Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
chapter 123

:orb:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I love the running gag with Stark constantly befriending villagers and doing little quests for them and receiving unsolicited advice from wizened, mysterious battle masters.

I just re-read up to the end of the mage exam arc due to where we are in the show so the timing on this is great.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
One day, Frieren will be able to give Stark her gift. One day.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Probably when he turns 70.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I love the running gag with Stark constantly befriending villagers and doing little quests for them and receiving unsolicited advice from wizened, mysterious battle masters.

I just re-read up to the end of the mage exam arc due to where we are in the show so the timing on this is great.

Especially with how he never knows who the old dude was and just goes along with it.

This chapter was nice. Feels good to hang out with the gang so much again.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i just caught up to the manga from where the anime left off. first time i've binged a series in a loooong time, legit read all the chapters over like 2 days.

i am so so so so interested in the hero of the south and the seeing the future magic. the moment where schlat talks to frieren by talking to macht was loving INTERESTING.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Darth TNT posted:

Especially with how he never knows who the old dude was and just goes along with it.

He probably figures this is just what life is for a vanguard, or literally anybody. "Doesn't this happen to everyone?"

I just realized he's low-key collecting Ancient Warrior Wisdom the way Frieren collects grimoires, only without really intending to.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Dudes rock

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stark never met Himmel and yet he embodies his philosophy so well.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Himmel - confidence = Stark

And speaking of rereads, I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Kraft's partner was Ewig the sage. The series is very good about setup and payoff, so far Ewig is the only name that could possibly fit him. Makes it interesting that his name means eternal, is the only human sage and had magic that could control demons.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like I'm starting to see Stark and Fern's physical growth reflected in their character designs.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i love Metal Gear Fern

"no, i can't give him a gift where others can see! this is a sneaking mission!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like I'm starting to see Stark and Fern's physical growth reflected in their character designs.
that's because you are.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 124

Oh drat Stark got folded.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Well I already had a lot of questions about the empire but now even more so.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

:stare:

Very unexpected plot development but I'm here for it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I appreciate how much of a threat high-level warriors are in this setting

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well then!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this guy rocks

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
this guy needs a union

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

this guy needs a union

The downside of being black ops is that no one has to allocate your unit a coffee budget.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Old men remain extremely powerful in Frieren

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Now that's how you introduce a character.

Also, lol at the double piggyback ride and "oh, there was a highway established 30 years ago".

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Even in the original Japanese, he's named Radar instead of Funkmessgerät or Funkmessortungsgerät.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
It wouldn’t surprise me if no one told the old man the mission ended years ago.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Considering he was given this village because it was one of the only routes into the empire and there's now a highway that bypasses it, this is very possible

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

VideoWitch posted:

Well I already had a lot of questions about the empire but now even more so.

I wonder if Himmel, Heiter and Eisen were on the list too, or if it was just Frieren.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

golden bubble posted:

Even in the original Japanese, he's named Radar instead of Funkmessgerät or Funkmessortungsgerät.

Part of the origin of radar is German physicist Henreich Hertz's work with electromagnetism. So, German by proxy.

Darth TNT posted:

At the same time Serie is actively throttling humanity's magical progress, so I can see it being part of the explicitly human empire's ethos that elves, particularly ones sticking their noses into magic, have got to go.

Complete left field option is that the one giving out the order is Grausam.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 7, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

LostRook posted:

At the same time Serie is actively throttling humanity's magical progress, so I can see it being part of the explicitly human empire's ethos that elves, particularly ones sticking their noses into magic, have got to go.

Um, is she? I never got even a hint of that. If anything, it's the opposite, considering the time she has been active and leading humanity's biggest magical organization is also the period of massive advancements in human magic, between Soul Track/Offensive Magic, Defensive Magic and Flight. She probably focuses on combat magic at the expense of the more practical, everyday spells that Frieren prefers, but that's hardly "throttling humanity's magical progress".

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Um, is she? I never got even a hint of that. If anything, it's the opposite, considering the time she has been active and leading humanity's biggest magical organization is also the period of massive advancements in human magic, between Soul Track/Offensive Magic, Defensive Magic and Flight. She probably focuses on combat magic at the expense of the more practical, everyday spells that Frieren prefers, but that's hardly "throttling humanity's magical progress".

The test arc begins with it repeatedly being stated that there are fewer mages than during the time of the war against the demon king. It's not explicit but the part with Flamme's will that everyone learn magic, which Serie immediately tears up because she wants magic to be for the specials only is a clear throughline with the ideology the first class mages espouse and Serie coming to power 50 years prior.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

LostRook posted:

The test arc begins with it repeatedly being stated that there are fewer mages than during the time of the war against the demon king. It's not explicit but the part with Flamme's will that everyone learn magic, which Serie immediately tears up because she wants magic to be for the specials only is a clear throughline with the ideology the first class mages espouse and Serie coming to power 50 years prior.

