Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Ver.1.01.04 Notes are up. There's a big changes table that will be a lovely thumbnail so I'll leave it to the website to handle https://www.tekken-official.jp/tekken_news/240207.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Bored Grunt posted:

Most played was 7 but casual, played some of the previous games far less. I'd like to put some effort into 8 and see how far I can go but I'm leaning towards picking a character that isn't going to kill my hands after a few hours of play. I liked Reina because I could play very aggressive with her. Have any recommendations on a characters to try that might feel similar but without the wavedash/EWGF?

I've got to throw Feng in there again. He has great tools to stop people taking back their turn including:
1. quick b1 counter hit with follow-up
2. df1 that's +0 so it resets the neutral, doesn't lose your turn and is a setup for 1
3. 1,1 that checks ducks and counterhits for a combo
4. uf2 that evades to the side and hits
5. Three parries (1+2, b+1+3, f+3+4) just in case the above wasn't enough. You can time them with his df2,2 or df3 launcher to punish people who think it's their turn just because you did a big move.

also a very +(7?, 9? I forget) b3 knee and a lot of quick and nasty lows/counterhits.

between all those moves you can make your opponent pretty scared to do much attacking and easily take your turn back. His execution is dead simple so you can focus on other things.

Anyway, I'm on a similar path to you with Reina but I figure I'll either get EWGF or I won't but it's not like I'm going to tournaments anyway. I got KBD down so there's some hope for me.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

GigaPeon posted:

Speaking of which, how decent are the Ghosts really when emulating real players?

Not very, honestly I would just jump online and mash some buttons. Nothing really teaches you better than getting stomped repeatedly and seeing what doesn't work. Replay mode is incredible for figuring out what's going wrong and how to fix it.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I tried a little EWGF training just for the sake of it tonight with servers down even though I'm not planning on learning a Mishima any time soon.

Keyboard or controller I am consistently just 1-2 frames sooner with the df than the 2, or I overcorrect and hit the 2 before even the down.

Weirdly when I stopped drilling and just said ok surely this one off will be it I got it like 2/3 of the time, then immediately back to the old pattern trying to repeat it

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
On pad, try a 2+3 macro on one of your left shoulder buttons. It's a lot easier for me personally when using the same hand to do a EWGF.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

poe meater posted:

On pad, try a 2+3 macro on one of your left shoulder buttons. It's a lot easier for me personally when using the same hand to do a EWGF.

Genius, thank you!. I just loaded back in and got like 8/10 using l1 (I'm playing on a ps4 pad because I sold my stick years ago and this is my first fighting game since)

Still not hopping on a Mishima just yet but it's nice to know I have the option there

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Here's an easier version of the jun MYK combo also from MYK https://twitter.com/TheNameIsMYK/status/1754063576367800550?s=20

https://streamable.com/0hy9s1

df21+2, d1+2, T! dash ssl (do a deep side step), b42, f32~1+2, b1+21

This also works with the CH ws2 starter.

Her ff33+4 doesn't have a guaranteed 1+2 ender anymore so possibly the best ender now is db111+2

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 7, 2024

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Are you guys also facing an unreasonably high percentage of people who 1 and done in ranked?

I think the only thing in this game worse than feeling like I got gimmicked out is getting denied the opportunity to try again knowing what they're gonna do.

I guess I should start digging into the replay system

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
10 customization slots is not enough! You're stifling me, Harada! STIFLING!!

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

great big cardboard tube posted:

Are you guys also facing an unreasonably high percentage of people who 1 and done in ranked?

I think the only thing in this game worse than feeling like I got gimmicked out is getting denied the opportunity to try again knowing what they're gonna do.

Given I'm just barely crawling into the Orange Zone but I think I've had a grand total of 5 people ever one-and-done me since release.

Two of them were Kumas. This proves bears have small pp.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

eggrolled posted:

Ver.1.01.04 Notes are up. There's a big changes table that will be a lovely thumbnail so I'll leave it to the website to handle https://www.tekken-official.jp/tekken_news/240207.php

i'm confused as to what the Lili change means, but I also haven't had the chance to play in a few days unfortunately so maybe I missed some tech?

Also signed up for T8 at Evo :toot: gol drat it's expensive, but I've wanted to go for like.. literally a decade and have been saving up outside of going to a couple other majors in the past year and a half

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks everyone for EWGF on leverless tips! In looking up the guides and testing the solutions, I accidentally found a not-so-viable-but-works thing for me, which only works on facing right.

Basically, for the df+2 part, the d is held by my left hand like usual, but f and 2 is using my right hand. Since it's the same hand, timing it together is easy. Bam, easy electric. But of course, that's only in practice mode, and only facing right. In the heat of a match, going out of my standard hand positioning will be trickier.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/snooticus/status/1755072462872559700?t=0_EnkE0_a9X415SKXSwQRg&s=19

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

Thanks everyone for EWGF on leverless tips! In looking up the guides and testing the solutions, I accidentally found a not-so-viable-but-works thing for me, which only works on facing right.

