Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think Etsy has to be the most openly hostile experience from a site that I actually would like to not suck poo poo.

Annoying orange number
Click on user icon
Go down to reviews and select
Input five stars into one of the review fields
Popups giving you the review stars again as well as, what did you like, would you recommend
Click next
Item Quality, Shipping, Customer Service
Review field
You cannot skip the review field and so I leave.

I get that reviews are important to stores, but gently caress that. Etsy's search is also incredibly lovely. I think you use to be able to google poo poo but now google seems to prefer to just give you etsy's awful search results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

That very well could be. The reality is that these services don't seem to have an incentive to actually make their software good for the end user since people have forgotten what user-focused software looks like. Even when it's a service you pay for, the software *still* is antagonistic toward it's user base. So, you're probably right here because the only other option here is that they just don't care, but since we moved from Google Music (which was at least OK) to Youtube Music (which is godawful), I think it's fair to assume you are at least adjacent to the goals of Google here.

This is probably the worst part of everything, that regarding your users as wallets to be shuffled from ad space to ad space, rather than people you are providing a service, makes it so most things don't even work well anymore, and no one is motivated to change it bc making it difficult is the point. the longer you have to spend on their dumb platform figuring poo poo out, the longer you're interacting with it, the more they can foist those metrics to investors as 'engagement'.

Every service wants to claim they've got their users attention, so they can sell it along, but they don't care how they get it.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 7, 2024

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Duck and Cover posted:

I think Etsy has to be the most openly hostile experience from a site that I actually would like to not suck poo poo.

Annoying orange number
Click on user icon
Go down to reviews and select
Input five stars into one of the review fields
Popups giving you the review stars again as well as, what did you like, would you recommend
Click next
Item Quality, Shipping, Customer Service
Review field
You cannot skip the review field and so I leave.

I get that reviews are important to stores, but gently caress that. Etsy's search is also incredibly lovely. I think you use to be able to google poo poo but now google seems to prefer to just give you etsy's awful search results.

Isn't Etsy just a bunch of low effort dropshippers these days?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Etsy still leads on artist storefronts bc of the search function, tho more and more people do this thing where they list their stuff on etsy but then have big banners that say USE MY WEBSITE so that you won't check out via Etsy. The fees it takes are brutal.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Coxswain Balls posted:

USB-C audio dongles can vary in having the DAC built in, or by using the DAC of the device it's hooked up to and passing the analog signal through. The Apple USB-C dongle is apparently really good for $10, but for some weird reason when it's connected to Android devices the volume is really muted. It's easy to fix with a config change, but your phone needs to be rooted to do that (which is stupid).

"for some reason", hmm I wonder if it's related at all to Apple's deliberate ongoing strategy to make everything about their walled garden worse whenever an Android product is allowed to touch it

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

No but etsy search makes it sure seem that way sometimes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Real privileged whine but:

Jesus gently caress dealing with the IRS as a dual citizen abroad is a goddamn nightmare. God forbid I leave the US and have a pension, will it be taxed who knows!!!!! Obtuse AND contradictory information thank you IRS

Oh what’s that I want to maybe invest, maybe try to find a way to potentially own my own home or buy a car or have any secure financial future as a kinda middle class schmuck? lol, lmao, as if a bank will touch me (thanks FATCA), and if they do you better invest in the right thing or you’re taxed once again to high Heaven.

Glad the US and literally only Eritrea pull this tax poo poo and most countries can blow off Eritrea.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

steinrokkan posted:

You are forgetting people trying to pay off their 3D Printer/ CNC/ vinyl cutter.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Etsy sucks for anyone who doesn't have a huge social media following to advertise to already and it's generally openly hostile to anyone who doesn't have that pre-existing market to sell to, e.g. you have to pay just to list an item for sale (because the chances of a non-established Etsy store selling anything are so low and they want to make money even off of failed ventures). And it has been SEO gamed so hard that the search sucks for new sellers and it's virtually impossible for them to succeed. Plus then it takes huge fees (generally about 5x what you'd pay for a card processing fee on your own website, totaling about 10% of the sale price). It's a really bad platform for anyone who didn't get in on it in the first couple years.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 7, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Was just in Vegas over the weekend.

I can't really understand how people vacation there and come out less stressed than they arrived. It's like a giant airport mall with the monetization of a gacha game, and that's without even considering the gambling at all. Everytime I found something fun, they raised the price and forced me to leave. Playing craps, winning some and losing some, having fun but lol time to raise the minimum bet so you have 30 minutes to pay more or gently caress off. We were at a strip club, and despite the fact they we were paying for stuff, it wasn't enough and one of the girls kicked out my friends while mid-dance because she wasn't personally getting any money.

