Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

kdrudy posted:

What about mall and/or fair katanas?

My go bag is just katanas and loose Skittles, I'm ready for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Maybe a good, clean Give Me Your House will break things up?

AITA for selling my house to get away from my sister?

Oh man I hope she had a Go Bag, then she'd be able to escape her sister no problem. Does anybody else here have 100 pages worth of opinions on Go Bags, I wonder?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Maybe a Get Out Of My House?

AITA for kicking my aunt's husband out of my house and family holiday gathering when he was homophobic?

quote:

All my life, my parents always hosted the big family Christmas at their house. This year, they sold their large house to downsize.

I bought my first house recently. I'm 25 and live there alone, but my girlfriend and I are talking about her moving in.

I offered to host the holidays to keep the tradition alive. My parents would also come by and help me host.

My aunt Lisa married Peter, and they have a daughter. They live across the country so they decided to come up to our state a bit early to save money on airfare. I offered to host them all week. I'd only met Peter twice before.

They showed up this afternoon after a long flight. I invited them in and we caught up with my parents and amongst each other.

My girlfriend Emma came home from work and kissed me and Peter just went "You're a (f slur)?" And I go "Nah, I'm a lesbian"

He starts to say some stuff like "you've gotta be loving kidding me, in front of my daughter?" And I'm like "Nah man I'm not kidding and I'm also not kidding when I say that bigoted poo poo doesn't fly in my house, get the gently caress out"

He laughed and I'm like "Dude, I'm deadass serious, get out of here"

He says he just flew in and the return flight wasn't for a week, he didn't even have a car here.

I said that it sounded like he thought I cared where he went but I frankly didn't, as long as it wasn't my house.

Lisa convinced Peter to grab the essentials and step out for a while to let things cool off. Lisa went out to walk with him.

My parents tried to convince me to let Peter stay, I had agreed to host him and his family, would I really put a family with a kid out? I said I wasn't putting the family out, just Peter

They said it was really against hosting etiquette to have someone fly across the country to visit and then put them out. And that it would be rude to make him stay in a hotel till Christmas dinner.

I said "wait you thought I was still having him over for Christmas dinner?" My parents tried to convince me and I said no way.

I went upstairs to grab Peter's suitcase, and my girlfriend came with me and was really grateful I handled it, and didn't make her have to be the bad guy in front of my family.

I put his suitcase out, and sent Lisa a text saying that I would still love to have her and her daughter over for the holidays, but I wasn't comfortable with Peter coming into my home.

She came by to grab their things, her family was getting a hotel, I told her she was welcome to come to Christmas with her daughter and she said she'd let me know.

My parents are furious, they think I overreacted and overstepped my place. And that the rest of the family was visiting wanting to see their family. I said they could still meet up, just not at mine. I said that maybe if they were still hosting it would be their call to make but this year I was.

AITA for kicking out this homophobic guy?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's already February. I need an update!

The post is from 2021, and OP's account is deleted.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cythereal posted:

when I let her into my home I signed an obligation for life to take care of her son.

oh cool so that rule applies to energy vampires too

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If you were in that actual apartment at the time instead of just one that got a bit damp running around the place while it was on fire tossing through closets to find your bag of... $1000 and a granola bar? would be an incredibly stupid idea. this whole thing is premised on the fantasy of being able to seize control of an innately unpredictable, extreme but cinematically appealing scenario by owning one gadget which is probably why people keep commenting on how American and prepper it is.

signed: someone who's lived through both house fires and abusive relationships

the relative usefulness of a go bag in an actual emergency situation is a totally separate issue from the husband's reaction

if your position is she's a ridiculous suburban housewife who doesn't actually know how to protect herself, I guess go ahead, but it isn't the grievance the husband had, it's just getting your kicks in on the wife that her relationship imploded over something you don't even think would have saved her in an emergency.

also

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Everyone is still talking about different things. You want to have a bag with some basic necessities for emergencies like fires or other disasters. It’s easy enough to maintain but also something you shouldn’t hide from your partner (and should actually discuss with them). Separately, having at least some financial resources and phone/SIM card hidden from your partner in case things get too real is also a good idea. There is little overlap between these concepts.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

AITA for kicking my aunt's husband out of my house and family holiday gathering when he was homophobic?

