Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Stux posted:

got to yabbashah... the block redesigns are so godly

arqa genuinely made me go "whoa" as I wandered around and then I got in a fight and two birds hit my MC's weakness four times in a row and I got a game over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think I like Merciless. Feels good when you manage to win against bosses due to the risk. Was definitely feeling the pressure during the first Tartarus back-to-back minibosses. Got kind of lucky that the latter never crit the MC.

Edit: god loving dammit, my PC just completely crashed (like literally shut off, which is a first). At least I didn't lose any boss fights, but I did lose like 4 or 5 Tartarus floors.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Huh, that's wild. Are you running it in fullscreen or something? I have two monitors and haven't run into that.

I've tried both borderless and fullscreen. It's strange, particularly the way it only happens when loading a save; you'd think it would trigger when starting the game.

Fortunately it's basically fine once I switch the display back.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 7, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
probbably dont click unlles youre in august/dont care about new stuff

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How tight is it to max all SLs anyway on first playthrough and do all the optional scenes?

I mean, I’ll happily ignore Kenji and Nozomi if I need to, just curious.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Extra Tasty posted:

hermit is probably one of the creepiest in the game, all things considered

The annoying thing is I'm an adult with a career now, so when Maya says "i need my game and drinky tiem but im haunted by deadlines" I go "shes just like me fr fr".
...Then remember that the Protagonist is a highschooler and it's actually creepy AF that she's traumadumping on a kid. Lady, wait for that a/s/l!!

Janissary Hop posted:

the best balance improvement is letting me get a second swing of the sword for when i misjudge distance on my first swing so the shadow doesn't turn around and own me

if you're holding down the Dash button when you slash, the MC seems to slash whilst stepping forward? I've sliced a bunch of Golden Hands that way.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

How tight is it to max all SLs anyway on first playthrough and do all the optional scenes?

I mean, I’ll happily ignore Kenji and Nozomi if I need to, just curious.

Yeah this stresses me out too, I love Persona games but they're way too much of a slog to do a second playthrough so I want to find a way to experience as much as possible first time around

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Adrianics posted:

Yeah this stresses me out too, I love Persona games but they're way too much of a slog to do a second playthrough so I want to find a way to experience as much as possible first time around

I am just playing with a 100% guide for the same reason. Not sure I will be down for more than one play through, so I want to make sure I see everything the first time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It's loving hilarious that I'm ranking up by Academics so quickly and I haven't even gone into the library yet.

I wish real life worked like this, where hanging out at the arcade, eating loads of seafood, and matching movies made my grades better.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Door-kun didn't die from the Great Seal, Door-kun died from cholesterol poisoning

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So uh...

what is going on with the RNG in this game? I'm following a guide, and for my first actual trip into Tartar Sauce, I was to:

- reach Floor 22
- reach level 12
- have at least 40k yen in goods to sell (which I kinda had to guess at)
- leave with: Ara Mitama, Omoikane, Forneus, and Pixie.

The latter point is where the trouble starts. In some 3+ hours of running up and down from 5-22, Ara Mitama appeared once. Never saw Forneus or Omoikane. My Pixie and Apsaras are both ridiculously overleveled from finding so many of them. I ended up just fusing for Forneus/Omoikane, but man - the drops were so wierdly skewed that it stood out. Of the Persona cards I saw, aside from the one Ara Mitama, I'd guess it was 50% Apsaras, 40% pixie and the rest were Angel/Silky.

Is this like the RNG in Souls games, where if it knows you are trying to get something to drop it will definitely NOT drop it?

Am I also missing something with Twilight Fragments? This morning, I actually got 3 in one hour long session, but before that? Pretty sure I never got more than 3 total the entire time. Is my luck just that bad? 7 for a Heal seems like a lot when I can't even afford 3 to open a chest. I am breaking all the breakable things.

So do Twilight Fragments become more common as I go up?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You can probably fuse Ara Mitama or Omoikane. You are supposed to fuse things, that is the intention, not a last resort. Do not expect to get all or even most Personas without fusing.

