Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah it's not about reaction time, it's about the smoothness. When you've got over twice the number of frames being rendered as you quickly turn around, that helps you time and aim your shots quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Frames are nice and all but I care about picture quality and until recently nobody gave a poo poo. Well okay maybe they did but it was too expensive so they didn't bother. I had my last monitor for like 7+ years. I'll probably get a new monitor again next year as the technology is actually improving and maybe somebody will decide to stop putting lovely anti glare coatings on their nice looking oleds.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 7, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

None of this is true

let’s see what you got
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-reaction-time

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
High refresh rates being smoother doesn't mean they are a requirement to play games, even in FPSs. That's the whole of it. They're definitely *nicer* in the way a beginner at an instrument might enjoy a really fancy instrument, but they aren't required.

Devils Affricate posted:

You've either never played Fromsoft games or you've never played I Wanna Be the Guy

I've played both actually, sorry the world doesn't always line up to your headcanon lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The human eye can only perceive 24 frames per second anything higher is snake oil.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

DontMockMySmock posted:

just checking, what kinds of art are allowed to address serious issues?

architecture

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I've played both actually, sorry the world doesn't always line up to your headcanon lol

Nah you just said something dumb as poo poo and completely divorced from reality. Explain yourself if you want to be taken seriously.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I got off the hardware race when I played RDR2 on PC for the first time and it played at a locked 60fps on almost-maximum settings while looking like a painting in motion and I realized; most games are just optimized like loving trash and I'm just simply not going to buy badly optimized games anymore if it affects the gameplay (i.e Bg3/city sims etc get a pass because who cares how many frames they run at as long as it's playable)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Nah you just said something dumb as poo poo and completely divorced from reality. Explain yourself if you want to be taken seriously.

Not with that attitude geez. If you can't figure it out then you might be a little slow, sorry buddy. You've gotten really defensive and grouchy about this, and I didn't even say it was a bad thing. Maybe you should take a break from video game posting?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

can’t tell if ya’ll are too cowardly to do the ruler drop reaction test, or simply without the one required friend to make it happen

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Mario and Doom are basically the same game, don't @ me with your headcanon :smug:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Mario and Doom are basically the same game, don't @ me with your headcanon :smug:

that tracks.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

It wasn't always this way. Doom eternal can gently caress off with its platforming.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

The human eye can only perceive 24 frames per second anything higher is snake oil.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

The Doom mod 6 Golden Coins proves this irrefutably true

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Barudak posted:

The Doom mod 6 Golden Coins proves this irrefutably true

also this one https://batandy.itch.io/goldensouls

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I said don't @ me you dickwads

e: agree with buffbus on Doom Eternal though

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 7, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MarcusSA posted:

you can perceive higher it just won't improve your actual ability to play games any more than buying a stupid gaming chair or an rgb backlit keyboard will

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What are the recommended gaming chairs nowadays? I'm sick of sitting on a stack of magazines while playing PC games all day long.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Outpost22 posted:

What are the recommended gaming chairs nowadays? I'm sick of sitting on a stack of magazines while playing PC games all day long.

A throne made of melted Rock Band peripherals

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

MarcusSA posted:

That's why you have two, so you can keep up with your 50hz monitor

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

A decent office chair with lumbar support and all that crap.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vic posted:

Or how ray tracing makes some games look worse because the light behaves realistically.

Realistic lighting is my nemesis. It’s the worst thing to ever happen to games. You know why “light” and “dark” are synonyms for “good” and “bad” respectively in literally every human culture that has ever existed? Because things not being fully lit and unshadowed loving sucks. You think Shakespeare performed his plays with “realistic lighting”? gently caress no he lit that stage up so everyone could see the drat actors. It’s a sad world we live in where N64 and PS1 games with their jaggy and muddled squares have better visibility than games made on hardware 100 times more powerful. And all simply because the former just lit each object in the way that made the game most fun, instead how the dumb lantern said it should be.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

galagazombie posted:

Realistic lighting is my nemesis. It’s the worst thing to ever happen to games. You know why “light” and “dark” are synonyms for “good” and “bad” respectively in literally every human culture that has ever existed? Because things not being fully lit and unshadowed loving sucks. You think Shakespeare performed his plays with “realistic lighting”? gently caress no he lit that stage up so everyone could see the drat actors. It’s a sad world we live in where N64 and PS1 games with their jaggy and muddled squares have better visibility than games made on hardware 100 times more powerful. And all simply because the former just lit each object in the way that made the game most fun, instead how the dumb lantern said it should be.