I love how many dudes think their bigotry is just super cool and everyone is gonna be fine with it because decorum

And by love I mean hate, but I am glad that this guy, imaginary or no, got told to gently caress himself

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Get bent, Peter. Your first impression of your host for a week is to call them a slur?

Enjoy sleeping outside, or whatever. It's your problem, now.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yes i'll kiss in front of you, and in front of your salad, too

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nocheez posted:

Get bent, Peter. Your first impression of your host for a week is to call them a slur?

Enjoy sleeping outside, or whatever. It's your problem, now.

Good thing he already had a go bag packed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

StrangersInTheNight posted:

the relative usefulness of a go bag in an actual emergency situation is a totally separate issue from the husband's reaction

if your position is she's a ridiculous suburban housewife who doesn't actually know how to protect herself, I guess go ahead, but it isn't the grievance the husband had, it's just getting your kicks in on the wife that her relationship imploded over something you don't even think would have saved her in an emergency.

also

I've stated my actual position idk why you're still persistently making up guys to get mad at in the hopes someone, anyone will step up to give you the argument you want to be having. Go jerk off or something you'll feel better

Bathsheba
Feb 27, 2021
N

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
lovely mom with no boundaries?

AITA for asking my son and daughter inlaw for a copy of the key to the new house they bought?

quote:

2 weeks ago my son [Ethan, 27]and his wife [Jess, 30] bought a small one story house in the town we live in. After settling down they invited us for a small party for the occasion.

We sat for dinner and talked about the house a bit. Me, my husband and Jess continued conversing after Ethan excused himself to take an important call. Jess showed me the original key to the house and I asked if she made copies yet and she said no. I said she should and also give one copy to me as well. She looked at me funny and asked why she should. I explained that it is necessary so that it could be used in emergencies. she rudely said "I don't know what kind of an emergency that would require you having a key to our house, sure won't be a fire incident!". She obviously didn't seem to have any idea that a fire incident wasn't what I meant and I got offended by her sarcasm.

I pointed out that it's not just her decision because this is my son's house as well. She smiled at me trying to be polite and stated that only the ones who contributed towards the house get a copy and that I really don't need one anyway. Also assured me that my son will have the same answer for me. Basically saying "Don't bother bring this up with Ethan, he'll tell you the same thing" but I did and she spoke on his behalf the entire argument repeating what she said over and over. Things escalated to her calling me pushy and me telling her she was being unnecessarily rude and disrespectful .

My husband and I left in a rush and I felt horrible. My husband went on and on about how paranoid and controlling I was to basically be "demanding" a copy of the key to the new house but again I stated that I was just trying to be helpful and taking extra precautions since anything could happen but he insisted I overstepped and ruined Ethan's and Jess's joy for their new house as well as dinner.

I genuienly do not think what I said was out of line and I'm not sure why Jess reacted so intensely. I think my request was innocent.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This was the apartment next to me.

I just want to say I'm really sorry you had to go through this! It can be really scary to have a fire get this close. I'm glad you got out safe!

The building next to me burned down earlier this month, and it happened in the middle of the night. I woke up to people pounding doors telling us to get out, and I looked out to see fire lighting the sky up orange, even though it was 4am I was bathed in light. Our neighbor had to jump from their second story window while others caught them in a sheet. It made me realize I have absolutely no plan for what to do with my pets in a fire situation, which was scary AF.

Take care everyone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cythereal posted:

AITA for asking my son and daughter inlaw for a copy of the key to the new house they bought?

400 words and still no explanation about why she wants a key (it is for snooping).

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Cythereal posted:

Methinks the parents are less accepting of their daughter's sexuality than they pretend.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Yep.

