Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I beat Control. Fun game great setting nice vibes. I think I'll probably do the two DLC thingies if they're any good. Hell I might do them just cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

apophenium posted:

I beat Control. Fun game great setting nice vibes. I think I'll probably do the two DLC thingies if they're any good. Hell I might do them just cause

I like the DLCs conceptually, but there are a couple setpieces that are stylistically great but annoying as hell to play. The AWE final boss fight in particular. Fiddling with the difficulty settings in the accessibility menu is pretty useful there if you get frustrated.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just beat Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age last night. I have tried most FF games, but this is the first one I ever beat.

The setting was interesting and I liked playing around with gambits, and that's about it. Vaan is the worst. Penelo's haircut is bad. The game would be unplayable without the fast forward features. All the characters just shrug through the story. The hunts could be interesting but the menus are a slog to navigate.

I'm glad I beat it, I can finally say I've beaten one of these games. That said, I don't think I'll be clearing out the rest of them any time soon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Trucker Hat posted:

I just beat Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age last night. I have tried most FF games, but this is the first one I ever beat.

The setting was interesting and I liked playing around with gambits, and that's about it. Vaan is the worst. Penelo's haircut is bad. The game would be unplayable without the fast forward features. All the characters just shrug through the story. The hunts could be interesting but the menus are a slog to navigate.

I'm glad I beat it, I can finally say I've beaten one of these games. That said, I don't think I'll be clearing out the rest of them any time soon.

I have played FF12 twice, and I still could not tell you what the game's plot is. Something about ghosts? And I remember a tower. I love its gambit mechanics, but it feel real dull in other departments.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
There's a middle chunk of FF12 that is engaging and interesting and then it just....deflates somehow. I've played it I think three times and yeah, I couldn't give much of an outline of the full plot either.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i beat Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown last night, and i have some complicated, rambling thoughts for a complicated, rambling game

as i posted about a few weeks ago, the first game of 2024 that i completed was momodora 5. that was an 8 hour metroidvania that left me incredibly underwhelmed: it had been smoothed down to the point of being far too easy. no challenge room ever took more than 60 seconds, no boss fight ever took more than a couple tries, your first pass through an area would let you access every room except one or two ones you'd obviously return to later, and by the halfway point you'd unlock equippable items that totally trivialize the combat with options for constant healing and more damage. it looked great, it sounded great, it had atmosphere, but the game was just too easy to walk through without ever putting up a memorable challenge

so when ubisoft put out their metroidvania, i figured, hey, i'll play this one on hard to counterbalance my momodora experience. whoops!

the problem with prince of persia is, unlike the 7 hour sprint of momodora, it's a 20+ hour marathon through some absolutely fiendish puzzles and fights, both required and optional. early on, hard mode was pretty fun, because it made even the earliest combat require much more effort than momodora requires by the endgame. the early bosses felt reasonable on hard, as well. at a certain point about a third of the way in, i started to hit a wall due to not having health or weapon damage upgrades, which made a couple bosses take a lot of retries, but they were still rewarding to learn and master. once i got some more upgrades i happily cruised through until about 2/3 of the way through (for those who have played: up until you get a quest objective involving constellations).

at this point, bosses just became loving mean. the difficulty change between normal and hard in prince of persia is primarily just health and damage scaling (they actually have this broken down into a bunch of different sliders you can tweak, like a lot of AAA games now - if you want to make the parry timing hard as gently caress for no reason, have at it!). so things like attack timing and parry windows were the same between normal and hard, but seemed very tuned for normal difficulty - not quite as tuned as a from software game, but still, very much designed to try to give players on normal a difficult experience. this means that on normal, you were expected to get fairly close to mastering a boss - yes, you could whiff a few parries or fail to dodge some of their larger attacks and still beat the boss, but it'd be close.

on hard, you simply have to be perfect. and that was just too much. so, yeah, i finally gave up and dropped the difficulty to normal (specifically on the orod, darius, and both varham fights). i always feel kind of bad doing this - i did this for the final bosses in like a dragon gaiden earlier this year and final fantasy 7 intermission last year - but honestly, the fights are still hard enough on normal that i absolutely feel like i accomplished something.

