna relax and do some mindless action won't do any good to fire up a writing heavy story game in that moment, but gently caress reading some product review from some rushed person playing a prerelease build on a deadline with an inherently compromising relationship with the companies involved.

Steam reviews are a godsend in that regard, some games are total lemons which you'll never know about until the tutorial phase is over. I'm not talking about % positive, but rather if the entire review section is griping about a particular thing, it's probably true!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Steam reviews can be helpful you just have to be really heavy handed with which ones you totally ignore.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I don't really care that much about Tekken 8 but the announcer is wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX_E-GAxnDw

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Even crazier when I found out she also voiced Anna Williams in earlier Tekken games.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
sorry babe i can't right now, they're talking about art in the bad videogames opinions thread

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
All threads are bad videogames opinions threads

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vic posted:

All threads are bad videogames opinions threads

you're right, final fantasy was a mistake

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

games can be art. game devs are just cowards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_TAeq9pJNY

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

George posted:

sorry babe i can't right now, they're talking about art in the bad videogames opinions thread

every post about videogames is a post about art

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Games reached good enough graphics 14 years ago. All the progress since then is simulating stuff that can be faked with good art direction.

Recent good example is how Diablo 4 simulates subsurface scattering on player characters skin. That game is full of detail that is completely pointless and a waste of computing power.

Or how ray tracing makes some games look worse because the light behaves realistically.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Mordor She Wrote posted:

The thing about bioshock infinite, is that like, I wanted political satire/commentary even if hamfisted, but instead the game chickened out, decided “actually slaves did some hosed up things too idk both sides” and then turned into the most uninteresting episode of doctor who for the last half the game to try and avoid ever having to deal with its own premise. It’s the most cowardly game ever made. For all its faults at least bioshock 1 stuck to its premise and central idea.

While I agree with you, I think Far Cry 5 is up in the top list of 'most cowardly games' if it comes to introducing a premise and then immediately backing down and not engaging with it at all.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Lucas Archer posted:

While I agree with you, I think Far Cry 5 is up in the top list of 'most cowardly games' if it comes to introducing a premise and then immediately backing down and not engaging with it at all.

Those two games are siblings in failure and cowardice.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Ubisoft is the king of cowardly video game publishers. So many of their modern day shooter games give the appearance of making some sort of a political statement, without actually saying anything.

So it was loving hilarious what happened with The Division 2. A 2019 release, where you are shooting various bad guys in Washington DC after society is destroyed by a deadly virus. One of the endgame missions has you reclaiming the Capital from a fascist militia.

They tried so hard to make the conflicts and factions not map to any sort of real life politics, but they got completely outmaneuvered by current events.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Vic posted:

Games reached good enough graphics 14 years ago. All the progress since then is simulating stuff that can be faked with good art direction.

Recent good example is how Diablo 4 simulates subsurface scattering on player characters skin. That game is full of detail that is completely pointless and a waste of computing power.

Or how ray tracing makes some games look worse because the light behaves realistically.
I don't remember games from 14 years ago but I agree on principle

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Vic posted:

I'd put the cutoff at whenever the real-time PBR pipeline started getting traction, which I believe is around 10 years ago. But otherwise, pretty much yeah.

e: Load times are better now though. I do like that.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 7, 2024

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It annoys the poo poo out of me that because it fits the "always more" model I have to buy a new GPU just so I can play poo poo that does not look appreciably better than ten years ago

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Khanstant posted:

I wait for goons to play it and give their response. You know a game is good if all megathreads can talk about for pages is that one game.

Notably the exception for this is Darks Souls and Bloodborne, which are bad games.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dark Souls, a game that goons only hate because it's goonier than them

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

It annoys the poo poo out of me that because it fits the "always more" model I have to buy a new GPU just so I can play poo poo that does not look appreciably better than ten years ago

In the same vein, I don't get the complaints about the prices of the latest and greatest GPU, because nowadays GPUs kinda last a long time if you don't crank up the video settings (for small gains) or screen resolution.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I like Ray Tracing, he's a cool guy

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

every post about videogames is a post about art

Are you implying posts aren't art?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I like Ray Tracing, he's a cool guy

Is he related to Ray Id

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

it's also a bad idea if it's a developer who consistently drops the ball, which means pretty much any AAA developer these days because they all suck terribly

Is Rockstar thought of bad on this site? I haven't played red dead 2 but gta 5 was pretty fun.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Is Rockstar thought of bad on this site? I haven't played red dead 2 but gta 5 was pretty fun.

RDR2 came out like six years ago and GTA5 came out over 10 years ago

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

a great example of this is the mods that add raytracing to old games like tomb raider

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Video games will absolutely never be a good medium to address serious issues.

This War of Mine - Any% in 5:18

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I don't remember games from 14 years ago but I agree on principle

I used to agree with this but then too often I see a game and laugh at how 2008 it looked but it's a game that came out in like 2020.

The gulf between what even an amateur following a couple blender tutorials can make for render quality, let alone professional CG artist outfits, and what runs in the best looking games is still pretty wide. Videogames are like Toy Story, maybe Toy Story 2 level now.