And through it all, they're cutting corners and trying to give you the bare minimum for the max price. Got charged 60 dollar cover each to go into a club that only had 1 of 3 floors in operation and the DJ loving sucked. Our room at the hotel didn't even have blinds so the lights of the city and the sun kept us up. Buffets all closed at 3pm with no dinner service, and this was in multiple places, no explanation given. The Super Bowl's in town, you don't matter.

It's like through it all the message was: You're spending money, but it isn't enough, you need to give us more, so cater to us or get the gently caress out of our face. You're here to serve us and if you step out of line the hundreds of cameras will spawn dozens of heavily armed men to deal with you. There's no give to anything, you will pay high prices and we will give you as little as we possibly can. It was my bachelor party, nobody gave a gently caress, not even one little token to that effect. I assume this is not the case for bachelorette groups.

We're swinging through again for the honeymoon, and I'm trying to get that part of the trip cancelled now because I found the city so stifling and aggressive and stressful. She assures me it'll be better because I'll have her with me, but I really don't want to support a place that's like "we'll treat you ok, if you're a woman, because we can monetize your presence" and everyone else is on "you need to make it worth it to us to tolerate your presence".

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

It's not, but their algorithm is very sensitive about what it likes and doesn't like, and in my experience legitimate sellers are likely to be delisted or listed farther down than illegitimate resellers who are usually managed by someone who is aware of or actively manipulating the algo.

I had this issue a few years back where someone I worked with was selling hand-cast pendants but a mass manufacturer on Alibaba had copied some of their designs and resellers were getting listed much, much higher than her original designs, even when explicitly searching her product names. The "fix" we found was to take all new pictures for her items because resellers were stealing her pictures (even for the Alibaba listing) and that results in her being ranked lower. She now takes new product pictures every 6mos and it seems to fix it? But why would a legitimate seller do that? Seems backwards.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

skooma512 posted:

Even the Mafia got shittier for no good reason.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

steinrokkan posted:

Unfortunately as a working artist myself, its still one of the best places for me to put my artwork for sale with out having to make my full own website / shopify / whatever. I do recheck the landscape about every year but nothing has really come around to being better with as much reach.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

It took a turn about 10-15 years back. All the dives got torn down and multi-billion dollar replacements went in. The $5 steak and eggs at 3am aren't around anymore. You used to be able to sit down at any slot and within a minute someone would be asking you what you wanted to drink to keep you seated and playing. They give no fucks anymore; play the games or not we dont care. The food is probably better overall, but you better take out a loan because everywhere is high end with the exception of In and Out who prides themselves on keeping their prices the same. The shopping experience used to have one or two high end stores like Rolex or Gucci that were meant for people who won to pay some of it back. Now all the stores are high end and they expect everyone to be buying insanely overpriced crap. We used to go out there once or twice a year through the 2000s, and slowed down in the teens, and now we don't go.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

mawarannahr posted:

I got a thinkpad t480 in 2018 that has a pop-out battery and thought, "surely they must still make this model or similar." welp,

Lenovo ThinkPad laptops: Online backlash over the removal of external battery options

Ahahaha oh man I used to do IT support for a company that was fully Lenovo AND GOD drat HAVE LENOVO'S LAPTOPS EVER GOTTEN WORSE

When we went fully WFH, everyone was given a Lenovo X1 Yoga gen 2 or gen 3 to use, and they worked really, really well. Despite being a few years old at that point, and the gen 2s being slightly underpowered, they were remarkably hardy little machines. They would often go through several owners, spanning years of usage before I even got there.

Then came the gen 4. It certainly was a powerhouse for office use, and they undeniably looked sleeker with their aluminum cases rather than the black plastic cases of the gen 2 and 3 models, but you know what else comes with switching to aluminum cases? Dents. If it were just that, it'd merely be annoying, but they frequently suffered from tons of fan issues that would throttle the CPU to a snail's pace. They were also prone to BIOS issues and unrecoverable bluescreening that required them to be sent back to us for a reimage. It was a lot of extra work to do all the additional reimages, packing, shipping, etc., so when the gen 6 came out, the higher-ups made the call to upgrade again.

Big. Mistake.

You want to talk USB-C issues? Buddy, I could tell you stories that'd turn your hair white. Within the first 2 months of service, we started getting the first reports of the laptops not charging. We sent out like 200 gen 6s in the initial wave (mostly to VIPs, rainmakers, and upper management types. By 6 months into deployment, I'd estimate close to a quarter of them had to be shipped back--not to us in IT, but to Lenovo.

None of the fixes Lenovo rolled out made a bit of difference. And we had ordered another thousand of these, which were being shipped to us in waves for distribution to employees. And the turnaround on a shipped laptop was almost two weeks in an ideal scenario.

I left the company shortly thereafter, but Jesus Christ almighty that sucked. Every single upgrade was a downgrade. You ever been chewed out by a high-powered attorney who makes the company millions per year and has argued cases in front of the Supreme Court? I have. Three times. Sorry sir/ma'am for your third computer dying within six months. Lenovo sucks. Sorry. Maybe you could sue them?