It'd be a different story if she said something along the lines of "You really should make a copy of it and leave it with someone you can trust, just in case". Making it a request is just overstepping.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

400 words and still no explanation about why she wants a key (it is for snooping).

Yeah if she could at least put together a coherent reason for needing a key, it wouldn’t be quite so obviously for snooping

Ed:

quote:

Jess showed me the original key to the house and I asked if she made copies yet and she said no. I said she should and also give one copy to me as well. She looked at me funny and asked why she should. I explained that it is necessary so that it could be used in emergencies. she rudely said "I don't know what kind of an emergency that would require you having a key to our house, sure won't be a fire incident!". She obviously didn't seem to have any idea that a fire incident wasn't what I meant and I got offended by her sarcasm.

This isn’t even a request, this is her telling the dil to give her a copy

Why is a fire incident not what the mother in law means

Missing reasons, cha cha cha, missing reasons cha cha cha

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 7, 2024

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's pretty typical to give a spare key to a family member that lives nearby in case you get locked out though? Where do you guys keep yours, your Go Bag?

Rescue Toaster posted:

Oh man I hope she had a Go Bag, then she'd be able to escape her sister no problem. Does anybody else here have 100 pages worth of opinions on Go Bags, I wonder?

It was covert advertisement by Big Go Bag.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I want to think it's for food emergencies, when she's driving by on the way home from work all hungry and Burger King just won't cut it

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

It's pretty typical to give a spare key to a family member that lives nearby in case you get locked out though?

Sure, my grandma has a key to my house. She has come by to help me when I locked myself out in the past. My grandma also didn’t try to get the key in a weird power play like this lady did

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I want to think it's for food emergencies, when she's driving by on the way home from work all hungry and Burger King just won't cut it

Brb, adding Gogurts to my go bag.

Edit: also Gobots

Edit 2: and some Gorod albums

Edit 3: and a Go board and pieces

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rotinaj posted:

Sure, my grandma has a key to my house. She has come by to help me when I locked myself out in the past. My grandma also didn’t try to get the key in a weird power play like this lady did

Kinda feels like she tried to just suggest it and the wife got kind of lovely first though?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

big mean giraffe posted:

It's pretty typical to give a spare key to a family member that lives nearby in case you get locked out though?

100%, what I'm willing to bet is that mom does not fall into the category of 'family member you trust' which is the big asterisk that should be behind family member there.

it's common to give a key out to someone you trust for emergencies, but the touchy thing here is the mom is not included in that category bc she's too pushy. and hilariously, the more pushy she gets about it, the more she will never be included in that category lol

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Kinda feels like she tried to just suggest it and the wife got kind of lovely first though?

quote:

I said she should and also give one copy to me as well.

Gentle suggestions are not phrased as orders. Even in her retelling where she has made herself look as good as possible, you can tell where she is glossing over her own behavior

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rotinaj posted:

Gentle suggestions are not phrased as orders. Even in her retelling where she has made herself look as good as possible, you can tell where she is glossing over her own behavior

"Oh you should give us a copy so we can hang onto it for emergencies" isn't an order, it's just a way to phrase a suggestion. In fact it's a rather colloquial way of phrasing it in some parts of the world.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

also whenever someone pulls the 'it's my child's house too, not just yours' I narrow my eyes at them, because that is not how relationships work. That's the mom trying to pull rank and say the husband would allow her and only his say matters. But your child is now married and their home is shared with their partner, who they need to respect.

This I 100% agree with but without being there, we don't know if it was an escalation in response to an escalation or what. They sound like they both suck

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
also whenever someone pulls the 'it's my child's house too, not just yours' I narrow my eyes at them, because that is not how relationships work. That's the mom trying to pull rank and say the husband would allow her to and thus she can 'veto' the wife. It's basically saying, 'well, you don't actually have say in this, only me and your husband do', which is really lovely. And your child is now married and their home is shared with their partner, who OP needs to respect.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 7, 2024

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

"Oh you should give us a copy so we can hang onto it for emergencies" isn't an order, it's just a way to phrase a suggestion.