Basically, for the df+2 part, the d is held by my left hand like usual, but f and 2 is using my right hand. Since it's the same hand, timing it together is easy. Bam, easy electric. But of course, that's only in practice mode, and only facing right. In the heat of a match, going out of my standard hand positioning will be trickier.

It's funny, most old school mishima players that play on stick have a strong preferace for 2p side, this is due to how the wavedash motion feels in the hand; often to the point of becoming absolute crap when playing on 1p side. Now with leverless there is tech that makes 1p mishima's that are useless on 2p side. Either way, the classic counter to mishima players is a 2+4 throw (or any of your throws that switches sides on either hit or break) just like before.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Artelier posted:

Bind an extra button to analog stick left that you can hit with your right hand and you can do the same thing on 2p side. You can do it with your pinky or something.

This is completely legal according to TWT rules.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

great big cardboard tube posted:

That depends on who you are playing. If you're a very popular character I sometimes just go one and done because I actually just played vs. that character 3 times in a row; you just don't know that.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

Applay posted a really helpful visual guide to some of the patch changes

https://twitter.com/JustApplay/status/1755065444917014844

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Is there a good rule of thumb for stuff that is jab punishable without looking at the numbers?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

unattended spaghetti posted:

Is there a good rule of thumb for stuff that is jab punishable without looking at the numbers?
Press jab after a string ends and see if they get hit

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Lol so no then. Thanks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

How is the training mode in this? My first big dive into FG was SF6 and it's training mode was key to learning to perceive the game. Does this have a similar quality of lab?

I'm surprised to see in the demo that they have a toggleable "modern" mode, that's an interesting interpretation of the idea.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

How is the training mode in this? My first big dive into FG was SF6 and it's training mode was key to learning to perceive the game. Does this have a similar quality of lab?

I'm surprised to see in the demo that they have a toggleable "modern" mode, that's an interesting interpretation of the idea.

I wouldn't call that a modern mode, it's really more of an autocombo mode that you really shouldn't be using outside of edge cases once you learn spacing from it. The training mode is pretty good and the replay options are great IME.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Tekken 8 has the best training mode of any fighting game ever

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Ok dummy stuff. When I beat the little quests in Arcade Story mode, it says I unlocked... some kind of player customization thing. Something themed around the arcade the quests are from but I'm not seeing them in any of the customization things.

How do Player Match sessions work. They hold multiple people but can I observe matches and put my quarter up so to speak?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Replay mode knocked my socks off when while I was watching one of my ranked matches it paused to tell me what I could have done differently to punish a string that I had blocked. Then it let me stop the replay and practice the punish. Then when I was done, I could resume watching the replay.

GOTY.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man that intro song sounds like it's straight out of a mid 2000s mx trials game, what a weird choice

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

GigaPeon posted:

Ok dummy stuff. When I beat the little quests in Arcade Story mode, it says I unlocked... some kind of player customization thing. Something themed around the arcade the quests are from but I'm not seeing them in any of the customization things.

How do Player Match sessions work. They hold multiple people but can I observe matches and put my quarter up so to speak?

You can only get to "My Profile" via the main menu or the lounge pause menu -> Community -> My Profile. You'll be able to set up to three title, show your avatar or a customized character slot in a pose, and 48 characters of delicious free text

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Dumb babby clarification:

Jun u/f1 is 10f startup
Standard Mishima 1,1,2 is 10f startup

Yet every time we start the round both pressing it, the Mishima 1,1,2 wins.
I'm going to assume it's just hurtboxes not colliding nicely?

Also, after watching Knee use it, I've realised how absurd SS4 is for Jun, but I'm struggling to incorporate it yet. As a button, it's absurd, though. An 18f Mid for 20 damage that works as a Heat Engager and leaves you +6 on block?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Good lord, I just fought a brian that must've tried to snake edge me like 15 times in our BO3

He beat me Game 1 with a mashed rage art and I think he probably hit 2 or 3 snake edges total when he'd mash it out into a high. At one point I just kept df+1-ing him over and over again and I probably hit like 6 in a row before he blocked. Kept pressuring. Then sure enough, the instant he got rage art every round I'd stop pressing buttons and boom, there it went

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Autsj posted:

It's funny, most old school mishima players that play on stick have a strong preferace for 2p side, this is due to how the wavedash motion feels in the hand; often to the point of becoming absolute crap when playing on 1p side. Now with leverless there is tech that makes 1p mishima's that are useless on 2p side. Either way, the classic counter to mishima players is a 2+4 throw (or any of your throws that switches sides on either hit or break) just like before.

