Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have a bunch of retro computers, and when hooking them up to Ethernet, sometimes their link negotiation (or configured speed) might force my gigabit switch to put all links into 100 Mbit mode, as far as I can tell.
Because of that, and possibly also just general network hygiene, I'm thinking that I should segment them off from the rest of the network.
(For example, for running things like SMB 1 and an NT 4 domain.)

Do anyone have general pointers for doing this? I might be able to use my old EdgeRouter X, which I mostly wrote off a few months ago, but maybe it can still work if I only give it a light load. I might also buy another switch or router instead, if the ERX won't cooperate.

My two primary ideas are these:

The problem I see with idea A is that I might need to set multiple routes on clients on the main network.
The problem I see with idea B is that I'd have to run another cable from the main router (a small Mikrotik) which is going to be rather annoying and might turn out ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Just put all the ports on your erx inside the same lan switch and none of them in wan. This will make it a dumb switch.

Oh oops you want to segment them. Well, it will segment the switching problems hopefully. Either way you can have them in their own vlan and layer3 network via your main router which will handle the routing for you. Your clients will just send things to their default gateway and that will know where the other network is.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 3, 2024

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The way to get good wireless connectivity is to use multiple PoE-powered APs, tune down the transmit power so that it only covers the area that it needs to, then use 802.11r fast BSS transition to roam devices between the APs - and the consumer market has at least two good options for this that're cheap enough that it's no more expensive than a mesh solution.

As nice as that sounds, it’s a bit too complicated for me. I really just need a plug and play system that gives me good coverage around the house. I’d really like wired Ethernet ports around the place, but unfortunately that wasn’t available in this build.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

i wanted to learn how to terminate network cables if/when i move my office upstairs and have a bunch of network drops installed so i bought a crimper and some rj-45 jacks and nipped off all of the ends of the variously different patch cables that make up my network rack and got to work. it was super fiddly and tedious at first but after the 10th jack or so it got to be kinda zen like! it all still looks like poo poo but at least its a little neater.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Patch and installation cables are different. Patch cables have stranded conductors while installation cables have solid core conductors. Don't try to use patch cable between sockets.

Also don't make your own patch cables, it's almost never worth it. Just buy pre-made.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 4, 2024

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

edit: that was dumb.

it seemed like the cables I was crimping were solid core but they were all different brands so the experience was kinda here or there to say the least. is there a brand of wire people like the best? I went the easy way and bought a Klein crimper that uses pass-through connectors, is that going to work for the stuff that gets run through my house eventually?

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 4, 2024

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
If you mean is the crimper and connector going to work, when running cable in walls you run to a keystone that either uses a punch down tool or tooless. You’d only crimp if you hate yourself.

Or a low voltage contractor who normally doesn’t work with Ethernet and you want to milk labor costs as much as possible.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kibner posted:

I use a mesh system for my mom's house because her house is not wired at all (aside from the one single room that the modem sits in). She only needs enough speed to watch Netflix. She is also on a fixed retirement income so getting the house wired up is not really an option.

I got her a 2nd gen Eero Pro as the main router and then a few of those 2nd gen Eero wall-plug APs that double as night lights.
Yeah, there are use-cases where it makes sense - but just because someone who knows what they're doing can get away with something, doesn't mean it should be the go-to recommendation, if that makes sense?

nielsm posted:

I have a bunch of retro computers, and when hooking them up to Ethernet, sometimes their link negotiation (or configured speed) might force my gigabit switch to put all links into 100 Mbit mode, as far as I can tell.
Because of that, and possibly also just general network hygiene, I'm thinking that I should segment them off from the rest of the network.
(For example, for running things like SMB 1 and an NT 4 domain.)

Do anyone have general pointers for doing this? I might be able to use my old EdgeRouter X, which I mostly wrote off a few months ago, but maybe it can still work if I only give it a light load. I might also buy another switch or router instead, if the ERX won't cooperate.

My two primary ideas are these:

The problem I see with idea A is that I might need to set multiple routes on clients on the main network.
The problem I see with idea B is that I'd have to run another cable from the main router (a small Mikrotik) which is going to be rather annoying and might turn out ugly.
Like H110Hawk said, using VLAN for segmentation and just sticking to switching is perfectly fine.