You will never get enough twilight fragments in Tartarus to pay for anything. Your primary source of them is from raising Social Links (Elizabeth will hand them out), with a one-time early game boost from exploring the town and dorm (they are blue sparkles). Also healing is supposed to be expensive to discourage you from doing it; SP costs are supposed to be a limitation on long dungeon runs.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 7, 2024

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

HaB posted:

So uh...

what is going on with the RNG in this game? I'm following a guide, and for my first actual trip into Tartar Sauce, I was to:

- reach Floor 22
- reach level 12
- have at least 40k yen in goods to sell (which I kinda had to guess at)
- leave with: Ara Mitama, Omoikane, Forneus, and Pixie.

The latter point is where the trouble starts. In some 3+ hours of running up and down from 5-22, Ara Mitama appeared once. Never saw Forneus or Omoikane. My Pixie and Apsaras are both ridiculously overleveled from finding so many of them. I ended up just fusing for Forneus/Omoikane, but man - the drops were so wierdly skewed that it stood out. Of the Persona cards I saw, aside from the one Ara Mitama, I'd guess it was 50% Apsaras, 40% pixie and the rest were Angel/Silky.

Is this like the RNG in Souls games, where if it knows you are trying to get something to drop it will definitely NOT drop it?

Am I also missing something with Twilight Fragments? This morning, I actually got 3 in one hour long session, but before that? Pretty sure I never got more than 3 total the entire time. Is my luck just that bad? 7 for a Heal seems like a lot when I can't even afford 3 to open a chest. I am breaking all the breakable things.

So do Twilight Fragments become more common as I go up?

following a guide sounds really annoying, but i would hazard if you're having issues getting personas to drop you may want to simply fuse them instead of spending a really long time on a tart grind, you can look up formulas for making them. and yeah, shards are not common in tartarus. i've gotten maybe 10 and i'm quite a bit farther.

If your guide is 100% including personas you're gonna have to fuse for the vast majority of them anyway

e. i just read an article comment about how someone was upset 'western localizers' ruined the story in P3R only to find out they were specifically upset that the finale of the beach scene got changed

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 7, 2024

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
It's not even a localization change. The Japanese text is changed also.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The process, whether or not you'll be using a guide, is basically the same. Fuse like crazy so you get higher level personas to wreck everything. When your SP is pushed to the limit and you have to bail then do a final round of fusing and summon from the compendium to fill out whatever you need for links until you go back to Tartarus.

Cash gets better after the first trip. In the third Tart-R-Us grind session the guide says to make sure you get up to 100k and I walked into it with like 140k.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

It's not even a localization change. The Japanese text is changed also.

look don't tell these weird dipshits that play to get away from real life and dont' want politics or messages inserted into their games about magical teenagers that summon magic monsters by shooting themselves

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
really can’t stress enough how the 100% guides will ruin your enjoyment of this. the amount of micromanagement needed to get all the links in a single sweep is exhausting and most of the guides don’t account for new dorm activities etc either

just go to the arcade a lot, try not to visit Tartarus more than once or twice a month, keep in mind Academics’ level requirements are twice as much as the other two, focus on the school links because they’re inaccessible for breaks/exams, and drop kenji and probably keisuke in the bin. there, you’re practically guaranteed to sweep 80% of the links at minimum

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 7, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The guide I was looking at didn't seem particularly well-optimized, either, because it suggested completing the first Tartarus block on the very first night when going on a different night would have meant they could have gone to the nurse's office and gotten some free Courage the day after.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Oxxidation posted:

really can’t stress enough how the 100% guides will ruin your enjoyment of this.

Nah. Have done it before. I am more interested in seeing all of it in a single run, because I don’t generally play Persona games more than once

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I just pretend i'm the protagonist and follow my gut every day. It's really fun; you don't need to see all the stuff.

Although I could see using a guide on a subsequent playthrough. I don't know what I'm going to do with P3R. I did play the PSP version, and did it in my usual way. If I do that now, I wonder if I'd end up doing all the same stuff. I still just want to hang with my bro stupei.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I personally have much more fun with the games when I follow a guide, not less.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I just pretend i'm the protagonist and follow my gut every day. It's really fun; you don't need to see all the stuff.