I got back into tekken after having last played in the og tekken 5 days about 2 months ago. I got into 7 with kazuya because I just really wanted to use him because he's the heart of the tekken franchise in my mind (started with tekken 1 +2 as a kid). Wound up dropping him for Xiaoyu and the bears, but now I've been enjoying the poo poo out of Reina in 8. That being said, idk I'm more comfortable on the left still because that's just what I'm used to from being a long time casual fighting game fan. I still sometimes get a little flustered when pressured if I'm on the right sometimes in ranked and am definitely way less consistent landing electrics.

anyway game good tekken rules. I kinda don't want to main reina because you see so much of her but the mishama moveset clicks for me and I'm having fun so :shrug:

e: kuma also owns in 8 and I've played a fair bit of him in ranked as well. something about the xiaoyu changes aren't clicking with me yet so I haven't been playing her much

Revins fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 8, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man that intro song sounds like it's straight out of a mid 2000s mx trials game, what a weird choice

Tekken the game is excellent.

Tekken the aesthetic is hot loving garbage.

I feel like they know though cause I'm wearing a traffic cone hat, a Hawaiian shirt, acid wash jeans and groucho glasses hahaha

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 8, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Opening song is good tbh

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I feel like they know though cause I'm wearing a traffic cone hat, a Hawaiian shirt, acid wash jeans and groucho glasses hahaha

Celebration on the seine is one of the greatest songs in fighting game history

Orv
May 4, 2011

Unbelievably wrong

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

There’s a hat that goes on top of your existing hat and yet you say this.

Although Leroy’s rainbow dreads aren’t compatible with hats which makes the George Clinton options lacking.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

what do you mean exactly? I'm trying to think of another game where you know something is -4 or whatever the fastest punish is

in this game I think every low attack is at least -11 so it's not a jab but if you know your characters fastest WS move you can use that to punish a low if you block it, and usually you can get more

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I played tekken 6 (2007) online on xbox last night when T8 was down and the 4 and 5 bar connections there were on average better than the 5 bar wired connections I've been getting to PC players in T8. PC players sort your poo poo out. I might start declining them on sight in ranked.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Opening song is good tbh

our time IS now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Many strings that end with mids are unsafe and can be at least jab punished (some can be launched.) They are usually paired with high string enders that are safe on block but instead can be ducked and launched.

Most power crushes (the smoky hits) are unsafe on block.

Most uppercuts (df2, the almost universal launcher) are at least -12 on block.

Many hits where the opponent jumps are at least jab punishable. Hopkicks which launch are definitely punishable. If it has a quick startup and is short range, it is more likely to be punishable on block, jumping attacks that have very long startups (and can thus be interrupted) tend to be safe if they do connect

There are definitely "rules of thumb" you get a feel for (even beyond the obvious stuff like "oh the opponent is literally recoiling back from doing a -22ob low lol") but there are always exceptions and every character has at least one move that looks like it should be unsafe or at least minus on block but is actually plus lol.

Getting a feel for the "move types" based on animation or how you see the opponent using them will allow you to make guesses, testing with jab punish is always a good idea if you're not dialed in. This doc helped me a lot with that:

Tekken 7: On Analyzing Moves and Strings

Edit: like if you do enough punishment trainings with the various characters, you'll see patterns. shoulder attacks tend to be more punishable for example

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Many strings that end with mids are unsafe and can be at least jab punished (some can be launched.) They are usually paired with high string enders that are safe on block but instead can be ducked and launched.

Most power crushes (the smoky hits) are unsafe on block.

Most uppercuts (df2, the almost universal launcher) are at least -12 on block.

Many hits where the opponent jumps are at least jab punishable. Hopkicks which launch are definitely punishable. If it has a quick startup and is short range, it is more likely to be punishable on block, jumping attacks that have very long startups (and can thus be interrupted) tend to be safe if they do connect

There are definitely "rules of thumb" you get a feel for (even beyond the obvious stuff like "oh the opponent is literally recoiling back from doing a -22ob low lol") but there are always exceptions and every character has at least one move that looks like it should be unsafe or at least minus on block but is actually plus lol.

Getting a feel for the "move types" based on animation or how you see the opponent using them will allow you to make guesses, testing with jab punish is always a good idea if you're not dialed in. This doc helped me a lot with that:

Tekken 7: On Analyzing Moves and Strings

Edit: like if you do enough punishment trainings with the various characters, you'll see patterns. shoulder attacks tend to be more punishable for example

Hell yeah this is what I was after. There's clearly conventions, even though it might not seem like it at first look. Calibur was kinda like that too. And when I see slow start-up I tend to think more punishable, rather than less. Obviously there's no replacement for just checking the frames but I only do that when I'm brick walled since I prefer just screwing around and getting a feel. Thanks for the info.