Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

anybody got some ideas for what I can play for a River City Ransom fix?

I'm talking about an open world beat'em up with RPG elements where you can just wander around, level up, learn new moves.

I've played River City Ransom, River City Girls and River City Underground. I haven't been able to get into the Yakuza games, so please don't recommend those. Recently played Final Fight Streetwise and was surprised to find I really liked it and it scratches this itch. That game is known to be one of the worst games of all time so I think that lets you know the level of jank I can deal with if something has other elements I like.

Friends of Ringo Ishikawa
Guacamelee
Batman: Arkham series, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm talking about an open world beat'em up with RPG elements where you can just wander around, level up, learn new moves.

I've played River City Ransom, River City Girls and River City Underground. I haven't been able to get into the Yakuza games, so please don't recommend those. Recently played Final Fight Streetwise and was surprised to find I really liked it and it scratches this itch. That game is known to be one of the worst games of all time so I think that lets you know the level of jank I can deal with if something has other elements I like.

Hmm, it's hard for me to think of an exact match, but here's a bunch of games that somewhat combine elements of beat-em-ups with RPG elements and (sometimes) open worlds:

Sleeping Dogs
Shenmue
Odin Sphere
Dragon's Crown
Witcher 3
God Hand
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
Bully
Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance
Batman Arkham City
Dungeon Fighter Online
Way of the Samurai
Other Yakuza games (Ishin, Judgment)
Young Souls
Kingdoms of Amalur
Dragon's Dogma
Children of Morta
Monster Hunter Rise
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds
Vindictus
Evil West

And while we're talking about beat-em-ups, I'll recommend Streets of Rage 4 and Fight n' Rage as top class examples of just classic beat-em-ups.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 5, 2024

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think The Bouncer?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Fighting Elegy posted:

Mad Max, kinda. You do most of your talking with a fist.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fighting Elegy posted:

Yakuza 0 :getin:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well the one beat-em-up game I've played the Scott Pilgrim game, which has stats and moves that you learn as you level up. It's a short game, but it's another beat-em-up. I've heard good things about Teenage Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge and the Cowabunga Collection with all the classic TMNT games including the beat-em-up arcade games, but I don't think they have RPG systems.

If you want to go proper full 3D open world game, Assassin's Creed: Origins and Odyssey have a whole skill point and move tree system. So does Shadow of Mordor. Batman: Arkham Asylum has the whole metroidvania thing of getting extra gadgets over time that help you get around and can all be used during combat to help fight. Jedi: Fallen Order has a similar thing. Dragon's Dogma is also out there, with a complex RPG system where you learn new moves, but while I will always say it's got a lot of really unique experiences you won't get elsewhere, it can also feel pretty janky with its unique decisions.

You could also go try Dark Souls. There's a reason why it is so popular and has a lot of games trying to emulate it. Dark Souls 1 is the classic, Demon Souls has a fancy remake, 3 is also a high point, and Bloodborne has a cool non=medieval setting with lovecraftian themes. If you value the idea of less linear open-world wandering, there's Elden Ring, which a lot of people seem to take to as an entry into the playstyle. The RPG system is just stats instead of moves, but most weapons will have their own unique moveset to use.

Conversely, if you want the feeling of RPG character-building progression more than the fun of combat, there's Punch Club, a game all about being an 80s pastiche boxer where you steadily have to train up your stats every day and work your way through a skill tree to get boxing moves that you don't directly use because combat is an automated thing where you kit up your boxer with moves and let him get to fighting (with breaks between rounds to shift around your loadout). The sequel goes much weirder with its plot and setting, but it also has a demo available if you wanna just check it out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna anti-recommend the Scott Pilgrim game, on the basis that it is incredibly grindy, and basic combat takes forever to feel good. The presentation is fine, you just need to spend so much time punching basic mooks before they die, and then they don't drop that much money. Picture running the first level over and over again to get enough money to buy the attack boosts needed to clear the second level, that's what we're looking at here.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

River City: Rival Showdown is a remake of one of the games in that series that came out just last year

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any games that have you investigate stuff and make a "conspiracy corkboard" the same way you do in Shadows of Doubt?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking for a mental time out "how is this supposed to be a game" game. Something engaging enough to grab my focus on for 15 minutes but with no mental effort involved and no way to do badly or even a way to do less well. Even a "find things" game contains the chance of not finding the things.