maybe there was more i could have done to make hard mode viable - i know there are lots of amulets i didn't try that changed things around elemental damage/resistance - but what i really needed was a DPS upgrade, and i never found the materials needed to get the +5 sword upgrade. when you get a boss into a punish phase, attack them, and barely see their screen-width life bar move... i feel like that's a sign something has gone wrong on scaling.

so, genuinely: i feel like if you want a challenging metroidvania experience, play on lost crown on hard until you reach the quest step i mentioned (maybe dropping it a bit earlier if you get stuck in that health/weapon/potion upgrade valley i mentioned). like, if you really want to micromanage the settings menu, i'd honestly say the way to play is to put it on hard when exploring and drop it to normal for all the bosses.

with my review of Hard Mode out of the way, the rest of the game: this game opens strong, and stays strong until about 3/4 in, when it starts feeling like it needs to wrap it up. i kinda thought this was my fault with spending too much time due to playing on hard, but this seems to be an opinion shared by my friends who just played on normal. i will say i absolutely am not going back to wrap up all the optional stuff right now - i'm hoping they end up doing some DLC for this game, and i'll happily revisit some of the harder platforming challenges then, but right now, i never want to see another rolling spike trap again.

the story is a disaster, and this is the most Known Shippable-rear end game i've ever seen. it being ubisoft, it's really easy to assume how this came out how it did: they had a massive network of support studios to contribute content to the game, making it massive, but had zero time or budget for polish. i think this is actually not as bad as it sounds on paper: there is something genuinely charming about the number of cutscenes with broken lip syncing and unvoiced dialogue lines in this game. i didn't encounter any progression-breaking bugs (as far as i know; it sounds like some bugs just block the side stuff which i wouldn't know if i encountered without going for a 100%). the game sets up some story concepts that should be very cool, and then wastes them all on text dumps, which is definitely the worst aspect of this.

the world I thought was pretty excellent, though. i love a metroidvania where the world is just an absurd combination of different settings for each area. i think this has that good dark souls-y thing where each area has its own sense of character and ambiance that make a game this long still feel like its mixing things up (one late-game area is absolutely the high point for this, which was both a bit disappointing in terms of "drat why couldn't everything be that creative" but also cool in that they still had tricks up their sleeves that far in).

the platforming was great, the powers were... ok, there's a couple i have beef with - the stuff-items-in-a-pocket-dimension power is way too hard to use at melee range and i'm mad some boss fights tried to get you to use it, and i also wish fewer late game boss fights relied on the ghost-warp to avoid big attacks. also putting the dimension-swap power on right stick click is insane when you have to do it in the midst of tricky-timing platforming seequences. going for a 100% requires you to do some truly celeste-level poo poo (usually without much of a time investment, at least), and i'm very curious what hour counts would look like for that. i finished at 24 hours and 75% and that felt good enough.

in the first five hours of this game, i thought i had my instant GOTY. after beating it, i'm... not ambivalent about it, but not really sure where it lands. my hope is between now and the end of the year they put in some DLC and a bunch of polish (i feel like they'll either do this or completely abandon it and lay off all of ubisoft montpellier and never make a platformer again), and that will give me an excuse to revisit it and try to get closer to 100% and see how i feel after that. if nothing else, i guess i can look forward to this game coming to steam in two years and people picking it up for $15 and going "oh wow, this game is one of the best metroidvanias of the last decade even with its flaws, shame it was such a failure" :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i also "beat" Granblue Fantasy Relink earlier this week. the quotes are because this is basically two games in one. the first game, the one i beat, is a tight, 15-20 linear single-player action-rpg. you and your AI party go on a quest to save the world. the second game, which i have yet to really start on in earnest, is a 50+ hour co-op character action game with an ever-escalating difficulty level and loot grind.