I thought the implication was there less mages than during the war because, well, demons killed them and the number has yet to rebound. Or that since it's a time of peace, nobody's bothering to learn stuff like offensive magic, the way that there are more people joining the army during a war.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I thought the implication was there less mages than during the war because, well, demons killed them and the number has yet to rebound. Or that since it's a time of peace, nobody's bothering to learn stuff like offensive magic, the way that there are more people joining the army during a war.

Yeah that was my read, plus as much people passing as they did with Freiren’s exam was an anomaly so there’s probably just not a lot of people who even survive to the last phase usually.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah that was my read, plus as much people passing as they did with Freiren’s exam was an anomaly so there’s probably just not a lot of people who even survive to the last phase usually.

Which goes back to Serie, the one responsible for the exams and their methodology, actively suppressing magic. The war with the demons lasted over 1000 years. The biggest change for mages in the last 50 years is the appearance of Serie. There is no reason that mages have to be warlike, excepting that the organization overseeing magic demands that they are, and holds the privilege up as a lure.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

LostRook posted:

That's the direct result of Himmel and co. defeating Demon King and establishing the "era of peace" and has nothing to do with Serie. Less people are learning combat magic and becoming "proper" mages, because there is less need to protect yourself from being eaten by demons. And the "proper" mages have less experience and less power, because they are thrust into deadly battles against demons and monsters less often.That is pretty explicitly a good thing that Frieien is happy about, because instead of learning combat spells, going out into the world and getting killed by someone like Macht or Aura, people stay at home, become a farmer and develop a spell to conserve peaches for a really long time in their spare time.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

That's the direct result of Himmel and co. defeating Demon King and establishing the "era of peace" and has nothing to do with Serie. Less people are learning combat magic and becoming "proper" mages, because there is less need to protect yourself from being eaten by demons. And the "proper" mages have less experience and less power, because they are thrust into deadly battles against demons and monsters less often.That is pretty explicitly a good thing that Frieien is happy about, because instead of learning combat spells, going out into the world and getting killed by someone like Macht or Aura, people stay at home, become a farmer and develop a spell to conserve peaches for a really long time in their spare time.

The era of peace that has sequestered the entire north of the continent due to demons, caused Fern's entire town to be destroyed by war in the south, Stark's village was annihilated, Wirbel slaughtering child solders, Aura rampaging for 28 years and etcetera. There's plenty of text supporting Serie suppressing magic, I can't recall anything to suggest that Frieren is happy about there being less mages because they've all gone peaceful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

not buying it. fun idea though.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

LostRook posted:

The era of peace that has sequestered the entire north of the continent due to demons, caused Fern's entire town to be destroyed by war in the south, Stark's village was annihilated, Wirbel slaughtering child solders, Aura rampaging for 28 years and etcetera. There's plenty of text supporting Serie suppressing magic, I can't recall anything to suggest that Frieren is happy about there being less mages because they've all gone peaceful.

Humanity lost two thirds of its territory during the war against demons. The entire pre-"Demon King defeat" part of Macht's flashback was just him slaughtering one town after another with impunity. Compared to that, the current era is an era of peace.

And I repeat myself, but mankind's magic had made a massive progress in 80 years, to the point of having two major revolutions of the magic systems with Offensive/Defensive Magic and then with learning to fly. The whole point of Quall was to showcase that the magic was progressing so fast that a Demon who was almost invincible 80 years ago could now be easily defeated with basic spells. The constant advancement of human magic is one of the consistent themes in the story, so I really can't figure out how you got "Serie is suppressing the progress of mankind's magic" out of it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

No-one in Germany really calls a Radar anything but a Radar. We even sometimes call what a Radar operates with "Radarstrahlung" if we don't know any better. Radar as a German name fits perfectly into the theme.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Humanity lost two thirds of its territory during the war against demons. The entire pre-"Demon King defeat" part of Macht's flashback was just him slaughtering one town after another with impunity. Compared to that, the current era is an era of peace.

And I repeat myself, but mankind's magic had made a massive progress in 80 years, to the point of having two major revolutions of the magic systems with Offensive/Defensive Magic and then with learning to fly. The whole point of Quall was to showcase that the magic was progressing so fast that a Demon who was almost invincible 80 years ago could now be easily defeated with basic spells. The constant advancement of human magic is one of the consistent themes in the story, so I really can't figure out how you got "Serie is suppressing the progress of mankind's magic" out of it.

It's constant progress, but it's not massive progress. And in both cases Frieren was somewhere between directly involved to directly responsible. Hell, Solitar went so far to note that Zoltraak had the fatal weakness of being too simple and easy to recreate for humans. The point of Quall wasn't that humanity made a revolution in magical progress, but that 80 years is a long time for humans.

Just because magic is progressing doesn't mean that it isn't being suppressed, there's a major difference between Flamme's ideal of a world where everyone wields magic and Serie's where it is held in the hands of the elite, and naturally the later is going to progress considerably slower than the former. It's not no progress, it's less progress than their ought to be and a reduction in the amount of mages. It's the sort of thing that will only get worse as time goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Wait, are you going for "yes there is progress, a lot of progress even, but there could always be more progress and the reason there isn't is because Serie is actively throttling human innovation! :argh:"?

Lmao, I'm out.