Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

e.g. KOI8-R contains both A and Д and you need to be able to losslessly roundtrip from KOI8-R to Unicode and then back to KOI8-R

Д is a Cyrillic D. Cyrillic A looks identical to Latin and Greek A. At least in upper case. Printed Cyrillic uses small caps, actual lower case is only used in italics or handwriting.

That character set also includes Latin characters as well of course because everything has to be a superset of ASCII.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

damnit echi

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sapozhnik posted:

Д is a Cyrillic D. Cyrillic A looks identical to Latin and Greek A. At least in upper case. Printed Cyrillic uses small caps, actual lower case is only used in italics or handwriting.

That character set also includes Latin characters as well of course because everything has to be a superset of ASCII.

i cдп гёдd гцssiдп дlгёдdу, dёspiтё пфт sтцdуiпg iт

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VikingofRock posted:

Filesystems/OSs should just give every file a UUID and then use that. Then, allow users to set the display names to whatever they want. Users wanna have 50 different files on their desktop, all called "temp.txt" or whatever? I say, let them!

congratulations you’ve invented the Apple Lisa

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

Should have done Latin-Greek-Cyrillic unification as well while they were at it

D, Δ, Д are all basically the same letter, if the user really about that character's exact appearance then they can choose a region-appropriate font

there’s a lot more than that, it’s really all Phoenician

what we really need are invisible language tags in text so we can tell the specific language that should be used for sorting, comparison, etc. on a per-substring basis

but we don’t just need language tags, we need dialect tags too, so we can tell whether to use Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, or original rules for the different Norse dialects

at least it’ll improve text to speech pronunciation

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

its the same reason Unicode contains a bunch of precomposed characters even though you can make them using combining sequences

ah but is ö an o plus dieresis or is it a completely distinct character?

the answer(s) might surprise you!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

the first good post this thread has seen in pages

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

eschaton posted:

how about invisible ligatures that annotate glyph clusters with phonemes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Internet Janitor posted:

how about invisible ligatures that annotate glyph clusters with phonemes

slight issue there with exotic languages that have different phonemes in different regions, such as *cough* english

(or was that the joke?)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
didn't Bruce Lee unify his fist with Han in 1973?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

i had a han sandwich yesterday

edit: meant ham. unicooooode :argh:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

eschaton posted:

ah but is ö an o plus dieresis or is it a completely distinct character?

the answer(s) might surprise you!

should r + n and m be unified into a single rn character? or are they different?

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Whew. I finally caught up and got current with this thread, all the way from p. 1721 way back in July 2022.

I don't know what else to say right now other than: hi tef, I've missed you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

eschaton posted:

what we really need are invisible language tags in text so we can tell the specific language that should be used for sorting, comparison, etc. on a per-substring basis

but we don’t just need language tags, we need dialect tags too, so we can tell whether to use Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, or original rules for the different Norse dialects

we also need a separate aa digraph so Aabenraa sorts after Aachen and Zephyr

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 2, 2024

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

eschaton posted:

Speaking of sorting, I did a query against an SQL Server database where the value I was looking up was LIKE 'M%' and sorted by that value. The results came in with a bunch of 'M-A%' values through 'M-I%' values, followed by a handful of 'MJ%' values with no hyphen, followed by 'M-K%' and all the rest. I don't know what the hell collation settings managed to ignore hyphens while sorting, but I'm amazed they exist.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CPColin posted:

Speaking of sorting, I did a query against an SQL Server database where the value I was looking up was LIKE 'M%' and sorted by that value. The results came in with a bunch of 'M-A%' values through 'M-I%' values, followed by a handful of 'MJ%' values with no hyphen, followed by 'M-K%' and all the rest. I don't know what the hell collation settings managed to ignore hyphens while sorting, but I'm amazed they exist.

maybe they were soft-hyphens lol

like ideally they shouldnt affect sorting and only show up when there's a linebreak there, but iirc ive seen them in terminal output (definitely as code points, which could maybe get rendered as regular hyphens if the settings are all hosed up?)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If they're soft hyphens then my predecessor was even more nuts than I previously thought :psyduck:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CPColin posted:

If they're soft hyphens then my predecessor was even more nuts than I previously thought :psyduck:

lol they are 100% soft hyphens

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CPColin posted:

i had a helluva time with them in a tool i wrote

basically it was for copy-editing ocr, so what we did was split everything into tokens = "words". but since words are sometimes split with hyphens, we also checked for hard/soft hypens at end of token and marked them as hyphenated (to keep coordinates for editing the ocr in the pdf).