during the main campaign, you do get some downtime to go do quests that intro you to the co-op and endgame system, so it's not quite as literally split as i'd indicate, but i do want to emphasize that you can't meaningfully do co-op in this game until you complete the story

anyways, here's a surprising statement: i loving loved this game. this wasn't on my radar in the slightest until about a month ago when the playstation demo came out and a few people were raving about it. i have no familiarity with granblue, i'm not really a huge character action guy, and i feel like action rpgs tend to be games i want to like and end up not vibing with at all

this game is basically what i wish tales of arise had been. it's all killer, no filler: for ff14 players, imagine if you made a 15 hour campaign out of just the best dungeons and trials in ff14, and then replaced doing MMO rotations with some light character action combos. the "story" is kind of whatever - i hated all the characters for the first third and liked them all by the end, drat you earnest jrpg storytelling for winning me over - but the linear escalation of stakes and spectacle really works well in this game. i thought this was just going to be a nothing-game in terms of spectacle from the first couple hours - was just like "oh, this is just another game that has a look inspired by botw/genshin/bamco's anime shader technology, zzz" - and about the time that you're doing aerial boardings of enemy airships and blowing them up i started to perk up, and by the end i was in full hooting-and-hollering mode.

being inspired by a gacha, this game unsurprisingly has 20 playable characters you can unlock (thankfully not through gacha mechanics - you just get unlock tickets meted out as you do quests, and choose who you want). each character has a different feel, which reminded me, again, of ff14 - you have some melee guys, some ranged guys, and some casters, and they all have both subtle and obvious differences in how you play them. they're similar enough that it avoids being overwhelming to switch between them, though. you pick one character to control in a fight, with AI or co-op buddies acting as the rest of the party, and with AI you don't get any "command" system (other than an option to tell them to hold their limit break equivalent until you use yours). i thought this was a good middle ground of complexity - each character is relatively simple, but the game wants you to experiment with playing a lot of different characters (and, in the endgame, level them all up, at least far enough to see each character's side story).

if you have no interest in the endgame, i wouldn't recommend this at full price, but i really think anyone interested in action rpgs should snag this the moment it drops to like $40, because it is just fun as hell to play and not much of a time commitment. at no point playing this game was i having anything less than a good time. i'm gonna try to pick up the endgame in a couple months.

oh and one other note - it's loving refreshing to play an "endgame"-y game in 2024 that is both offline-first (you can turn wifi off and play it on a steam deck and progress through the endgame just fine!) and not packed with season passes and bullshit. they are gonna release some dlc and, this being based on a gacha game, i do expect there to be some hilariously expensive cosmetics, but it's not trying to upsell you at every turn

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

abraham linksys posted:

i beat Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown last night, and i have some complicated, rambling thoughts for a complicated, rambling game
:words:

Just beat this a couple days ago myself, and while I didn't play it on hard because I'm past the point in my life where difficulty meaning "gently caress-you damage sponges" appeals to me, I feel the same way about the story; it started out really interesting and making me want to know where things were going to go, but about 3/4 of the way through it becomes clear that they forgot to actually finish the story, and that carries through to the barely-an-ending.

As for the gameplay, the traversal and exploration was great and it felt really good to explore the map and there are some really good puzzles and creative use of the powers you get in solving them, but the combat largely felt like a miss to me. I'm not sure if it's a delay on my TV or how the switch version plays or a combination of the two, but it took longer than I would have liked to get used to the way parrying works, it felt like if I didn't hit the parry button at the very moment the enemy's attack animation started and not when it actually looks like they're swinging at you, you're getting owned. Oddly this did not apply to projectiles though, which I had no problem parrying except for when you're surrounded by archers and you can't just do a rapid direction+parry button to deflect from all sides; if you're fighting something in one direction and an arrow sails toward your back from offscreen, you're just eating that damage. Wasn't so bad that I couldn't finish and enjoy the game as a whole, but it felt like they were trying to do a 2D soulslike thing but they didn't stick the landing, especially if you've played something like Dead Cells where they do it much better. It does get more tolerable once you have a few sword upgrades, but that highlights another thing - I also felt like they start you out too weak and until you get a couple upgrades everything feels like a slog to kill.

It's a shame too, because I really enjoyed everything outside of that. Getting through the puzzles felt really fun and rewarding, and the environments are interesting to explore, I think you should give them more of a shot if you find yourself coming back to the game. The only complaint I had there is the amount you have to backtrack to get to areas that you want to go back to explore once you have the abiities to access them. The warp zones are far too sparse and feel unnecessary when they could just use the arkenstones bonfires grace sites wak-wak trees instead, especially since they're where you warp to when you die.

