Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rebel Moon did great by all measurements last I heard, despite the twitter weirdos.

It had very high engagement but not in the sort of way where you'd expect any sort of sustainable success or people coming back for the sequel. Both the audience and critic scores for it were bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It did well as far is Netflix was concerned. The real test will be will the second part as well as the two directors cuts do well. Will people want to Snyder cut all over again?

I don’t know. Snyder cut was such a hyper specific thing which you can’t really replicate

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The cynical reason they’re doing two cuts is to keep it fresh in people’s heads in a way Netflix stuff usually doesn’t. They’re butting up against the usual ‘Netflix drop/gone from the public consciousness in a week’ problem.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s also Zack Snyder’s thing to release alternate cuts of his films. He’s done it for every film he’s done sans 300 and man of steel

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's just DLC but for movies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s a win-win for Netflix too, they’re essentially getting 4 movies of engagement for the price of 2!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But will people watch it besides Snyder fans?

It could be my bubble but I don’t think anyone besides Snyder fans liked rebel moon.

I watched it with Snyder fans and had to tap out halfway through lol

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
We're posting in the Snyder Capital of the Internet right now and I haven't seen a single positive word on it even on CineD.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Did you check the rebel moon thread bc the Snyder fans enjoyed it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I'm a Snyder fan and I didn't even watch it because Netflix is dumb

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mycot posted:

It's just DLC but for movies.

It did feel like an early access steam title.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I skipped it entirely because if they're going to release the "Real" version in like three months anyway I'm not going to waste time on the cut down one in the first place. And then the consensus was so bad that it'll have to be a marked difference for me to even bother with the Snydercut now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

The response was pretty tepid overall. There were definitely some people who liked it, and a few people who liked the beginning then felt the second half was cut to poo poo, and more than a few usual snyderheads who disliked it or only liked small bits. I haven't even watched it yet and i generally like his stuff

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be fair, that kinda did leave a huge obvious hole in the public consciousness that someone could probably fill.

It's a pretty proven pattern in pop culture, where a franchise's owners have hosed it up or abandoned it, then there's a morose fanbase up for grabs for the next best thing. Bonus points if you can get the original creators on board. Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, Rebel Moon, Death Stranding, even Palworld.

Hang on who does Palworld have?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I think Palworld was just an example of the franchise owner making GBS threads out low-effort tie-ins and a spiritual successor providing something fresh, rather than having any original creators.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

It’s also Zack Snyder’s thing to release alternate cuts of his films. He’s done it for every film he’s done sans 300 and man of steel

Zack does that because his movies tend to be long and the studio want them to be shorter for theaters. Which makes it weird that Netflix, who let Scorsese release a movie 5 hours long, tries to do the same thing

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The MSJ posted:

Zack does that because his movies tend to be long and the studio want them to be shorter for theaters. Which makes it weird that Netflix, who let Scorsese release a movie 5 hours long, tries to do the same thing

It's so that people can say the critic reviews are because they didn't see the real movie and you need to watch the 4 hour cut to have an opinion. And it's already working!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

No it's because they saw the #releaseTheSnydercut Twitter engagement and stupid suits said "oh let's do that"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just finished scavengers reign. That show loving ruled. Such an imaginative alien world. Anyway that's all. Goodbye.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The MSJ posted:

Netflix changed their mind. Snyder said in an interview that these days Netflix thinks that anything longer than 2 hours will dissuade viewers which is why he had to settle for two different cuts.

A dumb notion of course since folks will happily binge watch tv shows for far longer than that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/moana-2-disney-2024-release-date-1235901329/

Moana 2 coming November 27, 2024.

Adding to the OP

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wow that feels sudden.

Moana is so great. I'm pretty skeptical about a sequel.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
More sequels

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wittgen posted:

Wow that feels sudden.

I think the setting ends itself to more stories in a pretty natural way since the first movie ended with a sense of discovery and adventure rather than peace and quiet.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Wow that feels sudden.

It'll either be amazing or an amazing mess like Frozen 2. Like F2 it'll make money in spite of itself.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think it makes perfect sense they didn't announce that until today, because Disney had something else they had to also announced today and the two will surely tie in together:

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1755340465879101886
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1755341531005722944

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm so sick of every licensed game now just being a fortnite skin. It's such a boring way of doing it. I got all excited at seeing an ad for a My Hero Academia game, but then it was a loving fortnite season pass and was like "Uuuugh... of course it's not a real game, just DLC for a diffrent thing."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wittgen posted:

Wow that feels sudden.

I'm kinda surprised just because I figured since they're doing the live-action remake, they'd be committing to that style. To do both strikes me as weird. I'm sure the Rock's overjoyed though.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
it's allegedly a reworking of the first few episodes of the TV show they announced 4 years ago, which may have been scrapped (or this could be like with the Clone Wars movie/TV show)

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Moana 2: The Return of Jemaine

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ookiimarukochan posted:

it's allegedly a reworking of the first few episodes of the TV show they announced 4 years ago, which may have been scrapped (or this could be like with the Clone Wars movie/TV show)

Oh this is gonna be real bad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like the Atlantis sequel.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ookiimarukochan posted:

Oh gosh. This seems to be their new thing lately and it sucks. (Sometimes it goes the other direction like the Obi-wan show probably having been a movie at some point.) Moana deserves better, not that a sequel really has much potential either way.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Finally got around to watching Nimona, and what do you know, it was great. I appreciated how they were really varied and clever with the animation. The subway tile sequence was lovely. I think there was one somewhat rushed, whiplash inducing plot sequence, but it held together thematically. Quite funny too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZSywj-vkxA

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

It'll either be amazing or an amazing mess like Frozen 2. Like F2 it'll make money in spite of itself.

It's kinda amazing how Frozen 2 made a lot of money and no one seems to remember that it even was made. I work with kids and they love Let It Go but I have never once seen them singing a song from the sequel.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Space Cadet loves it and sings from it a lot but that's because it was the first movie she saw in cinemas and so was exactly the right age to get attached to it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Srice posted:

A dumb notion of course since folks will happily binge watch tv shows for far longer than that.

I don't know, my wife will happily say she doesn't have a 2hr movie in her attention span and then watch 3 hours of the same TV show. The idea that more people will sign up for what seem like smaller chunks of things that last for longer total seems fairly reasonable.

It sucks if we don't get long movies sometimes though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I feel like the difference is TV Shows have build-in "Breaks" - yes, you can pause any time during a movie at home, but lot of movies don't really have a comfortable spot to put things on hold, but on a show, the Credits/ED starts, that is a perfectly fine place to stop. It's kind of a weird bit of psychology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Coyote Vs. Acme likely to be deleted forever

WB has rejected every offer and refused to let Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount give counter-offers. It's clear they want this to die.