Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was the original good enough to even warrant the first sequel
oh poo poo is that something you're supposed to consider when deciding to make sequels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The first one isn't bad, haven't seen the sequel

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know as bad as this topic gets at times (looking at you person who posted jay/mike hentai) it's still much better than average at media literacy. Folks, it's loving dire out there. I wonder how much of it's a consequence of gutting english departments at public schools and how much is the internet just blasting misinformation 24/7 and if one idiot with a huge following gets ahold of the mic, suddenly walter white isn't a consummate anti-hero?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We don't post hot mike.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Milo and POTUS posted:

We don't post hot mike.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The first one was decent, except the baby subplot was so stupid.
We know the monsters have been on earth more than 9 months. Was the pregnancy by choice? Was one or both parents a religious fundamentalist who wouldn't consider abortion? What if the baby cries and they have to choose between killing it or everyone dying? So much you could do with that but instead the resolution is just "a mattress over the trapdoor". Apparently that wasn't an option before.

I saw the sequel, don't recall much about it. A prequel might be a cool as a spectacle.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

they had all the suspense and tension of a rousing game of "don't wake daddy"

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Milo and POTUS posted:

You know as bad as this topic gets at times (looking at you person who posted jay/mike hentai) it's still much better than average at media literacy. Folks, it's loving dire out there. I wonder how much of it's a consequence of gutting english departments at public schools and how much is the internet just blasting misinformation 24/7 and if one idiot with a huge following gets ahold of the mic, suddenly walter white isn't a consummate anti-hero?

Nah bro youre jus bein a sussy baka no cap im not even gonna lie bro jay mike hentai is hella rizz bro no cap im not even gonna lie bro

my friend is a junior high teacher and wants to die because of it lol

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I was just sitting here chilling when i started wondering what revelations from her past diana webb will be forced to confront in her new movie from sony pictures coming to theaters february 14th (the perfect date night❤️)

Nefarious 2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 7, 2024

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
is this when we finally discover how they shot web?!?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

Nah bro youre jus bein a sussy baka no cap im not even gonna lie bro jay mike hentai is hella rizz bro no cap im not even gonna lie bro

my friend is a junior high teacher and wants to die because of it lol

He wants to die because of jay mike slash fiction?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stink Billyums posted:

there's another sequel on top of this in production
https://twitter.com/AQuietPlace/status/1755229939605885102
I really like the first one, but this looks...not great.

I'll probably still see it, though :shepface:

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Milo and POTUS posted:

probably the #1 thing is everyone's attention spans have been destroyed by having the internet on your phone, with you at all times. people just can't concentrate on one thing long enough to give it much thought.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

you know, call me crazy, but I really think madame webb truly has the potential to be Marvel's most dynamic character

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

rich is dead

the anti-rich rises

Unspeakable things are going to be done to the jerkoff droid

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you know, call me crazy, but I really think madame webb truly has the potential to be Marvel's most dynamic character

Yeah but I’m only gonna watch a movie where the super hero is grounded in reality

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Movies are probably dead, but now we can say for certain that cable and broadcast TV are 100% dead:

Warner, Fox, Disney to Launch Streaming Sports Joint Venture

Variety posted:

It’s a game-changer.

Fox Corp., Warner Bros. Discovery and Disney are set to launch a new streaming joint venture that will make all of their sports programming available under a single broadband roof, a move that will put content from ESPN, TNT and Fox Sports on a new standalone app and, in the process, likely shake up the world of TV sports.

The three media giants are slated to launch the new service in the fall. Subscribers would get access to linear sports networks including ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNews, ABC, Fox, FS1, FS2, BTN, TNT, TBS, truTV and ESPN+, as well as hundreds of hours from the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL and many top college divisions. Pricing will be announced at a later date, but the companies will likely set a monthly subscription that is more than a consumer would pay for a standalone regional sports network, which costs $20 to $30 per month, and less than a larger digital programming package such as Hulu + Live TV or YouTube TV, which cost around $75 to $80 per month, according to a person familiar with current discussions.

The new joint venture, currently unnamed, is seen as a way for Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery to gain back some of the lucrative affiliate fees they have lost as their cable subscribers have cut the cord and moved to streaming outlets as their primary source of video entertainment. The new venture would pay its three corporate parents for licensing rights, essentially creating a new distribution partner.

[...]

The concentration of top sports under one roof would be significant. Between them, ESPN and Warner Bros. Discovery have most rights to the NHL and the NBA, while Fox, WBD and ESPN control at present the majority of rights to Major League Baseball. Only the NFL would enjoy a large presence with entities that are not a part of the joint venture, with “Sunday Night Football” at NBCUniversal, “Thursday Night Football” at Amazon and a package of Sunday afternoon games at CBS.