And I didn't find the bosses to be that bad, but that's probably because I thoroughly explored every new area and found enough of the coins upgrade cellphone things to max my swords and best amulets out, along with getting enough amulet slots to stack all the good damage boosting amulets. I don't recall any bosses that necessitated using the Kirby ability but I agree that they didn't really make much good use of it except for using it to remove obstacles to new areas.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I recently beat earthbound and dark Souls 3.

Earthbound was very much fun and silly as expected. A lot more tricky combat encounter puzzles than I expected in a good way.

Technically I also beat DS3 though there's still two hard boss fights to go on the Ringed City. I'm going to beat them before I turn back and finish ER

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Trucker Hat posted:

I would say if you are ever interested - 12 is not the game I would point towards people to be like the end all be all. 1, 6, 7 and 9 would be my picks. And good news all those have xp boosts and fast forward mechanics in them now on steam.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FF12 is one of my favorite FF games but it is very rambling and easy to forget about the main plot. I tend to describe it in contrast to FFX, which is just a story tube (a very well done one, neither of these are comments on quality). Vaan, the "main character" finishes his arc early in the game and hands it off fully to Ashe but in a way that's not really obvious except in hindsight so it's easy to be waiting for the plot to get back to him.

I'm currently re-running it for a monthly fiesta and the difficult part is actually staying on the main plotline instead of spending all month exploring the side areas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Granblue Fantasy Relink - Had been waiting for this JRPG to release since its announcement in 2017. It went through absolute development hell, and at one point I gave up on it ever coming out and assumed it would be canceled. And then it finally got a release date out of no where last year, and its finally out. It was worth the long loving wait. Holy poo poo this game is amazing, and is one of my favorite titles of 2024 already. Like it has cemented itself as a top 10 without question. The main story campaign is really short, like 10 - 15 hours to complete, so where Relink really shines is in its overwhelmingly massive end game and grind. You'll slowly work your way through bosses and multiple difficulties, farming materials to upgrade your weapons, and sigils, and you do this for a large selection of characters. You need to build a party of four characters (or do co-op online), and its just really fun if you're the kinda person that lives numbers going up up up. The only thing I would really like to see improved is for there to be cross platform play between PC and PlayStation, its really disappointing that this is not a thing.

10/10

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

Earthbound was very much fun and silly as expected. A lot more tricky combat encounter puzzles than I expected in a good way.

Earthbound is the best RPG on the SNES. THE BEST. If you liked EB and haven't already played it, I highly recommend Mother 3 for the GBA. You'll have to track down an english translation romhack, but it's killer.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Narzack posted:

Earthbound is the best RPG on the SNES. THE BEST. If you liked EB and haven't already played it, I highly recommend Mother 3 for the GBA. You'll have to track down an english translation romhack, but it's killer.

Mother 3 is a loving trip, which as a diehard Earthbound fan is saying something. It does some neat stuff with combat, the music is good and it definitely has its moments - just not quite the slam dunk I'd hoped for but overall, a worthwhile experience nonetheless.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I preferred Earthbound over Mother 3. There's just something about how down-to-earth it is (well, relatively speaking), I really like the journey through a small town Americana, rather than the setting of Mother 3.

I will never forget how when I first got the game I was under the impression that the first weapon you get, a Cracked Bat, was a flying marsupial that...had a crack in it or something? Zero idea how I ever came to that conclusion.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

That Dang Dad posted:

Finished CHANTS this weekend too and I loved it.

The puzzles/language deduction mechanics are almost always very intellectually satisfying. They aren't too hard, you could brute force it if you want, but I think they are just really solidly designed puzzles that give you a burst of happy juice when you figure it out.

Even if you think the puzzles are too easy, the environments are BEAUTIFUL. I loved every second hanging out in the tower. It's got that kind of SABLE artstyle that makes everything feel like a painting or something.

Loved it but near the end they started making translation too easy, especially with all the Rosetta Stone assistance. The less help you got the more engaging it was

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I finally got around to finishing Yakuza 0 the other day after starting it when I got my steam deck last March.

Honestly this series was one of the things I was most excited about getting the deck for because every time I've tried to get into it previously I've been stunted by the being a parent and it having 3 hour long cutscenes thing but with the deck's sleep mode this no longer matters!

0 was a bit of a slog though. I really enjoyed it once things really kicked off in the last 3rd or so. I liked all the characters a lot.

