Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

It doesn't beg the question, it raises the question.

I like how everyone else has a standard hologram profile, but then we have the witch-queen elegantly posed in her case file photo.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, she's judging the other mother for letting stress levels interfere with mothering (if we're going to judge Uchida for anything it should be this - she could be more considerate, like in general, although OTOH she's breastfeeding the woman's baby fer chrissake) for not even offering to watch her own kid while she breastfeeds the other woman's for her, and for just unceremoniously pulling the baby off her tit when she has to leave, not anywhere or at all for using formula in and of itself. Nowhere in the text of the comic is the statement "breast is best" or whatever even close to being uttered, and she's said in the text of the comic that she respects mothers who use formula for the amount of work it takes. Like with the antivax readings (which I somehow imagine will persist even after we get the comics about getting actual vaccinations), TBQH if you take a "breast is best" message out of the comic it's all baggage you brought in with you I think.
And to be fair, giving the timing in the comic, part of the reason I found it funny was that her semi-autobiographical character is getting judgey when the other mother doesn't even have time to offer to watch Uchida's son during the feeding. Like it's presented in such a way where it's really easy to see why the other mother is so fried some otherwise obvious steps are falling through the cracks, so even if comic-Uchida is like lol wtf it doesn't feel mean-spirited.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

2.88 is what they were going for and the approximately is there so they don't get sued if some pedantic gently caress measures one at 2.86. You're a loving lawyer, dickhead.

Cowslips Warren posted:

and what kind of mom would our protag be if she didn't judge her because "she didn't even try to watch my baby for me" and "formula takes so long to make?" and "everyone else was breastfeeding?" Like good moms should! Feels like something FOOB Mom would mutter under her breath.

I shouldn't be so hard on her. At least she's actually at the doctor, even if she will write off most of what she's told because "mom knows best." And yeah doctors get it wrong, they're not perfect, but after Covid, and gently caress, even before, the surge of anti-vax when it comes to measles and mumps because "vaccines cause autism!" bullshit, I have low tolerance for it. Just as my coworker blames the Covid vaccine for another coworker getting Covid; never mind he never masks and is a loving Uber driver and has had a cough/hacking up his lungs for weeks.

Breast is not best, formula is not best, FED IS BEST.

I generally really like WAR. I think WAR Mom is a decent person who is doing her best. But, yes, I agree. It was written in a different time, yes, but I think it's valid to point out when you see similar patterns to ones that would later do immeasurable harm. I think it's just as justifiable to criticize these kinds of things in WAR as it is to criticize questionable attitudes or behavior in other classic comics we post. Even the ones we like.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Luann is going in a weird direction. I sort of like that they're doing the old art style for this flashback but still weird flashback.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I really enjoy WAR! She isn't a perfect mother but she's not claiming to be. If someone is looking for parenting advice from a comic originally published in "Premature Ejaculation Theater" they've got bigger problems.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't help it if Wall Stuck Quarterly's parenting advice is all out of date

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Quite the crimestoppers today, huh?

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (May 2-3, 2005)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Samovar posted:

I like how everyone else has a standard hologram profile, but then we have the witch-queen elegantly posed in her case file photo.
Clearly she was posed normally when the holo was taken, but it just turned out like that anyway. What's the point of being a witch-queen if you ca't' gently caress with things like that?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 06, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

RocK-K-K? Must be a Ted Nugent album.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

OK so obviously the joke in Finnish wasn't "jesters / there's jest no way", but it was similar. The original use's a Finnish saying, "ei onnistu millään ilveellä" (can't be done with any kind of jest/trick/joke) and of course a jester in Finnish is "ilveilijä", ie. someone who does jokes or tricks. So it actually works pretty well!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 20, 1961)

Edit:

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

This is a strange way to describe law when the person describing it presumably means it as a positive thing.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 7, 2024

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Julet Esqu posted:

2.88 is what they were going for and the approximately is there so they don't get sued if some pedantic gently caress measures one at 2.86. You're a loving lawyer, dickhead.

I'd also think it was just a conversion from metric for a product that sells globally.

That said, 2.88 inches circumference (about 0.91 inches diameter) is very small for a hand scrubber. I'd probably have to pinch it with two fingers instead of holding it as depicted.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Holy gently caress.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/6/04

Brenda Starr 8/3/52

Smokey Stover 8/23/59

Everyday Movies 3/22/37

"Yes, business is good, but the kind of business that's good is rotten on account of they don't pay their bills."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1/31/43 features an unexpected guest star!

Why yes, Hitler is indeed the "jerk of jerks."

Closer Than We Think! 8/23/59

The Reynolds House of Ease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvqiFjz_Oe4

You can indeed find folding prefab aluminum homes on AliExpress and similar reliable retailers.

Bonus Ad!

The Keeley Institute promised to treat alcoholism with, among other things, injections of gold.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 7, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 8/23/59

The Reynolds House of Ease: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvqiFjz_Oe4

You can indeed find folding prefab aluminum homes on AliExpress and similar reliable retailers.

Bonus Ad!

The Keeley Institute promised to treat alcoholism with, among other things, injections of gold.

You can buy a nice home from Blu Homes that gets factory-built and unfolded onsite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwOUndGEEs

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

Oop.

Extremely 2003 Funnies

Rose is Rose

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 21, 1936)

Peanuts (February 9, 1977)

Another Day At The Sad Old Men Store

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (October 14-16, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 11, 1940)

Out Our Way (December 9-11, 1943)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Get hosed, Divorcin' Sam!