Ideally we're talking a pleasant ambient soundtrack overlaid on a nice ruined cityscape with a (no time limit) button I can click on to get some soothing text telling me well done.

e: button optional

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 7, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a mental time out "how is this supposed to be a game" game. Something engaging enough to grab my focus on for 15 minutes but with no mental effort involved and no way to do badly or even a way to do less well. Even a "find things" game contains the chance of not finding the things.

Ideally we're talking a pleasant ambient soundtrack overlaid on a nice ruined cityscape with a (no time limit) button I can click on to get some soothing text telling me well done.

I love the Logistical series for this. Little truck icons go from town to town delivering little product icons which make other icons to deliver. There's some strategy to it but not much.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fez_machine posted:

I love the Logistical series for this. Little truck icons go from town to town delivering little product icons which make other icons to deliver. There's some strategy to it but not much.
Oh god logistics games are the exact opposite of what I want. I need something my brain can't latch on to optimising for maximum returns.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

something like animal crossing maybe? it's not really optimizable and there is no failure state, just nice friends to give gifts to and stuff to collect

the older ones emulate fine if that's an option/not having a switch is a thing

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

Are there any games that have you investigate stuff and make a "conspiracy corkboard" the same way you do in Shadows of Doubt?

Alan Wake 2, although you don't really have much choice where you put things and it won't progress unless you put them in the right place.

Oh and also Phantom Doctrine (it's a espionage tactical X-Com sorta game, never got very far)

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 7, 2024

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Splicer posted:

Orb of Creation? No lose state, no challenges, just orbin'

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

Windosill

:orb:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Splicer posted:

Mountain

Everything

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jack Trades posted:

Sid Meier's Covert Action is from 1990 and doesn't entirely hold up but it's $3.99 on steam right now and it's an extremely interesting concept worth playing in this space. It's basically playing a James Bond movie - you are a government agent assigned to stop a Spectre-esque conspiracy group from performing some evil scheme and you have several ways to investigate and find out who the bad guys are, where they are, and what they are doing - intercepting cables, breaking into buildings to look for clues and potentially fighting any bad guys there (which could be anyone from some henchmen to the mastermind of the conspiracy), capturing bad guys and interrogating them (and potentially turning them into double agents), etc. The bad guys move in real time just like you do, so if you are trying to stop an assassination attempt on some political figure using a bomb, then there is a boss NPC who transmits instructions, a bombmaker NPC who makes a bomb, a transportation guy who takes the bomb from the bombmaker to the assassin, an assassin who meets the transportation guy, etc, and they move through this as you come in and try to find out who is who and what is happening. Maybe you find out where the bombmaker is, but because you spent too long wiretapping some of the wrong buildings somewhere else, the bomb is already on the move when you get to him, so you have to hope to find some new piece of information to be able to intercept the conspiracy again further ahead in the chain, etc. Each conspiracy is generated each run, so it's pretty replayable although also can get predictable with enough repeats. It's really amazing for a 1990 game and worth playing around with, and definitely warrants a pen and piece of paper for tracking clues.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Winner!

Someone crashed a drone into me >:-[

e: if someone did this with an abandoned city slowly being reclaimed by nature I'd be in heaven

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Something cozy and cute that two people can play/one can enjoy watching on one screen?

Partner needs some cheering up. Frog Detective 1-3 were good for this. haven Park as well.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Something cozy and cute that two people can play/one can enjoy watching on one screen?

Partner needs some cheering up. Frog Detective 1-3 were good for this. haven Park as well.

Seal World or Lil Gator Game, maybe?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

gohuskies posted:

Sid Meier's Covert Action is from 1990 and doesn't entirely hold up but it's $3.99 on steam right now and it's an extremely interesting concept worth playing in this space. It's basically playing a James Bond movie - you are a government agent assigned to stop a Spectre-esque conspiracy group from performing some evil scheme and you have several ways to investigate and find out who the bad guys are, where they are, and what they are doing - intercepting cables, breaking into buildings to look for clues and potentially fighting any bad guys there (which could be anyone from some henchmen to the mastermind of the conspiracy), capturing bad guys and interrogating them (and potentially turning them into double agents), etc. The bad guys move in real time just like you do, so if you are trying to stop an assassination attempt on some political figure using a bomb, then there is a boss NPC who transmits instructions, a bombmaker NPC who makes a bomb, a transportation guy who takes the bomb from the bombmaker to the assassin, an assassin who meets the transportation guy, etc, and they move through this as you come in and try to find out who is who and what is happening. Maybe you find out where the bombmaker is, but because you spent too long wiretapping some of the wrong buildings somewhere else, the bomb is already on the move when you get to him, so you have to hope to find some new piece of information to be able to intercept the conspiracy again further ahead in the chain, etc. Each conspiracy is generated each run, so it's pretty replayable although also can get predictable with enough repeats. It's really amazing for a 1990 game and worth playing around with, and definitely warrants a pen and piece of paper for tracking clues.