but in the front end, we needed the editors to be able to see where the hyphens were, so it ended up being something like:

- backend sends a "consolidated token" to the frontend, which had both left and right tokens, with the soft hyphen replaced by a hard one
- frontend editor does whatever, maybe moves hyphens or something idk
- backend then splits on the hard hyphen, turns it back into a soft, and saves the two tokens again

just a real hacky job, but it actually worked, as long as therer werent actual hard hyphens in words that also included soft hyphens. we just skipped those lol

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
apple open sourced a DSL for configuration, because we don't have enough config formats https://pkl-lang.org/index.html

it's a language that compiles to json/yaml/plist/properties and also generates static types for java/kotlin/swift/go and has plugins for intellij/vscode/neovim. i'm sure all of these things are supported equally and everything works consistently across the board

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wonder how it compares to cue

mystes
May 31, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

apple open sourced a DSL for configuration, because we don't have enough config formats https://pkl-lang.org/index.html

it's a language that compiles to json/yaml/plist/properties and also generates static types for java/kotlin/swift/go and has plugins for intellij/vscode/neovim. i'm sure all of these things are supported equally and everything works consistently across the board
I saw that but I didn't even realize it was apple. Hearing about a new apple programming language makes me about as excited as hearing about a new google programming language

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
pretty sure we have a ton of programmers using all of those languages and ides, so they’re probably all well-supported

or are you under the impression that apple just doesn’t have a website

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

abraham linksys posted:

ah good, bindings for java, kotlin, swift, and go. you know, the languages people use

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
typescript would probably be a good target to add, i guess

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I'm very much OK with dissing on Apple (give me OpenMP!!!), but I can't really begrudge some Apple project for only supporting code generation for four languages in its initial release. Since the thing is on GitHub, I don't think they would mind your contribution of support for Standard ML or other such superior languages.

Athas fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't think the point was so much the precise breadth of supports but a question of the commitment to the thing.

which, i think it fair in that you probably should not expect *that* much more than from a random github repo with some momentum behind it. i.e. more of the modern "google releases a thing!" than ye olde "here's one of the building blocks of our technology stack, expect it deeply ingrained in our base sdk's".

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i don't know the people behind pkl, so i can't directly vouch for them or tell you that it's already used in a million different places or anything like that, but i don't think apple has a particularly bad track record about creating and then abandoning developer products. i certainly don't think we've done anything to deserve to be named in the same sentence as google on that front

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
like i know that's just an open invitation for people to jump in and make a million complaints about xcode and lldb, but those products are clearly not actually abandoned, they actually get a lot of development, it's just that that development doesn't always fix whatever problems people are seeing (and also people like to bitch about their tools)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
eh just point out cocoapods broke everyone yesterday and they'll take their xcode-shaped pitchforks elsewhere

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rjmccall posted:

but i don't think apple has a particularly bad track record about creating and then abandoning developer products.

only people who don’t distinguish between the Apple of the mid-1990s and the Apple of today think this

which isn’t to say things haven’t been deprecated and canceled and removed, but that’s platform evolution for you

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rjmccall posted:

like i know that's just an open invitation for people to jump in and make a million complaints about xcode and lldb, but those products are clearly not actually abandoned, they actually get a lot of development

I know, apple should really stop trying to make dev tools. It's clearly not their strong suite.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

You're right in that Apple doesn't have a reputation for abandonment like Google does. But stability, debugging experience, and cross-compatibility with other tools/ecosystem is what makes me want to avoid them.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
you understand this is just like a build-time code generator right

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
This config file language has insufficient stability, debugging experience, and cross-compatibility with other tools/ecosystem. It probably only supports a single external monitor, too. And I bet it has disabled OpenMP!

Edit: this would never have happened under Steve Jobs.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
brb, filing a radar to add openmp support to tkl just for you

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i wonder which is better: apple for people who work at apple, or google for people who work at google

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i wonder which is better: apple for people who work at apple, or google for people who work at google

everyone is too busy counting their figgies to care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
mostly i just figure this is a relatively complex language to implement code generators for and keep them compatible across four languages: https://pkl-lang.org/main/current/language-reference/index.html

and i don't really have any inherent reason to trust apple with open source other than, like, they do choose to open source way fewer things than other companies, so maybe that means they'll put slightly more effort into what they do release. i'm just inherently skeptical, got burned by the official google grpc/protobuf stuff having the worst loving typescript compilation imaginable and an entire ecosystem of third party tooling exists just to replace it, and protobuf is, like, 1/20th the complexity of this format