But that isn’t what she said

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rotinaj posted:

But that isn’t what she said

It's not a script, it's a summary of the events. You don't know the exact words she used lol

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

It's not a script, it's a summary of the events. You don't know the exact words she used lol

That goes both ways, homie

You are giving her the benefit of the doubt when she has not shown that she deserves that

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The final sentence is

quote:

I think my request was innocent.

The word "request" is a failure to read the room at best. The whole point of getting a house is getting to make all the calls for yourself.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 7, 2024

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Space Kablooey posted:

i like the part where he demands his GF stops cooking the thing he dislikes but refuses to stop cooking the thing she dislikes

But she didn't say anything before!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah I'm not gonna put much faith in OP being the reasonable one when even their husband says they were being paranoid and controlling, in the version of the story that's supposed to make OP look good

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Some families just do that and it's their normal expectation, you don't know you're the gurglespurts family until your kid's partner comes over and starts screaming about how you're all freaks for the ages. I've got my sister's idk why we have never been there when they're not, barring a couple weeks after the fire thing

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Aramis posted:

The word "request" is a failure to read the room at best. The whole point of getting a house is getting to make all the calls for yourself.

yeah, it's a power struggle between the mom and the new wife, over who has more control over the new home. wife won, and rightly so, because it's her loving house.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
using the copy of the key for my parents house to access the closet with my go-bag (it is full of more keys)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AITA for giving my MIL a fake copy of my house key and "exposing" her on Christmas dinner?

quote:

I wanna preface this by saying that I f34 married my husband m37 a year ago. His mom is snoopy and annoying af. She can't help it that is just how she is as my dear in laws say.

My husband and I purchased a new house recently. My MIL kept pushing to get an emergency key, She promised that she only use it in an emergency but giving the fact that she had an emergency key to our old apartment and walked in on us being intimate twice (but my husband didn't think it was big deal) I just couldn't trust her so I just sent her a fake key (after she kept pushing) and she had a smug on her face after I hand delivered it to her.

Days gone by and on Christmas dinner MIL angerily "called me out" on the fact I gave her a fake copy of the house key. She shamed me for doing this in front of everyone but in my defensive I asked her how she found out and she said days ago when she came over at 4 while my husband and were out. I reminded her "didn't you promise you wouldn't use it unless there's an emergency? So You tried to get in when there was no emergency and you broke the promise you made to us!" She looked red in the face and the other family started staring and some even laughed at her for the face she made. She suddenly got up from her seat and rushed into the kitchen where she had a huge meltdown so loud the next door neighbors must've heard - literally I've never heard a 60+ year old woman throw a tantrum like that. Needless to say dinner went awkward and my husband and his sister were giving me looks. My husband went off on me in the car and said I lied and manipulated and humiliated and exposed his mom and said he wouldn't have let me get away with it had he known. We had an argument and he is demanding I apologize to his mom for my childish behavior and for ruining Christmas dinner for the whole family.

AITA?

Eta so this went off unexpectedly and I thought I'd show my husband some pretty helpful comments I found here minutes ago but he got mad at me when he saw it and said I was nuts to talk about his family online. He demanded my phone so he could delete it but I refused and I went upstairs and into the bedroom. I never seen him so agitated and I didn't think he'd react like that honestly. But thank you guys for your support. It really means so much. I'll update if I can. Thanks again :)

quote:

He blamed me one time for not locking the bedroom door which is something we never do and the second time for when she walked in on us making out in the living room. He said intimate stuff should happen in the bedroom just to be extra careful about people walking in aka his mom and saw no issue with her walking around in the apartment like she lived there.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cythereal posted:

Found the mom who likes to snoop & disrespect boundaries

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Mudlark posted:

using the copy of the key for my parents house to access the closet with my go-bag (it is full of more keys)

i look in the mirror

i am now a key

my mother is elated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I always thought the traditional go bag was a change of clothes and some cash, for someone to disappear from their current life.