It took the usual two months of amusing nonsense to get there but Thimble Theater once again showing us a great stupid fight sequence. :allears:

This Scarlet storyline, as always, is freaking incredible. I don't know what's better. The Jerk of Jerks. The goofy rear end Scarlet brand character design applied to his goons(6'6" with enormous pot belly and 3 feet tall adult little man as is tradition), the hilarity of Chalmers' set up and his boredom at invincibility, or Scarlet shadowing this guy for weeks!

Hostile V posted:

Holy gently caress.

I really like Mexikids and the no holds barred portrayal of adventurous children trying to accidentally kill themselves is pretty funny. Not good but hey, they survived.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 8/3/52

My eyes tend to gloss over Brenda Starr as I wait for the conclusion to the Weegee Saga but

holy poo poo, lmao

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 7, 2024

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(1/3/1994)

(1/4/1994)

Ziggy

(8/26/1971)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Follow your instincts, Luann! She fuckin' sucks! So do you, but she sucks more!

THORN, November 4-15, 1983

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

straight-up giggling at Hagar's lawyer having a law degree which just says "*indecipherable scribble* is a lawyer"

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn Mexikids goes hardcore.

But it makes sense! Kids clothes seem way too flimsy for the kid to do much anything fun. Probably why those secondhand kid clothing stores do so much business (but these days it seems cheaper to buy almost anywhere).

Cul-de-Sac mom is pretty drat cool too. And good lesson for Petey.
Did we ever actually see Viola even see the comic in question and her reaction to it?

In regards to WAR, I do like the comic and loving love the expressions and characters; my nanny job had me working somewhat with LaLeche and while most people were chill, so so many more were screaming how formula was bad for the baby and if you didn't breastfeed, you were a bad mother. Didn't help the second baby in question did breastfeed but never gained weight, so his mom was stressed as hell, so baby was stressed, older kid was stressed. Baby not gaining weight, not taking the breast, taking a little formula but not nearly enough. Turned out he was tongue-tied (extra muscle/skin under the tongue) and couldn't get a good grip. Once that was clipped, he put weight on fast because he could actually get a grip on the bottle now. He did get some breastmilk but took formula easier iirc.

But I do see how it keep flipping between 'real moms use breast only' and 'formula is best' and how poo poo society treats mothers; gently caress, for ages I've thought new parents should be assigned a night nurse/childcare helper from the hospital or state, whatever works, so for at least a month they get some help with the new kid. Of course we can't even fix the roads or schools or give anyone decent health care here in the states, gently caress giving parents a chance to actually survive. At the least you'd expect a maternity/new baby office to be supplied with poo poo like rockers, much like kid doctor offices have TVs and toys.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i am going to shine some light on the actual worst thing about holbrook comics:

in 90% of strips, the characters are compelled to name each other in the first panel, as if the reader needs an introduction every time, and it's some of the most stilted dialogue in the world when you start paying attention to it

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

JethroMcB posted:

FoxTrot Classix

This one slaps.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

A Frog’s Life

I'm gonna cry for this frog.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

kidcoelacanth posted:

in 90% of strips, the characters are compelled to name each other in the first panel, as if the reader needs an introduction every time, and it's some of the most stilted dialogue in the world when you start paying attention to it

I'm pretty sure it's been shown in flashbacks, but did we ever find out exactly why Kevin married Angelique in the first place? Seeing as Holbrook doesn't do shades of gray characters, just strictly protagonist good and antagonist bad, why on earth did they get together in the first place?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Tomorrow: Dr. Hormone

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks Now with corrections!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

A little shop for Bob? Lovely.

EDIT: For some reason I wrote “CROWLEY” not “WARREN” on the shop. None of my friends who see the comic early, or indeed the Patreon readers, spotted this and pointed it out! Bob Crowley is an old character from Scary Go Round. What a prize I am. This has now been corrected.

So disregard my last post with it's small info dump on Bobbinsverse lore. Turns out Allison just got his names mixed up.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bob Crowley couldn't keep his hands off of high school girls so I'm good with him not showing up ever again

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 7, 2024

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Other posted:

Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks Now with corrections!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

So disregard my last post with it's small info dump on Bobbinsverse lore. Turns out Allison just got his names mixed up.

That makes a lot more sense. I initially read it and thought Maggie just hadn't assumed her father's last name.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I couldn't remember her dad's last name and still thought it was her dad's shop so I guess I was right.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been shown in flashbacks, but did we ever find out exactly why Kevin married Angelique in the first place? Seeing as Holbrook doesn't do shades of gray characters, just strictly protagonist good and antagonist bad, why on earth did they get together in the first place?

It was an arranged marriage iirc. I could be mixing them up with another pair

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

kidcoelacanth posted:

He is absolutely *terrible* at exposition, all the subtlety of a brick

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What usually gets me about Holbrook is the dead space panel usually before the punchline.

Here's some where the empty space serves no purpose. Nothing is gained.

Here's doubles where you could have these be just single panels.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hwurmp posted:

Bob Crowley couldn't keep his hands off of high school girls so I'm good with him not showing up ever again
It's true, he got what he deserved in Scary Go Round, and fortunately Erin was able to rise to be Queen of Hell and then claw her way back to mortality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

I'm the child sitting and smiling at nothing at all (after presumably having had a poo poo night to be the cause of her caretakers' poo poo night?)