Rolled straight into Kiwami after finishing and it feels like it hits the ground running and has a much more exciting pace than the beginning of 0. Loving it!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I beat En Garde! yesterday, it's a short game but what a blast it is to play. The combat is sort of like the Batman Arkham games in that you are often dealing with crowds of multiple enemies surrounding you and you have a wide variety of acrobatic moves to get around them, but unlike Batman, you can't just mash parry to get yourself out of trouble when every enemy wants to stab you at the same time. It's actually kind of like Sekiro in that defeating enemies depends more on draining their stamina bar rather than just wearing down a health bar, enemies can switch up between parryable and non-parryable attacks, and you have to be deliberate with your sword strikes in order to get some hits in before someone hits you. Being able to separate the weakest enemies from the pack and stab them out one by one is key to survival.

What sets it apart from the combat in either of those games though, is that you also have to make heavy use of environmental obstacles, as you can kick boxes and crates to trip them up, lure them into traps like swinging cages or falling chandeliers, or ignite cannons or other explosives to blow them away (although the game goes out of its way to make it clear that nobody ever dies here, they're just knocked out or too exhausted to fight you anymore). Along with other things like throwing whatever is within arm's reach like tossing a pot on their head or throwing dust in their eyes to temporarily blind them so you can kick them down a flight of stairs or into a weapons rack to pin them down, these all do heavy stamina damage so you can finish them off, or just to get them out of the way for a couple seconds so you can finish off a different enemy. It has to be played to really understand, but it's the first game in a long time where I would consider to combat to be exciting, like even when I spent more game time dying on the final boss battle than in the entire rest of the game combined, it was still just such an absolute joy to play. I hope they make more episodes, because currently the game is only four episodes and can easily be finished in less than 5 hours if you're good at videogames.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

LeFishy posted:

I finally got around to finishing Yakuza 0 the other day after starting it when I got my steam deck last March.

Honestly this series was one of the things I was most excited about getting the deck for because every time I've tried to get into it previously I've been stunted by the being a parent and it having 3 hour long cutscenes thing but with the deck's sleep mode this no longer matters!

0 was a bit of a slog though. I really enjoyed it once things really kicked off in the last 3rd or so. I liked all the characters a lot.

Rolled straight into Kiwami after finishing and it feels like it hits the ground running and has a much more exciting pace than the beginning of 0. Loving it!

I need to get back around to Y0, it's the first and only Yakuza game I've played and I fell off it a couple years ago because as you said, the beginning is such a slog and I couldn't bring myself to get past it when there were other games to play that interested me more at the time.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

LeFishy posted:

It’s a mostly inferior game by consequence of being a remake of the original game in the series. This means some bullshit boss fights and very unremarkable sidequests. There’s a boss health regen mechanic that you have to counter with the appropriating fighting style’s “kiwami” heat finisher. That isn’t so great. Majima Everywhere is also really fun but can wear out it’s welcome when you’re trying to get somewhere and suprise, here’s multiple health bars Majima out of nowhere.

The story is also weaker, but is helped considerably by having played 0. It gives everything more stakes and context.

My advice would be don’t get too hung up on side content in this one. Kiwami 2 gets the good stuff, and is on a shiny new modern engine. It also happened to be a killer sequel when it originally came out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yakuza 8 sort of has that same extremely slow beginning, but I had the benefit of being kinda brain-fogged when I played it, so I just treated it as an interactive movie that I didn't have to think very much about, which I actually really liked. Just chilling on the couch while my man Ichiban's life just falls apart around him.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

man nurse posted:

There’s a boss health regen mechanic that you have to counter with the appropriating fighting style’s “kiwami” heat finisher. That isn’t so great.

Unless I'm severely misremembering, any weapon heat actions will break the regen too. I chumped most of the bosses out of that poo poo by having Kiryu carry a sword at all times.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yakuza 0 is so good. Majima's fighting styles are a lot of fun to use, and it's neat to see them come back(although, I suppose that might be backwards, didn't 1 come out before 0?) in Kiwami. I loved the wild tonal shifts, going from goofy cabaret stuff to dudes fully shotgunning hapless fools in the face, reuniting families and then, in the next quest, like, just beating on hapless nerds mercilessly, then back to heavy Yakuza duty themes.

