Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

the funniest "we rendered these cutscenes early in dev" thing in a game to me will always be vexx for gamecube where halfway through the game you get a cg cutscene where someone is like vexx, you must go find the four waymark towers and activate them to thwart the bad guy's scheme. none of this happens in the game part of vexx. there are no towers. they cut the towers from the game months before launch but they couldn't afford to re-render the cutscene. these are the perils, of cg cutscenes
drat, Vexx not only didn't have time for coins or rings, he couldn't even fit those towers in his schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Also it has a time limit all the time!

yeah it rules :hai:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

1. Orphan is, prior to fusing with Bart, literally defenseless. Like some other Fal'cie it isn't a combat wombat, it's just something that maintains Cocoon. The only reason that it hasn't been killed before was because the Cocoon Fal'Cie literally can't. It's not something they can do. It is against their program. Humans can absolutely kill it but why would they in normal situations, they had to be manipulated. Orphan is only combat capable after they kill Bart in front of it and he throws the last of his body into Orphan's pool as he dies.

2. They heroes could not have turned around and walked away because Bart was still there. They could have shrugged and walked away but the end result is that nothing actually changes, Bart starts a new plan. They went to kill Bart because their choice was kill Bart or not kill Bart and then he does this poo poo again. They never planned to fight Orphan until they had absolutely no choice and even then they refused to act or do it until they revived from their corpse state through the power of the human spirit to create miracles and decided to bet on that because the other choice was dying and then Orphan doing the same poo poo as Bart.

Like maybe you forget the scene where Vanille and Fang are literally being tortured into killing Orphan? They didn't go WE ARE GONNA KILL ORPHAN WOO, they resisted it until the heroes pull a friendship humanity miracle out of their rear end. A thing that is previously established as possible and is the stated reason l'cie exist in the first place. "Have you ever paused to consider our reason for making l'Cie of men? We fal'Cie are crafted for a single purpose, and granted finite power to that end. With men it is not so. Men, dream, aspire, and through indomitable force of will achieve the impossible. Your power is beyond measure."

If you could show me the part in XIII where it is established what the XIII party does in the end is possible, I'd appreciate it. I don't think the supplied quote from the ending can be used as evidence of foreshadowing for the ending.

You admit outright they pulled everything out of their rear end, but then you try to justify it by saying it was established beforehand. Those are incompatible statements. So I'd like to see the quote or scene even hinting at what happens in the ending is possible. If you can supply it, I will happily concede.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've not ever got to the endgame but I've never seen so many words posted about a game having to explain how it all makes sense you're just being stupid or deliberately ignorant if you don't follow, does make me think maybe the story isn't that well conveyed?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

No Dignity posted:

I've not ever got to the endgame but I've never seen so many words posted about a game having to explain how it all makes sense you're just being stupid or deliberately ignorant if you don't follow, does make me think maybe the story isn't that well conveyed?

people say this same stuff about ff8, a game where the plot is literally just "squall has depression and anxiety about being separated from the people he loves and his friends have to teach him that life is better when you embrace its transience and accept that there is warmth in the memories you leave behind, even if those too may one day be forgotten"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

If you could show me the part in XIII where it is established what the XIII party does in the end is possible, I'd appreciate it. I don't think the supplied quote from the ending can be used as evidence of foreshadowing for the ending.

You admit outright they pulled everything out of their rear end, but then you try to justify it by saying it was established beforehand. Those are incompatible statements. So I'd like to see the quote or scene even hinting at what happens in the ending is possible. If you can supply it, I will happily concede.

No, because you're literally ignoring the entire rest of the context of my statement and the context of the scene. It's genuinely exhausting because we've had this conversation 3 times now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

impatom literally didnt say that at all and you post like you're aiming for the gold medal in the getting shoved into a locker olympics.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

You're not actually reading the text of what Imp said to you, something you do with basically every thread you post in and also, from what i've seen, every bit of media you've consumed.

Please be normal.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

snow sucks because he’s the classic type of guy, “older boyfriend who’s a dirtbag with a motorcycle” except he’s also a dumbass with a hero complex

now let me be clear, these are also his charm points. he’s alright

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No, because you're literally ignoring the entire rest of the context of my statement and the context of the scene. It's genuinely exhausting because we've had this conversation 3 times now.

hooboy

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is Intergrade important enough to play before Rebirth? I never picked it up and just realized Rebirth is coming

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Is Intergrade important enough to play before Rebirth? I never picked it up and just realized Rebirth is coming

final fantasy 7 intergrade is not final fantasy 7 so you should probably know what happens in it before you play the direct sequel yes

idk, why would you not just play intergrade first anyways, it’s a fun game and it’s going to be cheaper than rebirth? this isn’t a trails situation where people try to tell you to do five games of assigned reading instead of just jumping with with cold steel 1

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Are you talking about Remake as a whole or just Intergrade?

As a whole: Yes, 100%.

Just the Yuffie part: It isn't like strictly necessary but stuff from it is going to be in Rebirth, they showed it in the trailer.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I can believe that the original FF13 plot was meant for a longer game cause despite rough issues Square always was able to push through rough patches and finish a game despite the challenges of working on new hardware. Surely it wouldn't be different this time

(Sadly it being the first HD Final Fantasy and also multi platform meant Square in fact couldn't push through the rough patches)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You can cruise through Intergrade in like 3 hours if you just want to see what the plot is.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I love disconnects between gameplay and story/cutscenes. BLACK and kill.switch are great examples.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Are you talking about Remake as a whole or just Intergrade?

As a whole: Yes, 100%.