Arson Daily posted:

i wanted to learn how to terminate network cables if/when i move my office upstairs and have a bunch of network drops installed so i bought a crimper and some rj-45 jacks and nipped off all of the ends of the variously different patch cables that make up my network rack and got to work. it was super fiddly and tedious at first but after the 10th jack or so it got to be kinda zen like! it all still looks like poo poo but at least its a little neater.
Get a pass-through crimping tool, it makes making Ethernet cables with RJ45 connectors super easy - I have a VDV226-110 from Klein Tools that a friend gave me several years back, when she was visiting.

Interestingly, that very crimp tool showed up in C Lab Retro's latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5dsq16-d_I&t=2128s

Yes, he's using installation cable, and for a T1 connection - don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough! :black101:
Just don't forget the boots

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I always worry when I cut the ends off of the the pass through RJ45 heads that the exposed copper is going to get dirty or short or something years later. I don't know if that's actually a risk though.

The best ones I found had a little plastic alignment insert that you prepped the termination into before slotting it into the head and making the crimp.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I always worry when I cut the ends off of the the pass through RJ45 heads that the exposed copper is going to get dirty or short or something years later. I don't know if that's actually a risk though.

The best ones I found had a little plastic alignment insert that you prepped the termination into before slotting it into the head and making the crimp.

It's not. If you manage to get a piece of bare conductive material across the wires while it's in a network jack it will fall off when you take it out to troubleshoot. Thus re-seating the cable will solve it.

You will never have this problem.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

It's not. If you manage to get a piece of bare conductive material across the wires while it's in a network jack it will fall off when you take it out to troubleshoot. Thus re-seating the cable will solve it.

You will never have this problem.
I once had fixing a jack-in by re-seating be a plot-point when I was DMing a cyberpunk TTRPG, because the player rolled a natural failure on a skill-check during an intense combat scene.
It took the player nearly half an hour of rootcausing to figure it out, while the team spent time fighting waves of enemies that were calculated to not be too challenging but still make them feel like they were under pressure.

I knew I'd found a good group of players, when they were all excited about the dumbest possible reason I could think of :byoscience:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I tried switching one of my LAN connections to my Asus RT-AXE7800's 2.5g WAN/LAN1 port in advance of possibly getting a double hardwire WAN connection (assuming they support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad) for 2g/1g. The aggregation would use LAN2 and the 1g WAN/LAN1 port. I have two 1g LAN connections, both of which run up to my patch panel, into the walls, and into gigabit dumb switches (one Linksys at my desk, one TP-Link at my home theatre). If I set the primary WAN port to be the 1g WAN/LAN1 and change that Linksys uplink at the 2.5g WAN/LAN1 port, the XBox on the TP-Link (LAN3/1g uplink to the Asus) refuses to see my Plex server hosted on the desktop behind the Linksys. Everything else works just fine for the individual machines (internet, etc).

Is this a possible firmware bug, or am I running into a situation where that 2.5 port is not going to play nice with a 1g switch somewhere else? Do home routers do something weird with the dual LAN/WAN ports where they aren't on the same layer 2?

The only thing in my house that can even do 2.5g is my desktop, and someday soon I want to add a NAS. I know I can upgrade the 1g switch at my desk to 2.5g, but a 2g WAN connection is kind of wasted if I'm going to run into a 1g bottleneck leaving the router. Is my only option to put a 2.5g switch in the closet with the Asus router, uplink at the 2.5g WAN/LAN1, then have the two LAN links go back out to my patch panel and off to new 2.5g switches everywhere? Do I need to worry this is all a waste if my walls are only Cat5e (this is a small condo, so the runs are probably 25-50ft)?

Sorry if that's confusing; I can break out Visio if it's not clear.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 6, 2024

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Get a pass-through crimping tool, it makes making Ethernet cables with RJ45 connectors super easy - I have a VDV226-110 from Klein Tools that a friend gave me several years back, when she was visiting

thats the one i got! so far the pass through has saved me probably 8-10 re-crimps. im sure the connectors are more expensive but its a big headache reducer for sure

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are there any Ubiquiti alternatives that have a similar 'ecosystem' of devices that work together well and can be managed easily through software?