So cool.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Narzack posted:

Yakuza 0 is so good. Majima's fighting styles are a lot of fun to use, and it's neat to see them come back(although, I suppose that might be backwards, didn't 1 come out before 0?) in Kiwami. I loved the wild tonal shifts, going from goofy cabaret stuff to dudes fully shotgunning hapless fools in the face, reuniting families and then, in the next quest, like, just beating on hapless nerds mercilessly, then back to heavy Yakuza duty themes.

So cool.

The juxtaposition these games pull off of deadly serious crime drama mixed with wacky “how did I get involved in this poo poo” sidequests and activities is part of what makes the series so unlike anything else on the market. They’re also relatively small environments but absolutely dense with life and content.

I love the slice of life stuff viewed through the lens of absurdity. It plays nicely alongside the otherwise completely played straight main stories.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
You can have a chicken named Nugget as a business manager.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just beat the story of Granblue Fantasy Relink. Not sure if I'm gonna play the postgame but the main quest was wonderful mix of RPG and character action game. Saying it's a tutorial for the real game is selling it short. It's well paced and the action keeps escalating to ridiculous heights.

Hopefully they'll add more story content eventually or do a sequel of some sort.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I have finished The Zodiac Trial, a visual novel that is heavily inspired by the Zero Escape trilogy. The game is remarkably good considering how obvious the lack of a budget is. I really like the character writing and the death game within the story was interesting enough for me to spend entirely too long thinking about it and if it would be possible to turn into a decent forum game. The final mystery is difficult but mostly fair. While I did get it wrong I had been on the right track until I got tripped up over some misunderstanding on my part.

It needed another editing pass to catch some (occasionally really important) typos, and a few routes don't think through the rules of the game enough to hold up under scrutiny. Considering how much time is spent going over the rules you would think the mechanics of the death game would have been relevant in a lot more routes than it actually was. There are more routes where the rules are completely changed by a unique item in a way that completely abandons the base game than there are routes that engage with the base game mechanics.

It's a bit funny to me that Mouse is such a mean girl to Sheep. Sure, she gives everyone some sass, but she just does not relent in any one on one conversation with Sheep. At one point she even gives her the "you should learn to take a joke" line after saying something terrible. It's funnier in the route where Sheep is the killer. Mouse is insulting her so much while doing a bad job investigating her crime scenes that Sheep starts giving her strong hints about how they actually happened just to have some way to put Mouse in her place.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Not the first time I've gotten off-planet in Rimworld but I just wrapped up a real long game (Basically the only thing I played in the last 6 weeks other than a single run through Robocop) by getting like 38 pawns into space.

I immediately tried to start a new, themed run (A lost squad of Spess Mehreens building a small monastery-fort) but I'm thoroughly Rimmed out and couldn't generate any interest. Which is good because I got a thousand other things to play.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I just beat Resident Evil 7. Marguerite fight in the greenhouse was definitely the highlight for me, but it was all pretty great except for maybe the puzzle aspect which was kind of weak. I did a piss poor job of getting all of the collectables but I'm just going to move on to 8 and revisit it later to see the other endings. Why would you give the antidote to Zoe? Although I guess I might reevaluate my relationship if my partner stabbed me a few times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

caleb posted:

Why would you give the antidote to Zoe?

I did that every time, except once to see if anything changed in the ending :sweatdrop:

By the way, my standard recommendation after beating that game is to play the End of Zoe DLC, ideally going in blind if you don't know anything about it already. DLC's always iffy, but that one's about my favorite thing in the whole franchise in its own crazy way.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I just beat Yakuza: Like a Dragon, in anticipation of picking up Infinite Wealth. It took me years to do it, but it was worth it in the end. Love you Ichiban, buddy, you are doing so good and trying so hard and are so brave and :lovebird:

On to Honolulu, where I will build the finest resort known to mankind! And maybe some other stuff.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
RE7 choice: I gave the antidote to Zoe first because she was helping me the whole game, and she also saw her family turn into crazy monsters. All because of Mia, who also lied to you and was part of transporting a bio weapon.