If they ever make a good console and they can go hog wild on realtime Ray tracing it would be incredible improvements for production workflows. It's so much easier to make models and textures that look good and react to light properly for their materials than it is to make lower poly versions with some baked in effects and abstracted maps to mostly look like their materials.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I used to agree with this but then too often I see a game and laugh at how 2008 it looked but it's a game that came out in like 2020.

The gulf between what even an amateur following a couple blender tutorials can make for render quality, let alone professional CG artist outfits, and what runs in the best looking games is still pretty wide. Videogames are like Toy Story, maybe Toy Story 2 level now.

If they ever make a good console and they can go hog wild on realtime Ray tracing it would be incredible improvements for production workflows. It's so much easier to make models and textures that look good and react to light properly for their materials than it is to make lower poly versions with some baked in effects and abstracted maps to mostly look like their materials.

That quality gulf is mostly just artist experience/time/resources, not tech-based.

All ray-tracing brings to the table is dynamic irradiance maps and a few auxiliary effects, which ultimately only really matters in specific kind of scenes. There's a reason why so many RT demos feature scenes that are wet, at night and full of off-screen flashing neon lights.

Making lower poly models will always be important for realtime rendering, even in a raytraced engine. I will grant a lot of that complexity will go away for artists as tooling keeps improving, but that's all pipeline stuff and has no bearing on players' hardware.

The baked effects and abstracted maps issue has been mostly addressed with the aforementioned PBR pipeline to a degree where moving to raytracing won't make that big of a difference.

We'll get there because of the better/dynamic secondary reflections, but it's not going to make a mindblowing difference for anyone in of itself.

At the end of the day, art direction and elbow grease will remain the main factor from here on out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Absolutely. Plenty of old games with low tech graphics that look incredible, people still copy em today. Pixel art is still one of the most pain in the rear end graphics styles to make and people still pursue it, even early gen 3d era art is growing in people wanting to go our of their way to make stuff look as if it had limitations they are faking in new ways.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Art direction is always going to trump tech, and while adding Mr. Tracing to a good art directed game is very likely going to improve it, I don't think it's going to be necessary to make it look good. I'm hard pressed to find a good-looking 3D game from late 2000s-early 2010s but that's because that's more or less the brown era of games, and those looked like rear end then and, would look like rear end now with any new fancy tech added.

My biggest issue with all this new tech it's because it feels to me that it only exists to push new fancier and more expensive GPUs, and great looking games kinda don't need the latest tech to look great.

e: basically my stance is this:

mind the walrus posted:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 7, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mostly agree with Vic, and it affects me a lot as I've always run on older hardware and so seeing new tech fashions arrive has always been crippling. Ambient Occlusion was/is my personal bugbear; stuff that was normally baked in is now generated on the fly, but unlike stuff like blur and shiny surfaces and other shader effects, you can't turn AO off without the game looking like total horseshit. A good example is modern facial hair where the hair is just a brown or black untextured polygon jutting out of a character's face that AO smooths over. Previously, the russians just used a pencil it was art assets of hand-painted textures which looked no worse, but admittedly costs time.

It's not even a budget/AAA issue; RAGE looked loving sweet prior to AO, Doom16 I'm pretty sure I turned it off for, but Mankind Divided you really HAD to have it on.

It wouldn't bother me except it's such an performance-intensive thing to enable, unlike so many other things just roughly shoved under the hood as 'shaders'.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
When it comes to hardware I have a good lol whenever someone tells me I *need* a high refresh rate monitor for games. It's like telling someone who only knows cowboy chords that they need a $3000 guitar just to enjoy themselves. No shade on people buying either of those but not even close to a requirement to enjoy yourself.

Also playing a bit of Elden Ring and I realised what Fromsoft games remind me of: 3D versions of I Wanna Be the Guy.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I recently finally bought a monitor with a high refresh rate. For the last ten years I've never seen anything above 60 fps. The high frame rate thing is neat, but super novel. Yeah, I'll notice it if I switch to something that's 60 fps but only for like that moment.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The benefit you'll experience from a higher refresh rate depends largely on the type of game you're playing. In a strategy game or RPG you'll probably notice that things are a bit smoother, but it won't seem like a world of difference. In a fast paced FPS it makes a world of difference.

syntaxfunction posted:

Also playing a bit of Elden Ring and I realised what Fromsoft games remind me of: 3D versions of I Wanna Be the Guy.

You've either never played Fromsoft games or you've never played I Wanna Be the Guy

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
human reaction speed is like 200ms+. going from 60hz to 144 and lowering frame time from 17ms to 7ms is not gonna make an appreciable difference to your reactions even in fast past twitchy games.
it might feel smoother to play though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

human reaction speed is like 200ms+. going from 60hz to 144 and lowering frame time from 17ms to 7ms is not gonna make an appreciable difference to your reactions even in fast past twitchy games.
it might feel smoother to play though

None of this is true