Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVFbvU6nrs0
A weird game. There is a demo on Steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1309620/Bears_In_Space/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Demo is 10 gigs lol. I'll play it but that's the sorta thing I gotta let dl overnight

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Demo is 10 gigs lol. I'll play it but that's the sorta thing I gotta let dl overnight

It's only a 4.2gb real download. Also, I needed a bit less than half a night...

(sry, I had to do it)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's alright at least you're using it. My friend has excellent internet and doesn't do poo poo with it. I do think he'd let me bring my tower over and download poo poo though. I uninstalled over 200 gigs of games a few days ago and the second I was done I said .... I want to play x

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

i'm at the part where a powerup has turned the pc into bearzilla and is wrecking a fascimile town in black and white while the annoying robot from borderlands screams at you

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Just finished SSRemake. It's so very, very well done.

Gonna talk about some stuff:
-I took a break after the shooting section at the end of the game, so when I came back today to do the last hacking bit I was a bit surprised about it. I guess it's a formality, being un-losable, especially after all the shooting that preceded it, but still felt weird. I initially thought I had failed it, as I did the last 'hack' with enemies alive on my tail and thought I had unlocked stage2 of the fight just to die and see the game over screen (a la cortex reaper) Nope! Was just THAT low-key of a victory.
-The sparq was the best weapon in the game by FAR, in terms of gun-feel. That arcing electricity, oof. I know it's unfair to criticize the arsenal considering what they where working with, but that sparq really set a high bar that the rest of the game failed to match. Melee in particular felt off.
-I felt the respawning enemy tension was reduced a lot from the original. I might do a 3/3/3 playthrough sometime and see if that changes things.
-Likewise, it was really interesting to see the old vs new in a lot of level layouts and set pieces. You could really feel the difference when something was merely 'inspired by' the old stuff, vs being a straight port, vs being totally new and modern.
-The monster remakes where all top notch. I know I just knocked the gunfeel, but the entire menagerie was a delight to fight.

It's so drat good! SS2 doesn't really need a remake which is a shame as I'm keen to see what these guys put out next. Are they a sub-studio, or is it just 'Nightdive' and be done? I thought I heard something about it starting as a pet project.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Serephina posted:

It's so drat good! SS2 doesn't really need a remake which is a shame as I'm keen to see what these guys put out next. Are they a sub-studio, or is it just 'Nightdive' and be done? I thought I heard something about it starting as a pet project.
IIRC the SS Remake team are part of Night Dive, but are a seperate team from the people putting out the remasters.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Always found it weird that SS2 had zero animations for the first person view weapons a whole year after Half-Life had two different animations for the pistol depending on if the magazine was empty or still had rounds left in it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Always found it weird that SS2 had zero animations for the first person view weapons a whole year after Half-Life had two different animations for the pistol depending on if the magazine was empty or still had rounds left in it.

SS2 obviously had a smaller budget. The graphics themselves were outdated by the time the game released.

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
SS2 had a very rushed development & was using a still in development Dark engine. The SS2 Enhanced team does need a bit of visual polish IMO, since a fair number of new players won't be too happy paying full price for an "Enhanced" product with stuff like no muzzle flashes for most of the guns, hardly any weapon animations, fused fingers, no mouth lip sync & so on. I suggested slight but noticeable visual improvements to a developer on a SS2 Enhanced thread, but they're not a permanent Nightdive employee FWIW.

It's worth noting that the latest gameplay trailer apparently isn't using either the Kex engine or the "NewDark" graphically updated engine (which many improvement mods use), but the original OldDark, so there's a lot of bugs and missing features, like no particle effects for enemies or weapons, messed up textures etc . Two of the trailer commenters are creators of the SHTUP graphical mod & SCP bug fix/consistency mod, so they can recognise their own work vs vanilla stuff. I can't remember if SCP also fixes the working bolt & shotgun pump animation to the weapons, or if there's another mod for that: those animations are ingame, but Irrational accidentally attached them backwards so they don't work.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Livo posted:

Irrational accidentally attached them backwards so they don't work.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, anyone took the plunge on Graven? How did that turn out?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

So, anyone took the plunge on Graven? How did that turn out?

Rocky launch (as expected). I liked the demo and they're fixing it so I'm waiting to start it since I already owned it from a humble pack.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
I did a quick play of Mullet Mad Jack before going to sleep yesterday and I find myself wondering now what actually happens when enemies attack you. The screen flashes so it must be important, but what does it actually do? Does it run your clock down faster? Is there an actual health meter hidden in the garish UI somewhere? There's an obvious switch over to a life meter during boss fights, sure, but also I noticed a little readout during the stage transitions that showed something like STATUS: FINE with a heart monitor next to it, but I couldn't tell if that was real or just a fun cyberpunk thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is it good? I'm mildly intrigued, kinda love the look of it and I don't mind bite sized levels but I'm not sure I'll bother if enough say it sucks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I preferred the Anger foot demo.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is it good? I'm mildly intrigued, kinda love the look of it and I don't mind bite sized levels but I'm not sure I'll bother if enough say it sucks

I liked it, and I'm also a sucker for the aesthetic. The demo is up so you can give it a spin for yourself.

Mordja posted:

I preferred the Anger foot demo.