What game has been made so dark as to be bad by raytracing?

Raytracing is beautiful. Everything should be raytraced. I wish real life was raytraced.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

galagazombie posted:

I mean, you could just add more light sources. That's what Shakespeare did.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Outpost22 posted:

get a regular computer/office chair
go to your local office supply store or ikea and sit in all the chairs there to find out which one likes your'e butt the most

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

When I die I want to make the death scream the guy character from ehrgeiz dungeon mode makes.

I tried to look up a clip and failed but like 3 people might remember.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

RDR2 came out like six years ago and GTA5 came out over 10 years ago

They sure did

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

When I die I want to make the death scream the guy character from ehrgeiz dungeon mode makes.

I tried to look up a clip and failed but like 3 people might remember.

I want to be killed as hard as the unnamed guy in the intro to the game Loaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSiUbbVgKyE&t=18s

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gotta have that gun drawn already :cmon:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Was Ehrgeiz the extremely janky fighting game with Sephiroth?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It was! The console version also had an extremely janky dungeon adventure where you could gather weapons, armor, materia and speculate on the wine futures market.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

A good example is modern facial hair where the hair is just a brown or black untextured polygon jutting out of a character's face that AO smooths over. Previously, the russians just used a pencil it was art assets of hand-painted textures which looked no worse, but admittedly costs time.

Hair and Fur is pretty hilarious because the way they usually do it always creates this effect that looks weird from so many of the angles you'll see on a curved organic surface covered in fur or hair, it looks like viva pinata or little pixelated diagonal MS Paintass lines that kind of layer like fur. When they just add more of em it looks less pinata-y and more like 90s hair crimping. Biomutant was full of the stuff.

I agree with "no-worse" because what you're describing and contemporary realism beards both look Bad. It's always going to be tricky because we are hairy apes and have more individual hairs than some models have triangles, and you can't just make the hairs bigger or add infinity more of the usual trick.

Stylization is where beards and hair in general can best be artistically cohesive. If it's just a solid think they can sculpt and paint and it matches everything else, great! Otherwise people are probably gonna need a lot of shoulder length max hair and some good five of clock shadow options.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

You only have 2 eyes so anything more than 2 still images is a waste

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm fine with 30 fps, come at me

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
People shouldn't bother with pixilated retro game styles for modern games, because it doesn't look right if it's not on an actual CRT TV or monitor and kind of looks worse.

The best looking 2D platformer that comes to mind is Rayman Legends and Origins, because they had some sort of art direction.

Although the ugliest retrostyler era was when there were just straight up flash games like Alien Homind and Castle Crashers.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Disco Pope posted:

People shouldn't bother with pixilated retro game styles for modern games, because it doesn't look right if it's not on an actual CRT TV or monitor and kind of looks worse.

That only applies if you design your sprites with CRT in mind. Pixelart can be beautiful on a crisp screen.

I hate whe the sprites and the environments are different resolutions. Like 32x32 sprite interacting with a 168x168 sprite of the same size. And then they wobble and stretch like in a flash game. And the background is just a photo with filters on it. And there are uneven pixels everywhere.

Also giant loving pixels. Looking at you, Minecraft.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm fine with 30 fps, come at me

i was also, until i experimented 60 fps and i cant go back to 30 anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

It was! The console version also had an extremely janky dungeon adventure where you could gather weapons, armor, materia and speculate on the wine futures market.

I can't believe I forgot the wine thing.