Huh...that sounds really neat. It's a shame about the 90's game UI conventions but I'm definitely going to mess with that game for a while.

GOG has a version functioning out of the box and their forums have several threads with useful info.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

PHOGS!
Octodad: The Dadliest Catch
Untitled Goose Game
Knights and Bikes
CHUCHEL
Donut County
Webbed
A Short Hike
Bugsnax, Wandersong, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Later Alligator, and Chicory: A Colorful Tale, if it's alright for the writing to get heavy sometimes
Touhou Mystia's Izakaya

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 7, 2024

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Seal World or Lil Gator Game, maybe?

Hwurmp posted:

PHOGS!
Octodad: The Dadliest Catch
Untitled Goose Game
Knights and Bikes
CHUCHEL
Donut County
Webbed
A Short Hike
Bugsnax, Wandersong, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Later Alligator, and Chicory: A Colorful Tale, if it's alright for the writing to get heavy sometimes
Touhou Mystia's Izakaya

Thanks for the suggestions! We have played or seen streams of a surprisingly large number of these. Donut County is new and looks like it'll be a good fit - unless she wants to watch me fumble about in Bugsnax, as she's already played it.

e: and for anyone else who is intrigued, I can't recommend A Short Hike strongly enough. It's perfect.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jack Trades posted:

A Hand with Many Fingers is literally this.

Just you, a corckboard and a basement full of boxes with documents.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Jack Trades posted:

Outer Wilds has a corkboard-type display that fills out as you investigate what the heck's going on in the solar system. You don't really place stuff manually, though, it just maps out details as you find them. It's still very good though.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Splicer posted:

Littlewood? You can do all kinds of stuff to build your little cozy village but like nothing is required and you don't have to do anything in any particular order.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

Fish Game
Placid Plastic Duck Simulator

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

gohuskies posted:

I know Sid Meier talks about how this game is too unfocused with all the mini games but I absolutely love it, it's basically Sid Meier's "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego". The controls in the driving and break-in mini games are kind of rear end, but if you can deal with it, it's on par with Pirates! imo

Also, speaking of Sid Meier games, Sailing Era from the chinese developers humble bundle a while back is good take on Pirates!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

Take a look at littlewood. It's like harvest moon if you took most of the gameplay out of harvest moon. I think at some point like an hour in you'll have to sit down for a little bit and figure out how you want things arranged and what your daily sequence of tasks is gonna be and then it's just long stretches of autopilot walk to place press interact button watch number go up

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

sithael posted:

I know Sid Meier talks about how this game is too unfocused with all the mini games but I absolutely love it, it's basically Sid Meier's "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego". The controls in the driving and break-in mini games are kind of rear end, but if you can deal with it, it's on par with Pirates! imo

Also, speaking of Sid Meier games, Sailing Era from the chinese developers humble bundle a while back is good take on Pirates!

A well-done 2023 update of Covert Action would be an extraordinary game that I'd love to see exist!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

I'd second the Littlewood recs, I don't know if PowerWash Simulator would be too much energy but if not that's also a good call. Also maybe a bit more of a long shot, but I've actually played it for basically the exact same purpose: Cube and Star: An Arbitrary Love.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Hello. I woke up this morning and I felt the sudden urge to swing a two-handed sword in first person (so no Soulslikes or For Honor, please). Is there anything more recent than Skyrim that I could check out for this undoubtedly early sign of a midlife crisis?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Vermintide 2. Kruber's executioner sword is one of the easiest weapons in the game to use, and it feels great to murder hordes of evil rats.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Hello. I woke up this morning and I felt the sudden urge to swing a two-handed sword in first person (so no Soulslikes or For Honor, please). Is there anything more recent than Skyrim that I could check out for this undoubtedly early sign of a midlife crisis?

If MP is an option, Chivalry 2 is hilarious and a lot of fun

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NihilCredo posted:

ELDERBORN.
It's only 2-3 hours long, but it's got the most satisfying melee I've ever seen in a first person game.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Bannerlord, but it can take awhile to find a decent two-hander.

Kingdom Come also has really satisfying melee combat

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

future ghost posted:

Kingdom Come also has really satisfying melee combat

Seconding this.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Samurai build in Cyberpunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Get a VR headset for Blade and Sorcery lmao