The fact that that choice leads to the bad end still annoys me. The fact that there's a dumb choice like that at all is annoying.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

caleb posted:

I just beat Resident Evil 7. Marguerite fight in the greenhouse was definitely the highlight for me, but it was all pretty great except for maybe the puzzle aspect which was kind of weak. I did a piss poor job of getting all of the collectables but I'm just going to move on to 8 and revisit it later to see the other endings. Why would you give the antidote to Zoe? Although I guess I might reevaluate my relationship if my partner stabbed me a few times.
Each of the DLC is worth a try. Best Resident Evil.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth: Perfect game, the story is insane and convoluted, but heart warming, dark, funny, and emotional all in equal parts. Its so well done and paced. The side content is completely insane. Infinite Wealth feels like the Avengers MCU movies of JRPGs. Bringing multiple decades of Yakuza games and their plots together to resolve long standing plots and characters. Its incredible, and so well done. This is a very ambitious game, but Sega perfectly limited themselves and what they could do in order to not let the gigantic scope get out of hand. The game is massive, but self contained to multiple small areas, with Hawaii being the biggest. It works really well.

10/10 - top five best games of 2024 without question

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Last night my partner and I finished our couch co-op playthrough of Baldur’s Gate 3. As somebody who’s played through D:OS 2, it’s really incredible both how free you are to approach things in such a wide variety of ways, probably even better than their previous games — but also how rickety the UX is when using a controller, in some ways even worse than their previous games. And as somebody who’s never played D&D before, I feel like they’ve done a great job making a really complex system accessible, while at the same time not quite going far enough to explain a lot of concepts.

It’s totally deserving of all the praise it gets and from watching a couple of people stream the game I can already see we missed lots of content even though it felt like we were being super thorough (~220 hrs!); we’ll definitely give it a second playthrough. I’m going to look into some mods to make the interface less painful beforehand, though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN: Defeated the final boss while wearing a fedora because it happened to be the strongest headgear I had at the time. Battle system is the highlight of the game but always felt a bit clunky to me, largely because you can't animation cancel out of your R1 swings to counter incoming attacks. Party members all feel the same irrespective of which class you assign them, you hit left and right on the d-pad on cooldown to make them use abilities and output some more damage but otherwise they just thow out basic attacks and serve as distractions. Magic seemed a bit overpowered, the Sage class specifically since casting Ultima once would drain about 3/4 of a boss's stamina bar. Most of the harder fights were just a matter of playing keepaway until I could do that and then finish them off right after. Sophia was the only party member who felt like she had a real impact on battles because she can gain the Sage class from an optional mission and will use healing/Ultima occasionally. Level design and environments were forgettable, mostly corridors that feel like they were pieced together with stock assets. Story never maintains a sense of continuity because of how the underlying structure works, you're very much doing a series of isolated dungeons rather than moving through a larger world. Never felt any need to engage with the gear system, the game floods you with equipment dropped from every enemy you kill and you have to spend time dismantling or discarding things once you quickly hit your inventory max of 600 items. There's so much junk that they even added an extensive auto-dismantle system to break things down at the end of missions, resulting in tons of crafting mats which I never used. Maybe you need to pay attention to gear for the unlockable Chaos difficulty and whatever optional bosses I missed but it was easy to ignore all the stats completely. I just used auto-equip the whole game so everyone always looked ridiculous.

That all sounds kind of negative but I mostly enjoyed the playthrough. Don't think I'd recommend it at full price but I picked it up on heavy sale, probably worth it if you catch it at a 50% discount or over. 7/10

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 12, 2024

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yes, gear set bonuses and modifiers come into play heavily on the extra difficulties, which you need to start working on to do the DLCs. Autoequip works just fine for the main game clear, which in fairness is basically how Team Ninja does that style of game.

They’re very cool DLCs.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I did that every time, except once to see if anything changed in the ending :sweatdrop:

By the way, my standard recommendation after beating that game is to play the End of Zoe DLC, ideally going in blind if you don't know anything about it already. DLC's always iffy, but that one's about my favorite thing in the whole franchise in its own crazy way.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Each of the DLC is worth a try. Best Resident Evil.

Thank you for the recommendations. I started End of Zoe last night. Good stuff.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

I just beat 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim last night. Not a perfect game, but the plot absolutely grabbed me and never let go. What an underappreciated gem of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

5-Headed Snake God posted:

What an underappreciated gem of a game.

Uh... thought this game was raved about pretty universally and got tons of GotY nominations when it came out?