Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Durge finale

I highly recommend romancing laezel and resisting the entire game until the very end and doing the bhaal control ending. She gets SO mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Wow what is that gaudy rear end armour

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Mr. Lobe posted:

Did you never play Castlevania 3? Switching to Alucard to turn into a bat was the best thing about having him as a companion in that game. Any vampire worth their fangs and velvet cape must know that trick

I do not appreciate being called out like this.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Professor Beetus posted:

I played a lot of Castlevania 3 as a kid and if Cazador had my reflexes he'd be hosed

Never managed to swap out in time while falling down a pit?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Lobe posted:

Never managed to swap out in time while falling down a pit?

I would say my success rate was probably around 10%. Absolutely gently caress whoever came up with that falling block climb up the castle, total sadist

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
OK I just did the House of Grief for the first time and I finally found the answer to how huge and annoying a slog a fight has to be for me to say screw it, reload to just before it starts, and send Karlach back to camp to fetch all those smokepowder and oil barrels I've been hoarding the whole game without ever using.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Entropic posted:

OK I just did the House of Grief for the first time and I finally found the answer to how huge and annoying a slog a fight has to be for me to say screw it, reload to just before it starts, and send Karlach back to camp to fetch all those smokepowder and oil barrels I've been hoarding the whole game without ever using.

Chain lightning is your friend in this fight. Unlike say a fireball; the aoe radius is huge

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You can also just convince the receptionist to lead an uprising then stand outside while they kill each other.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I lucked out with my rogue being immune to blindness and Wyll being a devilsight monster so I ended up having the advantage in the dark while bardstarion and Lae'zel brutally murdered anyone that wandered out of the clouds.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Chain lightning is your friend in this fight. Unlike say a fireball; the aoe radius is huge
Shadowheart up-casts Create Water.
Gale Misty Steps up to the top of the bowl and up-casts Lighting to level 6, annihilating two or three mooks and taking a big chunk out of the boss.
Lae’zel mops up anyone next to Gale that he did not manage to connect to Mystra’s Wi-Fi.
Tav/Durge/Origin does whatever they do best.

You do all of this as your opener because of course you took Alert.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
One character as a straight Hunter build, with Bloodlust and Haste

Use Volley to kill all the spellcasters, maybe a shot on Viconia

Easy-peasy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Entropic posted:

Now you’re thinking like a gamer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay I see how Warlock becomes kind of OP near endgame. I just did 287 damage in a turn. Eldritch blast triggering bloodlust elixir, second eldritch blast, quickspell flinger to cast a third eldritch blast as a bonus action, action surge for a fourth. About 1.5 of those blasts targeting enemies in the Phalar Aluve Shriek field, which is currently bugged to apply the agonizing blast/gregarious caster bonus to the thunder damage. So instead of 1d4 bonus, it's 1d4+12.

That's how I found out that if you kill Lorroakan and all his buddies before anyone else has a chance to go Aylin just feels tired of killing stuff.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Lategame fight problem So I triggered the fight vs Gortash in his room at the top of the fortress, killed him, his guards, and like 3-4 steel watchers that were in the room with him. However, the encounter seems to be glitched and I'm now in combat with like 30 mobs in the room below me, problem is they're bugged and cannot path up to me, and I cannot figure out a way to get out of combat with them since they're so many(like 25+ I think). Any ideas? It was a rather long fight on tactitian, I guess if I have to reload the save I can just lower the difficulty to easy but I'd rather not

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Slider posted:

Lategame fight problem So I triggered the fight vs Gortash in his room at the top of the fortress, killed him, his guards, and like 3-4 steel watchers that were in the room with him. However, the encounter seems to be glitched and I'm now in combat with like 30 mobs in the room below me, problem is they're bugged and cannot path up to me, and I cannot figure out a way to get out of combat with them since they're so many(like 25+ I think). Any ideas? It was a rather long fight on tactitian, I guess if I have to reload the save I can just lower the difficulty to easy but I'd rather not

Go out the back exit and keep moving until you get away from them? It'll take a while, but...

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Man, the finale kinda sucks and goes on forever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Slider posted:

You can go around the west side of the building and climb all the way to the top level without having to fight anyone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm glad that there's no achievement for 100%ing Iron Throne because after multiple reloads this run there are halflings that run where they need to go except two floors under it. I'm going to count that as 100% because they had more than enough move speed to get to safety, their pathing just repeatedly bugged.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just did the Iron Throne on this run and Duke Ravengard ate it because all the little spiders megacrit him, this is even with healing him up to almost full before their turn came up. I'm not too broken up about it since Wyll is coming along with me and Karlach to Avernus. Didn't have Shadowheart this time around to cast Sanctuary.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh I didn't think about doing Sanctuary with Shadowheart but that would have helped except for her being way slower than everyone else even with boots of speed so she didn't get there in time. I got lucky and he had like 6hp left, I used my warlock's repelling blast to knock the others away so their deathsplosions/fire wouldn't do anything.