Me too. The kick is just so satisfying, especially compared to MMJ which has a weird context-sensitive dash/kick hybrid that doesn't always work.

I will definitely be picking them both up, though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Anger Foot sounds like it's just duke3d with melee and the mighty boot at the same time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Anger Foot is literally FPS Hotline Miami.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Anger Foot rules

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I didn't like it. But I also didn't hate it

e: ^^^^^ also how I feel about Mad Mullet Jack too

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 8, 2024

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Im relatively new here and the one surprise thing i love about this forum is how it’s perfectly tuned to people my exact age.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Internet Old One posted:

Im relatively new here and the one surprise thing i love about this forum is how it’s perfectly tuned to people my exact age.

Posting on a forum in 2024 narrows the field somewhat.

Posting in the Early FPS Megathread probably narrows it down to, like, 5 years.

EDIT: I'll throw Google analytics and all the data scrapers a free bone, I'm 37, and like you I feel 100% at home talking about old poo poo on Something Awful Forums.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 8, 2024

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Steve urkel

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was in Jr High when the Doom Shareware disks were getting handed around my peer group at school. For clarity, Jr High is what they call Middle School now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Overbite posted:

Steve urkel

Laughing at steve urkel causing the resonance cascade

https://vimeo.com/201330162

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
How come it's so dead in here; where the gently caress is everybody??

I'll contribute: After taking somebody's advice and playing Ozonia (a good WAD), I am about 20-ish levels into Eviternity (a great WAD) and am thinking about going to Eviternity II or Valiant after that.

The only thing about Eviternity is that it blindsides you with a level (map 15? 16?) that has like 900 enemies in it and took me several hours to complete, which was sandwiched between a bunch of levels that were hilariously smaller by comparison.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'll contribute: After taking somebody's advice and playing Ozonia (a good WAD), I am about 20-ish levels into Eviternity (a great WAD) and am thinking about going to Eviternity II or Valiant after that.

The only thing about Eviternity is that it blindsides you with a level (map 15? 16?) that has like 900 enemies in it and took me several hours to complete, which was sandwiched between a bunch of levels that were hilariously smaller by comparison.

Dehydration (MAP19) is infamously long and large for its placement in the set. It’s extremely well crafted, it’s just exhausting.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Feels kinda like we're in between releases for some reason. I thought Fallen Aces was early acccessing last month but that turned out to not be the case and I haven't heard poo poo about it since. I do think Wrath is out at the end of February and Viscerafest is soon

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Bears in Space demo is kinda fun but it's so painfully easy that even I can beat it

that's the only boomer shooter demo that I played from this Next Fest that I particularly liked though. caesar's revenge was kinda dull and had really boring level design

and yea, it's february which is normally not a high-release month, game releases are usually backloaded every year, it's just that the past couple of years have bucked the trend with more early year notable releases than normal

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Why's everyone so quiet about Graven? Is it a mess?

Edit: also, it ain't my jam but might be someone's — Slave Zero X: Episode Enyo for Quake was released about a month ago. Apologies if it's been posted about already.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 10, 2024

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The 7th Guest posted:

caesar's revenge was kinda dull and had really boring level design

Huh. This is the first I heard about it, I hope it turns out better than you say because I kinda liked how it looks.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

anatomi posted:

Why's everyone so quiet about Graven? Is it a mess?
The reviews I've seen haven't been good, and sad to say but the odds of any of the rough spots getting smoothed out post-release aren't amazing given the whole Embracer situation.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arivia posted:

Dehydration (MAP19) is infamously long and large for its placement in the set. It’s extremely well crafted, it’s just exhausting.

Ah yeah, you're right, it's MAP19 that I'm thinking of; exhausting is a fair word for it.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

The Kins posted:

The reviews I've seen haven't been good, and sad to say but the odds of any of the rough spots getting smoothed out post-release aren't amazing given the whole Embracer situation.

Crazy to think that Phantom Fury might capture the Duke Nukem Forever experience more faithfully than we anticipated

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

Crazy to think that Phantom Fury might capture the Duke Nukem Forever experience more faithfully than we anticipated

lol

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

To be fair, it's been getting regular patches and they've been surprisingly chunky in filesize, though I understand that's probably an Unreal engine hangover.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, all the patches being about 2.9gb suggests it’s just redownloading a single resource file which I’ve seen on some other games. On my connection that’s just big enough to be irritating so I’ve uninstalled for now.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thread got bought out by Embracer, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've been slowly plinking away at last year's Cacowards list and the clear standouts were Godless Night (about my only complaint is that it devolved into slaughter-lite for the last two levels and that's a style I'm not personally a fan of) and AAA (which is, similarly, great for 90% of the time when you're wondering around the Alpine countryside but goes fairly generic and boring once you're down to Hell).

Currently struggling with Corruption, on map13 now. I know I'm not a good Doom player but the amount of room reloads I'm doing on HMP is quite something else; it doesn't help that the wad loves big rooms with enemies in high places all around the arena. Early on, those were fun to dismantle but it's getting old pretty quick.

e: Aw hell, thought this was the Doom wad thread. In more retro-shootery news: I loved the hell out of Blood West, even if the third area seemed like it got a lot less effort put into it. I guess it's a pretty quiet period for them now - apart from Graven, what's the next big release? Wrath?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 10, 2024