Just the Yuffie part: It isn't like strictly necessary but stuff from it is going to be in Rebirth, they showed it in the trailer.
Yeah, just the Yuffie part. $15 for like 4 hours of gameplay sounded a bit iffy to me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you buy Rebirth on PSN at least, you get Intergrade for free under the Twin Pack they have for sale.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Harlock posted:

If you buy Rebirth on PSN at least, you get Intergrade for free under the Twin Pack they have for sale.
Ahh, sweet! I dunno how I missed the twin pack, my shop was defaulting to the regular pack which is just Rebirth alone.

Perfect that solves everything, thanks!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

I love disconnects between gameplay and story/cutscenes. BLACK and kill.switch are great examples.

black's cutscenes just being some stuff they got a guy on the 24 crew to record for them early in the morning before they started shooting for the show explains a lot

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

impatom literally didnt say that at all and you post like you're aiming for the gold medal in the getting shoved into a locker olympics.

quote:

Like maybe you forget the scene where Vanille and Fang are literally being tortured into killing Orphan? They didn't go WE ARE GONNA KILL ORPHAN WOO, they resisted it until the heroes pull a friendship humanity miracle out of their rear end. A thing that is previously established as possible and is the stated reason l'cie exist in the first place. "Have you ever paused to consider our reason for making l'Cie of men? We fal'Cie are crafted for a single purpose, and granted finite power to that end. With men it is not so. Men, dream, aspire, and through indomitable force of will achieve the impossible. Your power is beyond measure."

quote:

If you could show me the part in XIII where it is established what the XIII party does in the end is possible, I'd appreciate it

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 7, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that the thing you bolded as if it owns me proves me right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like how old are you. why do you post like this

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I like Leona Lewis, I think she has great vocals. Anyway I don't care about FF13 but I'm happy everyone is having fun discussing it with one another.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

If you really don't want to bother, Chip and Ironicus did a very exhaustive playthrough of FF7R including the Intergrade stuff and they even have a 'no commentary over cutscenes' version.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

The Colonel posted:

black's cutscenes just being some stuff they got a guy on the 24 crew to record for them early in the morning before they started shooting for the show explains a lot

Holy poo poo I didn't know that. That is amazing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know that. That is amazing.

Yeah they're straight up in the CTU interrogation room lol, it rules

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rascyc posted:

bewilderment posted:

If you really don't want to bother, Chip and Ironicus did a very exhaustive playthrough of FF7R including the Intergrade stuff and they even have a 'no commentary over cutscenes' version.

FFVIIR LP with No Cutscene Commentary
FFVIIR LP With Cutscene Commentary

Chip will probably be how I experience Rebirth, too.

I'm still kind of irritated he never did FFVII, though. He claimed at the start of FFVIIR he'd at least go through Midgar in the OG game but I don't think he ever did. I was subscribed to his channel at the time and for a long while after and never saw anything.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

NikkolasKing posted:

FFVIIR LP with No Cutscene Commentary
FFVIIR LP With Cutscene Commentary

Chip will probably be how I experience Rebirth, too.

I'm still kind of irritated he never did FFVII, though. He claimed at the start of FFVIIR he'd at least go through Midgar in the OG game but I don't think he ever did. I was subscribed to his channel at the time and for a long while after and never saw anything.

Probably because he went through the whole game with his wife. (I think they're married now? Not sure on the timing on the wedding.) Not exactly his normal kind of LP, but close enough that I expect he didn't want to do it again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
getting towards the end of xerd. got my last party member, a dragon named falco. he also functions as your airship. the funny value of xerd kinda falls off when the entire game becomes mazes though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the cool part is this maze dungeon has all of xerd's magic armor pieces scattered throughout it and you need all of them to get his magic sword

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also this game has a part where you just are expected to find a tiny island in the middle of nowhere. you are not given any directions. trying to find it without a guide means like. an hour of wandering an ocean with no landmarks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Guilty Gear Xerd

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I no longer remember FFXIII's plot because they have cutscene skip.

Which is different from Yaklad 8 where I never knew the plot because they have cutscene skip.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

I no longer remember FFXIII's plot because they have cutscene skip.

Which is different from Yaklad 8 where I never knew the plot because they have cutscene skip.

I’m still playing LAD 8: Wealth but why would you skip the cutscenes? Did you just mash through all the party chat stuff for the bonuses too?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I’m still playing LAD 8: Wealth but why would you skip the cutscenes? Did you just mash through all the party chat stuff for the bonuses too?

It causes Barudak physical pain to play anything besides lovely shovelware rpgs.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Barudak actually just wants to play dungeon crawlers but he ran out of those so now he plays other RPGs and ignores the plot

oh yeah that reminds me, go play Path of the Abyss, it's a cool low-budget dungeon RPG where you can freely build a party and then send them out to die a lot. It's machine translated but it's comprehensible enough and the dev is planning to get a real translation done eventually

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 7, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat the legend of xerd no densetsu.

here's the final boss theme, it's pretty good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK2kiJvhwPA

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the last dungeon is insane because your final party member is your mother in law, who has infinite party healing magic. group heals resurrect dead party members. if you make sure your wife has an abundance of her own group heal you literally cannot die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unfortunately i think xerd hits its peak at the whole giving birth to xerd and carrying baby xerd over to a magic spring to turn him into an adult so he can fight the demon lord with you, bit. there's one funny bit after that where you kill an impostor king and if you talk to the gate guards afterwards they're like "new king wanted" like they're advertising a job position. but mostly the game loses its weirder energy past that and just becomes a bad gameboy rpg