I even chucked speed potions at the feet of 4 of the halflings that decided they yearned for death, waste of two speed potions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Man, the finale kinda sucks and goes on forever.

I enjoyed act 3 on my rogue because I played like Jack Bauer just getting poo poo done and disregarding the human cost. Act 3 seems like a slog if you're some goody idiot hero doing every mission for no reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shadowheart's mostly been a benchwarmer this time around minus the odd Cazador fight where Daylight really comes in handy so her job is to wear all the stupid-looking mismatched gear at camp.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Iron Throne!

If you press tab NPCs that are following / chained to you they can use consumables that aren’t inside containers from the party inventory screen.

The noblestalk mushroom removes charmed conditions and is a full heal. Globe of Invulnerability, Invisiblility, Haste, Speed Potions, or Blink. All useful for a clutch escape.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Despite being dumb as bricks the Gondian NPCs will also make use of stuff like Arcane Gate if you have a Wizard in your party. You can also upcast Longstrider prior to the encounter to give everyone 3m more movement speed.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

In my case there was one particular gondian that just would not take the ladder no matter what I did. I ended up sending my good friend Orpheus back down specifically to gate his dumb rear end back to the sub

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’ve already posted 200 km/h Astarion but there is also that Elf potion you can get from Moonrise towers. Not the half elf one! That gives you 10m more movement speed and that adds up when you use multipliers like Dash and Haste.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The big thing in the Iron Throne is to not block the ladder with your own guys, that'll gently caress the NPC pathing up good.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
OK finished the Creche in Act 1.

So... anything else I need to do before heading in to Act 2?

I'm pretty sure I've done everything except I stole the githyanki egg but I'm not going to give it to that woman... not sure what I'm going to do yet but we'll see. I spoiled the ending of quest for myself and Lae'zel's keeping it, just not sure if I'm going to kill her or try one of the other tricks.

Oh and also I didn't do the parasite clearing machine in the creche yet... I know it doesn't actually work and you need to pass a lot of checks to avoid getting permanent debuffs so I'm going to be a dick and save scum my way through the rolls because it's my game godammit.

What I've done (probably forgot some things there's so much content):

Top-side:
Killed the hag
Killed the Harpies
Killed the spider matriarch
Freed the grove/druids
Got Withers from the crypt/whatever
Did Waukeen's Rest
cleared out the goblin camp
made the sussur dagger
made friends with the Zhentarims and maybe stole a few things from them without them noticing

Underdark:
Did the wizard tower
Killed gut and made spaw happy
Got the herb that makes Shart remember stuff for later on
Freed the gnomes
Did the adamantine forge
Got the cursed amulet near the forge

Mountain pass:
Started the egg quest but still need to "finish" it
Killed the eagles for the blue jay (but lmao I had already dug up the chest reward)
Visited the astral plane and told Vlakaath to get hosed
Cleared out the creche
Got the Blood of Lathandrin
Got the egg

Jesus that's a lot, and it's not even everything I've done... I've got like 60-70 hours (probably more I can't remember) at least just in act 1... I don't think I've missed anything so I dunno. I feel like I've been very thorough, but there's so much stuff scattered around this game I have no idea if I've missed anything.

Maybe a better question: is there anything I should definitely go back for before advancing? I don't remember if I'm locked out of Act 1 locations yet (I thought that was act 3 that locked you out?), but I guess I'll at least visit a few vendors to make sure I've bought everything I want, and also offload junk to run down their gold.

I think I've asked this before, but I should be using the underdark to go to moonrise towers, right? Halsin is a big fan, but I've read it's easier to get to the last light inn from that entrance. I'll probably do everything there anyhow, but I'd like to get to a safe spot sooner rather than later...

Also: I don't make a habit of looting campsites. Should I be? I dunno if there's anything important that you miss outside a few health potions or trinkets, but I've noticed that each area has a unique campsite and unique crates/etc.

Black Noise posted:

I’ve already posted 200 km/h Astarion but there is also that Elf potion you can get from Moonrise towers. Not the half elf one! That gives you 10m more movement speed and that adds up when you use multipliers like Dash and Haste.

Boots of speed gives you click heels, which doubles your movement speed, and it's a bonus action not a regular action. It's no haste, but it costs almost nothing.

I discovered that this is an outstanding thing on Lae'zel. Didn't think I'd get much use out of those boots, but it makes a significant difference for melee characters, especially at the start of battle when everyone is far away and you need to get in position, and at the end when you have to mop up all the ranged assholes who are scattered about plinking away.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Based on your summary you've missed some stuff on the first map and the Underdark, but that's Okay and makes replays worth exploring!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Yeah I know gave them to the Wizard so they could get the Arcane Gate up. Expeditious retreat is concentration but also fills the void of giving your martials a way to close distances with bonus actions quickly if they aren’t concentrating on anything.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gort posted:

The big thing in the Iron Throne is to not block the ladder with your own guys, that'll gently caress the NPC pathing up good.