Back when the original dream machine came out (2019?) I bought a dream machine, Ubiquiti switch, and 3 in wall APs and everything has worked pretty well until a month ago when one of my APs started going in and out. I also realized all of our gear now supports 2.5 gig ethernet, wifi 6 (maybe 6e since our neighbors have a ton of networks), and home internet is going > 1gig so it seemed like a time for an upgrade. Unfortunately, it looks like getting Ubiquiti hardware that supports that stuff is going to be inhumanely expensive since you have to go for their enterprise gear.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm really hoping ubiquiti refreshes their product line soon because for trying to appeal to the prosumer crowd they are falling way behind in their offerings at each price point.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are there any Ubiquiti alternatives that have a similar 'ecosystem' of devices that work together well and can be managed easily through software?

Back when the original dream machine came out (2019?) I bought a dream machine, Ubiquiti switch, and 3 in wall APs and everything has worked pretty well until a month ago when one of my APs started going in and out. I also realized all of our gear now supports 2.5 gig ethernet, wifi 6 (maybe 6e since our neighbors have a ton of networks), and home internet is going > 1gig so it seemed like a time for an upgrade. Unfortunately, it looks like getting Ubiquiti hardware that supports that stuff is going to be inhumanely expensive since you have to go for their enterprise gear.

TPLink Omada, however they didn't have much in the >1gb last I looked either. They do have newer APs and such though.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Tp-link Omada is the only other competitor for a similar system (AIO and Meraki Go don’t really compete). Good news is tp-link has some 2.5 solutions that are relatively cheap. Though it it tp-link and there competitive advantage has always just been “the cheapest solution available.”

I’m actually pretty happy with the UXG-Lite and I’ve started deploying it as a cheaper solution where a UDM pro isn’t necessary. The lack on dual WAN is a shame but I was never going to have a secondary ISP for most of my locations anyways.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Mikrotik has The Dude to manage all your devices. Not quite as integrated but it's an option

https://mikrotik.com/thedude

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

FuzzySlippers posted:

There's a real price bump for decent ethernet speeds, but whilst hardware alternatives are slowly appearing, you will have to drastically lower expectations on the software front.

If Ubnt could ship something comparable to this, would be quite disruptive:

https://www.servethehome.com/insane...micron-sandisk/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Azhais posted:

Mikrotik has The Dude to manage all your devices. Not quite as integrated but it's an option

That is quite the interface in those screenshots.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MrMoo posted:

There's a real price bump for decent ethernet speeds, but whilst hardware alternatives are slowly appearing, you will have to drastically lower expectations on the software front.

If Ubnt could ship something comparable to this, would be quite disruptive:

https://www.servethehome.com/insane...micron-sandisk/

For $640 thats got features similar to the $600 USW-Pro-48 (48x 2.5GbE & 4x 10GbE) but lacks Layer 3 routing while adding the 2x 25GbE ports.

Both of UI's higher tier offerings offer something better - USW-EnterpriseXG-24 (24x 10Gbe & 2x 25GbE) or a USW-Enterprise-48-PoE (48x 2.5GbE PoE+ & 4x 10GbE)

For $640 instead of $600/$1300/$1600 you get - A lovely power supply, No Layer 3 VLANs, No PoE, 4x the power consumption, and by StH's benchmarks its unable to even reach its rated speeds?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subjunctive posted:

That is quite the interface in those screenshots.

It's really just a list of quick links to each devices management interface

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So Omada Hardware Controller is my dream machine equivalent? It looks like those only support 1gig and presumably it needs to be > 1gig since its routing even if the switch/ap is > 1gig. Is there a different one?

Otherwise, it looks like it'd work. There are a couple of Omada switches in the $100-$200 range that support SFP which apparently you can convert to 2.5 gig. They also have PoE wall/ceiling access points for < $200 that support 2.5/wifi 6 so that'd work too. 6E support jumps the price to > $400 APs but that may not be necessary.