Although I could see using a guide on a subsequent playthrough. I don't know what I'm going to do with P3R. I did play the PSP version, and did it in my usual way. If I do that now, I wonder if I'd end up doing all the same stuff. I still just want to hang with my bro stupei.

subsequent playthroughs are much easier in the persona remakes because NG+ lets you keep your social stats which frees up a significant amount of time and lets you unlock some links far earlier

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

This is my first time through Persona 3 and I was trying to play optimally, but then I had one conversation with the Gourmet King and decided I didn't need to do that anymore

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Sloober posted:

subsequent playthroughs are much easier in the persona remakes because NG+ lets you keep your social stats which frees up a significant amount of time and lets you unlock some links far earlier

Oh that's pretty sick.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Oh that's pretty sick.

just be sure to save a clear file when you beat it and you can pick it back up without that annoyance. There's usually other bonuses like carrying over money and persona compendium too but those are whatever and you can still limit your gameplay in a way that those don't really come into play

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
suemitsu is the loving Worst but he’s available outside of school and one of the better examples of the game’s theming (since his repulsive habits are mostly a grief response) so I endure him

doesn’t hurt that Moon has some of the best personas

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

suemitsu is the loving Worst but he’s available outside of school and one of the better examples of the game’s theming (since his repulsive habits are mostly a grief response) so I endure him

doesn’t hurt that Moon has some of the best personas

Maybe I'll give him another chance then. Another Arcana that seems to have good Personas but a really boring S-link is Justice, treasurer girl is just doesn't seem to have a lot of substance. I have been enjoying the fascist hall monitor's descent into madness and Bebe though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Emperor is basically mandatory to max, at least in the original, because Odin can hard carry you through the entire last twenty hours or so of that game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Maybe I'll give him another chance then. Another Arcana that seems to have good Personas but a really boring S-link is Justice, treasurer girl is just doesn't seem to have a lot of substance. I have been enjoying the fascist hall monitor's descent into madness and Bebe though

chihiro’s fine, but her link doesn’t really get going until rank 5 or so

angels tend to be excellent personas as well so she’s worth a little investment

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

really can’t stress enough how the 100% guides will ruin your enjoyment of this.

this. what is wrong withj you people

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Will I date Yukari for the fourth time or try someone new....? Only time will tell.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've never played the male side so in a way experiencing most of these links are for the first time even though I've known what happens in them.

Man are you a horrible enabler in Chariot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Magician is at least, like, a train wreck, and you can kind of justify the protagonist's participation in it as a "this dude needs to learn" thing, but Chariot is a nightmare. You are legitimately a bad person in Chariot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can probably get it maxed out soon anyway (at Rank 8) so I can be done with it.

I heard there was a way to get points for them without passing time (like the fortune teller in P5)? Not sure when that unlocks.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

There is a version of that at the shrine, but it takes up time to use it I think? Definitely doesn't seem worth a day slot

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom has mentioned something you can do at night to get SL points but it unlocks later in the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How is the social link maxing in the remake compared to say P5R? I usually don't use guides in these types of games the first time thru but P3P was pretty tough to max out, and then P5R I ended up having about 2.5 months of doing almost nothing because I maxed out everything and read most of the books by then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

ImpAtom has mentioned something you can do at night to get SL points but it unlocks later in the game.

Yeah. To be clear on what it is (no actual plot spoilers or anything) Eventually you can buy one-use URLs for a matchmaking site from your friendly neighborhood shady URL dealer. They can be used at the shared computer and raise friendship with any unlocked S-Link of your choice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mr E posted:

How is the social link maxing in the remake compared to say P5R? I usually don't use guides in these types of games the first time thru but P3P was pretty tough to max out, and then P5R I ended up having about 2.5 months of doing almost nothing because I maxed out everything and read most of the books by then.

From what I've heard it's just as hard if you want to get the extra added content with your team for the bonus stats and scenes. Maxing stats is apparently much easier though.

I've just avoided unlocking Devil right now because I'm just spending every night pumping stats.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drat this game owns. only played like half of portable before tbf, but just having a dungeon crawler hits the spot right now (since Shackers 2 wasn't really hitting that for me for some reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's still early for me but it's still kinda soft-confirming for me that P3 Male MC is the weakest character of the 'modern' Persona protags. It's hard to really get a read on what kind of character he is even though he's appeared in quite a few spin-offs now as his own character (Persona Q/2 and Dancing). Even just going from his social links he can read anywhere from apathetic to sociopathic/enabling. Not that he doesn't have his 'good' option choices, but they just end up making his 'canon' personality harder to read other than just being kinda quiet.

Yu got a lot of personality via the anime and then Arena, and Joker got a splash more. Even FeMC has a bit more personality via her dialogue options.