Disney, Fox and Warner Bros. Discovery would continue to control rights and the new entity would not create its own content for the service, according to the person familiar with the matter. And the start-up venture would never compete with its parents for rights deals, this person says.

The announcement of the new business comes as Disney has been examining strategic alternatives for ESPN, which is pushing into new digital venues while its longstanding cable-based subscriber base has been eroding. Disney has been in talks with various sports leagues, including the NFL, about getting more involved in the ESPN business. Those discussions continue, according to the person familiar with the matter, and are independent of plans around the new joint venture, as are discussions around launching a stand-alone ESPN direct-to-consumer product.

Live sports is the only thing even close to profitable for the old TV and cable networks. If they are fully surrendering them to streaming, they might as well just admit that they won't be broadcasting at all a decade from now.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Stink Billyums posted:

probably the #1 thing is everyone's attention spans have been destroyed by having the internet on your phone, with you at all times. people just can't concentrate on one thing long enough to give it much thought.

It's also that making profound stuff is hard and not easily compatible with commercial motivations, and so the shallow crap of yesterday now has to be quick to keep people from dumping it. Phones have ironically set people free to not suffer being bored.
No wonder crap entertainment gets frantic trying to hide what they are

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Only eight more months until Joker 2 and I can finally go to my grave knowing I saw a Lady Joker.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

reignofevil posted:

Only eight more months until Joker 2 and I can finally go to my grave knowing I saw a Lady Joker.

The big unanswered questions is if they will continue following the Wonka/Color Purple (2023)/Mean Girls (2024) strategy of hiding the fact that it is a musical from the audience until they actually see the movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Oh god right there's gonna be singing I'm so loving pumped.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

reignofevil posted:

Oh god right there's gonna be singing I'm so loving pumped.

Meet the Feebles "Sodomy" but "Society"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh they made a movie of the mean girls musical?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Successfully pitching that movie to warners as a musical is probably the most impressive thing todd phillips has done, and likely will ever do

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

mystes posted:

Oh they made a movie of the mean girls musical?

Yeah and every piece of promotional material hides that it’s a musical so every trailer looks like “mean girls but worse”

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah and every piece of promotional material hides that it’s a musical so every trailer looks like “mean girls but worse”
That seems incredibly dumb but what do I know

I'm not going to see it in theaters but knowing it's an adaptation of the musical (which I haven't seen) I'll probably watch it eventually whereas otherwise I wouldn't have any interest in a soft reboot of mean girls or something

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
drat, American Fiction slaps. Definitely feels like "the type of movie they don't make anymore", and they knocked it out of the park.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The big unanswered questions is if they will continue following the Wonka/Color Purple (2023)/Mean Girls (2024) strategy of hiding the fact that it is a musical from the audience until they actually see the movie.

I'm going to laugh when it turns out that beetlejuice 2 is just the musical with a few plot changes to make it work as a sequel.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Milo and POTUS posted:

As with most things its probably a combination of factors, but I think one of the big ones is that being outraged on the internet is a communal sport now. It's a fun thing you can do with your friends and bond over. If there ever are any sparks of media literacy, what are you gonna do? Spend a bunch of time thinking about what they're trying to say and point they're trying to make and consider if that's a good point, or are you gonna assume the worst so you can have fun being real mad about it with your friends?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I mean it was on reddit so I'm pretty sure it's just because they're really, really stupid

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Getting to make these is part of Krasinski's overall deal with the CIA

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean it was on reddit so I'm pretty sure it's just because they're really, really stupid

People on reddit are so dumb lol

Now if you’ll excuse me I need to go type “reddit” after any search for any product I may want to buy in the future so I know if it’s good or not

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Recast Carano, have her show up to save the day on some random planet, and during her inspiring speech cut to Starkiller Base and it blows the planet she's on the gently caress up.

Make sure she saves the planet by enacting universal healthcare, vaccination and masking policies, a 90% tax on the ultra-rich, 100% renewable energy and universal basic income, which is why the Imperial forces blow it up for being a utopia and dangerous to Imperial values.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Considering what we know about the new republic in disney, I feel like it would be a race between the first order and the new republic to see who could blow it up first

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I think... I think I'm done with movies now. :(

EDIT: After Dune 2 obviously.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

reignofevil posted:

It’s gonna be basically a Harley Quinn story and dudes are gonna call it woke

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PostNouveau posted:

Just realized how much I owned myself posting about someone else's dated online aesthetic on the loving Something Awful forums.

It's not dated, just all the other places are enshittified.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

no

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Were they hiding that the color purple is a musical? The only trailer I saw for it was pretty open about it being musical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Kingo Ligma posted:

Getting to make these is part of Krasinski's overall deal with the CIA

Really showing off those ivy league education connections. God that poo poo's obnoxious