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I buy homemade candg and baked good from Etsy. There's some really great stuff on there that you can't get anywhere else. Just use it as an online farmer's market.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

It took a turn about 10-15 years back. All the dives got torn down and multi-billion dollar replacements went in. The $5 steak and eggs at 3am aren't around anymore. You used to be able to sit down at any slot and within a minute someone would be asking you what you wanted to drink to keep you seated and playing. They give no fucks anymore; play the games or not we dont care. The food is probably better overall, but you better take out a loan because everywhere is high end with the exception of In and Out who prides themselves on keeping their prices the same. The shopping experience used to have one or two high end stores like Rolex or Gucci that were meant for people who won to pay some of it back. Now all the stores are high end and they expect everyone to be buying insanely overpriced crap. We used to go out there once or twice a year through the 2000s, and slowed down in the teens, and now we don't go.

Once they closed the IP on the Strip, Vegas became a lovely Disneyworld. I still end up there 1-2x a year for work, which makes the absurd restraint prices slightly better, but otherwise I am at the convention, out with customers at a meal, or hiding in my room.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Animal-Mother posted:

Even the Mafia got shittier for no good reason.

I almost wish it was still the mafia and not cybernetic capitalism.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
For all the reasons mentioned, Vegas's appeal has vanished. I was there once around 2007 and even then I *kinda* liked it (and I just turned 21, so maybe that was part of it), but now I have disposable income and could actually drop money there and I have negative desire to even show up. This is all before the insane costs are considered.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
vegas has always been lovely

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MrTargetPractice posted:

I buy homemade candg and baked good from Etsy. There's some really great stuff on there that you can't get anywhere else. Just use it as an online farmer's market.

Farmers markets are infested with people who buy produce from the grocery store and resell it at a markup so yeah the comparison is apt.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Vegas is a great place to fly into for cheap, rent a car for cheap, and then take that rental car way the gently caress out of town to the world class parks of Nevada, Utah, and Arizona.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

thathonkey posted:

vegas has always been lovely

Correct. I wrote it off in the mid/late 90s. I blamed my social anxieties for disliking it, but maybe not. I've just never seen the appeal I guess

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

Cerekk posted:

Farmers markets are infested with people who buy produce from the grocery store and resell it at a markup so yeah the comparison is apt.

They don't sell delious pumpik rolls at the store!

Or do they? :(

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Vegas had a high point from like 2002-2012 where the theme park all-ages stuff of the 90s had failed and was being ripped out but there wasn't enough traffic for all of the hotels so you had, like, a crust surrounding the Good Part of the Strip where hotels had to rent store space to weird local businesses so they could keep the lights on. I remember basically commuting between the "bad" hotels with amazing little restaurants tucked into the corners of mostly dead indoor strip malls and the "good" hotels to go to insane shows like Cirque and Absinthe before it got popular. In the off season even huge show tickets were like $30 at the Tickets Tonight booth.

Back then Fremont Street was super-trashy with old Vegas "might win a car at slots, might get shot, maybe both" vibes. Last time I went (2016?) Fremont was already transforming into weaponized scam bullshit and the entire strip was exploding with top-end bullshit like the on-strip Ferrari dealer at the Aria. Sad it's continued the decline, I hope Secret Pizza is still around.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cerekk posted:

Vegas is a great place to fly into for cheap, rent a car for cheap, and then take that rental car way the gently caress out of town to the world class parks of Nevada, Utah, and Arizona.

We've done this a few times. It's a blast if you like all the amazing parks.

If you do go to Vegas for a week, do get a rental, and do set a day or two aside to visit the nearby parks. It's like being on Mars. If you leave in the morning, you can make it up to Zion and spend the day hiking and be back at night.

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012

teen witch posted:

Real privileged whine but:

Jesus gently caress dealing with the IRS as a dual citizen abroad is a goddamn nightmare. God forbid I leave the US and have a pension, will it be taxed who knows!!!!! Obtuse AND contradictory information thank you IRS

Oh what’s that I want to maybe invest, maybe try to find a way to potentially own my own home or buy a car or have any secure financial future as a kinda middle class schmuck? lol, lmao, as if a bank will touch me (thanks FATCA), and if they do you better invest in the right thing or you’re taxed once again to high Heaven.

Glad the US and literally only Eritrea pull this tax poo poo and most countries can blow off Eritrea.

Don't forget the $10000 fines if you make pretty much any mistake on your international information returns or file them late... Good luck figuring out which ones you're supposed to file, though, since even the official IRS guide for taxpayers abroad doesn't mention half of them. :911:

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Philthy posted:

We've done this a few times. It's a blast if you like all the amazing parks.