I don't need everything to be 2.5gb but one thing I'm trying to accomplish is getting as fast as possible LAN speeds from my desktop computer to an access point on the other side of the house where I could stream VR. People do this with a dedicated LAN only router hooked up to their desktop pc but that's not feasible in my house layout. I hadn't actually thought about upgrading the network until Virtual Desktop started complaining about how my lowly WIFI5 is limiting me.

I've been out of the IT game for over 10 years at this point so if I'm going about this stupidly for a home network let me know. I just want something that is ultra stable and easy to manage once I get it setup and I'd like to get an upgraded setup for < $600 for router, switch, and 2 APs. If there's a cheaper chinese setup I'm cool with that as I've muddled through setup on cheap aliexpress stuff before with my limited chinese knowledge, but I couldn't figure out if any of it has easy centralized management.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

If that’s all you need then I don’t see why you need greater than 1 gig routing/ why a single vlan won’t work.

I also doubt you need speeds over 1g for virtual desktop? What AP do you have now and let’s start with that. Solution could just be as simple as reconfiguring the AP or replacing just the one device.

You can get a tp-link sg105 for $100-$170 (depending if you want PoE or not) and a 660 AP for $150. The router is going to set you back $400 and $100 for a controller (not required). $650 USD at cheapest solution.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 7, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Running stream vr games through virtual desktop at quest 3 resolutions is pretty heavy. My 4080 super can do the res and fps, but I gotta get it to the headset in another room. My network is struggling with it currently but people report it working well with WiFi 6. My understanding is that 1gig ethernet struggles to feed wifi 6 properly for local network traffic.

I also figure if I’m bothering to upgrade the network equipment I might as well future proof as much as possible with the over 1 gig ethernet support.

Currently I’m running a dream machine, big ubi 1 gig switch, and 3 in wall wifi 5 APs. They are all connected by cat6.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 7, 2024

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The inwalls are pretty basic AP with only 2x2 WiFi 5. The little information I could find on the meta says that any link speed below 866 is going to give a warning, so any time you don’t have the strongest signal possible on one of those APs it’s going to happen.

I totally believe that people have better experiences with 6E as the 6ghz is way less populated and less devices will connect to your AP on that band. I’m not saying don’t upgrade if you want to, but I also think just adding another AP connected to a secondary port on an ac wall and dedicated the SSID/band to the meta, or replacing the closet ac wall with a 6E AP is going to work just as well without replacing everything.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cyks posted:

Tp-link Omada is the only other competitor for a similar system (AIO and Meraki Go don’t really compete). Good news is tp-link has some 2.5 solutions that are relatively cheap. Though it it tp-link and there competitive advantage has always just been “the cheapest solution available.”

I’m actually pretty happy with the UXG-Lite and I’ve started deploying it as a cheaper solution where a UDM pro isn’t necessary. The lack on dual WAN is a shame but I was never going to have a secondary ISP for most of my locations anyways.
That's my only major criticism - they desperately need more 10G solutions, including more SFP+ - even a brand new device like the ER7212PC comes with only a 1G SFP port.

Azhais posted:

This is just an automated diagram editor, isn't it? Not to say that that isn't useful, but like with all of these, there's no generic vendor-neutral way of devices identifying to each other - so inevitably, this means you need your own diagram editor anyway, no matter if the software is from Mikrotik, TP-Link, or Ubiquiti, if you don't have an entire network from one vendor.

The whole idea of Unifi/Omada is to centrally manage multiple devices, with the option to extend it to multiple sites.
For example, branch offices can be managed from the HQ, with the entire network connected via site-to-site VPN, while either at a branch office or at the HQ.

FuzzySlippers posted:

So Omada Hardware Controller is my dream machine equivalent? It looks like those only support 1gig and presumably it needs to be > 1gig since its routing even if the switch/ap is > 1gig. Is there a different one?
The software for the controller, like Unifi, is just Java+MongoDB - so the small hardware controller is just a small ARM box, just like the Ubiquiti Butt Key.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Is there a better thread for posting hosed up router configs and getting feedback than this one? I just jumped into the deep end of Mikrotik, and I'm over my head.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Is there a better thread for posting hosed up router configs and getting feedback than this one? I just jumped into the deep end of Mikrotik, and I'm over my head.