Yeah, I accidentally blocked the ladder on the last turn with Shadowheart but enough of them had already gotten out that I was like "good enough, definitely not reloading this mess AGAIN"

I get people wanting an achievement for 100%ing that quest but Larian are smart, if there WAS one more people would drive themselves crazy trying to do it and/or be screaming at the devs constantly to fix the suicidal civilian AI and you know what, nobody needs that in their day

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JBP posted:

I enjoyed act 3 on my rogue because I played like Jack Bauer just getting poo poo done and disregarding the human cost. Act 3 seems like a slog if you're some goody idiot hero doing every mission for no reason.

Yeah, I feel like it's not the intention that you do everything (I've never put the clown back together or done the fireworks factory, and I won't do the ghost Manor again), but that rubs up against this being a fun video game.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, I accidentally blocked the ladder on the last turn with Shadowheart but enough of them had already gotten out that I was like "good enough, definitely not reloading this mess AGAIN"

I get people wanting an achievement for 100%ing that quest but Larian are smart, if there WAS one more people would drive themselves crazy trying to do it and/or be screaming at the devs constantly to fix the suicidal civilian AI and you know what, nobody needs that in their day

On my solo run I was going to get all of them minus one but the one lagging behind went first and ran to the base of the ladder, dooming like six people. So I went from the "almost all" trigger to the "barely any" level, I think I just got Ravengard, Omeluum, and the two in the first room (luckily the one required for the main gondian). I believe all it meant was when I freed the gondians they just said "gently caress this city there is nothing for us here" and left, so I didn't get their support in the final battle.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I got this for Christmas from a friend and I've been slowly poking through Act 1 and...it feels like everything is kicking my rear end. I'm on normal difficulty, but my quest are like 'Go get your rear end kicked by the people chasing karlach who have 1 to 2 levels on you' or 'Get your rear end kicked by a bunch of gnolls hounding guards in a cave who have 1 to 2 levels on you' and 'go deal with a Hag who has 2 levels on you'.

I cleared out the village full of Goblins, though I haven't done the spider cave beneath it yet, and I'm still only level 3. I'm also hoping I didn't really gimp myself by choosing to play a Monk, I know I can reclass but that's besides the point.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Malaria posted:

Just had the single dumbest honor mode wipe on PS5.

Was going to grab the Blood of Lathander. I knocked out 2 of the(apparently 3) little crystal things that stop the trap in the hallway... Entire party got yeeted into the abyss.

I just stood there in disbelief for a good two minutes.

Ugh.

lmao

nice!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I got this for Christmas from a friend and I've been slowly poking through Act 1 and...it feels like everything is kicking my rear end. I'm on normal difficulty, but my quest are like 'Go get your rear end kicked by the people chasing karlach who have 1 to 2 levels on you' or 'Get your rear end kicked by a bunch of gnolls hounding guards in a cave who have 1 to 2 levels on you' and 'go deal with a Hag who has 2 levels on you'.

I cleared out the village full of Goblins, though I haven't done the spider cave beneath it yet, and I'm still only level 3. I'm also hoping I didn't really gimp myself by choosing to play a Monk, I know I can reclass but that's besides the point.

I'd recommend going to the goblin camp (not the ruined village) and making sure you've done all you can for now in the grove - if things are a couple of levels above you, they're probably best left until you're the same level. Also, things get easier about level 5 when your characters really begin to come into their own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Good for you, Open Hand Monks are one of the Most OP classes in the game. My advice would be to take it slow and more thoroughly explore the places you've already been, it seems like you've missed a few encounters on the first map that are more doable at Level 3, and if you've cleared out the entire Goblin Camp without even reaching Level 4 yet then you've probably skipped quite a lot!

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Here’s my advice from watching a frustrating twitch stream.

If you do 0 damage do literally anything else besides walking up to the cannon and ending your turn there. Like you could even walk away.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Good for you, Open Hand Monks are one of the Most OP classes in the game. My advice would be to take it slow and more thoroughly explore the places you've already been, it seems like you've missed a few encounters on the first map that are more doable at Level 3, and if you've cleared out the entire Goblin Camp without even reaching Level 4 yet then you've probably skipped quite a lot!

Ah I hadn't touched the goblin camp yet, just the village full of goblins with the three ogres. I also didn't go with Open Hand, but I presume I can switch subclasses at the camp with Withers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I think the number one thing I recommend is that if you’re using a wizard, warlock or sorcerer that you go down and get Shovel from one of the blighted village basements because making her invisible and then attacking to initiate combat before your party has been seen will make a lot of combat encounters much easier. You get a surprise round for that which means you get to have a whole turn where the enemy can’t act, which is massive. I recommend also learning to love minor illusion because you can also force enemies to group up and hit them with an AOE attack to begin combat as well.

For example with minor illusion, the guys chasing Karlach can be lured outside of the building they’re in. This negates a huge advantage they have with how they’re set up inside.

ETA: if you have someone as a pact of the chain warlock, the imp and quasit familiars can also be used to generate surprise rounds with their invisibility as well

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 7, 2024