If you do go to Vegas for a week, do get a rental, and do set a day or two aside to visit the nearby parks. It's like being on Mars. If you leave in the morning, you can make it up to Zion and spend the day hiking and be back at night.

side note Valley of Fire State Park is absolutely incredible and doesn't really have any crowds because it's not a national park (unlike Zion which has gotten shittier for no* reason)

* the reason is that it's also incredible but five million people a year have figured that out and now you need reservations to get in

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

skooma512 posted:

I can't really understand how people vacation there and come out less stressed than they arrived. It's like a giant airport mall with the monetization of a gacha game, and that's without even considering the gambling at all. Everytime I found something fun, they raised the price and forced me to leave. Playing craps, winning some and losing some, having fun but lol time to raise the minimum bet so you have 30 minutes to pay more or gently caress off. We were at a strip club, and despite the fact they we were paying for stuff, it wasn't enough and one of the girls kicked out my friends while mid-dance because she wasn't personally getting any money.

And through it all, they're cutting corners and trying to give you the bare minimum for the max price. Got charged 60 dollar cover each to go into a club that only had 1 of 3 floors in operation and the DJ loving sucked. Our room at the hotel didn't even have blinds so the lights of the city and the sun kept us up. Buffets all closed at 3pm with no dinner service, and this was in multiple places, no explanation given. The Super Bowl's in town, you don't matter.

It's like through it all the message was: You're spending money, but it isn't enough, you need to give us more, so cater to us or get the gently caress out of our face. You're here to serve us and if you step out of line the hundreds of cameras will spawn dozens of heavily armed men to deal with you. There's no give to anything, you will pay high prices and we will give you as little as we possibly can. It was my bachelor party, nobody gave a gently caress, not even one little token to that effect. I assume this is not the case for bachelorette groups.

We're swinging through again for the honeymoon, and I'm trying to get that part of the trip cancelled now because I found the city so stifling and aggressive and stressful. She assures me it'll be better because I'll have her with me, but I really don't want to support a place that's like "we'll treat you ok, if you're a woman, because we can monetize your presence" and everyone else is on "you need to make it worth it to us to tolerate your presence".

nice incel rhetoric at the end there bro

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

silicone thrills posted:

Unfortunately as a working artist myself, its still one of the best places for me to put my artwork for sale with out having to make my full own website / shopify / whatever. I do recheck the landscape about every year but nothing has really come around to being better with as much reach.

Yeah there's really not a suitable competitor to Etsy. And even though search is dog-poo poo to what it used to be, it's still better than trying to surf social media to find individual artists and buying things singly from their websites. Especially since hash tags are broken on half the social media sites nowadays.

I collect stickers and Etsy is still the best place for me to find new stickers and discover new artists, and then all my orders are in one place to track, and I can always look up where I got something from if someone is asking me. Plus it makes contacting sellers super easy if something my order goes awry. And, if someone bails and never sends me my poo poo, Etsy gives me my money back. I hate that I like it, but I do :/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I stopped using it because the people I bought from abandoned it and because it was too much of a hassle searching for things, even filtering by Country. lovely Chinese vendors will just have storefronts that say they are located in your country.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, I do always have to click through and do a little research on the store now to check if they are a real artist with an online presence, and also that their work is their own/not AI bc enough people set up social media for their art theft/AI crap. There's a whole new rash of AI art storefronts, ugh.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Professor Shark posted:

I stopped using it because the people I bought from abandoned it and because it was too much of a hassle searching for things, even filtering by Country. lovely Chinese vendors will just have storefronts that say they are located in your country.

Since Brexit, Etsy would be far more useful if you could filter by "ships from EU customs area". I don't care if the seller's on the continent of Europe, I want to know if I'm going to have to pay to import it!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hire an accountant to do your taxes if you are exposed to risk like that

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i hired an accountant to fix my hosed up taxes and he said it was done (after I sent him all sorts of poo poo) and then i got mail from the IRS showing no changes and my accountant moved back to Qatar

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My buddy thought he’d found a wizard of an accountant, then he got a $70k bill from the government and now he’s super Conservative lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A bill for past due taxes or fines ?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sounds like I'll continue to guess at my taxes. Thanks everyone!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

euphronius posted:

A bill for past due taxes or fines ?

I think it was both. Last I heard the wizard told him the government was full of poo poo and they were appealing, but he’s made reference to having to adjust his budget around paying them back, so I don’t think it worked.

Pierre Pollieve, Bitcoin enthusiast and potentially our next Prime Minister, will surely fix things though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

purplestuffedworm posted:

Don't forget the $10000 fines if you make pretty much any mistake on your international information returns or file them late... Good luck figuring out which ones you're supposed to file, though, since even the official IRS guide for taxpayers abroad doesn't mention half of them. :911:

Feeling increasingly vindicated for my decision to just not file taxes while I was abroad. How're they gonna know how much money you're making?