There is a Mikrotik thread.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I'm moving soon and I need to set up a wireless network for the first time in 7-8 years. It's for an 1100 square foot apartment, two laptops, two phones, and an AppleTV. I want something simple and reliable, that won't need to be rebooted every other month or whenever a neighbor sets up a new network. The complex is kind of low and spread out so I'm hopeful there won't be too much interference. Up front cost isn't an issue, but I don't want to pay any ongoing fees for dubious "features" or cloud-based services. My partner might prefer something with internal antennas, and honestly, so would I.

I miss the days when an AirPort Express met all our needs :( so, I guess a spiritual successor to that, if one exists.

Any suggestions? What else do I need to consider for this?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
That use case screams Nest Wifi or Eero to me. App-managed, automatic security updates, vendors have bug bounty programs. They're my default recommendation at this point for anyone that doesn't want to janitor IOT devices into a different vlan. Nest WiFis have been as low as $79. Eero 6s are $89.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

A decently placed AP should be sufficient for a 1100 sq ft space. Hell it might be worth just sticking with the ISP provided if there is one.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's worth a shot, but my 1300 ft plaster and lathe house demands many!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I have a ~1330sqft single story house with standard studs and drywall and a single centrally located ceiling mount AP covers it well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

gloom posted:

I'm moving soon and I need to set up a wireless network for the first time in 7-8 years. It's for an 1100 square foot apartment, two laptops, two phones, and an AppleTV. I want something simple and reliable, that won't need to be rebooted every other month or whenever a neighbor sets up a new network. The complex is kind of low and spread out so I'm hopeful there won't be too much interference. Up front cost isn't an issue, but I don't want to pay any ongoing fees for dubious "features" or cloud-based services. My partner might prefer something with internal antennas, and honestly, so would I.

I miss the days when an AirPort Express met all our needs :( so, I guess a spiritual successor to that, if one exists.

Any suggestions? What else do I need to consider for this?

IMHO if you want the spiritual descendant to the AirPort Extreme Base Station, maybe the Amplifi might be what you need.

https://amplifi.com/

The company that makes the Amplifi was started by one of Apple's own wireless engineers; he discovered that Apple was using underpowered components in its WiFi circuitry and when he went to his bosses with this info, and said he could improve on their product, so they basically ignored him.

He then started working on ways to address the problem and developed networking equipment right in his own apartment. In 2005 he left Apple to start Ubiquiti with his life savings, about $30,000. Today Ubiquiti makes 1.7 billion annually and is a respected networking provider.

Ubiquiti's products seem to follow the same design principles that Apple products do with excellent packaging and simple product construction, but packing lots of features / power within.

$379 might be a bit much for 802.11ac, but the Amplifi is literally an upgraded AEBS with a quad core CPU running at double the speed of the original, an LCD screen, and an antenna that looks nearly the same as the 1st generation AEBS (if you ever opened it up.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/adamjezek98/status/1755479979528204435

https://twitter.com/adamjezek98/status/1756328742777950692

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap cable tester. My attic AP is like dropping packets for what appears to be a few milliseconds every few seconds and I'm thinking its probably the cable run since all the Unifi diagnostics show nothing wrong. I could probably borrow the Fluke Microscanner from work, but was thinking of just getting one of my own.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This is awesome.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

M_Gargantua posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap cable tester. My attic AP is like dropping packets for what appears to be a few milliseconds every few seconds and I'm thinking its probably the cable run since all the Unifi diagnostics show nothing wrong. I could probably borrow the Fluke Microscanner from work, but was thinking of just getting one of my own.

Anything that’s IP aware will cost an arm and a leg, just borrow the fluke from work.

(There is also Pockethernet but I don’t think you can impulse buy it on Amazon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Binary Badger posted:

Today Ubiquiti makes 1.7 billion annually and is a respected networking provider.

One of these things is true!